legokuate

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 4 discussion

I'm looking forward to that fencing guy, his sword looks cool.

I actually hope they stop with Series 4, this is getting very expensive.

I'm looking forward to that fencing guy, his sword looks cool.

I just read on 1000Steine.de, that on the shipping boxes for the Lego sellers, is written "x of 29 "! The x got replaced with the number of the Minifigseries...(e.g. 1 of 29 -> series 1,

2 of 29 -> series 2 ....etc)

So you'll probably spend some more money. :grin:

Woah! I did see all the smaller pics before and hoped for the new viking to turn out well. And, like,... BOOM! Shield, torso-print, 3L bar as axe-handle, legs-print, FACE! All gorgeous! This face will so replace that generic "orangebeard-viking/castle-king-face" one of my most beloved figs (sadly) still wears (and has worn ever since...). Now I still need to figure whether to get me few dozen of these or not. Mixing this fig's pieces with existing viking outfits could be the bomb.

And of course it was too much to ask for a "realistic" representation of norse cranial protective wear (as in: no horns!), as the existing piece obviously has some mileage left for TLC. Minor gripe.

All the others are cool as well. I wonder though, as to how the hazmat-suit connects to that spray-gun/pump the fig holds...

And I definitely prefer the Monster 4's werewolf head over the S4 one.

Did everyone else note that purple stain on the artist's pants? Strangely there's no purple on his palette... (Yes, there's red and blue, but no indication of the two blobs actually being mixed for purple!)

Woah! I did see all the smaller pics before and hoped for the new viking to turn out well. And, like,... BOOM! Shield, torso-print, 3L bar as axe-handle, legs-print, FACE! All gorgeous!

I agree, this pic really makes me want to get multiple vikings as well! He looks great!

All the others are cool as well. I wonder though, as to how the hazmat-suit connects to that spray-gun/pump the fig holds...

And I definitely prefer the Monster 4's werewolf head over the S4 one.

I dunno... I think the new one is more "minifig-ish". The eyes are where I particularly prefer the new one.

At first I thought Frankenstein's head was a whole new mold, but with that closer view, I'm thinking it's just a regular minifig head with a very convincing headpiece.

IMO, it's like the elf hairpiece from Series 3. It looks like Lego is getting accustomed to painting head pieces now :classic:

IMO, it's like the elf hairpiece from Series 3. It looks like Lego is getting accustomed to painting head pieces now :classic:

It's been noted, but it is indeed a very good place for a re-paint. It actually looks like a were-wolf. As in, you can still tell it's human.

I have not commented on the figures yet,so I will now!I am not really interested in any of them except for the Hazmat guy,But that's just my opinion.(I am a sci-fi guy! :wink: )

I just read on 1000Steine.de, that on the shipping boxes for the Lego sellers, is written "x of 29 "! The x got replaced with the number of the Minifigseries...(e.g. 1 of 29 -> series 1,

2 of 29 -> series 2 ....etc)

So you'll probably spend some more money. :grin:

So this is planned to run for 29 series? It makes me wonder why not an even 30, but even 29- that'll be what, 7 years worth of Collectible Minifigs?

Sorry if that sounded dumb, I haven't been keeping up with this thread well. :blush:

Edited by Brickdoctor

Actually, I've been thinking about this as well... we're spending typically over $50 each wave just to get one set (forget about the box-buyers, that's another story entirely). I guess as long as the quality and creative choices of figs remains high, I'm still interested in continuing a perfect set of the collectible minifigs. But if they were to get repetitive or uninspired, at some point you have to ask yourself 'when do I stop getting every one of each series?'

I think with Series 4 they may have set the high water mark... How can TLG top this in Series 5?

(The ball is now officially in your court, Lego :tongue: )

Great find, these let you see each fig without the overlap. the viking looks amazing! :wub:

Or 12. But I agree, 16 is too many.

I think there's a real marketing reason for having 16 figs. Suppose you have 16 flavors of ice cream. If you make all 16 available, you'll cater to a large and diverse audience. But if you sell only 8 flavors, there's a chance that some people might have no interest in any of those eight flavors. Thus fewer people will be interested in buying ice cream from you at all.

