Dollar Bill

Do you think we'll get a Lego LotR or Lego Hobbit brand?

According to recent news I saw at theonering.net (http://www.theonering.net/), the animators at Travelers' Tales and Lego are making a demo to pitch to Peter Jackson in hopes of making a Lego: Hobbit VG. Now, I've never really been too thrilled with Lego games (I'm all about the actual sets), but with the idea of a video game coming up, we may get a Hobbit or LotR brand coming :cry_happy:

What do you think will happen with Tolken+Lego?

I doubt it, from a commercial point of vieuw it's to late now, the hipe is over.

I can understand why we didn't get a LoTR line, but The Hobbit seems like the perfect thing for Lego to make into a line - lots of set opportunities, kid-friendly, not that violent, and sure to be a profit.

I can understand why we didn't get a LoTR line, but The Hobbit seems like the perfect thing for Lego to make into a line - lots of set opportunities, kid-friendly, not that violent, and sure to be a profit.

If the sets were strictly based on the book's material, then I can agree that it would be kid-friendly and not that violent. However, the movie is being directed by Guillermo del Toro, known for dark, creepy movies like Pan's Labyrinth (and Hellboy also a bit), so I can bet The Hobbit will also be not entirely LEGO-age range kid friendly. If sets were just based on the book, they would probably not do so well because not so many kids in that age range read The Hobbit.

You can count me in, I'll rank the theme as my second or third favourite. (after Technic and Star Wars)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the hype will continue. Star Wars doesn't seem to be going down, does it? (Oh right I'm not in the Star Wars topic forum)

I don't even see the need for LEGO LotR-sets. We have the Castle Fantasy Era line already, with hopes of seeing elves in the near future.

But think, with LotR, we'd get: Balrogs, Giant Spiders (not the crappy Aragog version), Hobbits, definite Elves with Elven armor, weapons, Elven cities, etc., Wizards, surely new torso decals and faces and hair styles, and possibly weapons. Not likely, but think of Gandalf's staff.... Also new Dwarven stuff to MOC with or to add to your Castle collection, as well as Gondorian soldiers to do the same with, and Rohan soldiers as well. AND, who wouldn't want a Gollum minifig?!

And think of the sets! You'd get Bag End, Isengard, Rivendell, Mordor, a section or two of Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep, and along with all the siege vehicles, like catapults, trebuchets, siege towers, battering rams, and don't even get me started on the army builders! :cry_happy: Packs of Gondorian soldiers, packs of Uruk Hai, packs of Rohirrim (think of all the horses!), packs of Orcs, packs of Elven Archers, packs of Dwarven soldiers, and packs of Hobbits :cry_happy:.

Also, think of this. After the initial Hobbit and LotR brands are done, they can explore into the Silmarillion or perhaps the Unfinished Tales, giving us Fingolfin, Feanor, Morgoth, Ungoliant, the Two Trees, the Blue Wizards, everything! And then they can branch off and give us character packs: The Four Hobbits, the Fellowship, The Five Wizards, the Three Elves, Seven Dwarves, Nine Men (or Nine Nazgul :cryhappy:), Sauron and Saruman, Grima, Theoden, Eomer, Denethor and his sons...

Wow. I would LOVE this. :D

Well as i have said before I would love to get LOTR sets or the hobbit sets. It would be the best but I don't know what will happen. If they produce some definate evidence the game is coming then i will sing with joy that we might get the sets but until then I am gonna sit tight and stare at this minas tirith which i think is the best minas tirith I have ever seen.

01.jpg

the full folder with some other cool creations

Well as i have said before I would love to get LOTR sets or the hobbit sets. It would be the best but I don't know what will happen. If they produce some definate evidence the game is coming then i will sing with joy that we might get the sets but until then I am gonna sit tight and stare at this minas tirith which i think is the best minas tirith I have ever seen.

Wow! That is absolutely awesome. As to whether or not we'll be getting these themes, no one can say. The Hobbit is absolutely categorized as a work of children's literature, so regardless of del Toro's previous resume I think it remain much the same. Certainly there will be elements of darkness in it, but I don't find that to be incompatible with children. No matter how dark del Toro's original work is, you have to remember that it won't necessarily define his approach to this movie. I mean, for instance, take Alfonso Cuarón who directed Prisoner of Azkaban. I can recall when he was announced as the director many people worried he would little the film with loads of sexual innuendos due to his previous film Y tu mamá también. But as those of us who have seen the movie know he stayed true to the source material, or at least the script. I would love to see a Lord of the Rings LEGO franchise and I think the hype of the Hobbit's release could really fuel that. I mean, take for instance the new Disney license which will be releasing sets from Toy Story 1 which by the itme of the toy's release will be fifteen years old. Any LEGO marketing executive knows that if the hype isn't present, there are easy ways to establish it. Toy Story 1's toys will sell well because of the upcoming Toy Story 3. Presumably LEGO LotR would sell well because of the release of the Hobbit. But then again, everything at this point would be entirely speculative.

