There are very nice troll armies. I'm not a fan of the new CMF orc, it's too goofy for me.

19 hours ago, MAB said:

There are very nice troll armies. I'm not a fan of the new CMF orc, it's too goofy for me.

It's a troll from the old fantasy line.  So it's not really an orc.  The face print is really nice and you can take the jaw piece off(if that's the goofy part you are referring to) you don't have to leave that on as it does look like an orc from WOW.  The fig is really nice though, has good printing.  

2 hours ago, zoth33 said:

It's a troll from the old fantasy line.  So it's not really an orc.  The face print is really nice and you can take the jaw piece off(if that's the goofy part you are referring to) you don't have to leave that on as it does look like an orc from WOW.  The fig is really nice though, has good printing.  

I've been a lego fan long enough to have the original trolls and it is not the same. This new one doesn't fit too well with them. Even though the face is similar, the skin is different and they wear Chima style outfits. They cannot mix any body parts with existing trolls due to the change in colour.  If there was a good range of other parts to mix and match to mix up an army a bit, they'd be more interesting. But an army of them all looking the same makes them a bit boring. Of course you can mix up weapons and headgear.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

I've been a lego fan long enough to have the original trolls and it is not the same. This new one doesn't fit too well with them. Even though the face is similar, the skin is different and they wear Chima style outfits. They cannot mix any body parts with existing trolls due to the change in colour.  If there was a good range of other parts to mix and match to mix up an army a bit, they'd be more interesting. But an army of them all looking the same makes them a bit boring. Of course you can mix up weapons and headgear.

I feel validated, finally somebody that shares my view on this new CMF troll!

From the one CMF troll I got I found the shield and cape to merge fairly well with the older sand green trolls. If I could get just a couple of more shields it wouldn't look quite as out of place, though.

The head (minus the jaw) is really nice. For added variety you can use various armour pieces to cover up the common (and a bit silly looking) torso print. I think that the toe+knee prints are a real detraction. You can mix-n-match parts with the olive green CMF goblin, use the Moria orc hairpiece, or some olive Neimoidian features.

But there's no way that sand green orcs and olive green orcs look any good together. Gotta keep em separate.

Edited by Artanis I

On 3/4/2023 at 2:52 AM, MAB said:

You said they look goofy.  What is goofy about them?  I have 18 of the old trolls.  I was saying you can take the jaw piece off so they don't look like orcs from WOW.  I actually don't mind the color difference it gives my clan more variety.  I'm actually going to use them as a sort of special force or maybe as their own group altogether not sure yet as I don't have my home for them built yet.  I was just saying it's technically a troll per lego's definition of the character.  You obviously can make it whatever you want.  The jaw piece just screams WOW and makes me wonder if Lego has something WOW related down the line as they still have a partnership with blizzard I believe.  

On 3/4/2023 at 6:35 AM, Artanis I said:

The head (minus the jaw) is really nice. For added variety you can use various armour pieces to cover up the common (and a bit silly looking) torso print. I think that the toe+knee prints are a real detraction. You can mix-n-match parts with the olive green CMF goblin, use the Moria orc hairpiece, or some olive Neimoidian features.

But there's no way that sand green orcs and olive green orcs look any good together. Gotta keep em separate.

That's your personal opinion and that's fine.  I was just pointing out that you can modify the fig, take off the jaw, add a helm, etc to make it whatever you want.  They are easily customizable.  I also have about 30 of the cmf goblin but I am keeping them as a separate group and I also have some of lavender ones from Ninjago that look good as a different type of goblin.  

The original question was about is anyone army building with them as the poster hadn't seen any armies here.

I think there are two reasons that there are not so many armies built with them. (1) the market has decided they are the expensive ones, which means army building is going to be expensive and (2) any army built with them is going to look similar but not fit in with the original fantasy era trolls.

Especially when you combine those two reasons together, I can understand why there are few armies of them. Sure you can remove the jaw and place a new helmet on them but that doesn't really add anything new to army building. Plus the jaw is the part that makes this one look unique compared to past figures. Removing it to make them look a bit like past trolls seems a waste of the one unique part in the set. If I was going to army build from CMF again, I'd save my money and wait for an army builder that added something I don't already have. But for people that don't already have any of the original Fantasy Era trolls, I can see that they might want this one.

Personally I think the new orcs are pretty great, mostly because they don't have reddish brown torsos that disintegrate if you look at them funny.

Here's my modest little warband:

Ullrsv5.jpeg

I'd make the army bigger but I've been more interested in the Falconer.

4 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

Personally I think the new orcs are pretty great, mostly because they don't have reddish brown torsos that disintegrate if you look at them funny.

Here's my modest little warband:

Ullrsv5.jpeg

I'd make the army bigger but I've been more interested in the Falconer.

