Murdoch17

Mad Scientist Mansion with 1930s yellow roadster - real world modular building MOC (finished after six years!)

This house was digitally built in 2018, really built in 2019, then languished in a WIP state for several years before being finished last month. Enjoy the pictures - this model has been a long rough ride since the beginning, but it was worth it!

53552049589_2958e2a3b5_z.jpg

I was inspired to create this model from the 2018 Jurassic World set 75930, Indoraptor Rampage at Lockwood Estate, with some design cues from set 10228, Haunted House. The dollhouse-style model was built from the set pictures, with the play features removed and opening rear sections added to match the front half. The house folds apart, doll house style, with the rear section opening in quarters up to 90 degrees. (Technic pins hold the model shut for transport and ease of handling)

53551908713_5911f65090_z.jpg

The modular building compatible base is able to be removed from the building to facilitate access to the inside details.

53552049579_9281264bb2_z.jpg

The rear of the mansion features a back door (perfect for escapes when the locals get feisty about the scientist playing god again!) and the chimney flue.

53551908688_de83582705_z.jpg

Moving inside, The bottom floor features the living room and dining rooms, while the second floor is the bedroom, study and pipe organ rooms. The third floor features the laboratory for the study of time travel.

53552049599_75031133be_z.jpg

The rear door to the outside is in the right rear section, while the safe containing the house's title and family paper work is directly above on the second level. This area also has stairs from first to second floors and what appears to be Frankenstein's monster on the third floor's operating table!

53551711871_b93226dc04_z.jpg

The left rear quarter features the fireplace and telephone on the first floor and a bed for the second floor's master bedroom. The stairs to the third floor are also on this side. It seems the time stone from the Marvel Universe is also here... I wonder what the Doctor plans on doing with it?

53552049099_53b37f26b1_z.jpg

I built the roadster model by heavily stretching set 40532 - Vintage Taxi by about seven studs. This allowed for me to add in mechanical details. I added a covered spare tire at the rear of the car, and blacked out the back windscreen to give the impression of a fabric convertible top. As an added bonus, the car still seats two figures with room in the trunk for luggage. (Any and all resemblance in the mad doctor to moderators, living, dead, or otherwise, is totally coincidental. It is totally not @Professor Thaum in his younger years. :wink: )

53552049104_d2597aacf2_z.jpg

The rear of the MOC.

53550849897_fe706935c1_z.jpg

Inside view of the car, with seating for two and room for baggage.

...and that's all I've got. Thoughts, comments, complaints and suggestions welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

I like this a lot, especially the roadster.  Very retro-cool.  I think you should put some decorative element in that blank center space in the front under the balcony.  Maybe a coat of arms or something?

16 hours ago, sporadic said:

I like this a lot, especially the roadster.  Very retro-cool.  I think you should put some decorative element in that blank center space in the front under the balcony.  Maybe a coat of arms or something?

Damn. Wish I'd thought of the coat of arms six years ago! As I don't do stickers, and I don't think I can take it apart easily, this idea is nearly impossible to do. (sadly)

Thanks for compliments and suggestions though!

Nice setup. The hinged doll house option is good. The interior does seem bland for a mad scientist. Wall sconces for lighting, more "trophies" or experiments should decorate this mansion. A roaring fire in the fireplace would keep things toasty, or is the monster afraid of fire? You could add a banner or crest by attaching it to the underside of the deck. The extension and mods from the taxi are perfect. The straight pipes are cool and the addition of the spare tire on the boot gives it the pre-war look.

Edited by Feuer Zug