Emperor Claudius Rome

Romans or Greeks/Spartans

Romans or Greeks?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Romans or Greeks?

• Romans
    • Greeks/Spartans

Didn't Alexander fought against India? I suppose India had elephants too.

I would love to see a phalanx.

Didn't Alexander fought against India? I suppose India had elephants too.

yep, He did see india an fought some battles... And yes they also fought against some elephants (you could make great of use the orient expedition sets)

Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to see ancient Greek Lego - Greek warriors, Argonauts, centaurs, cyclopes, the Hydra, Orpheus and his lyre. The buildings would be amazing too.

But, I think that the Romans would be more likely, historical Rome is probably more marketable in most of Lego's markets (don't know how it'd go down in East Asia), as I'd imagine that more people could picture a bunch of Roman soldiers than the Greeks. If they did do Greeks, I think it'd have to centre on the mythological side of things, but of course Roman mythology did integrate a lot of Greek mythology.

I think it's been suggested in the past that some sort of amalgamation of the two might be a good compromise.

The other thing is this: apart from licensed ranges, what other ranges could Lego possibly introduce? We've had pirates, vikings, wild west, conquistadors, etc, etc - Romans are one of the few general themes that haven't been explored.

First of all, Greeks mostly fought Eastern warriors, and the concept of them fighting persians would cause iranian government to do something severe (They might sue lego, or they might nuke billund)

So you are not familiar with the city-state system of the ancient Greece and their constant fightings? Example Sparta and Troy. Also, if my memory serves me well, didnt Romans conquer Greece in the 2nd century BC and brought their culture and customs with them aka gladiator fights as well. Gladiator games started in Rome, but were present in other parts of their empire which was streching from Spain and GB past Greece all the way to Syria.

Why would Iranian government do something severe?- nothing personally against you mate, but that was a bit prejudice opinion there.

Secondly, no there wasn't gladiators in ancient greece. You might be confused with the olympics. But the olympics were an event were greek men competed in games with other greek men in the nude, and gladiatoring was battle between slaves, POW's and criminals, TO THE DEATH!!!

I know what Olympics were, see the first answer.

Oh yes they did, and kept it almost 1000 years.

Oh no, they didn't :tongue:

The closest Rome came Persia was when they conquered Mesopotamia in 116AD, which they lost just two years later.

Is it too much to ask for both? I would love either but a mix of the two would be the best.TLC doesn't really care about historical accuracy most of the time so I would be content with an Ancient Civilizations theme with Greeks, Romans, and even a bit of Egypt. :wub:

That's a great and very interesting topic, Emperor claduis rome! :thumbup:

I of course voted for

Romans :wub:

1. Greeks were never my big interest in history - and they still aren't.

2. Another fantasy theme like the current "Castle" theme would be :sick: !

3. Romans are known to everybody and kids (mainly boys) like to play with Roman soldiers and the other military stuff which belongs to them. :wink:

4. For the war line there are many fractions of enemies possible: Gauls, Egypts, Teutons, Vandals, ... :thumbup:

5. A Roman theme would (theoretically) open up great possibilities to get a lot of war stuff (soldiers, ships, fortress, ...) on the one hand and even a lot of civilian stuff (colosseum with gladiators, Circus Maximus with carriages, big Roman villa, other civilian buildings) on the other hand. :wub:

Btw: Welcome to EB, Emperor claduis rome! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

4. For the war line there are many fractions of enemies possible: Gauls, Egypts, Teutons, Vandals, ... :thumbup:

How about Greeks (without fantasy)? :wink:

Is it too much to ask for both? I would love either but a mix of the two would be the best.TLC doesn't really care about historical accuracy most of the time so I would be content with an Ancient Civilizations theme with Greeks, Romans, and even a bit of Egypt. :wub:

Completely agreed. Mix-and-match elements from a variety of classical sources, and you've got an amazing line-up. Roman-influenced human faction vs barbarians and Greek-inspired monsters.

I'd be curious to know given how often a "classics" line comes up if LEGO hasn't ever done any demographic testing on it. Sure, it'd probably grab us older folk, but then again most of the younger set that's TLG's primary audience tends to run screaming from anything that seems educational. A gross over-generalization, sure, but then there's a reason why stuff like Power Miners and Bionicle is so popular!

Completely agreed. Mix-and-match elements from a variety of classical sources, and you've got an amazing line-up. Roman-influenced human faction vs barbarians and Greek-inspired monsters.

I'd be curious to know given how often a "classics" line comes up if LEGO hasn't ever done any demographic testing on it. Sure, it'd probably grab us older folk, but then again most of the younger set that's TLG's primary audience tends to run screaming from anything that seems educational. A gross over-generalization, sure, but then there's a reason why stuff like Power Miners and Bionicle is so popular!

If kids ran away from anything educational, explain how Lego became so popular with kids? :sceptic:

If kids ran away from anything educational, explain how Lego became so popular with kids? :sceptic:

Note I said that was an exceptionally broad generalization. No doubt some kids would love a line with a classic flavor.

That said, LEGO encourages self-guided creative play. More directly historically-influenced sets that aren't based on something children would come in contact with via other media (Pirates, for instance, and even that line doesn't do nearly as well as Power Miners) might come off as an attempt at education (read: school) rather than letting their own play and interests guide the line.

