Ja7on

Smash'n'Grab Review

Space Police 2010 Set # 5982: Smash'n'Grab

I wandered through Toys 'R Us today, hoping to find an Atlantis set and stumbled upon the two new Space Police sets instead. Since I have been drooling over the new Battlestar Galactica-type helmets, I was quite excited! The set was $20 US.

( Various sizes of photos are available at my brand-spanking-new Flickr Stream ... )

4114327920_46c8738aed_d.jpg

Here is the back of the box ... handy options such as a crane arm and a removable cockpit abound!

4113558843_aa293391ec.jpg

The parts list includes some purple, but many are strange purple parts like hoods and side panels ... drat!

4113558621_53f7f68e7c.jpg

The sticker sheet has some useful stickers. I can't face blowing them on the stock set ...

4114327380_4f4d489e7a.jpg

Are we ready to build it yet? :grin:

4113551353_d152407306.jpg

Minifig Time!!

A typical Space Police Officer (with a double-sided head) ...

4114321282_93aa3e53e0.jpg

4114321478_0f4d140d49.jpg

(note, this is the exact same figure as you will find in #5981: Raid VPR ... head and everything)

... with the sweet, sweet new helmet!

4114321684_009c9c0808.jpg

Enjoy the side and rear views ... sans tanks for ease of viewing.

4114321824_af6264030a.jpg

4114322026_5f96d88d84.jpg

Also, we obtain a certain Squidtron. As my daughter says, "He's bad to the bone!"

4113551729_f0b8dbfdcb.jpg

4114320566_53a3c56b0f.jpg

4113552125_241f6c8949.jpg

Squidtron eyes some choice parts ...

4113553653_0f4ac99368.jpg

Now that the minifig closeups are done, we start the build. There is an ATM machine with some strange irregularities and an awesome look once the stickers are applied (see the box shots), and a tow truck that was likely inspired by a certain bank security video ...

As we start the ATM, the older builders will experience a 1980-ish classic space flashback!

4113604979_8b033a26fd.jpg

Once built, the ATM has a rear door that opens so one can easily shovel the cash out.

4113554241_e85d09894e.jpg

The initial frame build of the tow truck shows an interesting mechanic ... these technic parts eventually become the way to fire the missiles that will be located in the front grille.

4114324456_4a676d7fe1.jpg

One of the least impressive parts of the set is the bottom. Luckily, I don't look at my models from the underside all that much. Do you?

4114324652_247f500f99.jpg

The build progresses ...

4113556105_093b7971ba.jpg

4113556523_66dcfbf600.jpg

4114325656_e35905d03f.jpg

4114326026_dd956a5804.jpg

... and finally finishes. Our cool SpaceCop with NewHelmet tries to grab the ATM machine.

4113558257_5460ec1635.jpg

(only he can't tell it is an ATM machine as there are no stickers applied!)

4113558065_0b44d57f9b.jpg

4114326790_c82edc48ee.jpg

The Leftovers:

4113557695_4f48b54128.jpg

My thoughts:

• Don't buy this set for the purple parts, there aren't enough.
  • Squidtron is cool, but no cape makes me a bit sad ...
  • The new helmet is 100% awesome and a spare trans-red visor is excellent!
  • I love the overall look, the tow truck crane arm makes the vehicle look solid when it isn't carrying the ATM machine about.
  • I may have to buy a 2nd set sometime late in the year so I can face putting the stickers on one ... they are dang cool.
  • I like this set MUCH more than the Gold Heist set, although the GH alien was awesome as he was unique.

I hope you enjoyed the review!

[small edits for clarity]

Edited by Ja7on

Nice entrance Ja7on! :grin: Welcome to Eurobricks!

I'm really liking this set! Purple, another Squid, thrusters... what more could I want! Thanks for the review. :sweet:

Nice review, after seeing this, it makes me want to go and buy this set.... If only it was available in the Netherlands... :cry_sad:

This set really has an excellent design. It looks punk!

Throw those stickers on! (but that's my opinion)

Nice entrance Ja7on! :grin: Welcome to Eurobricks!

I'm really liking this set! Purple, another Squid, thrusters... what more could I want! Thanks for the review. :sweet:

Thank you, Siegfried! I was learning some tricks on photos as I went ... I expect future shots to be a bit better quality. I am just glad I was able to finally give a bit back after months of lurking. :grin:

Nice review Ja7on and welcome to Eurobricks!

It looks like a cool little set with great parts. The purple bricks looks nice.

Great review Ja7on.

Looks like a set I would buy if I'd find it for sale. Like you said, not really that much purple but I find the set otherwise really cool.

