Rate this set!  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Above average
    • Outstanding

I've been pretty intrigued by the Toy Story sets since they were announced, but up to now, I'd only picked up the ubiquitous Army Men set. I've been planning to get the Woody's Roundup for a while, and jumped that one and got the Western Train set. Not only is it my first proper Toy Story set (featuring Woody or Buzz) but it's also my first train. Maybe I'm not the right person to review this :sceptic:

759701.jpg

Set#: 7597

Name: Western Train Chase

Theme: Toy Story

Year: 2010

Pieces: 584

Minifigs: 3; Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jessie

Price: 9,300 yen

MSP: U.S.$79.99, £79.99

Peeron

Brickset

Bricklink

Time is running out! Rex is trapped in a boxcar that?s packed with dynamite rigged by Evil Doctor Porkchops! Can his friends rescue him in time? As Woody fights Porkchops on the roof, Buzz Lightyear is flying in for the rescue while Jessie tries to catch up to the run-away train riding Bullseye. Set includes Evil Doctor Porkchops, Rex, Buzz Lightyear, Woody, Jessie and Bullseye figures. Train features four train cars with opening doors and roofs, and traps on the roof for more action!

The box

The set is featured well. I'm never disappointed with TLG's box art, and this is no exception. A lovely recreation of the American southwest, as all the characters act something out. Lovely, despite the potential of all the primary colors to be gaudy.

759702.jpg

759703.jpg

The booklets

The booklets are a variation of the box cover, and I like this technique of breaking the set up into the parts held within, as seen on some town sets previously.

759704.jpg

The Pieces

Five numbered bags, plus a bag of magnetic train links, and the minifig bags imported from China.

759705.jpg

Half the figures. I really like Dr. Porkchops and Rex, and I like Buzz's body, but I hate his head. It just doesn't seem like Lego. I wish they had done a slightly less sculpted version. I love the sculpted Star Wars figures (Ackbar, Fisto, etc.) but Buzz doesn't feel like Lego to me.

759706.jpg

Dr. Porkchops' hat is removable, and his belly has a piggy bank plug. Great little details there!

759707.jpg

759708.jpg

Details about Rex I like are the studs on the back which let him be played with. Here, Buzz hangs ten on Rex's back. Note that he can balance on two feet.

759732.jpg

I feel the same way about Woody and Jessie's heads. I don't love them. Bullseye I like a bit better. While he's not as simplified as traditional Lego horses, he has an advantage on them (see three photos down :wink: )

759709.jpg

759710.jpg

759711.jpg

I really like the legs on Bullseye, and wonder if TLG will ever update their classic horse. It has been 30 years, and legs that balanced in standing position would really make them better.

759736.jpg

The Build

Bag One

759712.jpg

The caboose is a short build (a theme with this set, as you'll see). We like the printed panel (on both sides) and the doors, but it's thin (another theme with this set), one stud wide and no inner detailing.

759713.jpg

The detail on the roof is nice, the slight asymmetricality, and the windows on both sides.

759714.jpg

Bag Two

There are four printed panels here.

759715.jpg

This car is again slim and has no interior. Plus, I photographed it with a piece missing, because that's the kind of review I always seem to do :blush:

759716.jpg

The roof here is symmetrical, and shiny.

759717.jpg

This is a good replica of a toy train.

759718.jpg

Bag Three

Bag three has two printed panels, plus the dynamite!

759719.jpg

The doors open on both sides, and does not have a removable roof.

759720.jpg

The doors shut, and Buzz inspects...

759721.jpg

The single action of the set is the money car's roof. Hapless Woody stands innocuously on the smooth panel, nothing suspicious...

759722.jpg

And BAM! He's fallen through, yet still has the same blank facial expression.

759723.jpg

The set comes with four lovely packs of dynamite.

759724.jpg

Bag Four

759725.jpg

The top half of the engine is by far the most interesting part of the set. The colors are stimulating, and the nose is an interesting combo of SNOT techniques.

759726.jpg

Bag Five

759727.jpg

The under carriage of the engine is not complex, but bizarrely, the elastics are used around the large wheels. It adds a little, but is an interesting design choice.

759728.jpg

The Finished Product

This captures the subject well. It genuinely looks like a toy train engine.

759729.jpg

Inside the engine are simple controls to steer it.

759730.jpg

This is the best thing about the set for me, the striking shape and black color of the engine.

759735.jpg

The Final Verdict

759734.jpg

Design: 9/10 This captures the representation of a toy train very well. Really, I can't fault the designers of this at all, but ultimately, what their subject matter was leaves something to be desired.

Build: 7/10 Every section was short, and it makes me think that this was more a kids' Lego set than usual. It didn't take much time at all. I don't really think Toy Story is as kiddie as it would have been 10 years ago though. Those kids have grown up somewhat, and a lot of older kids will be interested in the series.

Playability: 8/10 I like the magnets on this, and like how they all click together, but apart from that, there are almost no play features. Only the large selection of characters fatten this score out.

Minifigures: 8/10 I like the non-humanoid ones, and really dislike the others. Still, I like the tall legs on Jessie and Woody, so I'm at least happy to have a set of those. Just those heads, I don't like them.

Price: 8/10 This number is the hardest to do. While there are a lot of minifigs, with individual sculpts, they were also made in China for rock bottom prices. The set is around the "new normal" of 15 cents per piece.

Overall: 8/10 Of all the reviews I've done, this is the most unbiased I've done. I'm not impressed with this set. It's well made, not a bad value, but I'm not interested in what they were going for. It recreates a toy train, but toy trains lack the depth of something like, say, The Emerald Night. As a result, this is not all that impressive to me. So, if you like Toy Story, this could well be a fantastic set, but, if you admire Toy Story, well, this may not convert you.

Sadly, I somewhat regret not buying the PoP Battle of Alamut instead.

Poor Hamm never knew the video camera was running, and rumors abound that now his place in Toy Story 4 is in doubt.

759733.jpg

Thanks for this very detailed review def

I really like this set, though I think it would be easier to accept its shortcoming if the price was a bit lower. I must admit however that I really like the minifgs that are included, and the use of fantastic printed parts elevates this set to be something special.

I think quite a lot of fun can be had with this set, however for something this size there should have been a couple more play features/functions. This set is also just begging to be combined with Woody's Roundup.

Thanks fr the great review! This set was my priority for this year, but unfortunately this review looks like being the closest I'll get to it. I'm just back from town and it's selling at €99.99, which is way out of my price range. I was expecting €60, €70 tops. Bit gutted right now....

Sadly, I somewhat regret not buying the PoP Battle of Alamut instead.

Exactly. I like this set, but not as much as a lot of other sets at this price point.

BTW, I think the pig is named Dr. Porkchop, hence the hat. (At least according to the TV ad)

Edited by prateek

Thanks for the review 'def' - love this train I do - so COOL a Lego toy train of a toy train - okay that must be an oxy-moron right ?

AWESOME selection of characters, but if you think 80 bucks US is bad, then try 160 Australia dollars !!!!! :wacko:

I'll either buy this or the pizza truck to get Hamm and Rex, oh of course Buzz !

On a parting thought, oh, Hamm I'll never look at you again in the same light with those pigs from Playpig ! :devil:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I must admit however that I really like the minifgs that are included...

I was looking forward to the minifigs before I got the set, but just unexcited once they were in my hands, particularly Buzz. I don't know that you'll feel the same way, but...

BTW, I think the pig is named Dr. Porkchop, hence the hat. (At least according to the TV ad)

It seems you're right, though it's just Hamm in a hat. Thanks, I'll tweak the review.

It seems you're right, though it's just Hamm in a hat. Thanks, I'll tweak the review.

It looks like it says Hamm on the back of the box. It's the same Hamm figure from the pizza truck anyhow, just with a new hat.

It looks like it says Hamm on the back of the box. It's the same Hamm figure from the pizza truck anyhow, just with a new hat.

