Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

What Books do you like?

Yes, I am aware there is a "What Are You Reading?" thread, however that isn't really the place to spend time discussing the books you love, the books that influence you, the books you can never be without and the stalwart favourites that entertain you again and again.

As per my other media topics: Please post about your favourite books. It can be a list, a brief synopsis or an opinion, why you like it and anything else you think would be pertinent. Please no bashing, flaming or trolling each other. We all have likes and dislikes that extend to books, but we are all different. You can venture an opinion if it is civil (but not kindling for a flame war). Please no deep discussions on religion, politics or war. They are subjects of books and books are the basis for at least one of them, however this subject always seems to cause unpleasantness and hurt feelings. You can mention you like a religious/political book, or that it has affected you greatly but try not to set it up as so much dry wood and anyone else who sees it, don't light the flames, remember we are adults and everyone is allowed an opinion so long as they don't force it on others.

Now that the ground rules have been laid...

I adore the Discworld books, I have favourites but I like them all greatly. The satire in the series and the characters are very entertaining.

The Jurisfiction and Nursery Crime books by Jasper FFord are also fantastic, they expertly lampoon literature tropes and give the classics a good kicking for the fun of it.

Heinlein is one of my favourite writers and I read any of those. Hard Science and good characterisation.

Garth Nix's Old Kingdom trilogy and short story are great YA fantasy novels with a richly detailed world and likeable characters. I can't wait for the next two he predicted to be ready next year and the year after.

Kenneth Opple is another favourite, I adore his Airship books, Airborn, Skybreaker and Starclimber (which I have yet to read apart from the promo first chapter, but is on its way from Canada to me).

Dianna Wynn Jones is also another author who appeals to me even though the books are aimed at children. I just love her characters and the dialogue.

So. What do you guys like?

I am the Messenger Marcus Zusak [sp?] comes to mind, I found it pretty compelling. It's a mystery of sorts, but I recommend people to pick it up.

The Midnighters Trilogy is very well written. Same Author as the "Pretties" Series. It's a pretty neat story, and since it's 3 normal novels, it's pretty short.

The Alchemyst is the first book in a Nicholas Flamel series [And where my name derives from], and while it's been some time, so I don't remember the plot and all, it was a thrilling book seeing I changed my username for it.

Neil Schusterman, is a great Author, his one-shot books have been really great.

Stephen King's books are all a favorite of mine, from his less known Timeline [Love it, read it now] to stuff like Jurassic Park, he's great.

-Looks at Bookshelf-

The Divide Trilogy! Elizabeth Kay wrote them [Yet to read the third], but it brings a very interesting Fantasy World like no other, and it gets deeper in the second book. A good YA read.

Vivian Van de Velde. She's a wonderful storyteller, ranging from short stories to Good sized, one-day novels. Mostly deal with a Fantasy of sorts, or magic. Heir Apparent is a great way to start her off.

I have to admit, I'm a fan of the 39 Clues. Short books, easily a 1-2 hour read each, but it has the Amazing Race Treasure Hunt feel. I just read them from the library, but the books are really nice.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Oh my, what a great twist on Greek Mythology. The characters that appear one by one are always so interesting to see [especially if you know your Greek Mythology], Highly recommended.

I'll post more as they come to mind.

[-TA-]

My husband and I (said in a very Queen-like manner) are both into Sci-fi/Fantasy. We both dig the classic writers, such as Clark, Asimov, Adams, etc. Robert Heinlein is good, if a little too obsessed with sex at times. Greg Bear is also very good. I think Stephen Donaldson is completely brilliant, although his work can sometimes be uncomfortable to read. It's really odd, I could tolerate the coarseness and brutality of the Gap series, yet I didn't make past the second chapter of White Gold Bearer. Lately I've become completely obsessed with manga. It all started on my birthday, when in sheer desperation I chose the Part 1 DVD set of Ouran High Host Club. It came bundled with Vol 1 of the manga of the same name. I read the volume and fell in love, and in short time scoured the net for more. Bisco Hatori, the author of Ouran High Host Club, has a real knack for developing compelling characters. Unfortunately, I've run out of volumes to read (Vol 14 comes out in September...so far away...groan), so if anyone has any other manga they recommend, by all means lay it on me. I'm thinking of giving Deathnote a try... :grin:

I read Cussler, Clark, and some manga(Bleach, Naruto, a few others)

My husband and I (said in a very Queen-like manner) are both into Sci-fi/Fantasy. We both dig the classic writers, such as Clark, Asimov, Adams, etc. Robert Heinlein is good, if a little too obsessed with sex at times. Greg Bear is also very good. I think Stephen Donaldson is completely brilliant, although his work can sometimes be uncomfortable to read. It's really odd, I could tolerate the coarseness and brutality of the Gap series, yet I didn't make past the second chapter of White Gold Bearer. Lately I've become completely obsessed with manga. It all started on my birthday, when in sheer desperation I chose the Part 1 DVD set of Ouran High Host Club. It came bundled with Vol 1 of the manga of the same name. I read the volume and fell in love, and in short time scoured the net for more. Bisco Hatori, the author of Ouran High Host Club, has a real knack for developing compelling characters. Unfortunately, I've run out of volumes to read (Vol 14 comes out in September...so far away...groan), so if anyone has any other manga they recommend, by all means lay it on me. I'm thinking of giving Deathnote a try... :grin:

You can read Vol. 14 at www.onemanga.comthat's where I get my manga fix

Kenneth Opple is another favourite, I adore his Airship books, Airborn, Skybreaker and Starclimber (which I have yet to read apart from the promo first chapter, but is on its way from Canada to me).

I just read those last week. I love Airborn, Skybreaker is also good (though never as good as the original) and Starclimber I'm a little unsure about. I just don't think that going into space works so well for this series. PLus, most of the book is taken up by building up to the take-off. Also, the creatures aren't quite as believable or as in-depth as in the previous two. But, I'll let you decide. :wink:

I'm also in the middle of re-reading everything in Brian Jacques' Redwall series. I haven't read those since sixth grade, but I enjoy them now just as much as I did then. I also got to catch up and understand some of the history behind the names. (I.E. Methuselah, Asmodeus, Cluny, etc...) and also some of the Latin names of the animals. (Gulo Gulo is the Latin name for Wolverine, which is a pretty great name for Gulo the Savage. :grin: )

I've also been reading Karen Traviss books. Her Star Wars Republic Commando novels are great, but I've only read bits of her other books.

I am actually reading through the star wars books. Not the 6 movies but all the books written by independent authors. They are really good, and there is even a timeline so you know which books to read. I am going to stop after the one I'm on to read a bio about Barrack Obama.

My husband and I (said in a very Queen-like manner) are both into Sci-fi/Fantasy.

Indeed we are my Queen! :tongue: In fact (said in an equally haughty tone) I don't know anyone who has a book collection rivaling mine. (Yes, mine not ours. :devil: ) I'll have to post photos one time...

I used to be a heavy reader of all Sci-Fi and Fantasy... but I think I read too much while in the Navy as all the newer stuff seems too similar these days. Some books have stood out though. Like the woman I've read (several times) the Stephen Donaldson Gap series (highly recommended) and it was the most refreshing of the genre I've read for a while. However it's more of a story set in space rather than a true Sci-Fi. Same story with the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch... although it falls into similar patterns and becomes tiresome after the first few.

I haven't read much fantasy for a while. The last author I read was Eddings... and I think it's scarred me. I was stuck on a (very boring) base for two weeks and I read his Belgariad and Malloreon series during that time, and I was so enthused that I read the Elenium and Tamuli series straight after. I then paused to think about them... and I realised how similar the two stories were! But I used to read a lot of fantasy. My favourite is an obscure book called Tark and the Golden Tide by Colum MacConnell. It's a quite stunning book... even though I've heard that it's a rip off of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. (Which I've never read.) While it's only a short book, it has enough story to make several and it has a way of describing things just enough that keeps the story moving.

I'll have to look over books and post some more later... as well as look into a few of the suggestions here! :sweet:

In fact (said in an equally haughty tone) I don't know anyone who has a book collection rivaling mine. (Yes, mine not ours. :devil: ) I'll have to post photos one time...

O RLY, Monsieur Polar Bear Walrus?

I like books, especially fantasy... I :wub: fantasy.

Especially the Artemis Fowl books. I could read them again and again and again!

Edited by Striker

Well, I have to say that if you like the host club (not my cup of tea, I prefer the SF and Fantasy manga...) Paradise Kiss is a good series, all the books are out there somewhere and it isn't too huge a series.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, by Jules Laverne (Maybe?) was a really good book. I don't typically read that much, and if I do it is usually History oriented, but this was an exception.

I saw it on a shelf and thought to myself, "Hmmm, I wonder..." and then just picked it up and started reading, cutting off my train of thought.

The Odyssey was also really good.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, by Jules Laverne (Maybe?) was a really good book. I don't typically read that much, and if I do it is usually History oriented, but this was an exception.

I saw it on a shelf and thought to myself, "Hmmm, I wonder..." and then just picked it up and started reading, cutting off my train of thought.

The Odyssey was also really good.

Jules Verne (Doc Brown names his sons after then in BttF 3)

That is the most amazing book. It is the reason I read today.

When I was small, I was a very poor reader, I wrote backwards (the letters were formed as perfectly as any 4 year olds, but mirror imaged and from right to left...) and couldn't read a word. I hated it and it frustrated me so much. Well, one day at my Grancha's house (great grandfather) I saw a book with a gold submarine embossed on the cover and wanted a look. It was a magnificent illustrated copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and he said I could have it. From that point on I was determined to be able to read so I could read a book with such amazing pictures in. At age seven/eight reading clicked. At age 9 my teachers assessed me as having a reading age of 14... I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and I still treasure the copy I own.

*nostalgia*

Jules Verne made stunning books. He had an incredible vision of the future, one that was mostly correct. He was wrong on most of the details, but considering the time they were written it was hardly surprising. I've lost count how many times I've read his books. H.G. Wells is similar as well, especially with War of the Worlds.

Well, I have to say that if you like the host club (not my cup of tea, I prefer the SF and Fantasy manga...) Paradise Kiss is a good series, all the books are out there somewhere and it isn't too huge a series.

I've been surprised at her recent interest in trashy romance manga; perhaps after almost ten years of marriage she's realised I'm not romantic enough. :cry_sad:

O RLY, Monsieur Polar Bear Walrus?

:grin:

DSC02757sm.JPGDSC02759sm.JPG

This is about 80% of them. Not an incredible amount, it's more that people just don't buy and keep books much these days. :cry_sad:

My dream is to have the classic room lined with books...

I primarily read scifi and fantasy books. Mainly books that are in a series. As an example, I have read 30 or so Star Wars books and 20 some odd Forgotten Realms books. I have read some of the Dragonlance books as well. Mainly the ones written by the series original 2 creators. For the most part, these books are okay. I wouldn't call them fantastic (a few stand out though) but I enjoy reading them as I enjoy the settings and the writing isn't painful to read. I've also branched out into other more well known books on occasion. A few of those stand out.

Dune-Easily the best scifi book I have ever read. It's movie incarnations do not do it justice. I have not read past the third book yet (a lot of people seem to think Herbert's writing goes downhill after the third book and I became interested in other books) but I do plan on trying to Frank Herbert's books. After that, maybe I will consider his son's follow ups. Maybe.

American Gods-Neil Gaiman wrote this book. It is about belief, gods, and America. It features gods of several ancient pantheons as characters with one man caught up in their affairs. Overall I thought it was a good book. Definately a few "odd" parts that are not kid friendly. If you like mythology and ever wondered what the ancient gods would do if they lived as people in America, this is your book.

