BobaFett

How you got into lego star wars

In early 1999 I was leafing through men's magazine and happened across a picture of Luke's X-wing (7140) and LEGO Star Wars being promoted in one of the articles. I'm pretty sure my face must have lit up at that point, big kid! I watched the stores like a hawk after that day and it wasn't too long before I picked up my first LEGO Star Wars sets. Hooray for clever publicity!

I've been a Lego fan since... holy cow, 1989 or so I suppose. My brothers and I always wanted Lego Star Wars, and we definitely built our own versions before the official licensed sets were released in 1999. I remember the day we saw the first hint at Lego Star Wars - a Lego Naboo fighter on one of the little "magazinettes" that used to come with the big sets. Between my brothers and I, we collected nearly all the SW sets from '99, and I've been collecting ever since. :yoda::vader::thumbup:

I was only six when I got my first LSW set in 2000- a combo pack, containing the Slave I and Naboo Starfighter. After I got rid of my collection and went into a brief dark age (which I now of course highly regret) As well, one of the last sets I bought before Dark Age was 2006's Slave I, which I built in the car on the way to Toronto or something when I was twelve. Now, as an older TFOL, I hope to buy the 2010 Slave I to make up for my loss! Not much I can do about the Naboo Starfighter, unfortunately.

I've had Lego since I was a little kid, my parents bought it for me. The first Star Wars set I got was the Ultimate Collector Series X-Wing (I think that is what is was called). The set was normally around $150.00, but I got it on clearance for about $1.50, it was missing a small bag of parts and the sticker sheet. I'm not sure if I had seen any of the Star Wars movies yet, I'd seen parts of them though. I kept collecting Star Wars Lego and eventually saw all the movies, and now I watch the Clone Wars TV show. I've really gotten into Star wars since I started buying some of the Lego sets. I also started collecting Star Wars comics, books, and trading cards.

This got me into Lego Star Wars. I saw it on sale at the toy store and said why not? Then I had to get a Snowspeeder. :classic:

walker.jpg

It's funny how I started. I got Jedi Defense 1. At the time, it was the first scene of the first episode. :laugh: Jedi Defense 2 followed, along with with the other 5 dollar sets in that area. Then came Ewok Attack, Tusken Raider Encounter, and everything went awesome when I got Jabba's Palace, both add-ons, and later, his sail barge. :classic:

I was in a Walmart in Germany (back then it was called Wertkauf) and happened to walk by the toy aisle and saw 7150 Tie-Fighter and Y-wing and immediately went from being 21yrs old to 11 again. I bought every SW set they had that year.

I'm not a big LEGO SW fan, but I grew up with the OT (I was 10 when Star Wars was released... they didn't call it "a new hope" back then, it was just Star Wars).

Around the time LEGO started selling sets, my mom (knowing my Star Wars nerdiness) gave me a 7127 (Imperial AT-ST, with Chewbacca).

I didn't really get into it at that time, because I felt it was too expensive, but I appreciated the gift and started buying the minis.

Then there was a couple of Black Friday sales... for a few years in a row, I got the 4483 AT-AT for about half price; the next year I got the 4504 Millennium Falcon for roughly half the price, and the next year I got 4502 Dagobah X-Wing.

It was around that time I was discovering LEGO trains, and the LEGO Store opened at one of our local malls... started making frequent trips, and decided that, since I had so much and many of the ships (like the TIE Fighters) weren't that much, so started buying them, too. I missed out on a lot, but I've managed to either build from my own parts or trade for other various TIE fighters, Y-Wing, and with the recent releases I got the Landspeeder, and am eying the Slave 1.

How did i get into LSW?

I was searching through Zellers in March 2005 to see if they had any new Episode III toys out yet, when i came upon the "Grievous Wheelbike Chase" set. Not only was it out 2 weeks early, the price was mislabeled, so when it rang up at 29.99, i pointed to the price sticker that read "7.97". I went back the next day to see if i could find another deal, but all the episode III stuff had all been taken down.

After that, i got a V-Wing, then a TIE Interceptor, and a couple older sets (Boba's Slave I, and Obiwan's JSF) from a friend of mine on the local SW collecting board. Since i don't have much room for full sets, i just collect the minifigures.

i only got into lego star wars in 2005, even though i bought the games, i could never afford a set. in 2007, at the leicester space museum of all places, my love for lego star wars and star wars in general was re-ignited. i bought the droid battle pack(quite foolishly, i should have bought the clone one) and a crappy lightsaber. sadly, i have now lost most of the pieces. after this, my interest thinned again until the force unleashed hit stores, but i couldn't afford the rogue shadow, which was really annoying. around july this year, i was playing on force unleashed again and strangely, i fell in love with lego star wars again. since then, i have bought 4 sets, a clone walker battle pack, a snowtrooper battle pack, the battle of endor and plo koon's starfighter. the sad thing is that i missed so many good sets. i now scoure amazon, ebay and occasionaly bricklink(i'm from uk) to find old sets cheap.

