So my point is, why sell to the US? If LEGO stopped selling sets in the US then they would have to downsize but it would mean that they would be able to sell LEGO more cheaply to European and Asian/Australasian countries. Of course this wouldn't make LEGO fans in the US happy, but I just thought I'd put the idea out there to see what people think :tongue:

Yeah, no. North America's probably just about the largest market share of LEGO in the world by a huge amount, we're going to have 2 LEGO theme parks in the future, have more than 4 times the amount of official stores than the rest of the world... etc. LEGO loves North America.

So your idea is to sell cheap to the rest of the world (that's minus profit compared to right now) and a substantial major loss in the US market (minus massive profit)

I mean, did you even think this through? :hmpf:

Edited by wooootles

I've had a really radical idea about LEGO's pricing in the US, although given I don't know a lot about economics it may be flawed.

[...]

So my point is, why sell to the US? If LEGO stopped selling sets in the US then they would have to downsize but it would mean that they would be able to sell LEGO more cheaply to European and Asian/Australasian countries. Of course this wouldn't make LEGO fans in the US happy, but I just thought I'd put the idea out there to see what people think :tongue:

There's a thing called economies of scale you might overlook. I trust TLG to make sound business decisions. Not everyone will be happy with those decisions (I'd prefer my Lego to be free ideally) but that's how markets function. Only one thing you can do: vote with your feet. I certainly am not going to do that, because I enjoy my Lego, even at 'European prices'.

But - imho - this thread shouldn't be about pricing differences between markets, but about the Grand Emporium set itself.

Not everyone will be happy with those decisions (I'd prefer my Lego to be free ideally) but that's how markets function. Only one thing you can do: vote with your feet. I certainly am not going to do that, because I enjoy my Lego, even at 'European prices'.

But - imho - this thread shouldn't be about pricing differences between markets, but about the Grand Emporium set itself.

And while I quite agree that the sets are expensive, they're much better than the City Corner style sets. But Modulars and City sets are two different things altogether - one aimed at Kids, the other TFOLs/AFOLs, and priced/contented (i.e. what's in them) accordingly. Now, can we give it a rest?

I'd like the next Modular to be 'modular' in how you buy them - £100 a lot of money to spend all at once. Plus theyre's the box size...

Here more news via Brickset

Official release March 1st. :thumbup:

10211 – Grand Emporium, Ages 16+. 2,182 pieces, US $149.99 CA $199.99 UK £ 139.99 DE € 149.99

Welcome to the grand opening of the Grand Emporium!

The LEGO® Modular Buildings series continues with this spectacularly detailed 3-story department store, designed in a realistic scale with lots of special building techniques and rare pieces. On the street outside, citizens carry shopping bags, send letters at the mailbox, admire the window mannequins, and cool off at the ice cream stand while a busy window washer works above. Enter through the revolving door to discover a ground-floor clothing department, complete with a cash register, fitting room, hats, jewelry, perfume, and even a selection of spare trousers. A brick-built escalator carries customers to the second floor housewares department with glassware and golden plates for special occasions, and then it’s up to the top floor for the toy department (complete with toy house and push-scooter) and a great big chandelier above the open atrium. Up on the roof are a billboard and skylight. Includes 7 minifigures and measures 15" (38 cm) high and 10" (25 cm) wide. Ages 16+. 2,182 pieces.

Includes 7 minifigures: 1 window cleaner, 1 female shop assistant, 1 genetleman and 1 lady with shopping bags, 1 boy plus 1 male and 1 female mannequin!

Enter the Grand Emporium through a revolving door that really spins!

The first floor has a clothing department with cash register, fitting room, hats, jewelery, perfume and more!

The second floor has a housewares department with glassware and golden plates!

Take the amazing brick-built escalator to the top floor of these 3-story department store!

The top floor is a toy department complete with toy house and push-scooter!

Grand Emporium features a big chandelier above the open atrium and even a skylight!

Lots of realistic details with a rooftop billboard and shoppers with shopping bags!

Raise and lower the window washer outside the building!

Send letters at the mailbox outside the Grand Emporium!

Admire the window mannequins from the street and stop at the ice cream stand for a treat!

Includes new inverted arches and rare elements like transparent 1x1 ‘headlight bricks’ and dark green windows!

Combine with other modular buildings like 10197 Fire Brigade and 10185 Green Grocer!

Measures 15" (38 cm) high and 10" (25 cm) wide!

