Sign in to follow this  
KimT

The end of Bionicle by 2010?

This is great news! Now LEGO can spend its resources on better themes. I wonder what will replace bionicle, hopefully something that will be a little more compatible with regular system LEGO.

BIONICLE is as compatible with system pieces as the one using the pieces wants them to be. Honestly.

This is great news! Now LEGO can spend its resources on better themes. I wonder what will replace bionicle, hopefully something that will be a little more compatible with regular system LEGO.

Bionicle is only topped by Star Wars IMO. And Bionicle is easily compatible with regular Lego when you know how.

Beginning in summer 2010, The LEGO Group will debut a new, more flexible buildable figure property created by the same people who brought you BIONICLE. At the same time, we are also expanding the category to appeal to a younger audience through an established third-party property, starting in January.

I imply that from this statement that Ben 10 is meant to be marketed at the younger end of LEGO's targets audience. I am hoping that this means they'll be making sets aimed at kids somewhat older or in the similar range that Bionicle was in. And besides...Ben 10 will only be a one or two year thing, the sets are based off the show (which according to my five minutes of research) has a limited amount of characters thus a limited amount of sets, opposite of how Bionicle's sets were not dependent on some story.

I'm depressed and elated at the same time. It's great that I'll start having money now...but what am I going to spend it on?

Other Lego, or to fulfill your nostalgia for Bionicle. :laugh:

I'm depressed and elated at the same time. It's great that I'll start having money now...but what am I going to spend it on?

... the replacement line?

When they first came out, I was 7 or 8 years old. They where what really got me interested in Lego. After they began to go down hill,( the visorak started the decent, then the Toa Inika sealed it for me) I bought the FANTASTICALLY better lego star wars TIE Bomber. From then on, I was a hardcore Lego Star Wars fanatic, and my interest in BIONICLE died.

Am I happy about the death of BIONICLE? Well, kind of. On one hand, we say goodbye to flashy swords and crap launchers. On the other hand, the line replacing BIONICLE is Ben 10 .

If Lego had just stuck with the style of the beginning sets (tahu,Kopaka, etc.), the line would have thrived more, and I would still be a fan. Farewell, BIONICLE, farewell. :sadnew:

I do not like Bionicle one bit, but it is a bit saddening to see it go.

Hopefully the replacement theme will be similar to Bionicle but better. :classic:

On the other hand, the line replacing BIONICLE is Ben 10 .
No, it isn't. LEGO Ben 10 is a first wave release.

As messed up as BIONICLE had recently become, I'm disappointed that it had to go now. The Bara Magna story really seemed promising and returned BIONICLE vaguely to it's roots. (Sets that actually looked like their element, etc.) But I guess it just wasn't raking in enough money for LEGO.

The Stars, as awesome as they are, are a really disappointing way to end the line, though . . .

I am not disappointed with this announcement at all. Bionicle really has gotten mundane, repetitive, and insipid. The movies all sucked and the sets have gotten so predictable. In 2001, the story was unique and compelling, but each following release has just brought that innovation closer and closer to the generic crap most toy companies produce.

No telling if the 2010 figures will be as good as the roots of Bionicle 2001, but even if they aren't, at least they'll be NEW. Seriously people. Your beloved LEGO property needs to die one way or another. At least let it die with some dignity and embrace the next (and far overdue) LEGO innovation. Like the letter said, it's that kind of thinking that BROUGHT you Bionicle.

Took a break from Eurobricks a month or two ago, but I thought it would be apropriate to at least post in this topic before returning to my absence. Needless to say, I am both sad and happy about this decision, although it didn't really come as a surprise. I've been a fan of the line since 2004, and I've enjoyed the line enough that I own nearly a hundered sets and have memorized the vast majority of the storyline. I own nearly every novel and guide, have played most of the video games, and have spent countless hours on Bzpower and Eurobricks dicussing (and ocasionally passionately arguing about) one of my favorite Lego themes ever. So, it's rather disapointing to me that the line is finally ending, but also a relief that the storyline is being continued, as that part will always remain my favorite thing about Bionicle. :classic:

Regardless, I'm glad that TLC has kept the line alive for this long, considering that none of the other themes introduced in the Dark ages have stuck around for long. That alone deserves my gratitude, espeically considering that it was originally intended to be just a one year line.

