I saw some pictures on brickshelf that show the Crab guy has sharp teeth on his molded head and I also saw some pictures of the temple.

Pretty sure that's torso printing.

I am surprised no-one has done a review of the larger sets yet...

Because no one has seen them in stores yet...

actually it was the Hispabricka event pics, it has three pics of the Temple and if you look to the right you can see the NinjaGo Dojo.

That golden kings printing is amazing and the spartan helmet is too and the golden head thats reversible is just amazing that minifig is just great :sweet:

I will have to buy at least two off the temples :sweet:

And it looks like Doc from the Power Miners has joined the team (and he's in the drill submarine set, that can't be a coincidence )

Actually, that is Brains. Read the bio here. He's the second to last.

Actually, that is Brains. Read the bio here. He's the second to last.

Epic. I had noticed the resemblance, but thought it to be a coincidence. But then I see compare the minifigs on Bricklink, and... oh my gosh. The shape of the eyes, eyebrows, mouth, and mustache are EXACTLY the same. Pretty smooth, LEGO! Nothing like a crossover to keep things interesting!

I just looked at the pics from the first post. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. 2010's sets were elegant and dynamic. These look like they were conceived by someone else entirely. Someone from a completely different, if not inferior school of design.

I just looked at the pics from the first post. I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. 2010's sets were elegant and dynamic. These look like they were conceived by someone else entirely. Someone from a completely different, if not inferior school of design.

I like this year's sets, but you have a point that the submarines have a much more rugged, industrial look, and a less fluid look than sets like the Neptune Carrier. Of course, the same could be said of the Atlantis Exploration HQ and the other summer 2010 sets. Already we were seeing a boxier aesthetic in that and the Undersea Explorer, so it can't be argued that the design principles of the 2011 sets were not at all visible in prior sets from the theme.

I certainly like the City of Atlantis set, including the small submarine. And owning for myself the Angler Attack set, I can vouch for it and assure you it's completely up-to-par with the other Atlantis guardian sets (and the small sub included in it is at least up-to-par with the Atlantis mini-sub impulse).

The earlier sets looked sleeker because they used decorative Technic elements. Personally, I prefer action themes where Technic elements are only used for play features rather than decoration. Atlantis 2011 seems to put more emphasis on brick built designs in response to the mixed reception for Atlantis during 2010.

The temple set is definitely on my wish list because it has so many useful parts, play features, and unique minifigs.

I have a feeling the ridged 2x2 cylinder bricks are going to be insanely popular. 

Edited by Arigomi

I guess this is the folder Dr.Gogg meant: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=411484

And it looks like Doc from the Power Miners has joined the team (and he's in the drill submarine set, that can't be a coincidence

Cool! Almost everybody knows I have a weak-spot for goggles and really I think this head is a good improvement from the old Brains figure and it's cool that he helped with this mission after PM. :classic:

I'm starting to wonder if the two larger Atlantis sets are going to be released in the US during the second half of the year. :sceptic:

Lego did the same approach with Power Miners this year- release the couple smallest sets for the first half and then wait with the 2 next biggest ones.

I don't think there has been any sign of these anywhere yet in the US and most of the non-licensed sets are out already.

-Derek

Second half?! :wacko: Why would they release it so late? No, I'm pretty sure they'll come out before that. It's a January wave, so it's not all that surprising they aren't out yet. Just be patient. :wink:

I guess this is the folder Dr.Gogg meant: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=411484

And it looks like Doc from the Power Miners has joined the team (and he's in the drill submarine set, that can't be a coincidence :laugh: )

The new head looks quite nice. Is that a treasure key in the visor thing? Nice detail.

I'm not surprised that the statue has an alternate head, but it's too bad that the armour, helmet and the minifig's colour don't match up. It's also too bad that we don't see any of the previous minifigs. I don't have the portal guardian or squid warrior, and they could be suitable in future sets, but looks like I'll miss out this time.

I really like the crab minifig now that I see it better. Must get the temple now. :classic:

I'm not surprised that the statue has an alternate head

Well, I certainly am. I mean, what the heck? Is it supposed to come alive or something? I hope these sets come out soon, if only so that I can read the set descriptions for answers.

The cameo appearance of Brains is nice, especially since he's one of my favorite PMs. :thumbup:

Second half?! :wacko: Why would they release it so late?

Good question. It's also what most of us said about Power Miners last year...

Maybe I'm wrong, but just don't be too surprised if that's what happens...

Yeah, I guess you have a point about PM... I just REALLY want that temple, so I hope you're wrong. :sceptic:

I am really bothered by the fact that the chest armor and the helmet are not the same color gold.

Like really bothered.

What is up with that.

I am really bothered by the fact that the chest armor and the helmet are not the same color gold.

Like really bothered.

What is up with that.

Agreed. They just reused the Emperor's armour from last year. I think it would look better if he didn't have that armour at all.

atl020_01.jpgatl020_02.jpg

Edited by prateek

Like really bothered.

What is up with that.

From pictures, the helmet is the same color gold as the collectible minifigures' gold pieces (actually tan with a gold treatment on top). It hasn't appeared in anything else that I've seen, and might be the only metallic gold color that helmet can come in. Not sure exactly how that works.

Perhaps the Chinese production facility is responsible for production of the helmet, and they have the more up-to-date color? It would make sense to me.

The armor is just black with a gold treatment. The gold treatment for the armor is about the same color as most metallic-gold parts (I think the materialID is 299, and the name may be Lacquered Gold). As much as I like the color, I don't see why LEGO has been using it for so many years. The non-treated color it resembles closest, 147 Sand Yellow Metallic, was discontinued in 2006-- the same year 299 Lacquered Gold was introduced in its current form. Perhaps that's why the collectible minifigures have finally stopped using it (though it's a bit of a pity, since the new metallic gold doesn't really match anything thus far).

Yeah, all in all it makes the Golden King a much less impressive fig than he could have been. IMO, it would have been better if all his accessories had been 297 Warm Gold (the same color as his body). Since Warm Gold hasn't been discontinued and we've seen no indications that it will be in the near future (it appears in several 2011 sets), it should be possible for any production facility to manufacture parts in this color. Then again, I was also disappointed with all the times LEGO's used Warm Gold alongside chrome gold on royalty, and goodness knows they seem to have expressed no qualms about that. It really is a shame that they can't even aim for consistency with these things.

I would think the armor is one of the collectible items, like the helmet and the shield. But then I saw that the armor is also in the submarine set... *shrugs*

Hey,if you go to the Atlantis home on LEGO.com you will see,in the lower right corner,a picture of the golden king,hovering over it brings up a hammerhead warrior and say:beware the dark guardians.

Just thought I would update you guys.

I just picked up the temple at TRU here in Uppsala, Sweden. I guess I'll start writing a review now :wink:

I just picked up the temple at TRU here in Uppsala, Sweden. I guess I'll start writing a review now :wink:

I love you now! :D

I agree with the body armour colour issue. Its so annoying, like in NinjaGo where the skeleton spinners have different arm moulds. :/ I reckon I wont use it.

How much was it? And I can't wait!