Teddy

WIP modular castle

That is one very cool creation there! Must take more than a few bley bricks to get the whole thing built! I really like the use of the coloured plates, they do give the walls a lot more realism and texture. :thumbup:

I really like the gears driving the door/drawbridge and I must have a go at building some of those crosses too

Looking forward to more pics and thanks for sharing.

Dear all,

after some discussion with Captain green hair I decided to add some extra colored plates.

Personnaly, I think it turned out as a good mix between adding texture, while not cluttering the wall sections.

I will be looking forward to your feedback as it has been positive and motivating.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Side view:

21-08-08_3nr2.jpg

Front view:

21-08-08_1nr2.jpg

Another side view:

21-08-08_2nr2.jpg

The colored bricks definitely add something to the overall look, but I can't decide whether I like it or not. They tend to drag the eye away from some of the cooler points of the MoC. They definitely help break up the giant grey wall, but something I can't quite place irks me about them. :sceptic:

Are the walls made entirely of bley or do they mix in some of the older light grey as well? Obviously it's just my opinion, but I've found that the two mixed together help to break up the overwhelming greyness just enough without forcing your eye away from the details.

None the less, this is very impressive.

The colored bricks definitely add something to the overall look, but I can't decide whether I like it or not. They tend to drag the eye away from some of the cooler points of the MoC. They definitely help break up the giant grey wall, but something I can't quite place irks me about them. :sceptic:

Are the walls made entirely of bley or do they mix in some of the older light grey as well? Obviously it's just my opinion, but I've found that the two mixed together help to break up the overwhelming greyness just enough without forcing your eye away from the details.

Dear Fatespuppet,

thanks for your reply!

I guess the thing that irks you is the use of some colored plates.

I think the colored plates look better in real life than on the photo, I probably should buy myself a descent camera. :wink:

I only used sand blue and sand red, very light gray and dark bley as plates.

These colors are close to the light bley color and blend in nicely in the wall.

In real life you notice them, but on the same time you dont.

If you know what I mean.

But its good to know people are keeping a critical eye on my MOCs.

This can only make them better. :classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Well that's fantastic. Makes me consider breaking up my town and going back to Castle building :cry_happy:

Dear Calvin,

thanks for the compliment! :classic:

I just took the liberty to look at your amazing town. It is really amazing! :thumbup:

I noticed you have two black castle structures in there as well.

Please dont break up that beautyful town at my expense.

However, you could add a nice museum-castle for your citizens to visit. :wink:

Kind regards,

Teddy

An impressive, smooth and clever construction, and the including of some different colored plates add up a lot

to the overall very realistic appearance of that wonderful babe. The scheming of the inner rooms looks also

very fine, especially the one above the gate. All you need now, I guess, is some fitting interior

like a kitchen, stables, living rooms and so on. Magnificent! :thumbup:

An impressive castle you've got there Teddy.

It looks like a huge construction :oh3:

I like the walls but I think there could be a little more colour in them. Just to give the castle that ancient and weathered look.

But only just a little.

Anyway I'll be following your projects pretty closely since you now got two amazing projects underway :wub:

Greetings,

Errorist

An impressive castle you've got there Teddy.

It looks like a huge construction :oh3:

I like the walls but I think there could be a little more colour in them. Just to give the castle that ancient and weathered look.

But only just a little.

Anyway I'll be following your projects pretty closely since you now got two amazing projects underway :wub:

Greetings,

Errorist

Dear Errorist,

thanks for the great compliment! :classic:

I've tried to make some scenery, but I'm running out of table space for my MOCs.

I have not made the scenery modular, so the castle can only fit in one way.

This kind of ruins the modular idea.

If anybody has some suggestions regarding modular scenery I would be very interested.

Kind regards,

Teddy

24-08-08_1844nr2.jpg

24-08-08_1845nr2.jpg

24-08-08_1843nr2.jpg

Dear Fatespuppet,

your remark got me to rethink the color scheme a bit.

After looking at the photos i noticed the sand blue does distract a little bit more than the other colors.

Therefore, I replaced the sand blue bricks with dark bley ones.

Please tell me what you think.

Kind regards,

Teddy

25-08-08_2nr2.jpg

25-08-08_1nr2.jpg

Edited by Teddy

Wow! That castle is looking beautiful. So well made, I love the studless river, and the massive, imposing look. The dark bley pieces fettered throughout serve nicely to make it look real too. The way you've decorated it, with the flags and weapons ois awesome too, the whole thing looks so much like a real castle.

Thanks for sharing, I hope it continues, it's certainly given me some inspiration for my Wayne Manor.

Batbrick Away@! :devil:

I think it's excellent. The added colors don't bother me now so perhaps it was those light blues after all. Twas only a minor gripe though, but I must say I'm impressed with how fast you make changes. The river(moat?) is also a nice touch.

What is the intent on a modular castle at that size, are you trying to create something others could add to at a lego event or is it simply part of a challange to yourself of some kind?

Personally the scale and realism ruins it for me. While it does look impressive and is surely more correct in keeping with actual castles it doesn't look or feel like the modular lego castles of old. Which is fine for you of course but I prefer an older style and much more color. So try not to let my comments put you off in anyway.

If you are looking to create modular landscapes I would suggest working on square baseplates and leave areas purposely flat and blank while other areas woould be allowed variation. Leave all you plant life off until the very last step in putting it together. Of course a true castle would have little to no plant life near it unless part of a garden. Part of a real castles defense was a tree/shrubless area near the wall to allow more warning of oncoming threats.

This looks like a military castle and not a place called home for a king, you should consider adding a keep to the inner court.

Nice build altogether, and the colored plates really added a lot, good choice.