Welcome to Eurobricks, and thank you for making this interesting review for us!

I definatly like these new Space police sets and will buy some when they become available in my region (adds them to 'the' list :sweet: ).

Thanks for the review Ja7on! Love the look of this set, nice to see we get money in the Intergalactic ATM, which is conveniently like human money :laugh:

Great figs here, hopefully we get new alien molds later but I love that we see a little diversity in Squidman's race. The new helmet is fantastic too, I love it.

As for the vehicle, I quite like it, it has a nice sturdy looking construction, but I agree there isn't nearly enough purple. I'll probably get this, but it will totally be on sale.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

OH MY GOD! Did I just spot what I think I did? 1x3 TILES?! Oh man, I gotta find a Bricklink dealer! Hehe, great review!

They are also in the new SW Freeco Speeder set.

Nice review, some pics are a bit dark, overall a good review.

Thanks for providing a review so quickly after this set went on sale it's always nice to have a look at a new set nice and early. I like the set and I will certainly add it to my colection, though I agree with you a cape wouldn't be to much to ask of the designers.

Great review Ja7on, and welcome to EB! I agree that Squidtron really needs a cape (a purple cape, how awesome would that have been?), and the new helmet is indeed very cool. While this set doesn't have as much purple as I'd hoped, it's still very appealing. :sweet:

Nice Review !!

Just one comment .... Are you sure you didn't miss the placement of the 1x2 slope? Thats unusual to have a "real" brick as an extra. At least from my experience, when I have a part other than a 1x1 round, lever, 1x1 slope, etc leftover, when I look back over the intructions, I usually find that I missed that part.

Just someting you may want to check. Otherwise thanks for sharing your thoughts and fine pictures.

ktb

Edited by ktbflyfish

Nice Review !!

Just one comment .... Are you sure you didn't miss the placement of the 1x2 slope? Thats unusual to have a "real" brick as an extra. At least from my experience, when I have a part other than a 1x1 round, lever, 1x1 slope, etc leftover, when I look back over the intructions, I usually find that I missed that part.

Just someting you may want to check. Otherwise thanks for sharing your thoughts and fine pictures.

ktb

I will admit I was rushing the build and focusing more on trying to get decent photos (I was learning as I went, hence the flash reflections on some shots and the like .. I was playing with my point & shoot camera until I found the 'food' mode), but I checked twice ... the ATM is irregular and just doesn't use the 3rd 1x2 slope. If you hit my flickr stream and look at the full-sized parts list you can see it lists 2x and I definitely have 3 of them. :sweet:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone ... I sense I'll be applying the stickers soon, at least the flames and the ATM stickers!

If nobody has posted a review of the other two sets I grabbed (Raid VPR and Monster Crab Clash), by the time I get back from work, I'll try to get them posted. Happy building and good luck finding the sets early!

Nice review, Ja7on!

Did anyone notice the colour issue on the big technic side panel? It's not the same purple as the other bricks. :angry::cry_sad:

I have to agree to your opinion about the officers outfit - well done. I want to see more of them.

For the other parts: Meh. :hmpf_bad: I don't like those big engine parts and the side panels.

Automatic money saver ON.

Smash 'n' Grab...an interesting name. It's funny that we're just talking about how set names have been so homogenous recently, and they come out with something so unique.

I wonder who's doing the smashing and grabbing here.

What'd really take the cake would be a separate set that's the bank that the ATM came from.

wow thanks for the review and I have to agree. This is a great set, the price isn't too bad as well. I actually love the purple look, haha.

Awesome review! I like this set more now, but I am kinda disappointed that there aren't a lot of purple pieces :sceptic:

I'm so getting this sets, not only for the purple parts, another squiddie, but also because there are 1x3 tiles!!!!! Woot!

Good review first of all! I like the new squid head and love the new halmet :cry_happy: ! The new head and colors are neat too. I have a few of the older space police sets and i think ill add these to my collection!

Enjoy the side and rear views ... sans tanks for ease of viewing.

Sweet! great review, but did you do it with or sans a final check to make sure that it's all English :tongue:

bbut in all(or atleast some) seriusness, great review!

Ps; are you Frenchspeaking or did you just put that there for fun? I'm obsesing over it because I love French)

Great figs here, hopefully we get new alien molds later but I love that we see a little diversity in Squidman's race.

My thoughts precicely

same goes for Rachet and Kranxx

I forgot to say great review. :tongue:

But seriously though, could you take a pic of that page to the right of the parts inventory in the instructions. It's shows the one new set we know about, does it show any of the other SP sets?