Sign in to follow this  
-JD-

Review: 8129 AT-AT

AT-AT  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the set?

2. 2. How did you find the ongoing review?

Nice review. it definatly looks like a sewt worht buying. I agree- that new face doesn't fit Han, but that torso is awesome. I also like the new Luke Helmet. I have to agree- the tab is annoying... yet it's almost nostalgic, being the first way to open a LEGO box (unless I'm wrong...)

I must say the pupils don't bother me much, and I over the new faces for Han, and especially Luke.

Comparison w/ Motorized version:

compf.jpg

compfc.jpg

compside.jpg

heightdiff.jpg

IMO the new one is better looking, and surprisingly they are the same height (give or take a stud)!

Han combos:

hancombo1.jpg

hancombo2.jpg

han_indy_combo.jpg

I'll add some other photos of my MODs soon.

Thanks for the review Jammie!

Nice to see some closer pics of the set it self. Apart from Lukes new helmet and Solos new troso

I am now very convinced this is one set I will not get. To me it is not that good.

Borrowed a pic to quickly photoshop a possible mod. Adding a row of studs to the rear and front (red circles) will reduce the hump. Also added printed dishes for the leg-joints. :classic:

compsideshopped2.jpg

Edited by mordatre

Thanks for the excellent review and reference pictures Jammiedodger714 :cry_happy::thumbup:

Comparison w/ Motorized version:

compfc.jpg

Looking at the above picture I find the new AT-AT suprisingly better than I expected. (Great picture btw!)

The design actually looks a lot more like the real deal it's modeled from than was seen in the earlier (official) released picture.

No question that it belongs in my collection as I dont own the 4483, but I think I will MOD this a little bit.

As an owner of 4483 I have to say I am tempted by Bespin Han (finally!) and Lukes new helmet. Also I am always ready to throw in a 10 euros for the Snowtroopers, Rebel Scout and the Laser. Can't have enough of these. But the actual model... I don't know. The neck looks nice. (Let's me feel like talking about an unwanted employee: "He was always there!") But despite that it cannot live up with 4483.

Guess I will wait to get Han and Luke with another set. Minifigs don't sell things to me. They just add to the value. I think my money is better invested into the Tantive 4, which I still need to get. It is a much nicer vehicle.

Thanks for finishing the building Jammiedodger714. And lots of nice pictures, plus the comparrison shots with the motorized version. Thanks.

But despite that it cannot live up with 4483.

That is true, which irks me, but as a LSW completist, it will be standing on my shelf someday soon anyway :blush: .

There are some plus points (the new neck, luke's helmet :wub:), but otherwise the model has been 'downsized' too much.

But for all who don't have an at-at, I think it's pretty good.

Thanks for the new pictures Jamie!

I think the lack of printed parts is really what annoys me about this poor set! I just can not see any good reason they are not in the set! The price per part ratio certainly justifies printed parts in my mind. Poor, very poor. :hmpf_bad:

Borrowed a pic to quickly photoshop a possible mod. Adding a row of studs to the rear and front (red circles) will reduce the hump. Also added printed dishes for the leg-joints. :classic:

That's sorted out my biggest problem with this set. Instant buy.

Where is the set made, as in what countries does it state on the box.

It says Denmark, Hungary and the Czech Republic.

I think all sets are made in Denmark etc, and all accessories (and Toy Story :tongue: ) in Chinese factories.

I do know that all capes, rubber bands, string, and individually bagged pieces are made in China, because any set that has any one of those elements will list China as a country of origin on the box, but I just like to confirm that by asking people, I would do it myself but I don't have the set. Thank you very much Jammiedodger714.

Edited by Brickus

Isn't this like the 4th AT-AT set from lego? :hmpf_bad:

Fifth, actually, with a sixth to follow soon (there was also the old mini one, plus one of the models in the Dark Side Developer Kit, and then there's the upcoming Brickmaster mini), but this one is only the third one with/for minifigs, and it's both cheaper and more accurately shaped than the last one, as well as being the first one with a driver with the revised, more accurate helmet. Finally, not everyone who wants an AT-AT already has one. Really, the only issue with releasing this one now is the fact the previous, motorized version is still available, and this one is different enough from that one that the choice is appreciated.

Excellent review, Jammiedodger714! I liked how you set up your review. :classic:

I like the review, but not so much the set. I think LEGO could've designed it better and I'm getting tired of LEGO using the same figures over and over. I'm sure they could've designed a better helmet for the general!

Anyways thanks for the review! :thumbup:

Thanks for the reveiw, Jammiedodger714!

I love this set and I really look forward to buying it. :classic:

But I do think the hump looks a bit big and flat :sceptic:

Nothing a bit of modding won't help! :thumbup:

Why is 3P0 trying to get killed there? He isn't supposed to get blown apart until the cloud city scene :laugh:

I haven't bought any Lego Star Wars set since the early (Amazon.fr) release of the mid 2010 sets, and I do like Luke's new helmet and the fact that Han, Veers and Luke are all 'new' figures. And I am pretty much an OT completist.

However, I own one mechanized AT-AT and two of the definitely superior 4483 AT-AT's, I haven't got the space to display one more and I really dislike the small size and bad dimensions of this new AT-AT.

So, although I am very slightly tempted, I am still severely doubting buying this AT-AT.

as well as being the first one with a driver with the revised, more accurate helmet. Finally, not everyone who wants an AT-AT already has one. Really, the only issue with releasing this one now is the fact the previous, motorized version is still available, and this one is different enough from that one that the choice is appreciated.

you can always get the build your army pack to get the driver.

I bought this set cause i never had a lego ATAT. I like it alot. Although the technic plug pins in the feet are blue which is a little eye sore for me. I will need to get some black ones to swap them out.

Hi,

I have bought the set and I'm very happy with it, this is my first AT-AT and I think he looks great.

I do however find that the "rear" part is a bit shaky (the part where there are the 2 pistols) - is it me? anyone else has the same problem?

Also, anyone has an idea of a snow-speeder design that would match the scale of this walker?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have bought the set and I'm very happy with it, this is my first AT-AT and I think he looks great.

I do however find that the "rear" part is a bit shaky (the part where there are the 2 pistols) - is it me? anyone else has the same problem?

Also, anyone has an idea of a snow-speeder design that would match the scale of this walker?

Thanks!

Probably one of the mini snow speeders.

After building this set, and placing it next to my 4483 AT AT I was pretty disappointed. I have just converted mine using the new "bley" parts to create another 4483. I just wasn't happy with how much smaller the new one is. When you put the two next to each other, you really notice it. Plus, 4483 had speeder bike storage, and taller legs with printed joint dishes. The only problem is the conversion is not cheap. You can see just where things changed from the original to this one....and there are a lot of them. I think it's great they released another one...but I would have liked to have seen a UCS one.

Great review,

Ill try not to be bias about this but i like the one I have, the motorized version,

Yes the new one has more figures a turret and can fit in troopers inside and maybe more accurate

But the motorized version has a 'lego feel' to it..of course this is the same person who likes the old boba fett to the new one :laugh:

Not to mention its easy to MOD the motorized version to have both the motor and fit five troopers inside, without them being crowded..

Just my opinion..

Again great review :classic:

Not to mention its easy to MOD the motorized version to have both the motor and fit five troopers inside, without them being crowded..

You've got my attention... please share this MOD with us.

I've got plans to MOD the new AT-AT a bit after I build it.