If sets were just based on the book, they would probably not do so well because not so many kids in that age range read The Hobbit.

LOL. I did; which probably explains why I'm still waiting for LOTR LEGO to this day. Seriously though, the current fantasy line is not a poor substitute.

~M~

No, I don't think we will.

Then again, I didn't think we'd ever get Toy Story Lego...

:skull:

they had worked on a demo to pitch to Peter Jackson for a game based on the forthcoming Hobbit movies, due in 2012.

It doesn't actually state that its a Lego hobbit game.

It doesn't actually state that its a Lego hobbit game.

Well I highly doubt we'll be getting Lego The Lovely Bones, so either the Hobbit or Tintin is what the game would be about. Personally I'd love a line of either of them [Tintin might be easier - they won't have thirteen dwarves to make, and they can can just have two detective figs in a set, call them Thomson and Thompson].

I dont think so. LotR was never as popular as harry potter or star wars

They were once considering to make LoTR sets when the movies are out.

They still can when the Hobbit comes out.

-Omi

I don't even see the need for LEGO LotR-sets. We have the Castle Fantasy Era line already, with hopes of seeing elves in the near future.

Ditto. We already have all we need.

Also, to officially grab the license would be probably more expensive than with Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

I'm happy with the current Castle line. We really have all the elements (bricks and minifig accessories) needed to make LOTR material on our own. A Hobbit/LOTR line doesn't really add much IMO.

That's not true, it is just as popular!

I do doubt that TLC will make it as a theme though...

:skull:

I thought TT Games was talking about a regular Hobbit game. In any case, I think it wouldn't sell that well. I don't know of any kids who are fans of those franchises.

I'd love to see anything regarding LotR/ Hobbit. Great stories and as others have stated, the main parts (for both Lego lines and games) are there.

While maybe not Star Wars, I think that LotR was always more popular than HP, in both books and movies. (I still haven't read the LotR books, so I can't compare them to HP, but IMO the LotR movies OWN the HP movies).

But think, with LotR, we'd get: Balrogs, Giant Spiders (not the crappy Aragog version), Hobbits, definite Elves with Elven armor, weapons, Elven cities, etc., Wizards, surely new torso decals and faces and hair styles, and possibly weapons. Not likely, but think of Gandalf's staff.... Also new Dwarven stuff to MOC with or to add to your Castle collection, as well as Gondorian soldiers to do the same with, and Rohan soldiers as well. AND, who wouldn't want a Gollum minifig?!

And think of the sets! You'd get Bag End, Isengard, Rivendell, Mordor, a section or two of Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep, and along with all the siege vehicles, like catapults, trebuchets, siege towers, battering rams, and don't even get me started on the army builders! :cry_happy: Packs of Gondorian soldiers, packs of Uruk Hai, packs of Rohirrim (think of all the horses!), packs of Orcs, packs of Elven Archers, packs of Dwarven soldiers, and packs of Hobbits :cry_happy:.

Also, think of this. After the initial Hobbit and LotR brands are done, they can explore into the Silmarillion or perhaps the Unfinished Tales, giving us Fingolfin, Feanor, Morgoth, Ungoliant, the Two Trees, the Blue Wizards, everything! And then they can branch off and give us character packs: The Four Hobbits, the Fellowship, The Five Wizards, the Three Elves, Seven Dwarves, Nine Men (or Nine Nazgul :cryhappy:), Sauron and Saruman, Grima, Theoden, Eomer, Denethor and his sons...

Wow. I would LOVE this. :D

Hi, :classic:

at the time I to try the amazing world of Tolkien to transform in ideas for MOCs or LEGO-sets.

Today we have the incredible number of 200 Exclusive- and Playsets.

...aaaand believe me. I cant see a end.

Take a look here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38032

While maybe not Star Wars, I think that LotR was always more popular than HP, in both books and movies. (I still haven't read the LotR books, so I can't compare them to HP, but IMO the LotR movies OWN the HP movies).

I think that Harry Potter was more popular than LotR, but that's because Harry Potter reached out to a wider variety of readers. LotR was too deep and complicated for most readers under the age of 17 these days. I personally enjoy reading HP for reasons explaned above, but there isn't much debate over wich is the better book.

~MC