gusmoore17

Harry Potter 2010 discussion thread

I have got to say, well done LEGO with the new Harry Potter sets. Will be buying at least one of every set to 'flesh' out my Star Wars universe. I think that the bar has been well and truely raised.

I am simply in in awe of the number and diversity of Lego hair pieces coming out this year. Between HP, the collectible mini-fig theme, and Prince of Persia, there are a TON of new hair pieces. Really, really cool stuff. That Bellatrix hair is CRAZY!!

Btw. has anybody noticed the brown door at the great hall? That looks like a new one to me, but i could be wrong. For sure it is different than the doors in that style that we have known sicne some years.

Yes, it's a new kind of door. It's a bit like the new window shutters, relying on vertical clip plates or the newer clip bricks. It's nice to have a new style of doors, although I liked the old style more (which made use of the Shutter Holder piece). Oh, well, it's nice because not all the doors have to be the same.

IMG_3537.jpg

And I'm one of the few who actually like the Hagrid's Hut set. I have the first one, a really nice set, but the roof wasn't so good. I think I'm going to rebuild the set and then perhaps make my own roof. Meanwhile I'm trying to get my hands on the second version, but this new version looks also very nice! :thumbup:

EDIT:

According to FBTB, this October wave is the only cycle scheduled. Maybe it will be so successful that they'll decide to make some more, but right now it seems like just the one wave. At least it's a great way to go!

That's a shame to hear, but also not unexpected to hear. On the other hand, isn't it a bit early to say there isn't going to be a second wave? Anyway, I'm just too happy that they've made these great set, with many figures we have been asking for. It's indeed an even better way to go than the Hogwarts Castle set of 2007.

Edited by Matn

Have been a bit abscent a few days.

But it is really good to come back and see that there are so many great pictures of the new HP sets.

So many great new pieces and faces. Will probably end up with a few of the sets.

*Man wasn´t this a dead theme? Now more money will go from SW into HP again!!*

In the pictures of the board game, the hufflepuff and ravenclaw figures look like cedric and luna. Wish we had a cedric figure and a fleur figure.

Well, I'm probably just going to echo others comments, but I feel I should now add my own after having had a day or two to think on it!

WOW! :oh3: I think the attention to minifigs in particular is great this time round. Also I think some of the colour combos for buildings are more cohesive than before.

The Hogwarts Express is a let-down :sceptic: , for those who have the old one already (of course plenty of kids who'll be delighted to get it!). The new Ford Anglia is perhaps less the correct proportions than the one from Privet Drive, *but* it has some nice new details and I think the front bonnet and grille are perhaps better captured (besides - cool parts). :sweet: Again the minifigs are great too - it's a pity Luna is in this set as it makes it more of a must-have despite the redundant train (i.e. when you include the reasonably good car, other minifigs and the parts, compared to the poor value of paying top dollar for a single minifig on bricklink). I love the expression on Ginny's face here - though I wonder is the head double-sided? Ron's new hair is so much better, particularly for the later film appearances!

Hagrids Hut is also a bit of a letdown, I'm struggling to find anything better than the previous one. :sceptic: Hermione's new face is reasonable and I think better than the last one, but I liked the original one too. Looks like Hagrid has a more interesting face. I'm not that excited about Aragog although I think some aspects are better than the old one, but not all (don't like the printed/stickered brick head, but the body looks good and the legs are a bit longer and menacing - although the latter possibly due to the fact they are katanas!)

The new Hogwarts is absolutely astounding in my opinion. :wub: It makes clever use of scale to from the outside look like the much bigger buildings in the film (i.e. proportions do the job despite it not being minifig scale), but of course minifig-scale small interior. The folding up aspect makes it a better "playset" in my opinion and also probably improves the exterior view also! It appears to be jammed to the gills on the inside with details, trinkets and mechanisms! Again the minifigs are top-notch - I love the Filch minifig! The new Dementors are so much more menacing just by the new more tattered black robes!