I am not disappointed with this announcement at all. Bionicle really has gotten mundane, repetitive, and insipid. The movies all sucked and the sets have gotten so predictable. In 2001, the story was unique and compelling, but each following release has just brought that innovation closer and closer to the generic crap most toy companies produce.

No telling if the 2010 figures will be as good as the roots of Bionicle 2001, but even if they aren't, at least they'll be NEW. Seriously people. Your beloved LEGO property needs to die one way or another. At least let it die with some dignity and embrace the next (and far overdue) LEGO innovation. Like the letter said, it's that kind of thinking that BROUGHT you Bionicle.

One way or another, Algernon, you have to face the fact that a lot of people have liked Bionicle through and through, from the very begining to what is now the end. The 2001-is-god position may be somewhat popular among older fans of Bionicle, but there's also many people who have enjoyed the other years just as much as the first. In particular, Bara Magna was for the most part a breath of fresh air for both those who loved previous storylines and those who wanted change, which makes it all the more sad that a whole year of storyline was cut. Many of us would have loved to see 2010 devoted entirely to Mata Nui's journey to to the Valley of the Maze, especially if it meant that the Element lords had a bigger role, better defined personalities, and perhaps sets as well. :sceptic:

Edited by Grevious

One way or another, Algernon, you have to face the fact that a lot of people have liked Bionicle through and through, from the very begining to what is now the end. The 2001-is-god position may be somewhat popular among older fans of Bionicle, but there's also many people who have enjoyed the other years just as much as the first. In particular, Bara Magna was for the most part a breath of fresh air for both those who loved previous storylines and those who wanted change, which makes it all the more sad that a whole year of storyline was cut. Many of us would have loved to see 2010 devoted entirely to Mata Nui's journey to to the Valley of the Maze, especially if it meant that the Element lords had a bigger role, better defined personalities, and perhaps sets as well. :sceptic:

Plenty of people enjoy Hannah Montana. That doesn't make it good.

Might be a slightly unfair comparison, but you get the idea.

Obviously the later Bionicle years were successful with many fans; after all, LEGO never complained about sales, did they? But that's kind of why I didn't like them. Bionicle has been inching closer and closer to a generic toy line with each coming year... and by definition, generic tends to be more marketable. In my opinion LEGO ruined it when they tried to explain everything and tie it all together- the story is SO fractured and needlessly complicated that loose ends are inevitable. But perhaps more importantly, the sense if mystery is lost. In 2001, you were thrust into this strange biotic island full of monsters and populated by robots. There was a somewhat vague backstory that was always expressed with stones- you didn't know exactly what Mata-Nui and Makuta looked like, but that was why they added so much atmosphere to the premise. Now we know exactly what they look like... and frankly, seeing them transformed from enigmatic demi-gods into generic action figures is a huge blow to Bionicle's largest appeal (in my opinion). The sense of suspense, mystery, and adventure is completely lost.

And honestly. The story is terrible. I don't care about any of these characters. Mata-Nui has no personality. In fact, ALL of the personalities are generic to the last degree. How many islands have there been now? There's no unifying, cohesive theme here. It's poorly written. Yes, it's an action figure line, and I could care less about the story- but some of you seem to adore the story, and that baffles me.

You're probably going to hit me with the old "that's your opinion" comeback. Yes, this is just my opinion. But I'm explaining why I'm not sad that Bionicle is finally getting the axe in favor of something new and refreshing. The reasons why I loved Bionicle have been completely neutralized by the new sets, but there's still hope in LEGO's next innovation.

Guys, the only reason I got into Bionicle was because the figures looked cool.

I couldn't give a shit less about the story at that time, and I still don't think I do.