The Vampire Lestat/The Queen of the Damned-I read all but the end of The Queen of the Damned before watching the movie of the same name (didn't want the end ruined, in hind sight I had nothing to worry about). The movie isn't even close on these. It's first mistake was trying to condense 2 books into 1 movie. The characters and backstory in these books is considerable. I even somewhat pitied Akasha by the end. Also, mostly not for kids.

H.P. Lovecraft, assorted-His stories aren't the greatest and have numerous recurring themes (and they are definately a product of their times) but they do illustrate where certain ideas used by later horror writers likely originated. His stories primarily focus on abstract alien horrors that can crush people's fragile minds by their mere presence. The Illithids (Mind Flayers) of Dungeons and Dragons origins are very likely rooted in Lovecraft's ideas. The movie Alien vs Predator borrows a lot of it's theme and setting from At the Mountains of Madness which is one of his longer stories.

On the non fictional front I honestly don't read many books because most of them do not keep my interest. The one's I have read seem to repeat themselves, a lot. However, I have found a few I thought were interesting.

Wired for War-This book is all about the technology the US military currently employs and is actively developing. Robotic technology that is. It's an interesting look at where things stand and where they may be heading as well as the potential implications to warfare and society as a whole.

Uranium-This is all about the material that makes nuclear weapons possible. It covers it's discovery and origins as well as applications. It focuses mainly on the weapons aspect and the lengths the US and Soviets went to to aquire the metal to build their nuclear aresenals.

When I was small, I was a very poor reader, I wrote backwards (the letters were formed as perfectly as any 4 year olds, but mirror imaged and from right to left...) and couldn't read a word. I hated it and it frustrated me so much. Well, one day at my Grancha's house (great grandfather) I saw a book with a gold submarine embossed on the cover and wanted a look. It was a magnificent illustrated copy of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and he said I could have it. From that point on I was determined to be able to read so I could read a book with such amazing pictures in. At age seven/eight reading clicked. At age 9 my teachers assessed me as having a reading age of 14... I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and I still treasure the copy I own.

*nostalgia*

:laugh: Apart from the writing backwards, I was exactly the same. I read 20,000 Leagues at about the same age, but never read many of his novels apart from that. I even tried to read my dad's sailing novels... without much success.

As for Dune.... I got it as a birthday gift but never read it. I suppose I really need to try it.

Well, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea kicked of a love of SpecFic so I read Around the World in 80 Days and would read more if I can find volumes to match my illustrated tome.

I realised that I missed The Traction City books out of the list. Phillip Reeve wrote them and I first read them in the school library (where I hid at lunch), they are richly detailed and have an interesting premise and it is great fun to see the characters mis-interpret our stuff (Seedy = CD and is a "decorative medallion"). Funnily enough in one of the books there are brothers called Lego and Duplo.

I also loved Good Omens, I can't remember if I picked it up for either or both writers (it all depends if I had read The Sandman series by then or not... I can't recall). Very funny book.

I have lots and lots of books, but only one bookshelf, the rest are in a boxes in the loft. I am always adding to my collection as I love second hand books and if one catches my eye I will buy it. I think when I move out I will have at least two bookcases worth of books right away (with exponential increase).

As for manga and comics, I listed those in my What Comics do you Like thread :tongue:

I read Cussler, Clark, and some manga(Bleach, Naruto, a few others)

You can read Vol. 14 at www.onemanga.comthat's where I get my manga fix

Thank you very much for the tip Arthas!! I'll probably still order the volume, but at least now my waiting will be less painful...

They may be considered books for a younger audience, but I love the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. My friend introduced them to me years ago and I never tire of reading them over again (and that's saying a lot since I don't like to read normally). Aside from that I like mystery novels, especially the Hercule Poirot books from Agatha Christie. :classic:

*nostalgia*

I thought that's what his name was, but it's one of those things I never can accurately remember.

That's actually really interesting, though the version I read was printed in the 1970's and had no illustrations. It was rather saddenning when I reached the last page, because there was no more of the book left to read.