Looks great. Like how each warrior has own unique look. So true about the old orc torsos and arms breaking 😔. One of the concerns I have with the new rivendell set. Alot of brown of bricks. Every time I place I say a little prayer "hopefully this piece doesn't break within a year." 

1 hour ago, Shroffy123 said:

Looks great. Like how each warrior has own unique look. So true about the old orc torsos and arms breaking 😔. One of the concerns I have with the new rivendell set. Alot of brown of bricks. Every time I place I say a little prayer "hopefully this piece doesn't break within a year." 

They are meant to have solved the dodgy reddish brown issue. I haven't had any modern ones break but then I never had any original ones break either.

Nice work Shroffy.  I hope I can mix the fantasy era trolls, CMF orcs, and this Master of the Mountain Ninjago guy.  I got a ton of these pretty cheap in a polybag.  

njo603.original.png

What is that torso on the orc with the Jack Sparrow hairpiece?  Love that look!

Like @Sir Dano, I go for variety over quantity (though I do like seeing the large collections of others').

Here is my Orc King's army. It includes allies in addition to orcs: goblins, goblinoids, kobolds, ogres and even a war wyvern!

Not all the parts are purist.

In addition to this army, I also have an army of Tolkien orcs, goblins and uruks (not shown).

orc_king_army_1.jpg 

orc_king_army_2.jpg

orc_king_army_3.jpg

orc_king_army_4.jpg

orc_king_army_5.jpg

orc_king_army_6.jpg

Well YOU are the king of orcs! That certainly is an impressive bunch you put together!

Im coming out of a dark period of no building. Splurged on 2 90th anniversary castles and 10 3in1 Castle MOC boxes. Now I’ve returned to my crown army (with attachments.)  Work in progress pictures coming.

On 3/20/2023 at 5:03 PM, AmperZand said:

Here is my Orc King's army. It includes allies in addition to orcs: goblins, goblinoids, kobolds, ogres and even a war wyvern!

Very nice, I like the variety.

It reminded me I have a couple of those troll bigfigs stashed away, may as well give my orcs some heavy artillery. Also found my kaadu, thought they'd make neat mounts for my orc cavalry.

r59fpej.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

It reminded me I have a couple of those troll bigfigs stashed away, may as well give my orcs some heavy artillery. Also found my kaadu, thought they'd make neat mounts for my orc cavalry.

r59fpej.jpeg

Where did you find lightsaber hilts in reddish brown?

6 minutes ago, psh said:

Where did you find lightsaber hilts in reddish brown?

I'm not a purist. :wink:

5 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

I'm not a purist. :wink:

I can't "blame" you given that Lego does not offer very simple recolours. With bars, lightsaber hilts in a suitable colour, and part 24482 in suitable colours (flat silver and p.d. gray) we could put together nice spears and pikes.

27 minutes ago, psh said:

With bars, lightsaber hilts in a suitable colour, and part 24482 in suitable colours (flat silver and p.d. gray) we could put together nice spears and pikes.

Yeah that would be great, unfortunately from what I've seen even other brands don't seem to be interested in making that spike part in flat silver or pearl dark grey.

Hello, I’ve been collecting Lego for years and as a fan of the Total War series I’m a natural fan of medieval armies. 

Here are a couple of my armies preparing to fight, mid battle or during a siege. Some of the characters are ‘lying down’ this is because I don’t have enough baseplates and standing them up everyday takes a long time. 

Edit: I had to annihilate the quality of these images to make them upload  

81896229-39B7-4E18-BB2F-B0618BD8FDE1.jpg

83CC58B0-B8C9-44D6-9936-2892EC186EDA.jpg

053F398B-0615-4AE1-AAC0-71B86B5B07B1.jpg

2B922BA7-EA11-4715-88A5-48F8B7FAF391.jpg

Edited by The_Morcian_Emperor

On 3/20/2023 at 9:08 PM, Arjo said:

Well YOU are the king of orcs! That certainly is an impressive bunch you put together!

Thank you! Glad you like them. Of course, if I really were the king of orcs, I wouldn't say 'Thank you' - I'd probably say something rude :wink:

On 3/21/2023 at 9:19 PM, Sir Dano said:

Thanks. I predominantly go for variety, not quantity (though I like seeing other collectors' massed ranks of duplicates). The only minifigures in my display collection that are in duplicate are some uruks and some Classic Spacemen. Otherwise, my 800 or so display collection minifigures are all different.

Those kaadu as orc mounts are very imaginative. I picture them chasing down enemies who are escaping the battlefield.

My not purist Demon Queen army with individual and small group shots:

demon_1.jpg

demon_2.jpg

demon_3.jpg

demon_4.jpg

demon_5.jpg

demon_6.jpg