Dollar Bill

Do you think we'll get a Lego LotR or Lego Hobbit brand?

Though I would enjoy having a LOTR or Hobbit line, I can't see it happening. If they were going to do it they probably would not of made that fantasy line which has mulptiple characteristics of LOTR. Though there would be some new cool elements, they would be re-doing the fantasy line pretty much.

Yes, I believe.

I believe in October 2012 (two months before the first Hobbit movie) we will see the first LEGO Hobbit sets in some stores. Next year (2013) between the two movies maybe the first Lord of the Rings set.

After the Hobbit movies we will have for a while the next break. After the the break (maybe 5 or maybe 15 years) come The Children of Hurin in the cinemas. And here we will see the most spectacularly locations in Tolkiens world. Connected with "The Children of Hurin" will Hollywood show us the next moneymakers. "The Beginning of Arda and the Return of the Noldor", "Beren and Luthien", "Nirnaeth Arnoediad", "The Fall of Gondolin", "Earendil and the War of Wrath". Tolkiens Silmarillion with the impressive Elve citys and Dwarf Kingdoms, Balrog- and Dragonarmies will be LEGOs next Star Wars.

Yes, and I believe the Classic Castle Theme will never die. Like Star Wars and Space Police or Mars Mission will LEGO produce Classic Castle and Tolkien in the same time. One day we will have some LEGO Tolkien plus Classic Castle sets in a store in our neighborhood. :laugh:

Greetings,

Elander

Edited by Elander

I don't even see the need for LEGO LotR-sets. We have the Castle Fantasy Era line already, with hopes of seeing elves in the near future.

I think this, too.

I would love to see LOTR LEGO, I could see the slim possibility of it happening because of the Hobbit movie, but I just really doubt it and certainly won't get my hopes up.... and the only thing we're really missing is elves.

That said, I don't think it's too late to capitalize on the LOTR because with the Hobbit movie coming along, I think interest will be rekindled... I mean, that's what happened with Toy Story, right?

But it's true - we've gotten most everything we need with Fantasy Era except elves. Sadly, while we'll get collectible minifigures, though, we won't get any large scale set with various elves in it... it'd be like have three hundred Spartans that all look exactly alike.

But since we're pondering the subject, the truth is there's so many more possibilities with LOTR than there ever was with Harry Potter, and Harry Potter managed to work out well enough for TLG. In fact, the possibilities were so slim we got several repeats of most HP sets.

I think that Harry Potter was more popular than LotR, but that's because Harry Potter reached out to a wider variety of readers. LotR was too deep and complicated for most readers under the age of 17 these days. I personally enjoy reading HP for reasons explaned above, but there isn't much debate over wich is the better book.

~MC

Are we talking about books or movies? LOTR has had many more readers... but it's also been around for nearly 60 years, so it's not really comparable... HP has probably had an average number of readers per year a lot higher than LOTR... but it's been around a lot less time.

On the other hand, we're referring to the movies... on a movie by movie basis, more people have seen the LOTR (you have to look at the average for each movie in the series to estimate the number of fans.. and the average viewership for LOTR is much higher than HP).

Don't get me wrong... I'm not arguing one is better than the other - I like both, and am enjoying the current series of HP sets.

I think the argument to make is that the target audience for HP is much more aligned with the target audience for LEGO. If you look at people in the LEGO demographic, HP is a lot more popular. Still... thinking out loud, TLG discontinued HP, ostensibly for less than stellar sales (don't believe the hype about the movies getting "dark," is complete garbage... the only reason a company willfully stops producing something has to do with money).

nah, it is too late. Also kids who might buy lego sets don't read the books, and probably they are even a couple of years too young to watch the movies. It's just not fun like Indy or Harry Potter. It takes itself to serious and that doesn't attract kids, maybe teens but they don't buy too many sets anymore.

I like the books but even I wouldn't get a set. It's a nice story but too boring to reenact or play with.

nah, it is too late.

I completely disagree... with a new movie coming out, there's no difference between LOTR and Toy Story (the first two parts came out before the LOTR) and Indiana Jones (even worse... three movies over 20 years ago). Even Pirates of the Caribbean... three movies, no LEGO; fourth movie, and now LEGO. Let's not also forget the giant gap between the last HP sets and the current ones... yet even the new ones are themes from past movies.

Also kids who might buy lego sets don't read the books, and probably they are even a couple of years too young to watch the movies. It's just not fun like Indy or Harry Potter. It takes itself to serious and that doesn't attract kids, maybe teens but they don't buy too many sets anymore.

Now this part I can (and already have) agreed with... HP attracts the LEGO demographic a lot more than LOTR, I don't think there's any question about it... however, The Hobbit is definitely geared towards a younger audience than LOTR (and as of right now, Jackson is slated to direct it - not del Toro).

I like the books but even I wouldn't get a set. It's a nice story but too boring to reenact or play with.

Well now... that's just you... I don't "play" with any of the sets I get except trains... my shelves are filled with Star Wars ships, Harry Potter "vignettes," castle sets, and many city themed sets (that are intended to eventually be part of a large train layout).