DSC02757sm.JPG
Please tell me that is not Kermit The Frog on top of the shelf. :tongue:

The books I read these days are all mathematical monographs. :tongue: I haven't read any fiction books in several years, although I liked Asimov's work (especially the Foundation series) and the Sherlock Holmes stories.

I am currently enjoying the Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss. I have yet to receive Order 66, but am looking forward to both that and 501st: an Imperial Commando Novel. I am very sad that the 2nd Imperial Commando novel will be her last SW book. :pir_bawling: (because of the clone wars storyline conflicting with her own)

Edited by Clone Commander Assassin

I am currently enjoying the Republic Commando novels by Karen Traviss. I have yet to receive Order 66, but am looking forward to both that and 501st: an Imperial Commando Novel. I am very sad that the 2nd Imperial Commando novel will be her last SW book. :pir_bawling: (because of the clone wars storyline conflicting with her own)

The Clone Wars cartoon screws over yet another talented person's life :thumbdown:

My all time favourite book would be the Dune serie (with a very high point being the fourth, the God-Emperor of Dune). That saga had it all, really. I then read all of the new ones by Frank herbert's Son but they don't come anywhere near as good as the original ones. They weren't bad, mind you, it's just that the source material was really really really too high to come close...

But even if those are my favourite saga, my favourinte writer is, and as far as I know will always remain, Terry Pratchett. His Discworld serie is hilarious and thought provoking and keeps getting better and better with every new book he's writing.

Then of course there is Tolkien's work (I'm surprised no one has mentionned him yet). his is quite an exctraordinary compmlete universe he has created (but I do agree with those who say he has quite a pedant writing style that might make it unappealing). I read all of it when I was crazy for it but nowadayw, when I try to re read them, I got bore pretty quickly and wonder how I managed to read them the first time :grin: ... (Except maybe for the Lord of the Rings, which I still enjoy from time to time).

As for casual read, there's of course all the Star Wars Novels (I've read pretty much all of those that happen after Episode 6) with a marked preference for the New Jedi Order serie which I actually actually find even better than the films.

Another serie that I have a soft spot for is Dragon Prince, by Melanie Rawn. For the little story, it had me quite frustrated at first : I recieved the first two volumes of the first trilogy in a very lovely french edition and I couldn't put them down before I finished them. Then I went looking for the third one and Bang! I learnt that the edition company had gone bankrupt and would never release it. Worst, they still retained the rights to any french translation so one would never come out... Luckily, a few years later I became very good in English and finally could read the end of the story in its original form...

Anyway, those books have some really fantastic character writing (so far, the best I've ever read, really). The writer goes really deep in their emotionnal states and thoughts while remaining coherent with them all throughout the serie. In the end you could really believe them real, it's incredible. I've never experienced somthing like that with another book.

And after reading the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics, I went on a Victorian era spree and read most of the classics from then. My best one so far is Frankenstein for its thought-provoking-ness. But Stoker's Dracula was quite nice too. Jules Verne, oddly enough, I didn't enjoy that much. I did like 20,000 leagues, but then I read "From the Earth to the Moon" and that one, I really didn't enjoy at all. most of the time, it's a bunch of people listing physics, chemistry or whatnot science recipes as to how to make something before shooting a big gun at the moon... And then they FAIL!!! all of that reading for nothing... that really put an end to my liking Verne...

The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy, By Douglas Adams.

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Around the World in 80 Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, By Jules Verne.

Hobbit, By Tolkien.

Stauder.

The Terran Trade Authority Handbooks.

Lavishly illustrated tomes with SpecFic presented as Science Fact. They are wonderful and I have two of four. The art is fantastic and the writing good. If you ever get a chance, take a look at a copy and see what i mean.

Anything Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, P.G. Wodehouse, or Douglas Adams makes me grin. :D

Steampunk is pretty good, starting with the early sci-fi masters like Verne and Wells and going to modern writers like George Mann. :3

Ray Bradbury's rather enjoyable as a short story writer; I've yet to read any of his novels though... ^^;

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes is top notch as well! ^,^

Then there's the 200+ volumes of manga that are staring at me from across the room... o_O