And more official pictures:

5-10211.jpg6-10211.jpg7-10211.jpg9-10211.jpg

8-10211.jpg

e-10211.jpgf-10211.jpg

g-10211.jpg

Zoom Warning ! 2560x1947

d-10211.jpg

Zoom Warning ! 1835x3576

a-10211.jpg

Zoom Warning ! 3608x2706

b-10211.jpg

Zoom Warning ! 3480x2382

c-10211.jpg

Zoom Warning ! 3280x2149

(If a moderator reads this; please update front page!)

Edited by grogall

Awesome pics! Thanks...

The 1st-floor escalator is a bit awkward, needing two brick heights to jump it up the right height.

First floor ain't got nothing on GG in terms of detail. Heck it's only slightly better than Cafe Corner's nothing interior.

So yeah, this is probably the 2nd best Modular overall, with IMO the best looking building design.

And oh yeah, $150 USD is just ice.

Edited by wooootles

a-10211.jpg

Haha best official TLC picture ever! :laugh: Lego has been getting risque with their boxart images...remember the creepy bearded toymaker making out with the chick on the back of the Winter Toy Shop box? :laugh:

Thanks for sharing this info, I cannot wait to place an order once it goes on S@H, I've been looking forward to this set since we first heard about it! :thumbup:

-darthperson

Edited by darthperson

All the Minifigs have the classic look face! That's Great!!!

All the modulars have that (except for Market Street, but that doesn't officially belong to the series) :classic:

f-10211.jpg

I love this very much! And, it reminds me of some fond memories which I "enjoyed" inside Eurobricks. :blush:

Thanks grogall, first post has been updated. :thumbup:

Yesterday the shop where I use to buy Lego (Italy) told me the price of the GE: 170€

He show me the price list: 99€ is his price, + Tax (20% for italy) + his gain = 170€ except special promotions

:cry_sad:

you should be happy with the price.

the only store in Greece that has lego exclusives is selling GG for 250 euro!!! thats 100 more than whats it worth

so if GE costs 150 then i would be happy to pay 170! its just 20 euro more.

From the close up images of the interior I can see that this is meant to be MODed - plenty of space to add more stock among other things like to go down not just to go up ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

you should be happy with the price.

the only store in Greece that has lego exclusives is selling GG for 250 euro!!! thats 100 more than whats it worth

so if GE costs 150 then i would be happy to pay 170! its just 20 euro more.

:hmpf_bad:

So true...

I just hope that the price on this gem won't be too high. I too agree that €170 seems good for Greece's standards. Do we know if "Hutman" ( :wink: ) has already brought it or when it will come?

And, it reminds me of some fond memories which I "enjoyed" inside Eurobricks. :blush:

Hello Mr. Inspector. :wink:

I can still remember almost all titles at the time I joined EB because I didn't know what those really were and I was confused. :grin:

well usually Greece gets the set about 6 months or even a year after the set is released.

at least thats what happened when i first got CC.

but the toy shop in Greece that has exclusives has the FB for 150 euro! (thank god)

OK I happen to go by the Lego Store at Down Town Disney this weekend and I spoke with a few employees there that told me to expect the Emporium on the third of March. So US. AFOL you might want to go see about getting it on Wednesday. I’m hoping I got the truth about this but who knows.

Just my two cents here don’t go crazy if I’m wrong.

OK I happen to go by the Lego Store at Down Town Disney this weekend and I spoke with a few employees there that told me to expect the Emporium on the third of March. So US. AFOL you might want to go see about getting it on Wednesday. I’m hoping I got the truth about this but who knows.

Lego has officially said that it will be released tomorrow, March 1st.

Just quickly checked Lego S@H - it is NOW AVAILABLE is the U.S. for $ 149.99 USD, in the U.K. for 139.99 GBP, in Germany for 149.99 EUR - but for those of us living in Australia, New Zealand or even Canada we must wait till they say so ?! :sceptic:

I guess if you are a Canadian living near the U.S./Canadian border you might have chance of crossing over and getting one for a Lego store in the U.S. ! :grin:

Available now... they better have a fat initial stock, because I'm not buying mine just yet... And my first one may even be just for parts...

'OH, YEAH !' Chef Mundal (Chowder) :laugh:

Download complete - instructions on my harddrive - planning MOC to go as a MOD !

WTF?

Most older department store had a basement, usually for ironmongery (tools, hardware, pots and pans) so I thought only today in designing a MOC basement that could go with 10211 (of course a different base plate arrangement would be required but hey why not ? It's Lego ! :laugh:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/grogall/...10182-10185.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/grogall/...ilding_2010.jpg

Yep, The instructions are now available

Edited by Svelte
2000+ wide images un-deeplinked

Nice that the instructions are available...

Set still is not available in the Netherlands :sceptic: