Nabii

LEGO Collectable Minifigures General Discussion

think Carbo needs to recheck BL since plenty of figs below $2 ea. and only a few over that and mostly by scalper sellers and such which I never buy from anyway.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=M&catID=746

Or maybe you do, the cheapest decent US figures on that list are 3.99 each and part of a superlot for the set of 16 @ $64. The only ones lower are the crappier ones or international.

What's the cheapest set out there? A lot more than $2 or $2.50 each, I'll bet on that.

I feel like stirring it all up a bit more... if I was responsible for all of this and got a kick out of reading all of the heated and frustrated comments about it you know what I'd have done to make it even more bastardly (dastardly but with a b)?

I would've released all the series' in the exact same packaging. Boohahaha!!! All the bags, and all the boxes exactly the same. That'd stick it up 'em! Either no barcodes, or keep reusing old ones bahaha... Noone would know what was what!!! You couldn't even buy a box to make sure you got them all, because you wouldn't know which series it was!!! :devil:

Did I just buy a box of series 3? Or series 1? Am I completing my collection or doubling my number of figures I already have too many of?

I am suprised that Lego would engage in a business practise so distasteful and extremely unfriendly and unlike Lego. As for the rest I agree. This is a great example of great idea but horrible execution. They deserve to have a lot of hurt and angry fans!

heres one:

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=bader&itemID=17374401

heres another

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=moctagonjones&itemID=17426194

shall I go for more since you obviously did not even bother looking and also since you only buy in the US where supply was much more limited then Europe had where you can find hundreds of figs for under $2 (and believe it or not Shipping is not that much more then from the US)its obvious you will not find many that are cheap, just like a certain seller I used to buy my armor and helmets from in Europe since his prices were like 1/10th of what the same items were being sold for in the US, if you limit what countries you buy from your only screwing yourself, furthermore you can buy whole boxs of these figs for less then what they cost here in the stores, and even in the US many sell for under $3 which is still good since the figs Cost about $2.75 at my local TRU, like I said before only a few will be priced high, while many will go down in price due to lack of interest in them.

Edited by Asterios

But your examples are the 2 figures that nobody wants and that everyone keeps getting in multiples with orders from LEGO because they are 5 per box. Who knows what these are going to do in the future, but using the worst figs out to back up your case doesn't really prove anything. Any type of collectible like this ends up with shelf warmers and the diver and dummy are this series' warmers. I don't doubt that the popular minifigs will be worth a considerable amount in the next few months.

The simple fact is Lego released a popular product that was available for about 10 frickin days. as a customer that pissed me off. I shouldn't have to buy them off Bricklink Two weeks after they were released by Lego. If someone in my organization did something this stupid and as I see it disrespectful toward our customers they wouldn't have a job. I buy from Europe all the time. I have never had to after two weeks. If you don't think this is stupid that's fine with me. I think it is totally moronic for Lego to have done this. It feels like a big screw you from TLG toward it's most loyal customers. They clearly don't care.

But your examples are the 2 figures that nobody wants and that everyone keeps getting in multiples with orders from LEGO because they are 5 per box. Who knows what these are going to do in the future, but using the worst figs out to back up your case doesn't really prove anything. Any type of collectible like this ends up with shelf warmers and the diver and dummy are this series' warmers. I don't doubt that the popular minifigs will be worth a considerable amount in the next few months.

but that was my point, like I said some will go up while others go down, its all a matter of desire by who buys what and furthermore other figs can be bought for cheap if bought overseas, the cheerleader and the zombie are going to be the high priced ones, now other then the ones I have in my 2 unopened boxs I could have bought more of those but did not since while their nice their not for me since I've already spent what I'm going to spend on these.

furthermore many buyers are already getting theirs, if you look at previous sales none of the high priced ones are selling only low priced ones.

and then there is my other context that we are about to see a major flood of these figures hit the market here shortly since found out my local TRU just got in 4 more boxs (or 2 cases) with orders to limit sales to 3-5 per person, also I heard from my friend he found some at the local Walmart too, now I haven't been there to check them out yet, i don't doubt his word.

I think LEGO short sold these to create demand so they can sell them all, one thing I learned along time ago is if it says Collectible it is not collectible.

One only needs to look at the Bricklink price guide to get a general sense of where the pricing seems to be going with series 1. Consider the caveman. Currently the lowest price for the same figure is $2.97 (US). The cheerleader is even pricier and many stores are not including accessories. A clown is $3.06 minimum; a skater kid is $2.97; the forestman can be had for a steel at $2.59. Let's not forget that these are the absolute lowest prices right now. Moreover, most of these prices are coming from different stores. If one were to look at the average price people have been paying for the past month it seems more than reasonable to expect to pay between $3.00 and $4.00 for one of these collectable figures. I very much doubt that prices will drop when these are no longer on store shelves.

4.00 sounds fair considering the original price, all the speculation and the fact you get to choose what fig you'll get, something that is very hard to do online. If I could use bl I would buy me a robot.

Someone hasn't been checking Bricklink prices!

If you just want a complete set bricklink sounds less expensive than buying a whole box. Buying the box wouldn't make sense unless you want 60 of these figs. But the quality issues don't really make it sound so attractive. Of course, you could get a box intending to resell it. Good luck with that though, there are other thousand guys with the same plan, and at the end, I don't really see your profits surpassing the opportunity cost anyway... You'll be able to sell the 3 cheerleaders in your box for 7 dollars each, but it will be very hard to sell the more common ones (which as you bought a whole box, you'll have plenty of) Why would you sell your cheerleaders anyway? Even I would enjoy to have some as I would be able to make an evil cheerleader robot army with them... That leaves you with you trying to sell scuba divers on a market that will already be saturated of unwanted scuba drivers.

The simple fact is Lego released a popular product that was available for about 10 frickin days. as a customer that pissed me off. I shouldn't have to buy them off Bricklink Two weeks after they were released by Lego. If someone in my organization did something this stupid and as I see it disrespectful toward our customers they wouldn't have a job. I buy from Europe all the time. I have never had to after two weeks. If you don't think this is stupid that's fine with me. I think it is totally moronic for Lego to have done this. It feels like a big screw you from TLG toward it's most loyal customers. They clearly don't care.

You don't have any obligation nor a right to get these minifigs... I don't see how is it offensive to consumers or stupid. Besides, the official US release date has not even come yet, it is premature to make any conclusion. There are no indications at all that the product is not available anymore. With reports of TRU and other stores still getting new boxes over and over again.

Edited by vexorian

I think LEGO short sold these to create demand so they can sell them all, one thing I learned along time ago is if it says Collectible it is not collectible.

That's not what short selling means, but I'm not gonna argue semantics. In fact, I forget why we were even arguing!

So about the figs! I really am looking forward to the cop in wave 2, though I imagine a lot of people are going to be going after the centurion. Oh, I also want a mariachi, but that's mainly so I can throw his poncho on the cowboy and have a Clint Eastwood!

That's not what short selling means, but I'm not gonna argue semantics. In fact, I forget why we were even arguing!

So about the figs! I really am looking forward to the cop in wave 2, though I imagine a lot of people are going to be going after the centurion. Oh, I also want a mariachi, but that's mainly so I can throw his poncho on the cowboy and have a Clint Eastwood!

You genuinely want the cop? That's something you don't hear often. I think it is all right but it really seems not to have anything new.

out of series one and series 2 series 2 has more figs that I would be interested in, in fact I am already setting money aside to buy cases of them, funny thing is I have a feeling the Centurion will have the most distribution per case of about 4-5 per case.

Edited by Asterios

You genuinely want the cop? That's something you don't hear often. I think it is all right but it really seems not to have anything new.

Yeah. Something about the aviators and what appears to be a ticket book reminds me of Super Troopers and highway troopers in general who take themselves too seriously. I love it! No need for more than one, though - it's definitely not an army-building fig.

I think you may be right there (I was considering this the other day)... they created an illusion of a lack of supply in order to create a frenzy of "Oh no, I'm going to miss out! I'd better buy as many as I can!" then keep releasing them slowly and staggered to keep the demand a bit ahead of the supply at all times. Otherwise if they'd released them in good supply from the start the leftover stock would've just sat there, everyone having already bought what they wanted in the first place, not worried that they would miss out. This way people (and scalpers) buy more than they otherwise would have. Sneaky.

edit:

That's not what short selling means, but I'm not gonna argue semantics.

Oh yeah, oops. You're right, but I knew what he meant by it. Edited by Artanis I

Found a full unopened box in a major shopping centre yesterday. Had to pay full price but they had to call their HQ to find out how many minifigs were in since the box did not say anything about that and I did not allow them to cut the box seals. Of course, I purchased a "few" extra figs as well and in one store, the person at the cash register made a mistake and granted me 15% discount on my purchase which resulted in 11 free minifigs!

4.00 sounds fair considering the original price, all the speculation and the fact you get to choose what fig you'll get, something that is very hard to do online. If I could use bl I would buy me a robot.

If you just want a complete set bricklink sounds less expensive than buying a whole box. Buying the box wouldn't make sense unless you want 60 of these figs. But the quality issues don't really make it sound so attractive. Of course, you could get a box intending to resell it. Good luck with that though, there are other thousand guys with the same plan, and at the end, I don't really see your profits surpassing the opportunity cost anyway... You'll be able to sell the 3 cheerleaders in your box for 7 dollars each, but it will be very hard to sell the more common ones (which as you bought a whole box, you'll have plenty of) Why would you sell your cheerleaders anyway? Even I would enjoy to have some as I would be able to make an evil cheerleader robot army with them... That leaves you with you trying to sell scuba divers on a market that will already be saturated of unwanted scuba drivers.

You don't have any obligation nor a right to get these minifigs... I don't see how is it offensive to consumers or stupid. Besides, the official US release date has not even come yet, it is premature to make any conclusion. There are no indications at all that the product is not available anymore. With reports of TRU and other stores still getting new boxes over and over again.

Did I say I had an obligation to buy them or claim it was a right? If I want to I could pay the ridiculous prices online. From a business and customer satisfaction perspective this was a poor decision. There are tons of pissef off people. I was in a Lwgo store today and it was full of angry patrons. It is sold out on Lego's website and the stores may get one more shipment next week that they expect will be gone in one day. Parents are angry, kids are upset, collectors are disappointed. do you think this makes good business sense if a company like Lego..... Do you think it helps them or hurts them? I think they come across looking very poor on this one. The values of Lego are not reflected in leaving so many customers out in the cold.

Did I say I had an obligation to buy them or claim it was a right? If I want to I could pay the ridiculous prices online. From a business and customer satisfaction perspective this was a poor decision. There are tons of pissef off people. I was in a Lwgo store today and it was full of angry patrons. It is sold out on Lego's website and the stores may get one more shipment next week that they expect will be gone in one day. Parents are angry, kids are upset, collectors are disappointed. do you think this makes good business sense if a company like Lego..... Do you think it helps them or hurts them? I think they come across looking very poor on this one. The values of Lego are not reflected in leaving so many customers out in the cold.

Thats why LEGO bowing to the popularity of the minifigs will suddenly find a large stock they didn't realize they had.

Aren't we getting a little worked up? Alot of sets sell out and then they are back in the shop a month down the road. Right?

Aren't we getting a little worked up? Alot of sets sell out and then they are back in the shop a month down the road. Right?

thats what I've said LEGO has a past History of selling out of a Hot item and then less then a month they suddenly get another shipment from wherever and are able to list them.

I Believe this is not a mistake on LEGO's part but intentionally done to create more sales if LEGO shipped out their entire stock they have they would have product sitting on their shelves and not selling, this way they are creating a demand causing people to buy more then they would, furthermore the term collectible is a falsehood since most companies that put out something and called it collectible it ended up turning out to be anything but, all this is, is just another marketing ploy by LEGO.

I went into my local Target store which has been selling the minifigs to get a few more. Unfortunatly I found all the packets had been ripped open and the figures were in pieces with many missing. Such a shame people would resort to this kind of behaviour.

I went into my local Target store which has been selling the minifigs to get a few more. Unfortunatly I found all the packets had been ripped open and the figures were in pieces with many missing. Such a shame people would resort to this kind of behaviour.

WTF ?

People have been ripping the bags open, where's the flamin' stofre security eh ?

I guess people hadn't heard of the cheat sheets, did you offer a price for the damaged bags etc, you might have scored big time !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Which is why reselling extra figures on Bricklink shouldn't be that difficult.,,

So you mean to tell me that only cheerleaders will net you a profit on the secondary market? Yes, moving scuba divers for a profit will be difficult. Moving a few clowns, forestmen, zombies, nurses, cheerleaders, skaters, robots and skateboarders to pay for the rest of your collection shouldn't be a problem. I'm sorry, but I don't see anything that would indicate that a box purchaser is going to have a terrible time unloading the extra figs and come out even when the demand for these things is so high. Yes, that could change if LEGO decides to make a second run of these figures and oversaturate the market. The thing is, LEGO has even emphasized that these will be available only for a limited time and in limited quantities. With Series 2 hitting in a bit more than a month, I don't really expect to see a lot more of series 1 in the future.

I don't think anybody implied that it is your right to get these figures. That being said, for many consumers collectables are often regarded as being an offensive marketing tactic. I mean, weren't you arguing a few pages back that barcodes were cheating and that people using them were 'abusing' the system? As collectables, these figures are going to be subject to the same practices that are common to other toys in the collectables market. Hoarding and scalping are hardly unique to this line. Still, these behaviours are something that most AFOLs aren't used to. Typically if a set becomes available, everybody has ample opportunity to obtain it. With these collectables, this isn't necessarily the case.

As for the US release date, I'm under the impression that it was simply moved forward. The figures were available through S@H, Toys R Us, LEGO stores and a few select retailers. Yes, some major retailers may not have yet received their shipment (Target, Walmart), but there are several indications that these figures are not here for the long haul. The fact that S@H has already sold out and several retailers have indicated that they are only getting one more shipment does not imply that you will be seeing many boxes in July or August when series 2 comes out. In fact, I would expect that LEGO would want series 1 to clear quickly so series 2 can make its way onto shelves.

I wouldn't say that; I think lots of people do like the dummy a lot. I think part of the reason it's being offered for such a low price there is because that one isn't complete - it's missing the license plate tile.

I am so disapoint at TLG for under producing these figures. They should sack whom ever was responsible. Selling out in the US in two weeks. What a stupid stupid stupid stupid move!

I wish people would be more reasonable than this. After all, suppose LEGO hadn't produced these figures. Would you really be better off than if they had? Of course not. Because there is absolutely no difference between the figs being out of stock and the figs having never existed. Either way, you don't own the figs. No need to have a competitive, "If I can't have them, NOBODY can!" attitude.

I haven't even looked for the collectible figs yet. And yes, I'd be happy to get my hands on a few. But some people are acting like if LEGO releases a set they like, they're under obligation to purchase it, and if they can't then somehow LEGO "owes them". This is selfish, illogical, and downright ridiculous.

Yes, LEGO may have made a mistake by not anticipating such huge demand. But that doesn't mean the figures are a mistake themselves. A huge demand means that they were even better than anticipated, and given the opportunity I'm sure LEGO is just as keen on cashing in on that demand as you're keen on satisfying it for yourselves.

sic: The Cop?

That is actually my favorite of Wave 2. Love the aviators.

Agreed-- so many people have been dumping on the highway patrol cop, but personally I want to get a few! I definitely plan on swapping these guys out with the current motorcycle cops on the force, so to speak. Wish the police motorcycle was still being produced, in fact-- I'd probably get 2 or 3 more just for this upcoming fig.

In fact, the more I look at series 2, there are less figs that I want multiples of in comparison to Series 1. Obviously the Spartan is a no-brainer as far as army-builder is concerned, but otherwise the cop is one of the few I covet in that aspect. Maybe I'd grab a few extra surfers just for the bare chest torso, or an extra adventurer to swap that head onto one of my Imperial Navy officers, but otherwise I'll be satisfied with one of each.

Ive been reading over the last few pages on this forum and i haven't seen many people talking about the kids who want these , Not the AFOLs who go to toys'r'us n buy 3 cases

These minifigs after all where made as a children s toy and made affordable for kids to buy with pocket money and trade in the school yard

I think that LEGO didn't take into account the amount of collectors and people trying to make an easy buck buying every box they can get there hands on

In my opinion the only solution would be to sell a complete set or 2 half sets of 8 in a display box just like the vintage minifigs with a max of 1 per person online

This keeps the surprise bags for the kids and stops greedy people from reselling at a high mark up

Personally i was disappointed there was no warning they were selling out so quick online

I live 200 miles away from the nearest toys'r'us and get my LEGO from shop at home, I have been adding a couple to my cart with my last few orders thinking i would have at least 6-8 weeks

Turned out to be 3 weeks that they had them in stock

Also when i added 2 to my cart shipping stayed the same , but add an extra 1 = 3 the shipping jumped up 2 bucks

Out of the 12 bags i bought i got 4 cavemen and 4 wrestlers and was getting a little wound up,

So once i found out they sold out i got most of the figs i didnt have for 4 bucks each (sealed) on BL inc shipping

I think 4 Bucks is a fair price but i cant see them staying this low for long

Amazon has sellers selling them $6 ea plus $5 shipping