What is the intent on a modular castle at that size, are you trying to create something others could add to at a lego event or is it simply part of a challange to yourself of some kind?

Personally the scale and realism ruins it for me. While it does look impressive and is surely more correct in keeping with actual castles it doesn't look or feel like the modular lego castles of old. Which is fine for you of course but I prefer an older style and much more color. So try not to let my comments put you off in anyway.

If you are looking to create modular landscapes I would suggest working on square baseplates and leave areas purposely flat and blank while other areas woould be allowed variation. Leave all you plant life off until the very last step in putting it together. Of course a true castle would have little to no plant life near it unless part of a garden. Part of a real castles defense was a tree/shrubless area near the wall to allow more warning of oncoming threats.

This looks like a military castle and not a place called home for a king, you should consider adding a keep to the inner court.

Nice build altogether, and the colored plates really added a lot, good choice.

Dear SuvieD,

currently I am designing a keep. But this will take some time. I am planning to make the castle more or less square/rectangular with four of those round towers on each corner and maybe some towers inbetween, something like Bodiam castle maybe. I chose the modular format as an experiment, to look at the possibilities of modular building and to find a good baseplate format. Another reason is that as a kid the bigger castles where a bit out of my price league and i always hoped for sets of corner-towers, wall-sections, and gatehouses so that i could build a castle slowly.

I really hope this could turn into something others could add to, that would be just magnificint.

It would be perfect if all the castle builders together could come up with something like Carcasonne in France for an event. :wub:

carcassonne2.jpg

Probably that is just me dreaming. :wink:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Dear all,

I made some changes to the wall sections.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edit on 29 august: New photos: new colors to base, and a new portcullis idea I saw in Kris1234 his Brickshelf folder.

some angles:

29-08-08_2100.jpg

test1.jpg

29-08-08_1nr2.jpg

29-08-08_2nr2.jpg

29-08-08_3nr2.jpg

Edited by Teddy

Dear all,

I made some changes to the wall sections.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Honestly, I'm not particularly fond of the red bricks at the base of your wall (I assume those are dark red and not brown). I find that mottling works best when the difference between colours isn't too dramatic. That's why sand colours and light grey work well together. In this situation the red is far too different so it jumps out at you immediately. In a way, the red bricks make it look as if somebody has painted the bottom of the castle.

Ironically, I found that the sand coloured blue was quite striking and I miss it in this new iteration. Unlike the dark red which seems to clash, the sand blue actually mixed well with the grey walls adding a bit of richness to the wall itself. Sand red, tan, sand green and sand blue are all quite appealing to me when mixed properly (though not all together). The muted tones work well together. It's the dark colours that I find more difficult to mix.

The MOC itself is still looking quite impressive. Actually, the front facade looks quite similar to Bodiam Castle in England.

That is a great MOC! I especially love the design and detail. The very front with the bridge is good, but I think its incomplete. More landscape would be better!

Edited by lego12

Hey Teddy, this castle of yours is looking really great.

When building a castle this size, I think there will almost always be people saying the walls are too boring, but I think you've done a great job with them. The multiple colours, windows, arches and slopes add enough variety to the walls to make them interesting to look at, but they also look realistic and strong. The arches along the top of the wall beneath the windows are a good addition. :thumbup:

I have to commend you on your willingness to change this creation... just to go back and add the mottling must have been a major pain.

I do have to agree with BlueandWhite about the colouring at the bottom of the walls. The dark red is a bit distracting, and clashes too much, in my opinion. I think old dark grey could look good in it's place.

This is really impressive so far, and I look forward to seeing it progress. :classic:

This is a great moc :thumbup::classic:

It really reminds me a bit of the Muiderslot.

AWESOME! One of the best Castle MOCs I've ever seen; I love the way you designed the bridge mechanism. Great use of the curve bricks, I always like the look of MOCs that have those. :thumbup::thumbup:

My one complaint is those red tiles on the bottom? What's with those? :wacko:

Dear all,

thank you for all your comments, they have been very constructive and very much appriciated. :classic:

The dark red plates were an experiment which didnt work out as well as i had hoped.

I have replaced them with sand blue ones, which do fit a lot better with dark bley.

Furthermore, i have expanded the scenery a bit.

Please tell me what you think, any comments and feedback is more than welcome.

Kind regards,

Teddy

07-09-08_0128nr2.jpg

07-09-08_0129nr2.jpg

07-09-08_0130nr2.jpg

07-09-08_0132nr2.jpg

07-09-08_0133nr2.jpg

07-09-08_0134nr2.jpg

Wow, the castle is very good! Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of the scenery lives up to the castle. The water is great, though, I can really feel that state of peace (nirvana, if you like) in there. :thumbup:

Wow, the castle is very good! Unfortunately, I don't think the rest of the scenery lives up to the castle. The water is great, though, I can really feel that state of peace (nirvana, if you like) in there. :thumbup:

Dear Jim Butcher,

thanks for your reply! :classic:

Glad you like my castle.

Since it is not completely clear to me what you dont like about the scenery i made some better photos.

Hopefully you can give me some advice on how to improve upon it.

Kind regards,

Teddy

07-09-08_1238nr2.jpg

07-09-08_1240nr2.jpg

07-09-08_1244nr2.jpg

07-09-08_1239nr2.jpg

Dear all,

Recently I updated the scenery.

I tried to give it a bit of an autumn feel.

Hopefully you like it.

Since this is my first MOC with a scenary all comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Kind regards,

Teddy

23-09-08_2126nr2.jpg

23-09-08_2128nr2.jpg

23-09-08_2129nr2.jpg

23-09-08_2134nr2.jpg

WOW! That is HUGE! Great job Teddy! :thumbup: I can't wait until its finished, but I guess great MOC's take time... :classic:

Lego12