I've not heard anything back from Lego yet regarding my comments to them, perhaps they are holding off replies whilst they look into the problems with the model. Some acknowledgment from Lego would be nice though.

I really wanted to buy the sett 8043, but I think I wait until the TLG has corrected the problems that people have experienced with 8043.

:hmpf_bad:

Hello together...

40 Minutes ago i do a phonecall with Lego Germany.

Lego tells me this:

The Lego Building Team knew the problems with the set 8043. The problems with it are the M-Motors, the line actuators and some gear wheels.

1st of all the m-motors don't come with the full performances to pull up the lift arm.

2nd problems are the gears. there are too much or too big gears. and the way from motor to the arm was "too long" (means to much gears instead)

The Lego Pro's will fix the problems in the next 2 weeks or more. Then u get a "Service Pack" or a "Complete New" Set of the Excavator. It depends on the problem how big it is.

What should u do to get this fix:

Take a phonecall to Lego in your country and they will send u the "Service Pack" or others with a Building Instruction at home!

I have disassembled the (delightful :classic: ) B-model and revisited the Excavator. You'll have possibly read earlier in this thread that I'd had several of the reported problems - motor straining to raise main arm, unreliable gear-switching, 'lazy' right-hand tracks.

I was very meticulous, testing the gearbox at several stages to ensure gears running as smoothly as possible. I'd forgotten how wonderfully complex this model is :thumbup: - but this does mean some of the functions pass through many clutch gears acting as idlers, all increasing the friction. I've placed both bevel gears on the same side for the pair of main arm actuators (as discussed here) and that has improved things a little. Unfortunately, the bad news is all the other issues remain just the same :sad: I also did Jurgen's simple gearing mod for the gear-switching - but that is still unreliable as before, sometimes the clutches not being fully engaged.

In it's current form, I really think this set could be very frustrating/disappointing for some younger builders.

"starlightrusty" just posted a

of the stop-action assembly of the 8043 Motorized Excavator set:

Edited by DLuders

I enjoyed every second of building it twice (building the B-model in between). It's an absolute joy to build. I'm enjoying modifying it even more. I've just removed the gearbox and added 2 motors and a PF receiver to give it complete controll (the boom got an XL-motor). I've transformed the PF-handsets into joysticks using Jason Railton's thumbstick-design. No more switching between driving and digging-functions adding so much to the playability. I hope to publish my mods here soon.

We have been waiting since August :)

Totally agree on that review, finally completed mine last week and it is quite possibly the most fun I have ever had with a Lego Technic model as a 37 year old AFOL, it is amazing to play with and even does look great on the shelf for display, though it just doesn't remain there long, I just gotta play with it...

New Technic 8043 Excavator

Very, very careful and slow assembly is the key...it took me a week in spurts to build it, but everything moves well and the clutches operate flawlessly, the ONLY complaint I might have with it is the long axle/u-joint assemblies for the bucket and extend/retract arm. They are a bit jerky when operating, I tried changing the axles thinking it was just a slightly out of round axle, but it didn't change the problem. Not sure what it is, maybe the fact that the axles pass through so many points and junctions to reach those 2 functions. I can see a slightly visible wobble in both functions as I use them. But, really doesn't detract too much from the overall fun of playing with it...

I have disassembled the (delightful :classic: ) B-model and revisited the Excavator. You'll have possibly read earlier in this thread that I'd had several of the reported problems - motor straining to raise main arm, unreliable gear-switching, 'lazy' right-hand tracks.

I was very meticulous, testing the gearbox at several stages to ensure gears running as smoothly as possible. I'd forgotten how wonderfully complex this model is pirate_thumbup.gif - but this does mean some of the functions pass through many clutch gears acting as idlers, all increasing the friction. I've placed both bevel gears on the same side for the pair of main arm actuators (as discussed here) and that has improved things a little. Unfortunately, the bad news is all the other issues remain just the same :sad: I also did Jurgen's simple gearing mod for the gear-switching - but that is still unreliable as before, sometimes the clutches not being fully engaged.

In it's current form, I really think this set could be very frustrating/disappointing for some younger builders.

I'm also started with building 8043.

At the end of book 1, there is strange design choice. Step 35 on page 79 shows the strange piece.

I must take blue piece for the axle rotation support. But you know the blue piece is with friction ridges, it rotate with more friction.

There is also another piece in the box, a tan colored piece, but smoother and better made for rotation use.

Wrong piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=43093, not made for rotation use!

Correct piece: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3749, better for rotation use.

Why should designers choose for such type? The blue piece shall wear more off when it's many used. It rotate also a bit heavier.

What do you think?

Update 1: the another piece also in step 44, book 2. In right axle is also light-grey item with friction ridges used. This gear switch part is thus with high friction.

Edited by MrDummy

The motor for gear switch doesn't need much rotations. And to make rotation speed a bit lower, the high friction is needed in de gear axles.

That is what i think. Otherwise it goes too fast and you hear high clack sound.

Not very nice solution. The motor must work harder to switch gear, and that means higher power consumption.

Update:

When testing mechanism and motors almost-built 8043, 1 motor seems already "doa" because 3 motors are working normal but one wont. I have checked for stalled gears, but it's not. I don't feel any motor vibration.

Soon i shall check with direct connect battery if it's indeed dead or not.

The new LA's can lift the arm with some ease, thus that is good. I hear only a bit higher noise from wheels.

Edited by MrDummy

1 motor seems already "doa" because 3 motors are working normal but one wont.