The Burrow also uses some of tactics of Hogwarts in keeping the proportions of the building it captures in brick, despite not being a scale model. The choice of colours and parts is perfect in my opinion. :wub: However, what really makes the set too is the reasonably detailed kitchen - a great play scene for kids (or indeed just for the rest of us to enjoy and/or expand on). Then finally the set is blown through the roof by the minifigs! Ginny's hair is spot on and such a different hairpiece compared to previous ones! Bellatrix is also captured perfectly, and Molly and Arthur are great also, as well as the other bad guy (name?). Ginny's jeans and top will be great parts as well!

The Quidditch match. I admit this doesn't excite me as much as the two above, but it's a good minifig pack and some nice details :classic: (useful and nice gold technic flexi-axles, trophy - possibly Belville?)

Finally Dobby's release - well, Dobby's new head is good, and Lucius Malfoy is pretty well done, but the little scene is a bit non-descript. :sceptic:

All in all, this revisiting of Harry Potter gets a HUGE thumbs up from me! :thumbup:

Whew! All done! I think this post deserves a scattering of emoticons though I usually avoid them.

I think that TLC should have made the Wands smaller. They are so big, they could be used as canes. :tongue:

It's not like they are hardly used, there is at least 1 wand in every set.

If anyone didn't see the snippet at the top of my earlier posts Bellas head is double sided, it shows her scared/worried:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ageowns/2010To...702879663778258

Er, that's great and all, but no need to post it twice. You're not going to get a reply to every comment you make.

I agree that the sets a pretty expensive for what you get (especially the Quittich one), but do the molds cost that much to make?

Anyway, I think Bellatrix's hair just might be the best hairpiece ever. It's so... big and poofy, and the design is so intricate. I look forward to making my female figures more unique with this. :thumbup:

trophy - possibly Belville?)

It's the same one as in the new World Racers sets :wink:

I agree with your remarks about the clever scale of Hogwarts looking 'bigger on the outside' - a great technique and quite revolutionary for an official LEGO design.

The Burrows looks to be one of the nicest house parts building packs ever (outside of a Creator set, and even better than most of those) with its assortment of dark red roof slopes, medium blue shutters, tan *and* white windows, lots of pieces in dark nougat, 2 dark tan bushes, the detailed kitchen, even flowers and a pig! Amazing! :wub: Is there a story reason why the roof cap slopes are in dark bley rather than in dark red?

I really love that almost all these sets are combo deals of action scenes - The Burrows is made a whole new level of amazing by including the burning fields scene and characters, Hagrid's Hut is more exciting with Aragog (I also like the design better but hate the sticker), etc. Dobby's release is fine for an entry level set with 3 characters - for the lowest price point I don't see how people could expect much more.

With Indy gone now, I'm really glad that we have another licensed line with amazing general-use figure parts too, especially from the Burrows set :thumbup:

It's a bit sad that the most common printed item looks to be a 1x2 tile with sock (as found in Freeing Dobby and the Burrows, and no doubt elsewhere as well) but I guess it's no surprise these days. It doesn't bother me any more than it does in any line, it's just sad when you go back and build sets from 2001-2005 where it seemed almost every unique piece was printed.

It's a bit sad that the most common printed item looks to be a 1x2 tile with sock (as found in Freeing Dobby and the Burrows, and no doubt elsewhere as well) but I guess it's no surprise these days.

Hey, you can never have too many socks :tongue:

I agree that the sets a pretty expensive for what you get (especially the Quittich one), but do the molds cost that much to make?

I don't see how they're that expensive for what you get. In the Quidditch set you do get five minifigures and there seems to be a lot of nice parts in there. When was the last time we ever got five licensed figures in a set under $20? I think just the figures basically justifies the price, but there's light blue, dark red, and other pieces in nice colors included in the set.

The train I suppose is a little bit much for $80, though if the piece count displayed on the box of 646 is right it wasn't going to be under $70.

Hagrid's Hut might also be ten bucks too much at $40, but I don't think we've had a confirmed piece count on that yet so I can only judge by the size of the model.

The Burrow is a completely perfect price for the model and all the wonderful figures.

The Castle seems right to me. It is pretty darn big, and has lots of new and nice figures. If the prelim piece count is correct at 1290, the price is even perfect price-per-piece wise.