Obviously the later Bionicle years were successful with many fans; after all, LEGO never complained about sales, did they? But that's kind of why I didn't like them. Bionicle has been inching closer and closer to a generic toy line with each coming year... and by definition, generic tends to be more marketable. In my opinion LEGO ruined it when they tried to explain everything and tie it all together- the story is SO fractured and needlessly complicated that loose ends are inevitable. But perhaps more importantly, the sense if mystery is lost. In 2001, you were thrust into this strange biotic island full of monsters and populated by robots. There was a somewhat vague backstory that was always expressed with stones- you didn't know exactly what Mata-Nui and Makuta looked like, but that was why they added so much atmosphere to the premise. Now we know exactly what they look like... and frankly, seeing them transformed from enigmatic demi-gods into generic action figures is a huge blow to Bionicle's largest appeal (in my opinion). The sense of suspense, mystery, and adventure is completely lost.

And honestly. The story is terrible. I don't care about any of these characters. Mata-Nui has no personality. In fact, ALL of the personalities are generic to the last degree. How many islands have there been now? There's no unifying, cohesive theme here. It's poorly written. Yes, it's an action figure line, and I could care less about the story- but some of you seem to adore the story, and that baffles me.

You're probably going to hit me with the old "that's your opinion" comeback. Yes, this is just my opinion. But I'm explaining why I'm not sad that Bionicle is finally getting the axe in favor of something new and refreshing. The reasons why I loved Bionicle have been completely neutralized by the new sets, but there's still hope in LEGO's next innovation.

So let me get this straight, you like 2001 because the story was generic, leaving some mystery, and you haven't liked it since then because it's too generic.

That makes SENSE! :hmpf:

So let me get this straight, you like 2001 because the story was generic, leaving some mystery, and you haven't liked it since then because it's too generic.

...I don't remember saying that.

He says that Bionicle has become more generic ever since it started. Wasn't generic when it began, but as time prgressed, Bionicle sets themselves were too predictable or same. (inika torso for example)

And getting the same thing every year can be boring.

At least that what I think Alg said.

-Omi

He says that Bionicle has become more generic ever since it started. Wasn't generic when it began, but as time prgressed, Bionicle sets themselves were too predictable or same. (inika torso for example)

And getting the same thing every year can be boring.

At least that what I think Alg said.

-Omi

More or less, yes.

It wasn't all bad, though. In exchange for longer use of the Inika torso, we got non-clone sets.

Edited by Vezon

Not just slightly unfair, extremely so, as Bionicle has absolutely nothing in common with Hannah Montana. And seriously, did you really expect that Mata Nui and Makuta's apperance would always be secret? It's been ten years now, and it took eight before we even knew what Mata Nui looked like. If you're arguing that Mata Nui should have never been revealed in full, then you're basically arguing that Bionicle should have never been resolved, as Mata Nui's appearance and purpose were basically the biggest mysteries of the entire storyline. Not exactly the ending the vast majority would have wanted, Alg, and I honestly feel that would have been horrible. Especially since that would have meant no Mata Nui set, something that most of us wanted. And really, I don't see how a gigantic tiki statue that contains an entire universe and is extremely inteligent and benevolent is anything less epic or true to Bionicle than a mysterious force that we know barely anything about. :sceptic:

Besides, your point is moot, as it was set in stone since 2001 that Mata Nui's reveal would be the big climax, whether at the end of 2001 or later. It was also always set in stone that he would be a 40 million feet tall robot that contained an entire universe. So, if Bionicle had lasted only one year, you would have also been immensely disapointed.

Also, your comments about lots of islands and "no unifying theme" make absolutely no sense to me, considering that you really didn't explain them. If you're arguing that Bionicle would have been better if we had just stayed on Mata Nui for 10 years, then I really can't agree at all. More likely, that would have made Bionicle far more redundant than how you think it is today, as Greg and the story team would have struggled far more trying to explain how 20 waves of sets fit into the storyline of one island. Seriously Alg, the expansion of the Bionicle universe and the addition of new lands was only inevitable as the number of sets grew, and that to me has made it a lot more interesting than I would have found it if they continued to use the same six environments on Mata Nui for every single year of storyline.