It does! But the description from the Lego site call him Dr. Porkchops. Perhaps it's a twist from the movie, where he gets hit on the head and goes evil or something :tongue:

I was looking forward to the minifigs before I got the set, but just unexcited once they were in my hands, particularly Buzz. I don't know that you'll feel the same way

I've got Woody and Buzz from the pull back car set (yeah, technical name there) and find them a bit odd, and slightly scary, however I have come to terms with their looks. I still prefer good old fashioned yellow headed figs to any fleshies or these TS guys, but looking at say Buzz from a Toy Story merchandise perspective for example - he is very authentic looking.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't satisfied with the set as a whole. It's always disappointing to be looking forward to a set, only to pick up a copy and find that it doesn't live up to your expectations. With any luck perhaps the train will grow on you over time (though of course more functionality won't appear on it's own unfortunately) and hopefully you'll be happier with your next purchase (like Battle of Alamut sometime in the future).

Personally, I'd like to try to get the train motorized and have it running around a track layout. I think that with all the bright, eye catching colours on the train, it would look fantastic rolling along on it's own.

This set is ludicrously overpriced everywhere but the States. It's hard to recommend on that basis alone. (In the US, the price for Alamut & the train are the same, but in Aus Alamut is $140 and the Train $160, which tips it over the mental 'That's too much!' point for me.)

That said, I largely agree with your review. I like the non-humanoids, hate the TS human heads. Is this the most ironic & self-referential set ever? A LEGO toy train based on a movie version of a LEGO toy train which they would never release as a standalone set with that aesthetic today :laugh:

When I built it I tipped all the bags out together (which I always do) which makes the build seem more complex. It is simple, but I also assume that's why TS3 is the only non-stickered line out there - maybe that specific age range hates them as much as we AFOLs generally do? As an aside, I really don't understand how this set (and the other TS ones) can have so many different types of printed parts (doors, tiles, bricks) and yet uber-expensive themes like Star Wars are still horribly stickered all over :sceptic:

What I really liked about this train was the old-skool LEGO look (even if its somewhat mythically misleading considering they haven't produced a set that even vaguely looks like this for 30 years) and that it is very solid and brick-built - very few Technic-shenanigans in this straightforward build, and lots of great parts.

Thanks for the excellent review, def. The pics are great. Yeah it's an expensive set but Lego have done it well and with the great selection of figs and printed parts, I think it will be popular. I know if I had kids I'd be very tempted to get it for them, although I don't think it will have the same appeal to AFOL train lovers.

Great reviews as always def, even if you were missing a piece. :tongue:

It's a really nice set that I would love to pick up, but it's way over priced.

Thanks for the excellent review, def. The pics are great. Yeah it's an expensive set but Lego have done it well and with the great selection of figs and printed parts, I think it will be popular. I know if I had kids I'd be very tempted to get it for them, although I don't think it will have the same appeal to AFOL train lovers.
Great reviews as always def, even if you were missing a piece. :tongue:

It's a really nice set that I would love to pick up, but it's way over priced.

Thank you my Nizam brothers :skull:

Thanks for the comprehensive review, def!

I personally love all of the minifigs - especially Rex, Hamm and Bullseye, as you stated in your review - but I do agree with ZO6 in that I prefer standard minifigs more than these. One thing I find odd is that the dirty Jessie in Garbage Truck Getaway comes with a back print while this one hasn't been updated. :wacko:

The set seems a bit overpriced (even more so in other countries) for what you get. It would've been nice to get more features than just removable roofs and a trap door for the flagship set of Toy Story, and to get some interiors in the three train cars. :sceptic: It's still appealing though, with all of the printed parts and interesting color schemes. :thumbup:

It does! But the description from the Lego site call him Dr. Porkchops. Perhaps it's a twist from the movie, where he gets hit on the head and goes evil or something :tongue:
I recall someone posting in the Toy Story discussion thread that Andy called Hamm the Evil Doctor Porkchop (not sure if it's 'porkchop' or 'porkchops'; a TV ad I saw a while ago and BrickLink both say 'porkchop', but the LEGO Shop says 'porkchops') while playing with his toys in Toy Story 2. :wink: Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the review, def. I really like this set, but I got it while it was on sale at TRU for 60USD, which is actually a pretty good price. Also, for any of you train heads out there, this set features slightly redesigned buffers with sealed magnets. The part on the bottom where the magnet is screwed in no longer sticks out as far. It's not a big change, but I think I remember that someone who was modding the Emerald Night for 12V tracks had to trim the buffers, and the new ones fix this potential problem.