The same applies to the collectible minifigures. If LEGO were to release eight minifigures each series, it would be a lot easier for people to give a series they weren't interested in a "pass". With 16 minifigures in a series, the appeal for the minifigure packs in general is a lot broader, because the likelihood of at least one figure grabbing a random individual's interest is a lot higher.

I think there's a real marketing reason for having 16 figs. Suppose you have 16 flavors of ice cream. If you make all 16 available, you'll cater to a large and diverse audience. But if you sell only 8 flavors, there's a chance that some people might have no interest in any of those eight flavors. Thus fewer people will be interested in buying ice cream from you at all.

The same applies to the collectible minifigures. If LEGO were to release eight minifigures each series, it would be a lot easier for people to give a series they weren't interested in a "pass". With 16 minifigures in a series, the appeal for the minifigure packs in general is a lot broader, because the likelihood of at least one figure grabbing a random individual's interest is a lot higher.

I suppose the mistake we made, then, was thinking in the interests of saving money, whereas TLG, who actually has control of this thing, want's us to spend money. :laugh:

I'm not sure what the problem is with people who don't want so many figures in each series. They could have 50 in each series and I'd love it. It's not like I'm gonna be buying all of them, I not gonna like all of them anyway. Why would I buy a Pop Star when I don't like the figure? Only because it's in the series? Lol, that's crazy.

I'm not sure what the problem is with people who don't want so many figures in each series. They could have 50 in each series and I'd love it. It's not like I'm gonna be buying all of them, I not gonna like all of them anyway. Why would I buy a Pop Star when I don't like the figure? Only because it's in the series? Lol, that's crazy.

Blind packaging.

--

The thing is that some of us actually do want to get them all. Also, with so many figs per series, the theme will burn out soon whereas it would be optimal to have it last indefinitely...

Hi numbers also increase the chance of getting filler minifigs.

Edited by vexorian

Blind packaging.

--

The thing is that some of us actually do want to get them all. Also, with so many figs per series, the theme will burn out soon whereas it would be optimal to have it last indefinitely...

Saying it will "burn out soon" is a big assumption that people have been making since Series 2, and from what I've seen nothing's come of it. Also, "filler minifigs" is a very subjective matter. Some people disliked the Space Villain and would have considered it "filler" and an excuse to throw around mismatched pieces, while other people (like myself) were nuts about it and considered it one of the most brilliant figs of Series 3.

The blind packaging, of course is a real factor that makes less minifigures better (for the buyer, anyway). A 1-in-8 chance of getting the fig you want is a lot better than a 1-in-16 chance. And with 8 figs you stand to get the full collection in far fewer purchases (vexorian, was that you who calculated the average amount you'd have to buy randomly to complete a full collection? Or am I confusing you with someone else?).

Of course, there's no telling whether this is a concern LEGO has. Certainly the factor I mentioned in my last post might have a greater impact on sales than buyers LEGO can already count on to try and complete a whole collection. If you're already trying to complete a collection from each series, then you're essentially telling LEGO that they can still get your money from a sixteen-figs-per-series sales model. So it would be hard to convince them that an eight-figs-per-series sales model would be more profitable. The best way for them to guarantee the maximum profit would be to appeal to the people who aren't dead-set on a full collection-- people who are only interested in a smaller gamble, with a few particular figs grabbing their interest.

That's fair enough, but I would rather quality over quantity. 16 flavours of ice cream is good, but when the first few are nice, and you end up with ridiculous flavours as the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th, I draw the conclusion I would rather have eight. But, unlike the ice creams, the minifigures are blindly packaged, meaning that the buyer is going to end up with the last few ridiculous minifigures, which would probabley decrease the interest in the line. You could also assume that if Lego realeased less minifigures per line, we would have more quality and care in their design, and we wouldn't end up with the sumo restler. I see where you are coming from, but as the series goes on, I reckon the appeal of the figures will drop as they run out of fresh ideas as they try to get 16 out of every line. I think Lego already are running dry on ideas, especially with this new line. I just don't think that 16 is better than 8.

