10194 Emerald Night  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

I just bought this set. This is my first Lego train, it looks very good, exactly as it seems on that review !!! Congratulation !!!

So... Now I need rails and Power Functions... :)

My emerald night arrived in the mail today! I bought it of eBay for 121 Australian dollars unbuilt in the packets just with no box. I can't wait to get home and build it! It sure looks like it's going to be a fun build.

I bought mine about 2 months ago, and the parts just came in the mail yesterday to Power-functions it. So far I'm very underwhelmed - I mean yes it does move under its own power, but barely - no speed whatsoever, and it moves in pulses. I had to disconnect the middle drive wheels (the ones with no rubber traction band) as they were popping the drive arms apart, and I wonder if I was entirely too tight in how I built it - there's a ton of mechanical drag that the motor struggles to move. It makes me even consider getting out some WD-40 oil to use as lubrication for the drivetrain...or adding a powered carriage to the tender to help push.

I bought mine about 2 months ago, and the parts just came in the mail yesterday to Power-functions it. So far I'm very underwhelmed - I mean yes it does move under its own power, but barely - no speed whatsoever, and it moves in pulses. I had to disconnect the middle drive wheels (the ones with no rubber traction band) as they were popping the drive arms apart, and I wonder if I was entirely too tight in how I built it - there's a ton of mechanical drag that the motor struggles to move. It makes me even consider getting out some WD-40 oil to use as lubrication for the drivetrain...or adding a powered carriage to the tender to help push.

There are a number of things to check. Most technic construction need to be built with precise spacings so you may have built it too tightly. It also may be jamming because you got the quartering of the axles wrong; the drive rods should be a quarter turn or 90 degrees different to each other just as in a real steam locomotive or they will jam. There are also a number of modifications people have made to the EN because after a few hours running it will bind, there are a couple of other threads discussing those. It does sound like this is due to your building rather than the design though, mine had no problems and freely moved when finished.

Well I got my other two train locomotives out and used them to help push the EN around the track for awhile, and now the EN actually travels quite a bit more freely on it's own. It's faster, not as fast as I'd like but it's a start. I think the mechanism just had to be pushed around awhile to loosen up.

Still, I'll look at making adjustments where I can.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I've got my EN pulling a 15 car train around several curves with no trouble (and that's on low batteries) so it shouldn't move that badly.

I have noticed some jerkiness with mine, but only when running at the lowest speed.

A great set IMO. It'll be sad to see it go :cry_happy: Better stock up!

I will just use mine as a display set among the town instead of powering it. Seems like its quite inefficient due to the drivetrain :tongue: It still looks good sitting still!

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

I recently built this set and seem to have two extra train wheels: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=55423. However when looking at the Emerald Night inventory, http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=10194-1, the set includes only six of these train wheels versus the eight I received. Has anyone else received a set with extra train wheels?

As long it will sell. Normal it's 3 years, but we see that some sets only be for sale at S@H for 1 year. Don't worry, 2d hand it's always for sale, only the price will go up or maybe down if you're lucky.

According to Amazon, it's a discontinued set. I wouldn't count on it being available for much longer, especially with all the new trains coming (Maersk, etc)

I recently built this set and seem to have two extra train wheels: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=55423. However when looking at the Emerald Night inventory, http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=10194-1, the set includes only six of these train wheels versus the eight I received. Has anyone else received a set with extra train wheels?

I had two extra wheels as well... i looked a few times whether i missed something, but there are just 2 spare wheels..... I'm from the netherlands....

Greetz, LegoSjaak

I received extra wheels with both my copies of the Emerald Night. I'm fairly sure by this point that it's the standard, though I don't know why BrickLink doesn't have them listed...

I received extra wheels with both my copies of the Emerald Night. I'm fairly sure by this point that it's the standard, though I don't know why BrickLink doesn't have them listed...

Perhaps they are releasing end of 'production run' stock?... or results from bad batches (where some wheels may be good)?... the new models dont need them...

i think its like the great western train chase set. they had extra pairs of drivers (blinds i pesume?)so im guessing the latter ones had it? and would i be right in saying lego is almost finished producing this model?

Mine did not come with extra wheels (I bought it as soon as it came out). There have been some small changes to this set.

Mine did not come with extra wheels (I bought it as soon as it came out). There have been some small changes to this set.

What was changed, besides the extra wheels?

What was changed, besides the extra wheels?

I think there has been a change in the instructions. One of the gears that you can see under the train would slide off its axle when the train is pulling a heavy load (actually, that gear would tend to slide off when the train was running backwards).

I added a 1x1 technic brick to my EN to prevent this problem. I've heard that in newer versions, this 1x1 technic brick shows up in the instructions (I guess that also means a change to the inventory).

Edited by hoeij

Yep, I got the EN maybe a year ago and it came with the 1x1 Technic brick (and was printed in the instructions how to use it, not as a separate sheet).

I can't take it any more. Ordering this. I just returned to Lego trains (don't even have a track set up) but it will break my heart if this goes out of production before I grab one.

At least I can probably wait until my layout is set up for the Maersk.

Got mine today (probably the last day it is available?) And I was not dissapointed! One of the all-time best sets of Lego! :laugh:

NewBatteryGuy posted this YouTube video on how to use a regular 9V battery with the Power Functions components to power the 10194 Emerald Night. He wrote that "It's an adapter that connects the Lego infrared receiver to a 9v battery. It's very handy because it replaces the 50 dollar rechargeable battery box from Lego. Instead you can buy this adapter and a 5 dollar rechargeable 9V battery."

"Buy The Adapter Here: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=bat_chavez&itemID=22828531

250mAh Battery Lasted 1 Hr 20 Min at speed 2. Over 30 Mins at full speed. When you buy your batteries make sure the charger matches the battery type. Connecting the motor directly to a battery will not work, you need the receiver and controller."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjZoymaYkY

Edited by DLuders