It would've been nice to get more features than just removable roofs and a trap door for the flagship set of Toy Story, and to get some interiors in the three train cars. :sceptic:

I was thinking the same thing about the lack of interior, especially in the passenger car. It would have been easy to add some chairs, but Woody and Jessie won't fit in them, so maybe that's why. Plus, the set design for the last couple of years has focused mostly on features that can be seen on the front of the box.

Nice set! and no stickers :thumbup: hope Lego wil do this in more themes in the future

I agree this set does capture the toy sense of the train really well. I am on the fence about the sculpted heads in this theme . Some are great like Buzz's and the LGM's but I think Woody's Jessie's and Prospector's seem to be enlarged too much. I think that they should have kept Jessie and Woody at normal minifig height so that they look a bit more proportioned in terms of the legs and arms to body and then scale down the head so they look more like Buzz.

BTW, the Hamm sex tape ruined Hamm and any pork products for me.

I can't say I'm a fan of this set. While it uses printed parts instead of stickers, it looks way too kitschy and loud for my taste (which is that real looking trains are cool and tacky looking things like this aren't). But I realise this is the aim of the design. Pricing is screwed up too, for a set of its size. For that much you can almost afford the powered passenger train!

Def, does Hamm's bowler hat suit a minifigure? Also you didn't mention the two free train wheels that come in the set.

Very nice review - thanks !

I'm really not sure about this set......its quirkiness appeals to me, but I won't be playing with it and can't see myself displaying it, so the price is probably too high just for the pleasure of building it and putting it back in the box. As others have stated, there are many other sets around this price point that I'd probably choose over this. If it gets heavily discounted at some point then I might be in play, otherwsie I'll probably pass. In some ways the same goes for other sets in this second wave of TS3 sets - it's hard to see them selling very well as they'll be too expensive for most kids, and most AFOLS will probably opt for other more displayable sets. In this case I fear that TLG's 'optimistic' pricing may badly hurt sales, which is probably not so much the case for the new trains, Star Wars etc. which I think will be bought by many (me included) almost regardless of their price.

Still, we'll see....

Dr. D.

As I got this set during a trip to the US it was only pushed around on the floor by my son who liked it actually very much. I was looking forward to put it finally on tracks and see it performing motorized.

First catch, how to motorize? First thing I tried (till now) is the classic 9V motor. To fit it ito a cab is odd regarding the wheel distance. Putting it into the engine (front part) I did not do till now. So I decided to to run the motor as a seperate "tender"of the engine. I did not construct anything around the motor.

Now here are the catches:

1.) The distance of the wheels in the waggons add a lot of friction in the curves making it pretty hard for the motor to pull it around and making the motor slip its wheels.

2.) The wheels of the engine need to be aligned carefully so that the wheels will (more or less well) spin freely. Then make and adaption to the mounting of the front part to change the blue axle-pin to a tan one as the tan one has less friction, this will make it easier for the engine to go around the corners.

Still the motor is working very hard to get the train moving. The straights are fine (surprise!), but the corners are quite difficult. The train will considerably slow down due to the friction involved.

An improvement would be to allow the axles of the waggons to move and adapt to the radius of the curve. That's the next thing to do :-)

fW

Great review!

Sadly this is another victim in the ridiculously overpriced bracket. £79.99 for 584 pieces? That is the worst price ive ever seen for a Lego set. It even gives lil Barriss Offee a run for his money! For £5 less i could get the battle of endor (890 pieces) or medieval market village for £10 less with a staggering 1601 pieces!!!!!

Def, does Hamm's bowler hat suit a minifigure? Also you didn't mention the two free train wheels that come in the set.

No, the hat won't fit a minifigure. It has a pin in the bottom that is slightly larger than the pin in plumes, so you can't even put it on the couple of hair pieces with holes in them. It is also made from a rubbery material.

Great review. I am not a huge fan of trains in general (they sink very easily don't you know) and I do like the Toy Story movie franchise....However...for whatever reason...i don't full understand it myself...i have to have this set.

Thanks again for the great review.

i got this set on sale for $60 at tru. i was planing to use it for parts but i always build first. that was a big mistake because my little girl saw it and now it is hers. she now has her first lego train.