I have the same problem with one of my 8043 (the new version with instructions in plastic with card board). The second motor (counting where the wires attach to the IR-receivers from front to back) did not work when the model was done. I took the cables of the IR-receivers and swapped them around. All motors worked fine then, strange thought I and mounted everything back. Now it was not working again!?

Turned out the second motor would not work when the 32000 Technic, Brick 1 x 2 with Holes was attached on top of the motor cable. So I removed the brick (it's actually not really needed there) and everything was fine.

Still have to verify if it's the cable or the IR-receiver that's faulty but have not got around to yet, hence I have not said anything about it until now. When I pin down the problem I'll check my other 8043 (same batch, still in it's box) and then contact TLG for replacement of the culprit.

I have changed both IR receivers, re-set channels and put connectors in. Now all motors work without problems.

Yes it's small connection problem.

But there is possible culprit.

There is some pressure on beams because the small pin at the left, between IR receiver block and body. You can see it's not very straight.

The pins looks okay in the manual to hold IR part, but it still makes some space, so it gives some pressure on the beams and some axles. After all, not nice solution.

Remove the small pin lowers the pressure more and the blocks still fit good in the body. Now the beams are nice straight.

The pressure on electric connections is also gone, hopefully it solves some connection problems.

See the image:

8043-IR-fix-small.jpg

I have also modified arm immediately after finishing my 8043. This tip is given in another topic. :)

8043-arm-fix-small.jpg

The arm is also almost straight, thus max arm reach. Only the LA is not fully in.

8043-arm-fix-2-small.jpg

Perhaps need to modify the bucket rotation point, it moves a bit strange for me.

Seems the bucket is not really designed for excavator because different mount points? For front loader, it's good bucket.

Because 8043 has frontloader as B model, LEGO choose this big bucket to make both models possible.

That is the reason to choose such big bucket in 8043 set. :classic:

I have bought 8047, to see how fit the small bucket in the place :) And also later old yellow bucket. :wink:

Both buckets have correct mount points for excavator use.

looks like a fantastic model and I can't wait till I get it. I ordered it 2 weeks ago this thursday just passed, so it probably should have arrived next week, but because of the devastating earthquake here in Christchurch, it will probably be delayed. RIP the 113 victims discovered so far :sad: (144 now :cry_sad: )

ETA: one of the reasons I can't wait for it to arrive is that making Lego sets is good for relieving stress, and it is a VERY stressful time at the moment. plus I want to make something with the remote control parts. I plan to make a fully functional RC copy of the pneumatic back hoe loader that I have always wanted, except using my LA's (all 12 of them actually) and 6 motors.

Edited by Matt The Tuba Guy

Great review Blackbird :thumbup: I don't have the finances for technic.. and city sets. I do however, love these types of technic sets. Until I saw these reviews, I'd never know how intricate the gear system can be. Very enlightening. This look to be a great one to own for sure. :classic:

The pins looks okay in the manual to hold IR part, but it still makes some space, so it gives some pressure on the beams and some axles. After all, not nice solution.

Remove the small pin lowers the pressure more and the blocks still fit good in the body. Now the beams are nice straight.

The pressure on electric connections is also gone, hopefully it solves some connection problems.

See the image:

this is because you used the wrong pin.. you should ue the shorter light grey pin there with the stud, not with the 1/2 pin. look in the manual.. my beams are straight but my pin is in place..

Edited by BrickDemon

Great Review. Just received mine from the 2x VIP sale, opened it up and I'm missing pieces.

Lots of pieces.

Don't have any of the 13L dark grey beams, the 4x12 yellow plate, the big grey "H"-shaped piece (4540797 in the manual). Gonna have to sort through it properly tonight to find out what exactly's missing.

Think I'm missing a whole bag.. wonder if Lego's gonna want me to return this box for a new one or just send me the replacements...

I read somewhere that lego is checking the weight of each box before shipping, to make sure nothing is missing. So I don't think it is possible that a whole bag is missing from a box.

I read somewhere that lego is checking the weight of each box before shipping, to make sure nothing is missing. So I don't think it is possible that a whole bag is missing from a box.

Unless there were two copies of one bag and no copies of another!

I have had a complete bag missing from a set before, but that was in 1998.

Unless there were two copies of one bag and no copies of another!

I have had a complete bag missing from a set before, but that was in 1998.

I'm missing a single piece for my 8070 supercar. I've ordered a spare part from lego.com and the response email does confirm that they weigh the boxes as part of their quality procedures. That implies they assume to know exactly which extra parts are included in a set also?

Just picked this set and the supercar up on Monday on the VIP 2x sale as well. Going to start building these over the weekend. Excellent review by the way!

@ davidmull: Here is the Shop.Lego.com webpage about the VIP [Very Important Person] Program. Sometimes, The Lego Group (TLG) wants to encourage sales by offering a double-VIP-points (VIP x 2) deal.

"Start building your VIP Rewards today!

The LEGO VIP Program is our way of thanking you for shopping with us, at your local LEGO Store, through shop.LEGO.com or over the phone. Earn 1 point for every $1 you spend and for every 100 points we’ll give you $5 to spend on more sets for your favorite LEGO fan!

Build points faster than ever!

•Earn points for every purchase you make - no minimum required

•Add family members to the same VIP Account to build your points faster

Track your points!

•Visit the 'My Account' tab to see your current points balance.

•Click the 'VIP History' link to view previous purchases and point transactions.

Redeem points for more rewards!

•VIP Rewards can be redeemed on your next purchase, or saved up for a bigger treat!

•Get special opportunities to double your reward when you use it to purchase selected items!"