Matn

REVIEW: 6990 Monorail Transport System

indexed.gif

In 1988 Futuron came out. The Space theme after the Classic Space sets had more colours and figures with more details. When I had the chance to buy this monorail set for 50 EUR, I couldn't let it go. Even greater luck came upon me: there where other Futuron and Blacktron sets included. But I'm here to talk about the 6990. Now, I have finally taken pictures of it. If I have to give one word to this set it would be: supermegaawesome. Yes.

So, let's start with the box. It's big, but not as big as today sets from the same price/size. It shows a picture of the important parts and two small pictures: an overall picture and a picture of the 9V-system. In the second picture you can see how good they editted their pictures in those days, the spaceman has a half leg!

img_0390.jpg

img_0391.jpg

The figures are awesome, although I loved it a bit more if LEGO would have put a black one in it, but I guess those were special. Two blue and three yellow spacemen is what you get. And a small spacescooter.

img_0392.jpg

The monorail is, offcourse, the most important and greatest part of the set. It looks very good and futuristic, just the way we love our Space-sets. When you put the monorail on it does not only ride, the little red light goes on and if you turn it, it will flash on and off.

img_0395.jpg

The first part of the monorail has place for one seat, and it has guns or lights on it.

img_0396.jpg

In the back of the first part there are two places: one the put the spacescooter in it and a second one for tools.

img_0397.jpg

The second part, where the 9V-battery is, has place for about three spacemen.

img_0398.jpg

The middle part of the monorail is where the rotation-system stands, here you can see how it works:

img_0399.jpg

There are two bases in the Monorail Transport System-set. The first on is situated 'in the air', higher than the second one and it has 32x16 plate beneath it. You can let the monorail turn and you can also load boxes on the monorail on this base.

img_0400.jpg

img_0401.jpg

The second base stands on a grey 32x32 baseplate. Here you can also let the monorail turn.

img_0403.jpg

It has a nice system where you can turn the base open and where also can upload boxes (it turns forward when you turn the base open). I'll show you some pictures of this system:

img_0404.jpg

img_0407.jpg

It isn't done yet! The 6990 also includes a bigger spacescooter to carry around boxes.

img_0413.jpg

img_0414.jpg

Some pictures of the track:

img_0416.jpg

img_0420.jpg

Here is a picture of the turning-system explained. When you turn a brick (on the turn-tracks) the track pushes a piece of the middle part away:

img_0422.jpg

Three alternative creations:

img_0426.jpg

And here it is, the set in its full glory!

img_0431.jpg

Like I said before, this set is supermegaawesome. I wouldn't want to sell it for any price at this time. If you see it for a cheap price, you shouldn't hesitate to buy it. The 6990 Monorail Transport System includes special elements: the monorail itself, the dark trans-blue windows, the monorailtrack and so on. It has nice figures and vehicles, the bases are build futuristic and just the way they had to be. This set offers so much to a LEGO Space fan.

I hope you enjoyed the review of this "golden oldie".

Like I said before, this set is supermegaawesome.

Says it all, really. :thumbup: This is an epic set in its size and scale, and I think it's much more well designed than the newer Unitron monorail. Even the box packaging was quite impressive, with multiple "featured parts" trays placed on top of each other and the minifigs laid out in a semicircular arrangement in the middle. I got a second set recently off ebay to add to my existing monorail layout.

There were also some very rare parts in this set that were unique to it or only appeared in a service pack, like the trans-blue antennas and canopy extender, the white panels, the gray round arrow tiles and the single-height 9V wire. The later versions of this set (1990) had the wire replaced by the standard double-height kind, as the single-height one was somewhat prone to breaking.

The set also came with a kind of cardboard background to place behind the set. It wasn't very large but was still a nice addition. There is a picture of it here. Did your copy include that?

I didn't notice the half-legged guy before. :laugh: I need to find that on my box.

Wow. Thank you for this great review. This is a set I desperately wanted as a kid, so it was great to get a better look at it. Now that I dictate the terms of my collection, I might look into buying one someday. :classic:

Thanks for the comments. Mania3, if you see one at a (relatively) low price, don't let it go!

Yes, I think that cardboard background is also included in mine, but it's impossible to get it out and not tearing the box apart, everything is taped... But that isn't so bad, it's all about the set. And I didn't knew that of the 9V wires, thanks for the information.

I've heard so much about monorail, but this is the first time I see it. Thank you for showing it in details.

I want a new monorail, a new space line. :classic:

Front

Mania3, if you see one at a (relatively) low price, don't let it go!

What would a relatively low price be? I usually see them with the box for about $150 USD.

Edited by mania3

Thank you very much for that review of a really wonderful space classic. :thumbup:

What else to say... ah, yes:

Monorail... Monorail... Monorail!!! :laugh:

Dance.jpg

Monorail... Monorail... Monorail!!! :laugh:

Say what you will, but it beats the Futuron Escalator to Nowhere. :tongue:

This is one of the greatest LEGO set's ever made. It's size is just immense, as with the design and everything else added. An amazing set, just wish the price wasn't so high. They sell for more than $600 Used, and $1,200 New and Sealed.

