Oky

Star Wars

Hmmm. I don't mind them trying things out but could they up the presentation quality a bit? Is Star Wars not making them enough money to cover that presentation cost?

22 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

@ToaDraco I read your comments about ship design in the Lego Star Wars 2017 Rumors thread, and the apparent lack of innovation between ROTJ and TFA, compared to the massive technology shift between ROTS and ANH. I decided to pen my thoughts to that here instead of derail the other thread.

I think Star Wars technology logically has followed and mirrored real history. In WWII aviation went from prop propellors to jet airplanes and V1 rockets. In comparison, modern era changes have been less dramatic. We are still flying F-16's almost 40 years after that airframe was introduced, while it's replacement the F-35 is rolling out slowly yet to fully replace the F-16. 

How does this apply to Star Wars? From Attack of the Clones to Return of the Jedi; the Galaxy is in a constant state of war. A growing Empire had to replenish it's fighting force, and constantly sought out new designs. Rebels had to scour for odd ball fighters to use, and got a wide variety of strange fighters for their forces. Conflict drove innovation.

In comparison in the new Canon, the 30+ years between ROTJ to TFA is rather peaceful. The T-70 X-Wing was introduced at the end of the Galactic Civil War, with it's successor vehicles relying on the same airframe (I think a T-80 is shown in the Poor Dameron comic and it looks identical to the T-70). Meanwhile the First Order was building up their army, yet rather than invent new designs they updated the proven TIE airframe (much like how Russia still fly's Soyuz capsules, or how the F-15 was modified by the US to become F-15E ground attack units). Why waste resources on a new fighter airframe when resources are thin and being taken by the massive Starkiller project? 

I think then seeing classic Star Wars ships in the Sequel Trilogy makes sense considering the inter-war peace during that era. With the galaxy in chaos again though I hope by episode IX or the following Trilogy (Sequel of Sequel Trilogy?) we get to see new designs.

That is true and makes sense but with an entire galaxy full of different ships, it gets frustrating seeing the same ones over and over with little change. They are primarily relying on OT nostalgia to sell their ship designs but I want to see more innovation and creativity. Even this new Resistance Bomber looks like the front half of a medical frigate and the Resistance Troop Transport was essentially a heavily modified B-Wing. Some of the few new designs like the Quadjumper and Eravana appeared VERY briefly and were hardly memorable. In the PT and Clone Wars there were constantly new ship designs(and yes I know in universe they constantly had to innovate to get an edge in the war). I'm just so sick of X-Wings and A-Wings and Y-Wings and all the TIE Fighters, I want to see some truly new designs. The U-Wing was a good start even though I wasn't a huge fan of the design.

On 22/06/2017 at 3:33 PM, Jedi-Bendu said:

The last talk Kennedy and Miller/Lord had (and the reason they got fired)

KK: "The lead in the Han Solo movie is a strong female right?"
Lord/Miller: "No, why?"
KK: "You're fired!"

How about a 100$ they are going to shoe horn Emila Clarke as the de facto lead of the movie?

Kennedy may be a control freak but I don't think she was involved alone in this, Lawrence Kasdan wanted them gone hard and probably pushed her. 

Screw Disney either way.

@AyliffeMakit Oh my god that trailer, can they shove their agenda any deeper please?

George must be laughing hard at his fans giving him shit for the prequels, look at this landfill...

Edited by RetroInferno

@AyliffeMakit "oh dear" sums it up well enough. 

1 hour ago, RetroInferno said:

AyliffeMakit Oh my god that trailer, can they shove their agenda any deeper please?

Yeah what's up with the all-women theme? Nothing at all against women, just that it feels a bit forced (if you will :wink:

I'm okay with them reaching out to gals. They've noticed the females seem to like Star Wars too. 

