Klaus-Dieter

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 3 discussion

I like them all black. It creates a uniform base so people know that they belong together when they see them on your shelf.

I like them all black. It creates a uniform base so people know that they belong together when they see them on your shelf.

I agree, although as an MOCer I would love to see the element released in other colors. As far as displaying them is concerned, black is a nice unobtrusive choice. At most maybe a pritned colored stripe along the front would work to distinguish Series, but nothing more.

They could be the color of the packets - that might be interesting, but I think they're more useful as something besides stands in black than they would be in those other colors.

I'm planning on using them as shingles for a roof (with black tiles on the ends of every other row).

I think special colored basis MIGHT work if the price isn't affected. It would be a cool idea to have a way to show that the figures come in series and not just one big release event.

I recently got some series 3 figures, but none of the bags had dots on them.

No clue whatsoever, I thought they had dots here too. I live in the Netherlands, by the way.

That's weird I live in Belgium (used to live in the Netherlands/Holland though) and when I last bought any series 3

they did had those dots. More clear and visable on the left than on the right, somehow. But I also noticed that even with the same minifig inside (by feeling = knowing) the dot pathern was different.

That's weird I live in Belgium (used to live in the Netherlands/Holland though) and when I last bought any series 3

they did had those dots. More clear and visable on the left than on the right, somehow. But I also noticed that even with the same minifig inside (by feeling = knowing) the dot pathern was different.

This is true. I picked 5 random packets and saw two had the same dots. Turns out I got 5 different figures...

TT

Edited by Tanotrooper

Got my sealed box of series 3 last monday and found that I had 2 complete series from it. Got 3 Elfs and 4 Samurai's (In total) out of it so that is great.

I recently found these here in Colorado Springs (finally!), and some of the bags had dots, and others didn't. It was very confusing, and I didn't end up getting the tennis player like I wanted. I did get all the others I wanted, though (and I have two of the fishermen--I spent $12 and got the same amount of fishermen as people who spend $60!).

I bought 2 packets of series 2 (impulse buy ).... Then I couldnt stop myself.... Now I have S1, S2 ,S3 and lots of Samurai, Chief , Elves and Fisherman..... Better stop... :-)

Edited by toytoy

I finally managed to find an affordable Set of Series 3 on BL... I can't believe that none of the stores in Vancouver have them yet. Canada gets LEGO so late. My cousin, who lives in Hong Kong, bought Series 3 back in November... he says that the stores there don't just sell LEGO by sets. There are stores that only sell minifigs and accessories. Wish we had those in the Americas...

I finally managed to find an affordable Set of Series 3 on BL... I can't believe that none of the stores in Vancouver have them yet. Canada gets LEGO so late. My cousin, who lives in Hong Kong, bought Series 3 back in November... he says that the stores there don't just sell LEGO by sets. There are stores that only sell minifigs and accessories. Wish we had those in the Americas...

It seems they have stores like that in Asia for every toy. For example, you'd find a lot of trading card game stores that sell individual cards, which is a rarity here. BTW, Chapters/Indigo has Series 3 :sweet:

It seems they have stores like that in Asia for every toy. For example, you'd find a lot of trading card game stores that sell individual cards, which is a rarity here. BTW, Chapters/Indigo has Series 3 :sweet:

You're JOKING? Which Chapters are you talking about? I won't be able to go until tomorrow though.

~t7_c

You're JOKING? Which Chapters are you talking about? I won't be able to go until tomorrow though.

~t7_c

try online or instore:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/toys/Series-Lego-Mini-Figures-pack/882709038597-item.html?ref=by-shop%3atoys%3atoys-main%3atop-50-toys%3a1&cookieCheck=1

if some stores in calgary had them than so should vancover, also try checking the canadian eh? topic because it was mentioned their that some walmarts in vancouver have them.

Well, the boxes of minifigs here aren't as full as they were before, but the price increase does seem to deter most.

I've kind of given up collecting them. I'd just like an elf and two samurais at this point, as the dots get very hard to decode after you've bought a few and don't want any multiples. I've gotten ten figures with only one duplicate (a sumo, but I'm okay with that).

I think the codes have changed here. There were a couple of them which I couldn't identify, and I felt it was safer to just leave them. It's too difficult to find specifics, but it is easy to at least tell if you've gotten unique figures.

My 1 cent worth of opinion,

It is relatively easier to "feel" than to utilise the dot sheet. I have no problem to identify parts by feeling it, even though it takes a little practice at first but once you mastered it, it will be very incredibly fast with no mistakes. This is my personal preference though and I actually enjoy it this way.

Considering everyone is choosing to fell up the bags for this series, I have a question about previous series. Were you able to fell the parts through the bags of series 1 and 2, since everyone used barcodes for them?

I'm asking because I haven't experienced a sealed fig first hand.

Considering everyone is choosing to fell up the bags for this series, I have a question about previous series. Were you able to fell the parts through the bags of series 1 and 2, since everyone used barcodes for them?

Yes, I was able to feel the parts for Series 1 and 2 but I didn't treat it seriously as there is a proven method of scanning/reading the detailed barcodes from the US and EU version. In this way, the dependency is much greater in that direction and the evolution of "feeling" was not really needed or to be precise until Series 3 arrives.