In fact, the only set I was very "iffy" about with HP was the Quidditch set, because it's definitely a play set... otherwise the figures just stand there on the ground (I eventually used clear pieces to make them "fly").

Sure, they're a functional display... I can show people things light up, or secret passages open, etc., but it's essentially just for display.

I'm not arguing that I'm normal (I'm most certainly not), but not only do I think "display only" is just fine, frankly I think there are more playable sets from LOTR then there are from HP. Sure, Bag End and Orthanc might be better off as displays, but there's a lot more than that... from chases involving Nazgul (including the encounter at Weathertop) to confronting the troll in the burial chamber in Moria, and on to facing the Balrog... lots of battle scenes, too... they've already done siege towers for the castle line, that's the kind of thing they could do for LOTR, also. I'm not going to list them all, since it's been done to death in another thread, but there's plenty of "playable" sets that could come out of LOTR.

Now, honestly, I'm just thinking out loud some more, because while I would love the theme, I also realize it's likely not going to happen and I wouldn't want anyone to get their hopes up, but the reasons are strictly financial ones, not because they wouldn't make good sets... I don't want to suggest I even think it's a possibility, but I do think the theme has a lot of merit; more than some of the other themes they've chosen.

But it's true - we've gotten most everything we need with Fantasy Era except elves. Sadly, while we'll get collectible minifigures, though, we won't get any large scale set with various elves in it... it'd be like have three hundred Spartans that all look exactly alike.

I see no comparison between LEGO orcs and these orcs. Likewise the dwarves. Just to see these characters in LEGO-style must be awesome.

And where are the LEGO-fantasy elements (bricks)? For example different exquisitely-turned stonecolumns for the dwarf-halls (like trees or just columns with dwarfsymbols). The orcs or trolls would have for example animalcolumns (maybe snakes or dragons).

I to mean LEGO bricks in fantasy-style. For the different characters (peoples) on-topic arches, windows, tapestries, statuary, roofing tiles... and and and. In dark lighted symbols or whole bricks.

It must be awesome if you have these well-fitting LEGO elements to build your own tree house (like Lothlorien with shining steps and white windig roofs). I fail to see why LEGO have never produced a reasonable commercial fantasy-line.

Edited by Elander

The major challenge I see is how could LEGO turn the massive buildings and locations in Middle Earth into affordable playsets.

Would be cool, but I sort of doubt there will be a LEGO hobbit theme.

As much as I'd like to see this line (and Tron, for that matter), it just doesn't look like it would happen. It seems like Disney movies have the market cornered on Lego licensing with Toy Story, PoP, PotC, and whatever else that I'm forgetting lately. Harry Potter and Star Wars have been old faithfulls for a decade, and I'm sure Indiana Jones snuck in there with the George Lucas connection with Star Wars.

It would be tough to make truly original sets and minifigs because of all the Castle and castle-related themes that Lego has done in the past.

TLG discontinued HP

Wrong. They paused production for HP sets until this year in 2007 because TLG didn't believe there was enough in OotP to make good sets with(excluding Hogwarts castle). Besides, everything we could ever need for LotR(almost) is already available in Castle and Kingdoms sets. There is no chance of this happening for that very reason!

Lord Embo

I think the timing for a Hobbit license works perfectly. The movie isn't due out for several years (assuming they can work through all of MGM's financial problems, the labor issues in New Zealand, etc.). By that time, the Harry Potter films will be done. The new Pirates of the Caribbean movie will be done. Seems like The Hobbit would slot right in there.

However, I think the bigger problem is the mini-figs. Let's face it, a HUUUUGE part of the appeal for licensed sets is simply the mini-figs. It's taken TLC a long time to realize this fact, but I think they finally get it. We all LOVE collecting mini-figs of recognizable characters. And that's where The Hobbit might pose a problem, since the main characters in the story are: a) a hobbit, and b) thirteen mostly interchangeable dwarves! Is anyone going to be interested in collecting thirteen dwarf characters?? "I have to get this set because it comes with Oin and Gloin!"

Of course there are some other easily recognizable characters in the story too -- Gandalf, Beorn, Gollum (not to mention Smaug the dragon). However, they all play relatively small roles. The majority of the story deals with Bilbo and a bunch of dwarves. I'm just not sure that the story lends itself well to a Lego license.

However, I think the bigger problem is the mini-figs. Let's face it, a HUUUUGE part of the appeal for licensed sets is simply the mini-figs. It's taken TLC a long time to realize this fact, but I think they finally get it. We all LOVE collecting mini-figs of recognizable characters. And that's where The Hobbit might pose a problem, since the main characters in the story are: a) a hobbit, and b) thirteen mostly interchangeable dwarves! Is anyone going to be interested in collecting thirteen dwarf characters?? "I have to get this set because it comes with Oin and Gloin!"

Yes. It depends how "in" to the theme you are. I'm a fan of the Star Wars OT, for example, but I've taken to making a lot of my ships instead of buying sets for various reasons... but that leaves me stuck without matching minifgures.

So I made my own snow speeder, and I was on fbtb.net, I think, and I was like "you know what? Who the heck cares about some tiny detail on the pilot's uniform? Just give me a rebel pilot in an orange jumpsuit and that's fine," and got a bunch of replies berating me about which pilot was which and how important the distinctions were. But then I'm just some older guy who fondly remembers Star Wars from his childhood, I don't keep up on the all the new fiction or every little detail of the SW universe.

On the other hand, you damn well better believe there's a difference between Crabbe and Goyle in HP, and don't try to pass one off as the other. Don't even suggest there's not enough difference between Hermione and Ginny minifgures to care about! Suffice it to say I saw their point when I thought about it for a little while.

13 Dwarfs is a lot though, I admit. I think it's not likely they'd do all of them anyway. I'm more of a LOTR fan than HP, and even I wouldn't be like "Dude! They SO need to make a Dori figure!" I would take the important ones (like Thorin, Balin, and Dwalin) and fill in the rest with generic ones and not be upset about it.

The reason the suspended HP was because there was nothing to make. How many times can you release the same train and castle? And they've essentially did it again with minor updates. But there's dozens of sets of all different sizes that could be made for the Hobbit and LOTR. I'm sure I could come up with at least 50 reasonable sets, and the LOTR thread has produced a lot more than that (although I think many are of dubious "reasonableness").

So... back on the record, back to reality... I doubt it will happen, but it's as logical a license as any, IMO.

Well the reason why the Lotor Thread in the Fantasy forum has so many set ideas, is because they go beyond the films and make ideas for the history of Middle earth as well. :knight:

It's a nice story but too boring to reenact or play with.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You know that's -9 billion percent true, right?

Lego had a question about a LoTR theme in their latest survey. So they can be doing it we can never know :)

If I remember right, that was an answer added by participants not LEGO themselves.

Well the reason why the Lotor Thread in the Fantasy forum has so many set ideas, is because they go beyond the films and make ideas for the history of Middle earth as well. :knight:

Again... I'm not holding my breath; I would like to see it happen, but I'm doubting it will, but as I said... I could probably come up with 50 from the LOTR movies and thinking about what will obviously be in the Hobbit movies. But you can start with Bag End and Bilbo's birthday for two; Gandalf's cart for another, and in just those sets you have the four major Hobbits and Gandalf in the sets... three easy sets in the first few minutes of the first movie, and if you wanted to pull a "LEGO," you could probably get two out of Bag End (the same way you can get a Hogwarts Castle and separate sets for various offices and classrooms).

I don't want this to become another thread of set ideas, but the point is that even limiting it to the movies you could get more out of one LOTR film that you got out of all the HP movies.

To add my thoughts to this conversation....I think we won't get any LotR-sets!

But:

[...] i think is the best minas tirith I have ever seen.

01.jpg

the full folder with some other cool creations

Have you seen that.....

....They will be finished in 2010 so I'm hoping I can see that one at the LegoFanWelt in cologne this November.... :classic: Edited by Skalldyr

While I think LOTR sets won't happen, Hobbit sets would be highly plausible. I'd like to see Hobbit sets, though I think hobbits, dwarves, humans and elves would cause a problem in minifig scale. As for elven sets, there are two elven communities in The Hobbit, including Rivendel. The other being the elves of Mirkwood Forest.

In the meantime, there's always MOC's people can create... and I thought you LOTR fans would like this...

5320d122eade1e875fd3baeb490c5aeb.png

and this...

bb1653e46c429bef4897d4f1559db10c.png

Anyone ever figured the reason TLG is discontinuing Kingdoms in 2011 is because they might have a Hobbit line planned for 2012 (when the film is released)? Sorta like there wasn't a Pirates line in 2010 because a PotC line is coming out in 2011 when the new PotC film comes out. From a marketing pov, it makes sense that TLG would want a year in between so that customers will be extra eager to buy the new (licensed) sets.

That could also explain why no Elf sets have been released, even though it looked very much like they would. The Elf sets might have been planned for 2010, but once TLG knew there might come a LotR/Hobbit line later, decided to postpone the idea and released Kingdoms instead, a theme that barely has any resemblance to LotR.

And finally there's the rumors of Travellers Tales developing a Lego Hobbit game...

It just all seems to point to a Hobbit (and later possibly a LotR) line to me. If TLG wasn't planning LotR sets, I believe they would've released Elf sets in 2010 rather than Kingdoms, which (especially due to its apparent discontinuation in 2011) seems more like a sweetholder for Castle fans.

Lego is not discontinuing Kingdoms. It will probably be a summer wave. While I would like to have LOTR as a Lego line, I think this community would have gotten wind of such spectacular development by now.

Well we're talking about 2012. How often do you know of new sets more than a year in advance?

And the Kingdoms being discontinued I got from Brickipedia. Not sure about its reliability but I just don't know what more they can do with the line.

Edited by iScream