That's why I love the idea of a more broadly-based "Classics" line rather than one that's specifically Roman or Greek. Kids clearly love Castle, and a line that has one foot in a historical-influence and the other in the middle of a fantasy landscape with monsters and the like seems right up the core demographic's alley.

I'm not really keen on either line, but given the choice I'd rather see a Roman theme. I figure if such a line were to come about, chances are Castle would be put into hiatus again. As a child I was able to collect multiple themes however I've come to realize that as an adult I can only stretch my money so far. The prospect of either theme sends chills down my spine as I don't want to see Castle retired again.

I suspect that I'm in the minority on this one but given the choice I'd rather see Castle go on for another few years with new factions and sets. I've always viewed Castle to be one of LEGO's core brands along with Town and Space.

That's a great and very interesting topic, Emperor claduis rome! :thumbup:

I of course voted for

Romans :wub:

1. Greeks were never my big interest in history - and they still aren't.

2. Another fantasy theme like the current "Castle" theme would be :sick: !

3. Romans are known to everybody and kids (mainly boys) like to play with Roman soldiers and the other military stuff which belongs to them. :wink:

5. A Roman theme would (theoretically) open up great possibilities to get a lot of war stuff (soldiers, ships, fortress, ...) on the one hand and even a lot of civilian stuff (colosseum with gladiators, Circus Maximus with carriages, big Roman villa, other civilian buildings) on the other hand. :wub:

Btw: Welcome to EB, Emperor claduis rome! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks klaus, anyway... If they did make romans, they wouldn't give the barbarians actual names, just call them Barbarian warriors.

This is a great idea, and if Lego ever does do this type of theme, I think this concept would be the likely form. Castle Lego was always a generic theme, not set in one place or era, and the modern theme is even more so. A mix and match approach would give Lego plenty of scope for sets, good play appeal for kids, and what all of us really want!

I think they would both mke great themes. With the Greeks you could have more of a mytholagy type thing with lots of great monsters maybe a Hoplite impulse set hudge warships and buildings. Romans would have lots of great war machines maybe warships. :thumbup: Its hard to pick just one.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

Greeks only with mythological theme, otherwise Romans. They could make sets like Battle of Cannae or Roman Forum.

maybe a Hoplite impulse set hudge warships.

This sounds more like Greeks to me. :wink:

This sounds more like Greeks to me. :wink:

Sorry about that my mouse jumps alot. Thanks for saying something.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

So you are not familiar with the city-state system of the ancient Greece and their constant fightings? Example Sparta and Troy. Also, if my memory serves me well, didnt Romans conquer Greece in the 2nd century BC and brought their culture and customs with them aka gladiator fights as well. Gladiator games started in Rome, but were present in other parts of their empire which was streching from Spain and GB past Greece all the way to Syria.

Okay, I know a lot about romans and greeks, and firstly, not every aspect of roman life copied the greeks. Most parts of roman culture was stolen from the Etruscans, a civilization that lived in northern italy. Gladiatoring, was taken from a Etruscan funeral tradition. Not to be mean buddy fwend, but you need to check before you say things.

Gladiatoring, was taken from a Etruscan funeral tradition.

This is open to debate, the origin is attributed by Classical authors, to either the Etruscans or the Campanians. Modern interpretations would favour a southern origin on the basis of earliest known Gladiator schools in this area.

Okay, I know a lot about romans and greeks, and firstly, not every aspect of roman life copied the greeks. Most parts of roman culture was stolen from the Etruscans, a civilization that lived in northern italy. Gladiatoring, was taken from a Etruscan funeral tradition. Not to be mean buddy fwend, but you need to check before you say things.

No offense taken whatsoever.

Here is a little introduction from one of the ancinet mythology books from my personal library:

"...However, much of Roman mythology was borrowed from the Greeks. But while he stories remain essentailly the same, then names have been changed. The Romans also have myths on their own, completely separate from those of the Greeks..."

I have never said anything about Romans copying every aspect of Greeks culture, so I am not sure how did yopu get that idea, but I want to clear that missunderstanding right now. All I am trying to say is that Greeks and Roman arent so different. With thats said I agree with yopu that Etruscans were important infulence on Roman culture.

"Etruscans lived in the city-states just like the Greeks and they "addopted" human looking gods from the Greeks." Also, look at the gods and their specialties: Zeus-Jupiter, Poseidon-Neptune, Athena-Minerva, Hades-Pluto and the list goes on, it is easy to obsreve similarities...

Again, Greeks or Romans for the new lego faction falls strongly with the personal prefference,; you vote for Romans, I vote for both, regardless which one comes first. Both cultures have their pros and cons, with similar factors in between. Hopefully we will see both factions, or even one would do it, Greek or Roman.

I just got other things that would be good with romans. Lego could do some generic storyline like "One of the senaters wants to take the position of emporer, so he hires a group of barbarians to attack The borders. We could get a nice senators toga (With a purple stripe) Also, the way lego usually goes, they might make 2 kinds of soldier, Regular (With a red and silver colour scheme) and special guards (Blue and gold scheme). Lego might also make three differnet helmets (Legionary, Stereotypical one with the plume, and a centurions). And Lego could reprint on those troll shields.