What would be the advantage of metal axles if the gears remain plastic? Something is going to give somewhere right?

If you want to steer multiple axles in for example a long and heavy mobile crane, the axles will twist and make the steering jerky and less responsive. I can imagine metal axles to do wonders in such cases.

Alternatively you can greatly reduce the load on longer axles by having them spin at much higher speed but with more gearing down at the end.

Hi,

I was wondering since you're machining yourself those technic axles, can you do custom orders?

Specifically I would like to have steel axles that permits free gliding/sliding of the gears on them, a bit like how a worm gear freely slides on a regular axle. Is it possible/doable? I'm assuming you can machine them at any lenght.

@ Countdown: Inanimate Reason has Lego-style steel axles in 6 different lengths (13L-18L): "Chrome Silver Steel axle. 13L length with a round profile and a flat edge ground the length to allow it to be locked with a set screw. The diameter is perfect for Technic-sized holes. The ends have been ground and chamfered for ease of use and to eliminate sharp edges."

74160.jpg

@ Countdown: Inanimate Reason has Lego-style steel axles in 6 different lengths (13L-18L): "Chrome Silver Steel axle. 13L length with a round profile and a flat edge ground the length to allow it to be locked with a set screw. The diameter is perfect for Technic-sized holes. The ends have been ground and chamfered for ease of use and to eliminate sharp edges."

That's not what I was looking for... I already saw these on Inanimate Reason, but it's actually a technic axle that has a cross-section a couple of micrometer smaller to permit a gear to slide along while still "catching the rotation" and transmit it to the gear with minimal twisting.

That's not what I was looking for... I already saw these on Inanimate Reason, but it's actually a technic axle that has a cross-section a couple of micrometer smaller to permit a gear to slide along while still "catching the rotation" and transmit it to the gear with minimal twisting.

Yes those Technic style axles with the "X" shape cut throughout is available at Brick Machine Shop on Bricklink.

They are currently available in 19L units length only, but you can cut them simply to a length you want and file down the edges smooth again.

I'm sorry I can't seem to upload any more pics for some reason. Does anyone know how or when my "global upload quota" will be or can be reset.

I wanted to show you guys a new 4" Technic style linear acutator.

Eezo

I wanted to show you guys a new 4" Technic style linear acutator.

I am interested in this, too.

I think the good thing about plastic in lego is the limitations it puts you which makes you think hard, putting no lego pieces is not a good idea to me, in the end we will play meccano :laugh: .

Yeah, that`s great! I think, with this I can build the Designer Han`s 8421 XL once more. Also with 4 Pneumatic-Cylinders the longer boom was very to heavy for it. Did you make a video how it works?

I'm very interested

Thorsten

Here is what Eezo wrote about his new 4" Linear Actuator:

"Hello all, especially Technic fans. I've finally finished my Big 4 inch linear actuator! And its a beauty! All metal construction with axial and thrust bearings.

"It has 100mm of travel with inline and offsetted clevis end. Actuating pitch is about 8.5mm at 1.5mm of travel per revolution. The clutchless version is durable with the ability to receive an XL or regular motor in the end mount position. Motors not included.

"The optional sidemount plate allows for various gearing ability including Lego's clutch gear. Other external clutching devices could be attached. Easy to change drive shafts in the "X" or flatted style are available.

"Both endcaps of main cylinder are tapped for shoulder bolts to be mounted on opposing sides for pivot.

"And last but not least, of course metal gears are mountable. Hope you all like it. Available in my store any day now."

"Regards, Eezo"

99274.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I have been speaking to Eezo about his great products, them acturators are really really powerful. Would solve some of the issues I have with my robots.

Wow those actuators look awesome! Someone will have to post a video with them. Enzo also makes metal u-joints, they are 10 each. just look around in his store.

tim

Yes I've finished the actuator

will you publish a small video of them, and what will be the price?