"Feeling" is a form of technique where requires one fingers to be nimble and sensitive enough to differentiate parts by touching the packet. Often enough, it could be a form of identification through certain unique parts and understand what are the 16 minifigures compositions and the parts relevance, such as the 1x4 long bar where it appears only in Space Alien and Space Villain, then you know for sure it will be either of these, followed by feeling unique parts such as headpiece. It require patience but it still can be done. I can assure you.

I'm asking because I haven't experienced a sealed fig first hand.

I never saw a single series 1 pack in stores. When I ordered a set from BL, they were labeled.

For series 2 I only ever saw them at the LEGO Store, limit 16, so I bought 16 trying to make sure I didn't get duplicate bar codes (although that didn't work so well); I already had another 16 ordered from S@H, and by the time I went into the LEGO Store again, there were none left.... so again, I never really needed to feel them.

Series 3 is the first series I was actually able to buy in the stores other than the LEGO Store, and the first time that I could visit TLS multiple times to buy figures, so it became a lot more worthwhile to try to differentiate.

For Series 2, my local TRU only allowed 4 per person. I had to buy them at five different cashiers so they don't recognize me. Then I had a friend do the same thing for me. And I still only ended up getting 10 of the 16, with lots of doubles.

I asked my local TRU if they will be getting Series 3. They said "Probably NOT. If we do get it, it will be in limited quantities, like 3 cases or something".

~t7_c

To be straight honest, the "feeling" method is how I figure out what is inside.

Series one I got complete online, and never saw in stores, so no feeling there.

But for Series 2, I picked out all 16 in a WM Lego aisle in about 30 minutes.

As for Series 3, I bought a whole box, and when sorting them used the feel method for all, and was right for every one.

I find it a lot easier to be honest. Once you take a good look at what figs there are, it's not hard to find that "odd" piece in each bag.

The hardest one to pick out for me was the Race Car Driver IMO.

I don't think that TLG will be making it easier to figure out what's in the bags, and feeling them works great for me.

Although I must say, your fingertips do get sore after going through 60+ bags :laugh:)

Earlier today I finally managed to buy a sealed box, each bag priced 1,80. Great, but it was the old 2-fishermen/5-aliens version.

At least I grabbed another spare fisherman by checking dots (which is easier than "feeling" each bag when there are people around).

I got my Hawaii Girl today and after a couple of goes, managed to get the skirt on correctly! I know we're supposed to be intelligent creatures but I would appreciate a little diagram from LEGO to show us these things!

There doesn't seem to be any discusions on Eurobricks or other forums on the topic of cutting the skirt so that it looks like the one on the sheet (that comes in each bag). The skirt on the sheet is a different design than the one you actually get so I wonder if cutting it would affect how it sits on the legs assembly. The strands at the ends might rise up but then could you carefully iron those down?

I guess no-one wants to sacrifice a skirt to test it out. I'm not confident that I could cut straight enough anyway!

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, using a transparent ruler and a sculpture/stanley knife, this coule be done accurately and easily. I've just got to find a sharp enough knife. My housemate is an art student and might have one but she's in Mexico for 3 weeks...

Edited by chris_austin

I gave the series my own first (small) attempt at indentifying the figs. And found out I am utterly useless at touching the bags :hmpf_bad: The only fig I could identify correctly by touching was the Rapper, thanks to the 1x3 "stereo" brick which stands out easily. I failed to identify all the others I have tried to (practically all bags in a near-full box).

I seriously wish TLG didn't put the sheet list in each bag, that piece of paper makes identification harder and even increases the cost of the "set", and it's pointless to own more than one sheet list. Actually I would even prefer not to have the 3x4 base, but at least those pieces can find a use in some MOC.

I was a bit skeptic about using the "dots code" because there is more than one "cheat sheet" going around the web, the older one being incomplete and the newer one mentioning that some bags vary, and furthermore some people have been reporting cases of not matching dots. Nevertheless at least the dots for the Rapper matched with my touch-guess, so I tried to buy a bag the dots of which seemed to be those for the Elf, since this appears to be one with least chance of confusing its dots pattern with another. It worked and it was indeed the Elf. Still, before opening the bag I spent 20 minutes (10@shop+10@home) trying to feel the content and in the name of God I could not single-out either the shield (!) or the bow :wacko:

At least the dots seemed to match with the "cheat sheet" in these 2 cases, which is definitely promising. There aren't many more figs I'm interested to in Series 3, but at least I'll have another "touch & feel" session next time I go shopping. :tongue:

I got my Hawaii Girl today and after a couple of goes, managed to get the skirt on correctly! I know we're supposed to be intelligent creatures but I would appreciate a little diagram from LEGO to show us these things!

There doesn't seem to be any discusions on Eurobricks or other forums on the topic of cutting the skirt so that it looks like the one on the sheet (that comes in each bag). The skirt on the sheet is a different design than the one you actually get so I wonder if cutting it would affect how it sits on the legs assembly. The strands at the ends might rise up but then could you carefully iron those down?

I guess no-one wants to sacrifice a skirt to test it out. I'm not confident that I could cut straight enough anyway!

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, using a transparent ruler and a sculpture/stanley knife, this coule be done accurately and easily. I've just got to find a sharp enough knife. My housemate is an art student and might have one but she's in Mexico for 3 weeks...

I never noticed that. I won't try it, though, as the damn thing was hard enough to get on in the first place and the sheet version looks extremely liable to tearing.