Star Wars has been a part of me since I was three years old. I was well into my 'Dark Ages' when one day I walked into a drug store near my office for some cough drops, and there it was...

7128-1.jpg

The lure of Biker Scouts in minifig form was just too much for me to deny, and before I even knew what I was doing I, as a total non-AFOL, took that set home. The rest was history, and almost every OT minifig-scale set later (save the Death Star, original MF, Droid Escape, Jabba's Skiff, the new Slave 1, and the Rebel Blockade Runner), I'm semi-retired from Lego Star Wars.

I'm sure a Wampa Cave is in my near future, and I'm still weighing the pros & cons between the Rebel Blockade Runner and the Imperial Flagship... anyone care to argue the case?

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

I have always loved Star Wars,

And as a kid someone got me the first lego game on the playstation

I then got the droid battle pack and BAM! my world is lego starwars!

I get all my older sets from Traders and E-bay.

well thats my story, not a very interesting one but yet a story

S.t.G

I grew up with Star Wars- played endlessly with the old kenner figures. Also grew up with Lego. Shame is, I didn't realize how great the two could be together until after Ep. 1 came out. The rest is obsession, whoops, I mean history.

I got into Lego SW, when I got my first set, 4495 Mini AT-TE for christmas. I spent many hours playing with it and letting my imagination go wild. :blush:

From then I didn't buy another set until the 2007 Battle packs which I got, from then I have bought some sets from the past but mostly the sets that are in stores. :sweet:

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

it was the UCS imperial star destroyer for me.. saw it in a shop 4 years ago.. thought it was expensive so i didnt get it as i just started working.. saw it again 4 years later at double the price but i had a little more spending power.. so i got it..

then i decided to just get the iconic sets just to have a little collection.. 23 sets later i'm almost complete with the ships n vehicles collection (i collect only from ep 4, 5 and 6).. its when i realised.. THEY R ALL ICONIC!!

could the money be better spent somewhere else? maybe.. but i wouldnt be half as happy.. :tongue:

Always been a Star Wars fan especially the ships and vehicles, Rogue Squaron and Star Destroyers.

Played with Lego when young and had a great, creative time.

Merge Star Wars and Lego together and it's a recipe for disaster for my wallet.

Held off temptation until I saw the UCS Star Destroyer. Then the Falcon. Then the Imperial Shuttle.

Waiting for cavegod's actual scale AT-AT to hit the stores, or maybe a full scaled MC-80 Hangar, or a Star Destroyer Bridge.... ;p

I grew up in the 1970's and 80's, a Star Wars fan and a Lego fan. The first set I can remember was the outstanding Lego Galaxy Explorer. Thirty some years later, my son received the Echo Base set as a Christmas Gift and we were off! 40+ sets later, the whole family now loves Legos and I'm trying to get the great sets I missed. Long way to go, but it sure is a whole lot of fun!

Can't wait to build this!

ultimate-collectors-millennium-falcon-10179.jpg

Edited by mrfootball

Bought my son Anakin's Jedi Starfighter (7669) made me go back to my childhood and get some old sets out of my mums attic

Well, to make a long story short I like Lego and I like Star Wars. So I like Lego Star Wars! :laugh:

My first set was called Jabba's prize, it came with Boba Fett, Han Solo in carbonite, and one of those palace guard things. :classic:

The year 1999, I had just seen the new movie a few days before and then my birthday hit, one of my received gifts was the naboo swamp set, one look at the Battle-droid and I was sold. (a few "dark" years after '05 but now I'm back on the Star Wars Lego collecting scene)

I became a huge Star Wars fan when I was younger. I remember building my own x-wing in white and grey and wishing there were a line for SW. I was a huge lego fan all together but once SW came out I was hooked and didn't really get anything other than those. I still remember going to pick up my pre-ordered x wing the day it came out, I was so happy. I actually just came out of my dark ages about 8 months ago and the Clone Wars re-ignited my passion for LSW and I have gone on a spree or two in the last ten days getting some cool sets.