I don't see how these are really that overpriced at all.

I suppose you're right- five figs for under 20 USD is great. But I was going more on the amount of pieces and what else you get. Not counting new prints, this set would be about the same size as a SW battle pack. Not to turn this into a price rant, though, it's still a good set, just a little more expensive than it should be/ would've been if there wasn't so much hype, IMO.

Are we really not getting a Neville with this release? It seems crazy to me to release all the main characters including Luna and Ginny but leave out Neville...

The Castle seems right to me. It is pretty darn big, and has lots of new and nice figures. If the prelim piece count is correct at 1290, the price is even perfect price-per-piece wise.

I'm just grateful they went all-out with the Castle rather than cutting corners just to meet a designated arbitrary price point of under $US100 bucks or something similar :thumbup:

Is $US129.99 a record for a non-Star Wars licensed set?

Is $US129.99 a record for a non-Star Wars licensed set?

By so it is! For a single set at least; there were some Harry Potter Complete Collection type bundles that came out early on, but I don't really count those. :wink:

Actually, $130 is kind of a record even including Star Wars. None of the "regular release" Star Wars sets have yet been over $120, it's only all those exclusives like the Tantive and the AT-OT that are more.

LEGO is certainly getting up there price-wise, but I agree with you Svelte that it's nice for them to really go all out on the Castle. Since it is most likely the last wave of Harry Potter sets, it's great to have a large flagship set like that. I think they covered the Castle very nicely, and I can't think of much that is obviously missing.

Actually, $130 is kind of a record even including Star Wars. None of the "regular release" Star Wars sets have yet been over $120, it's only all those exclusives like the Tantive and the AT-OT that are more.

LEGO is certainly getting up there price-wise, but I agree with you Svelte that it's nice for them to really go all out on the Castle. Since it is most likely the last wave of Harry Potter sets, it's great to have a large flagship set like that. I think they covered the Castle very nicely, and I can't think of much that is obviously missing.

Is it possible then, that the Hogwarts will be an exclusive, or that it won't be too common? It might be like the '07 Hogwarts, which, from what I've heard, was not exactly in every store.

Is it possible then, that the Hogwarts will be an exclusive, or that it won't be too common? It might be like the '07 Hogwarts, which, from what I've heard, was not exactly in every store.

Frankly speaking, I doubt that Hogwarts will be an exclusive set. I'm pretty sure that those kids (TFOLs and AFOLs also) that missed the previous waves of Potter would very much welcome the set. Since it contains all core characters and locations. It would be really unwise for LEGO it limit the number of stores, selling this set.

However it could be proclaimed to be a limited edition to rocket the price, but in that case case it'll be as "limited" as Separatist Spider Droid of SW, IMHO. ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :classic:

Edited by The Penguin

Not a fan of the series, but I can't pass off the offer of more minifigs.

I'll get the small sets, or whatever I can afford to spend a little on.

Though all these sets look pretty sweet, I can't help but notice one thing. This wave doesn't seem to follow the harrypotter tradition. It seems Professor Slughorn on't be released, and, even though Snape was the DADA teacher in year six, Slughorn is still one of the only teachers who's minifig is essential and yet, remains missing :hmpf_bad: It is rather dissapointing to see that we won't be getting him.

Though all these sets look pretty sweet, I can't help but notice one thing. This wave doesn't seem to follow the harrypotter tradition. It seems Professor Slughorn on't be released, and, even though Snape was the DADA teacher in year six, Slughorn is still one of the only teachers who's minifig is essential and yet, remains missing :hmpf_bad: It is rather dissapointing to see that we won't be getting him.

That's true. :sceptic: We have had Quirrel, Lockhart, Lupin, Mad-Eye, and Umbridge. I've never noticed that pattern before. I'm hoping these sell tremendously well and we get a wave 2 with updates of Sirius, Lupin, Wormtail, Neville, Mad-Eye and new figures of Slughorn, Tonks, Fred and George, Cedric, Bill and Fleur... How awesome would a Shell Cottage set be? :wub:

Also, I'm surprised that Dumbledore hasn't been updated since Goblet of Fire... :wacko:

-darthperson