16 flavours of ice cream is good, but when the first few are nice, and you end up with ridiculous flavours as the 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th,... But, unlike the ice creams, the minifigures are blindly packaged,...

Yet still you omit, that those exact "ridiculous" flavours maybe other folks' favourites. And customers know beforehand they won't know what they're getting with blind packaging, giving them the option to either dare taking their chances and trade or sell away the unwanted "ridiculouses" or step away from the transaction completely should they find the odds unbefitting for their tastes. It's a compromise either way, anyway...

I think Lego already are running dry on ideas, especially with this new line.

And how, may I ask for the forum collective, are you getting that impression?

The Sumo, and that I give you, is a bit bland. Yet there's only so much you could do to represent a naked fat dude in minifig-form. Some knottet belt printing on the back would have mended the situation a bit, yet the figure is accurate to what it is portraying no less than, say, the zombie or cheerleader.

As for fresh ideas: I just need to open my window to get me an aweful lot of inspiration for future minifigures. And even some repetition on already existing concepts/professions are welcome as long as they explore some new aspect of it. Best examples: S4's skater and surfer!

As S1 had only a limited production run and lots of people missed out on them (esp. in the US!) TLC is actually giving customers a new chance to get one. And at the same time approaching the "skater" concept in a fresh way. And at the same time introducing most welcome parts in most welcome colours (grey beanie-hat /w fancy print anyone? Me likes!). Same's true for the surfer girl with new face, torso* and hair in new colour.

*which is also a sci-fi-tight design in my books, a fact that just ADDS to the cool factor.

Perhaps you might just take a quick scan through this fine thread on EB, showing precisely that, when folks HERE are having a myriad of perfectly usable ideas, the designers at TLC, who are professionally trained to work creatively, might just be as productive, don't you think? ;-)

Imagine!

Be well, all!

Cutty

Edited by Cutty

Yet still you omit, that those exact "ridiculous" flavours maybe other folks' favourites. And customers know beforehand they won't know what they're getting with blind packaging, giving them the option to either dare taking their chances and trade or sell away the unwanted "ridiculouses" or step away from the transaction completely should they find the odds unbefitting for their tastes. It's a compromise either way, anyway...

And how, may I ask for the forum collective, are you getting that impression?

The Sumo, and that I give you, is a bit bland. Yet there's only so much you could do to represent a naked fat dude in minifig-form. Some knottet belt printing on the back would have mended the situation a bit, yet the figure is accurate to what it is portraying no less than, say, the zombie or cheerleader.

I am not getting the impression from people, its my impression, as everything I have written, it is opinion based. For me the line has lost its charm and appeal already, as only a few minifigure appeal to me now. The fact that it potrays a character well has no bearing on whether I will like it or not. I liked the mummy from series 3 but that is not what a mummy would look like in real life. Addmitedly it is a fictional character but it is the first figure that popped into my mind.

If I am honest, if I went to a shop, bought 5 packets of figures, and disliked all of them, I really wouldn't be bothered to sell them. I don't really see it as a compromise. I understand what you are saying, but there are going to be figures that the majority dislike, and everyone selling them really isn't going anywhere.

Blind packaging.

See, I don't even consider it blind packaging when there are very easy-to-use charts around to get the figs you want. The barcodes were annoying but the bumps are very easy to see.

And what exactly is a "filler" minifig? They're all useful! I may not like all of them but they all have a unique purpose.

See, I don't even consider it blind packaging when there are very easy-to-use charts around to get the figs you want. The barcodes were annoying but the bumps are very easy to see.

And what exactly is a "filler" minifig? They're all useful! I may not like all of them but they all have a unique purpose.

I think in each wave there is a general consensus that one or more minifigure isn't as attractive or useful as the others; these usually appear more frequently and when people bought boxes the highest probability figures were the least desirable. They weren't poorly designed mind you; it's just that very few of us have use of something like a crash-test dummy in MOC's or something as specific as a Mexican wrestler, and so while they may be a neat idea, from a usefulness perspective, one could call them "filler". I look at them as the non-essential figures you wouldn't want unless you were just collecting to have a full set.