On 6/26/2017 at 8:31 PM, xboxtravis7992 said:

I think Star Wars technology logically has followed and mirrored real history. In WWII aviation went from prop propellors to jet airplanes and V1 rockets. In comparison, modern era changes have been less dramatic. We are still flying F-16's almost 40 years after that airframe was introduced, while it's replacement the F-35 is rolling out slowly yet to fully replace the F-16.

Some good points. However, I still feel they could've gotten a bit more creative. This is still a work of fiction after all, not reality. And so far it doesn't look like The Last Jedi will offer much new either aside from that lazy bomber design.

12 hours ago, AyliffeMakit said:

oh dear

Yeah... We already know that these are basically just glorified doll commercials, but couldn't they have at least put a little bit of effort into the animation? It looks like they went with the cheapest form of flash animation so that they can save money on the advertising. It looks like they are trying to copy Genndy Tartakovski's Clone Wars style, but that had WAY better animation than this. It's cool if they want to produce some Star Wars content more aimed at girls, but this halfhearted attempt is not the way to do it. :sadnew:

13 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

@AyliffeMakit "oh dear" sums it up well enough. 

Yeah what's up with the all-women theme? Nothing at all against women, just that it feels a bit forced (if you will :wink:

It's not the hazard, Disney has an agenda to push. 

I'm up for ''diversity'' in movies, when it makes sense and the characters have a background and not forced. Unlike Disney is doing right now with God sent Rey. 

Having read up on a lot about what happened with the Han Solo movie, Disney and Kathleen Kennedy were more then justified to fire those two stooges. In fact from what I've come to understand is that they were given many opportunitis to fix their behavior but they wouldn't so Disney''s hand's were forced.

I dont feel bad one bit. I'm studying to be a filmaker and what they did, especially their work ethic, is embarrassing to all of us in the field.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:26 PM, Forresto said:

Having read up on a lot about what happened with the Han Solo movie, Disney and Kathleen Kennedy were more then justified to fire those two stooges. In fact from what I've come to understand is that they were given many opportunitis to fix their behavior but they wouldn't so Disney''s hand's were forced.

I dont feel bad one bit. I'm studying to be a filmaker and what they did, especially their work ethic, is embarrassing to all of us in the field.

That's harsh heh.

I still am not convinced. First off Disney should have known about their style. It's their bad that they hired them at all (and apparently had concerned from day 1... yet still hired them). Second off these guys legit make AMAZING films. I don't question that maybe they weren't compatible with the type of work that Disney wanted. But I would say we can't know that the movies would actually be BAD. And three, it seems like a pissing contest to me. The GREAT directors wanted some leeway and wanted to do things their way and the GREAT writers wanted them to keep to the script more. Two groups of doubtlessly very TALENTED people sadly couldn't work together. I can't help but think if the directors were a bit more respectful of the script and the writers were a bit more open to some extra experiments that the film would get as good as it could ever get, but they couldn't meet in the middle because both groups were stubborn as heck.

There's so many rumors flying around about the movie basically being Ace Ventura or something but I'm going to still treat those as rumors and stick to the facts and what we know. And I don't think those guys would make it THAT ridiculous... rumors have a way of being exaggerated.

But ultimately we won't really know. Even if the movie is amazing we can't say it wouldn't have been amazing in a different way. And even if the movie is terrible we can't say the other way would have been better. Unless a lot of info and some scenes get shown showing the ridiculousness we probably will never know! If Han Solo starts coming out of a Rhino's back-end I'd be concerned though...

The first of the shorts is now online and it's about as lame as expected.

10 minutes ago, Umbra-Manis said:

That was almost sleep inducing. I want to know how much money they're wasting on this...

The answer is always peanuts, compared to how much Star Wars rakes in for them. 

On 7/4/2017 at 7:05 AM, Oky said:

The first of the shorts is now online and it's about as lame as expected.

Eek, that's really lame.