And of course the reality that a lot of people like the current storyline is going to baffle you, as you hate it. Anytime someone hates something, it's often impossible for that person to fathom how another person can like it. Heck, that pretty much describes the viewpoint of some people who have hated Bionicle from day one, although certainly not people here. It's simply human nature that we have a hard time understanding different tastes, as the prevailing mindset is to beleive that our tastes our superior to others. I've struggled with this, as has everyone else who every has had an opinion about entertainment. It's just something that will never fully go away, as long as there are still things to argue over. :tongue:

That doesn't mean we have to let it get in the way of being polite and respectful however. Not saying that you haven't been both, but I'm also not saying that I've never witnessed rudeness when it comes to issues like this. Just read some of the comments on Brickset's announcement of Bionicle's cancelation... ugh. :sick:

But perhaps more importantly, the sense if mystery is lost. In 2001, you were thrust into this strange biotic island full of monsters and populated by robots. There was a somewhat vague backstory that was always expressed with stones- you didn't know exactly what Mata-Nui and Makuta looked like, but that was why they added so much atmosphere to the premise. Now we know exactly what they look like... and frankly, seeing them transformed from enigmatic demi-gods into generic action figures is a huge blow to Bionicle's largest appeal (in my opinion). The sense of suspense, mystery, and adventure is completely lost.

I don't think you quite get it. After three years on the same island, things are going to become stale and interest will eventually be lost because nothing has been explained. Are you saying that Bionicle should have taken place on the island of Mata-nui for almost ten whole years without anything being explained? If not, I'd sure like to hear what sort of idea that you yourself have come up with. A suggestion, anything.

As Grievous stated, this could use some more elaboration. Although I will have to agree that the Inika/Mahri had terrible characterization, I don't see how much of anyone else has this so called "generic" personality. I mean, the Piraka were just awesome in this department.

Edited by jala12

What made each of the Piraka unique, in terms of personality? They seem awfully similar to me.

Toa have generic personalities for sure; over half the time you could sub in another Toa in quotes and it would sound okay. =/\

Villains from 01-05 were parts of larger groups so there was no personality. 2007-8 had a fairly mixed traits, and personalities with the Makuta and Barraki which I liked. 2009 was Hive mind all over again.

And all opinions on whether whatever is "good" or "bad" or "like it" is all subjective.

I don't think Algernon is arguing to stay on Mata Nui for 10 years; that basically is the opposite since the mystery would be lost by then, am I right?

Keeping the mystery by adding things, yet not explaining them seems to be what he's arguing for; while since 2004 or so it's been adding things as a backstory; then resolving the minor conflicts in that year.

Bara Magna could have done well with that; a new world, no explanation, but we got all that resolved, a connection to the explained old world and mysteries all gone by the end of the year. =S

[-TA-]

While all were equally cruel, there were things that seperated the Piraka from each other. Zaktan was the most ambitious and mysterious of the group, not only being made up of microscopic lifeforms but always brooding in a self-enclosed chamber containing Makuta's conciousness. Hakann was a blunt character who was able to devise plans of his own (like stealing Brutaka's power). Thok was modest, but did like to show off his power from time to time such as when he made the tree and rock come to life to battle each other while talking to Garan. Vezok was a character who while smart, was not as bright or sharp as he could be due to being split apart by the spear of fusion. When near Vezon, his usual self-controlled self would break into total rage as he wants that annoying but nevertheless cunning part of himself back again. Avak was a paranoid kind of guy who was sneaky and able to craft the Piraka's numerous gadgets.

As for Reidak, well I guess he's one that doesn't have all that much personality but he's like a much smarter version of Krekka. Yeah, that's it. :P It certainly helps that the Piraka got one book completely devoted to developing their character.

Edited by jala12

While I agree that the mystery and suspense of it all was grand- it can't last. Eventually someone is going to love a character so much that they say, "I want to see what he really looks like!", etc. Besides, when 2003 rolled around and the first Bionicle movie was on the horizon, they needed something to wow fans- why not give the shadowy essence of Makuta physical form? And even then, it wasn't his real form- it was simply something intimidating he created to fight Takanuva. But, I digress.

The thing that happens with any series is closure. If we were left without seeing Makuta's favored form or why, exactly, Mata Nui's death would have been catastrophic to the Matoran Universe, would we have felt satisfied? No, because while one argues that the mysticism of the story would have been held intact, the entire 2003-beyond storyline was about getting answers and understanding the secrets. And even then, have we ever understood the Red Star? The Organic Masks? Artahka?

I don't know where I'm going with this. Good night!