This one made my Christmas in 1988. I wanted it SOOOO bad. It was in the Club Z catalogue (one of the early rewards points programs from the Canadian retailer Zellers) and my mom managed to save up enough points. I don't think I've ever ripped wrapping paper faster than when I realized what it was I was opening. It pained me though because we had to go to my grandparents for Christmas lunch and I had to leave it at home unassembled!!! I spent countless hours with this set. When the extra track became available I ordered a pack. After the Airport Shuttle came out they released a track back that had switches, I saved up my money and eventually got 2. I would build all sorts of elaborate layouts. One thing I really appreciated about the switches was that the train itself could switch them if they approached and the switch was set for the opposite track. This allowed for loops to be created that turned the train around and back in the opposite direction.

Great review. I would love to pick up another one if I ever had the chance. Futron, Blacktron I, M-Tron & Space Police I were my golden age of Lego. This review brought back so many happy memories. I've set mine back up a few times for my nephews and it has provided many more hours of fun.

Good review Matn, you captured the Monorail-feeling well :sweet:! I don´t have that set but I do have a 6991 and a shitload of monorail tracks and stuff, and it´s a fun system to build with.

This was one of the sets that was included in the giant box of Lego I got when I was about 7 years old (see http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78110 if you're curious), and it was the only one my parents managed to get me the instructions for.

After I unearthed my Legos from the basement recently and built my Blacktron Message Intercept Base for the first time ever, I didn't hesitate long and also built up this beauty again. I'm missing a few minor parts parts, though, with one of the round grey plates with the arrow being the only one that will be hard to track down. I also have one track expansion set, but so far didn't use up all the tracks. Apparently I thought it a good idea to doodle around on two few of the track pieces with red, water-resistant pen, I'll need to find a way to get that off :hmpf_bad:

I agree it's one of the greatest space sets of all time, it has tons of play value, really nice features like the rotating part of the ground station (I love the look of those great transparent domes). I would love to get my hands on one of the switch tracks expansions that were introduced later with the second monorail space set.

To my amazement the little motor still works like a charm after all these years, even though I spent a lot of time playing with it when I was a kid (and the very abrupt changes of direction the special track pieces evoke can't be too good for it) and then it spent around one and a half decades in a basement.

Great review, really brought me back. My parents bought me a "big" lego set every year for Christmas during my Lego golden era, and this was my big set for Christmas 1988 (I believe). I was really into the space sets at the time, and when the Futuron stuff started to get printed in the Lego catalogs, I had to have it! I remember thinking how cool the helmets with the new visors and the zip up spacesuits on the minifigs were. I probably started asking for the monorail set over the summer sometime so that Santa was sure to hear :grin:

I know this is in my parents basement 100% complete, with original instructions and box, as I just went through a bunch of my old toys. This motivates me to go rescue it and get it set up and running!

Edited by naf

I have the chance to get a used copy of this set for $250 - I think I'm just going to have to say "yes" to it ...

I was never in Futuron. No special reason. But what an AWESOME set! If I knew it by then, I think things would have been different

Nice review :) I always wanted a monorail when I was a kid, but couldn't afford it. My friend had the airport shuttle one and he never played with it, that as*hole :) his parents always bought him all the big sets and they just ended up in this big chest he had in his room. Then one year my family went to Germany and I picked up some fireworks that were illegal were we lived. He saw them wanted to trade them for a suitcase full of Lego from his chest. I agreed to his trade suggestion and ended up with some great stuff, but also a lot off crap that to this day just takes up space. Like those pirate ship hulls. I just now realized I am rambling on and on at it has nothing to do with this awesome review. Oh, know I now, I didn't get a single piece if his monorail. Now realizing that I am 32 years old, and I am already that annoying old man on the bus that tells stories with no point from his youth. Scary...

Well, I'm glad to say that I *did* end up buying this one! From a fellow NELUGer, and I picked it up at last weekend's BrickFair New England fan festival in Manchester NH.

Since the convention had an area for "Classic Space", I got to work building it, and set it up for display. I had it running for parts of the show. Having built it and experienced it at last, I can indeed agree with the review that it is an awesome set, and I am very glad to have been able to acquire it!

I bought this on impulse on received & built it today, great set!

To test it I pulled a battery from one of the smoke detectors in my house… was that wrong? :blush:

This and also #6991 are on my list...I will get them both at last, cos my mainly CS LEGO space complex is not complete without both of them :grin:

And nice review, of course, including some pics I never seen elsewhere (I mean box and objects detailed photos) :wink::thumbup:

Super mega awesome says it all! Thanks for the review. I really love the monorail and combined with space it's perfect!

I'd love to have a monorail of any kind, but never did snag one. The closest I came was buying a monorail track expansion set from Toys R Us years ago on final clearance. I eventually sold this set to someone online, so I don't even have that anymore.

I have the completes themes of Futuron, Blacktron, SP1, Mtron, Blacktron II, SP2, Ice Planet, Unitron and Spyrius. So I have both 6990 and 6991...and the monorails are great. And as great as 6990 is, 6991 is even better in my opinion. I am actually working on a large display for all the above "good guys" and the monorails are anchor sets to it.