If you thought that was bad, you should see the one with Leia. They dishonor Carrie Fisher's legacy by literally reducing her role to dead weight. :hmpf_bad: And it still doesn't explain why the Ewoks have human-sized garments or know how braid hair. This is even worse than the Ewoks cartoon. Say what you will about that show, at least it had decent animation. This is so sad coming from Disney. :sadnew: There's a second short with Rey and one with Ahsoka, and while they're not as insulting as this, they're pretty lame too.

While you guys were stuck watching the animated shorts this week I was at camp reading Star Wars: Bloodline (I read Star Wars: Thrawn over the weekend before I left too). Both are excellent books, Bloodline is the best characterization of Leia I have seen. Thrawn is a great addition to the Canon story which simultaneously would have been a great Legends book (is it possibly the canon in both Canon and Legends? Timothy Zahn is a genius if so!)

3 hours ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

While you guys were stuck watching the animated shorts this week I was at camp reading Star Wars: Bloodline (I read Star Wars: Thrawn over the weekend before I left too). Both are excellent books, Bloodline is the best characterization of Leia I have seen. Thrawn is a great addition to the Canon story which simultaneously would have been a great Legends book (is it possibly the canon in both Canon and Legends? Timothy Zahn is a genius if so!)

For me the Thrawn novel works as a prequel to the Thrawn Trilogy as much as it works as a prequel to Thrawn in Rebels.   

Actually part of why I hope Thrawn survives Rebels is because technically all of the prequel work for the OT such as Rebels and Rogue One, still work with much of the EU such as the Thrawn books with little contradiction. Okay maybe more then a little contradiction here or there but to me the EU is very much an alternate universe like the new  Star Trek movies are, existing alongside the canon universe. 

I've always been kind of a movies and TV series guy, but the other day I bought the Obi-Wan & Anakin and Han Solo comic books, and I must say I really enjoyed them! Hope to also get some novels another time.

Force of Destiny had the potential to be good but it just seems like a reel of deleted scenes from all the movies. Hopefully it's something of a side project and Filoni has some more ideas up his sleeve, An Old Republic one would be great.

Has anyone seen this incredible parody album of Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band?

I recommend the entire album they did especially Imperial Holes and Being From the Spaceport of Mos Eisley. 

On 7/8/2017 at 0:37 PM, Forresto said:

For me the Thrawn novel works as a prequel to the Thrawn Trilogy as much as it works as a prequel to Thrawn in Rebels.   

Actually part of why I hope Thrawn survives Rebels is because technically all of the prequel work for the OT such as Rebels and Rogue One, still work with much of the EU such as the Thrawn books with little contradiction. Okay maybe more then a little contradiction here or there but to me the EU is very much an alternate universe like the new  Star Trek movies are, existing alongside the canon universe. 

The only contradiction to Legends I could find in Thrawn was the lack of references to Outbound Flight in any direct way... Outbound Flight is actually the only Legends Thrawn story I have read, so I was hoping for Zahn to hint that the project happened in Canon too. Especially seeing the First Order and Snoke's roots to the Unknown Regions (with Bloodline even referencing a group of warriors allied with the FO who traveled beyond the galaxy), it seems Outbound Flight could easily be modified to fit the new Canon, replacing any references to the Vong in the Legends story to hints of Snoke and the "unknown evils" of wild space on the fringe of the Galaxy...

When the Disney-Lucasfilm purchase was first announced in 2012, I felt Disney's track record with Star Wars themed rides in their parks was really impressive and a testament that they had the chops to handle the whole franchise. Last night we got the unveiling of the high detailed full model of the coming Star Wars Land to the theme parks, and I am pretty darn impressed! I want this model in Lego now! :wink:

http://www.starwars.com/news/d23-doug-chiang-interview-star-wars-themed-land-disney-parks

EDIT: Also I found a great video tour of the model!

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Anyone worried about The Last Jedi, and the lack of advertising. We are 5 months away from the movie, and the only trailer, we got was the teaser trailer from April 2017. I don't know if Disney is playing it safe or if Lucasfilm is keeping them chained up to avoid hyping the movie.