Sign in to follow this  
Kakihara Smile

Solitary Building

As I was sitting at my desk getting all my castle stuff back out the other day I got to wondering... Do you typically build legos with another person or do you build alone?

I understand that there are communities, groups, and such that do it occasionaly. However, I got to wondering about the everyday building. I used to build with my sister all the time when I was young. Even now, my mate seems less than interested in legos and would probably never build them. So I pondered... Do you build alone or with another person?

I usually build on my own. My girlfriend isn't really into the LEGO hobby but she does fool around with parts not being used when I get a new set, it sometimes annoys me. I am trying to find a theme she would like because I know she would enjoy it if she had a chance to build with some.

I build alone, or as alone as possible (sometimes my 7yo sib hangs around watching) its my de-stress method, so I prefer the peace and quite of solo building.

Most times I build alone, but sometimes when a friend of my is here we build together..But sometimes I have an very special helper..My cat :grin:

I usually build alone, as my Lego area isn't conducive to more than one person. Visualize a square. On one side of the square is a desk, parallel to that is a chair, and the other two sides are boxes of parts. I clamber over the right side to get building. A second person can't fit in. Despite this, my sister joins in every now and then.

I build alone, or as alone as possible (sometimes my 7yo sib hangs around watching) its my de-stress method, so I prefer the peace and quite of solo building.

I think it is a de-stress method for alot of people, myself included ;) I was actually wondering if that was one of the reasons a person would build alone even if they had the option of building with someone else (like you do).

This is a very unique thread. I have never responded to such a thread before. I am a lone modeler. For me, building is more of an art form. This is a breakdown of how I build. When I buy a new set, I will build it right away. Then I will study the model and see what areas I can modify. I study the parts that have come with the set so I know what new parts I have to work with. Then I will take the set to my "studio" where I have my extra parts. Here I will take the model apart and then rebuild the model to my own scale and modifications. So you can see why I am a solitary builder. The last time I built with another person was when I bought the Statue of Liberty set. This was a great set to work on with others. But when it comes to my own modeling, I prefer to work alone w/ music.

Model On!!

I build by myself due to the fact that others distract me in mid build.

I build by myself due to the fact that others distract me in mid build.

I usually build alone. But, if the model is particoularly intersting or big, I get visits by my sister and my father, who at times offer to help (for example, last december we built the Holiday 50/50 me and my father; that was easy: we took a booklet each and we built 3 wagons per person :classic: ).

LuxorV

When I was a child I used to often build together with a friend of mine. We'd get together almost every day after school and do a bit of building or we'd play with whatever we'd built. Nowadays I do most of my building on my own.

Lately I have been doing a bit of collaborative building with Lego Monster-a fellow brickish member who lives not too far away. We seem to work well together: our minifig scale coach, The Plymouth Rock hot rod and The Sinister limo.

It's fun to build something together with an other builder who knows what he's doing and I think that either of us could not have produced these without the other. The minifig coach is an example. If I would have built a coach it wouldn't have had such a nice front window and if Ed would have built it, it wouldn't have curved stripes down its flanks. I think both features add to making it a MOC we can be proud of.

Cheers,

Ralph

I'm not very good building in a team. I've tried before but didn't like it.

On other issues, this should be in LEGO News & General Discussion. Community is just for stuff that's non-LEGO, or only vagually LEGO.

I mainly build alone with my LEGO bricks but with my brother I play with his as well, he can't build his own sets yet.

I usually build alone, and have a desk to build in my room, but when I get a really big set, and my father is home, I build it with him. But the last few big sets I've gotten I had to build alone because he was deployed.

Normally I build alone. My brother used to build with me sometimes, and I know he liked it, but his interests have shifted. I can remember that I left the caboose of Holiday Train 10173 for him to build, but that was quite a while ago. Also quite a while ago I can remember a little competition we had: I had bought Santa Fe cars 10022 and 10025. I said that the quickest builder was the best builder. Mean as I am I gave him the set with more bricks in it on purpose, but he won nevertheless. *lol*

Edited by legotrainfan

When I was a child I used to often build together with a friend of mine. We'd get together almost every day after school and do a bit of building or we'd play with whatever we'd built. Nowadays I do most of my building on my own.

I doubt anyone who is not Lego inclined could keep up with your standard of building nowadays.

Also' that sinister limo looks like it is based on the Kenedy shooting.

I doubt anyone who is not Lego inclined could keep up with your standard of building nowadays.

Also' that sinister limo looks like it is based on the Kenedy shooting.

Thanks. I don't think I could build a helicopter or jet together with anybody else, but when it comes to the more 'freestyle' stuff it can help to have a creative person around who knows his way around bricks. Lego monster and I do have some tricks to teach each other.

Before we built the limo I had built a few five-wide cars and Ed and I decided one afternoon when I was over at his place that a stretched limo would be fun. We later realised that it would be just the sort of vehicle that Dr. Sinister would use: hence the name and, consequently, a guest episode of the Grunts comic. I don't think that either of us thought about the Kennedy assasination.

In the last week or so we've been collaborating on another project -the biggest to date. When Lego Monster has taken pictures, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Thanks. I don't think I could build a helicopter or jet together with anybody else, but when it comes to the more 'freestyle' stuff it can help to have a creative person around who knows his way around bricks. Lego monster and I do have some tricks to teach each other.

Before we built the limo I had built a few five-wide cars and Ed and I decided one afternoon when I was over at his place that a stretched limo would be fun. We later realised that it would be just the sort of vehicle that Dr. Sinister would use: hence the name and, consequently, a guest episode of the Grunts comic. I don't think that either of us thought about the Kennedy assasination.

In the last week or so we've been collaborating on another project -the biggest to date. When Lego Monster has taken pictures, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ah, so you've mad it with Ed :thumbup: I really like it!

And I wanna know about that project now! Please? Please? :sweet:

OK, when I was younger and my LEGO lived in my room I built with my sister, we'd make town plans and roleplay little stories. I would sometimes have a building contest with my other brother and his friend (to prove it isn't just the parts that make the MOC) and have castle battles with LEGO built seige weapons.

But as I said in my earlier post I mostly build on my own. Once in a while I build with my little brother (He is a fantastic builder) or my friend and sister come in the loft and play with my minifigs while I build.

Im all alone :cry_sad: No one in my house does it with me or has intrest in it. but i guss im fine with that :classic:

I usually build alone that way I can take my time, and I have all the pieces and space to myself so that my MOCs can come out better, my little brother is the only one in my family with any interest in building Lego but he's way to annoying to build with so I usually don't let him :hmpf: .

Edited by MacK