Superkalle

[KEY TOPIC] LDD feature requests

Hi

Good with more input.

Regarding "all parts that can go together should". Please note that LDD will not support "illegal" connections, for example to place a plate vertically between two studs (a technique that was used in Lego se sets many years ago, but is not allowed today).

Regarding an advanced program, I know the proposal has been made to the LDD team, and it is under concideration, including "expanded" capabilities. We'll see what happens.

By way of clarification, I still encounter parts in the pallette that connect legally with real parts and have been featured in official sets, but do not do so in LDD. The coffee cup is one example, and the goblet is another. I've encountered others as well, but I can't think of them at the moment. The problem with technic axles not fully inserting into the technic rod ends is all kinds of suck, as well. In the digital, and with real bricks, I try to use legal connections.

5. group/selection-color change. I made a 19 story skyscraper, with around 28 windows each floor. I then wanted to copy and paste it and cut out a few floors to make another building. I wanted to change the color....that was a pain. I had 5 buildings to make.......

7. Camera angle. This is not for me, but for others, as I know some would love the option. Just make it an option though. Like, if you press and hold a key then you can move your mouse and rotate the camera. It's that odd axis that is in the other programs but that I find annoying.

They have these already.

Solution to 5. You can select the colour+piece selection tool, and clone them and just highlight all the ones from the cloned building by dragging from one side to the other and choosing your colour from the colour fill menu.

Solution to 7. Hold Shift and drag.

:wink:

I don't know if this has been stated, but Hermione's hair doesn't go on a fig head. :sceptic:

I don't know if this has been stated, but Hermione's hair doesn't go on a fig head. :sceptic:

I can get it on the head piece just fine. The problem is that it doesn't fit on the shoulders of a fig. Which is, admittedly, an error.

On that note, the "ghost sheet" doesn't fit on a fig head at all. And you can't use parts other than those designed as heads on a minifig neck, preventing you from making these dudes from the Aerial Defense Unit.

Just a small wish..

Ther is a "Collapse dividers" button. - I would like a "Expand all" button, so I don't have to push all the + buttons..

Make sure that the arm always rotates from the shoulder, or even better, if you click closer to the hand, make it hinge from there and if you click towards the shoulder, rotate from the shoulder. The current setup pisses me off! :sceptic:

Ability to group parts into a larger module, would be nice too.

What do you mean exactly. There is a grouping function allready, but I suppose that's not what you mean?

I've got one more wish:

A function that allows you to 'Save and Lock' a camera angle, which could make LDD an acceptable 3D LEGO animation suite.

For example, I set up all my props. I find the camera angle I want, and hit a button labeled something like 'Save Camera Angle'. I take a screenshot for frame 1, then rotate to the overhead view to set up for frame 2. Then I could press a button like 'Snap to Saved Camera Angle', and the camera returns to frame 1's view, allowing me to take the screenshot for frame 2 from the same angle as frame 1.

I've got one more wish:

A function that allows you to 'Save and Lock' a camera angle, which could make LDD an acceptable 3D LEGO animation suite.

For example, I set up all my props. I find the camera angle I want, and hit a button labeled something like 'Save Camera Angle'. I take a screenshot for frame 1, then rotate to the overhead view to set up for frame 2. Then I could press a button like 'Snap to Saved Camera Angle', and the camera returns to frame 1's view, allowing me to take the screenshot for frame 2 from the same angle as frame 1.

Excellent idea. I think something similar has been discussed earlier, but maybe not exactly "Saved Camera Angle".

An ability to take a piece of the corrugated pipe for instance and attach it to a starting point. Then, click on an alignment tool, click on the other end of the pipe and then click on the final attachment point. The end result would be giving the pipe a "bend". (In my head that makes sense but if it doesn't, let me know and I'll see what I can do). An example of the end reuslt I'm looking for:

77074376.png

An ability to take a piece of the corrugated pipe for instance and attach it to a starting point. Then, click on an alignment tool, click on the other end of the pipe and then click on the final attachment point. The end result would be giving the pipe a "bend". (In my head that makes sense but if it doesn't, let me know and I'll see what I can do). An example of the end reuslt I'm looking for:

77074376.png

It makes sense. It's one of my #1 gripes with LDD, that none of the 'flexible' pieces flex.

The HTML instructions are rather sad. There's no reason why it can't generate a PDF document of the instructions.

I also like an easier way to get the piece count than to create the bloated HTML instructions. Someone else said something about it and the response was "just generate a building guide" which is kinda ridiculous. There should be an option to make the right-hand column a useful info display as opposed to some annoying animated thing or other useless info. The piece count should be displayed right there, including other info like number of each color.

It is sometimes hard to rotate the correct part. I would like to see a lock down function. Essentially, hinges allow only the free item to rotate when connected to a locked part. Maybe a button similar to the hide tool that you could turn on and off easily.

The HTML instructions are rather sad. There's no reason why it can't generate a PDF document of the instructions.

But then TLG would probably have to get an agreement from Adobe to integrate a free PDF generator in the LDD Download.

But then TLG would probably have to get an agreement from Adobe to integrate a free PDF generator in the LDD Download.

Well, MacOSX already has print-to-pdf functionality integrated, so ostensibly the Mac-compatible version of LDD could use that to generate PDF instructions. Windows users without Acrobat Distiller or one of the free PDF generators available would be out of luck, though.

Well, MacOSX already has print-to-pdf functionality integrated, so ostensibly the Mac-compatible version of LDD could use that to generate PDF instructions. Windows users without Acrobat Distiller or one of the free PDF generators available would be out of luck, though.

PDF is an open standard and freely implementable by anyone (though interestingly Adobe still tried to sue Microsoft when they originally added it to Office). TLG could add it, but I'm not sure there would be much of a point unless the quality of printed building instructions was significantly improved over the current HTML ones.

I wish they would let one have influence on the instructions e.g. use the grouped pieces or templates that one uses for submodels in the instructions. For larger buildings the instructions are totally crap is my experience.

I wish they would let one have influence on the instructions e.g. use the grouped pieces or templates that one uses for submodels in the instructions. For larger buildings the instructions are totally crap is my experience.

Yepp, couldn't agree more. And the idea to use grouped pieces as input to the instruction algorithm is a great idea. I'll make sure to pass it on to the LDD team.

A little Wish for universe mode.

In universe mode, when you select a colour, all bricks changes consequently.

Unfortunately often this feature hardly reduces visibility of the bricks, so that more than one time I'm forced to change colour in order to locate a brick, and than change the colour again to pick it.

It would be useful an option to show bricks in the best way as possible, with hight contrast and visible details, independently from the chosen colour.

It would be useful an option to show bricks in the best way as possible, with hight contrast and visible details, independently from the chosen colour.

Interesting idea. Can you show a screenshot when problem can be seen?

The issue is easily reproducible.

However, here is the screenshots:

- DkStone

- White

- Black

As you can easily see, DkStone pieces are much more visible.

Edited by Calabar

The issue is easily reproducible.

However, here is the screenshots:

- DkStone

- White

- Black

As you can easily see, DkStone pieces are much more visible.

Aha, you meant in the Color palette. Sorry, I misunderstod you. OK, yes, that is very annoying.

But how should it work instead according to you? Sorry, I'm a bit slow in the head today, so can you please explain :tongue: