Ben S

For moc builders: what is your set disassembly criteria?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I want to start building mocs myself. :excited: Maybe it's a bit of a silly question because in the end it depends on you, but I would like to hear some references. What is your criteria for deciding whether to keep a set built or use it to get loose pieces to build?

Thanks in advance :pir-thumb:

I use all sets i buy as parts and minifigure packs. I may build the set once and then dissassemble it after two weeks and use the parts for mocs. Some sets i may not even build... :pir-grin:

For me, it is do I like it enough that I want to keep it built or do I think I will want to sell it? If I am going to sell a set I have built, I will make sure not to mix it with MOC parts.

Usually I know before buying a set whether I will build it or whether I am buying it for parts. In the case it is for parts, I will take out the parts I will keep and mix them with my MOC parts, and remove the parts I will sell on and not use them so I can sell them as new parts/figures.

Even if I buy a set for parts, I will usually flick through the instructions to look if there are any interesting techniques used even if I am not building it.

It depends a little also on how you plan to build your mocs. Do you want to build freestyle with your own ideas using whatever pieces you have to hand, or design a moc bases on existing ideas that require specific pieces which you may or may not already own?

For me it's the second option and I do everything in Studio before creating a BrickLink wishlist and buying the pieces necessary. So in that situation sets stay as sets (even though I have no intention of selling later) and mocs are built from their own predetermined inventory lists.

20 hours ago, Ben S said:

What is your criteria for deciding whether to keep a set built or use it to get loose pieces to build?

Basically none. I enjoy building, but I don't necessarily want stuff to stand around and catch dust. I live in a small flat, anyway, so it's impossible to keep everything around forever. The exception from that rule are a few animals when I think they're really well done or just cute, a few things Star Wars and items like the Super Mario Piranha Plant that have a deeper meaning to me such as in this case reminding me of the fun I had in my Super Nintendo days. Most other models have to go eventually. I'll keep them around for a few weeks to show them off to friends or family, but then they get dismantled and the parts funneled into my repository until I may need them for something else.

Mylenium

Edited by Mylenium

If the set belongs to my favorite themes (Town/Trains, Castle, Space, Pirates and Aquazone) that I collect and use in my dioramas I keep them. If not I use them for parts (with some exceptions of course). But I mostly buy parts in bulk or specific parts from Bricklink or Pick a Brick for my MOCs.

Edited by SpacePolice89

Every set is potential MOC material to me, but I do build every set at least once.
If I really like it (like some older space sets), I might keep it around for a while as a display model.

I build everything at least once (which also functions as a parts check), unless it's from the "Classic" theme, or a 3-in-1 set I got more then 1 copy of (then it goes to alternate build mode)

A small set like the recent 42163: Heavy-Duty Bulldozer from Technic, a theme I usually don't collect, I built and then pretty much disambled it right away to mainly use the parts for a custom minifig compatible bulldozer I'm still working on.

Some sets do have extra options as well, like 60385: Construction Digger has a digger bucket and a fork loader attachment, I'll probably just move the digger bucket to a bulldozer , because 60287: Tractor already has similar bucket function as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

Thank you very much for answering! It's really interesting to see different testimonies. It really helped me get an idea of what I want to do.

On 2/20/2024 at 2:59 PM, MaximillianRebo said:

It depends a little also on how you plan to build your mocs.

Yeah, I usually build freestyle I guess. Only rarely do I plan things.

So I guess I'll start disassembling little by little. :laugh:

I dont buy a whole lot of sets, but when I do, I generally will build and keep them on display. My criteria for deconstruction is simple: I will keep it until I need parts from it, or I need the space to display fore something else. Also if its a more expensive set, I will be more likely to keep it together and try and substitute parts out if I need it . 

For sets I buy for parts: Sometimes I do not even build. For sets I buy because they are on sale/clearance: I often build them, but might not build the whole set (if it features two things) and it will be taken apart pretty quickly. For the sets I buy because I want the set? Sometimes I will not take them apart and will keep them built. The record is one set that has currently gone 16 years without me taking it apart. 

On 2/24/2024 at 2:26 AM, smazmats said:

I dont buy a whole lot of sets, but when I do, I generally will build and keep them on display. My criteria for deconstruction is simple: I will keep it until I need parts from it, or I need the space to display fore something else. Also if its a more expensive set, I will be more likely to keep it together and try and substitute parts out if I need it . 

Yes, I do something similar. 

If I buy the set becuase of the box only to not like it later, I'll disassemble. 

Otherwise I usually buy it to put in my displays, so I'm careful on whatever I pick. I don't count modding or combos as true disassembly, since the spirit is preserved. 

On 2/20/2024 at 11:21 AM, Ben S said:

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I want to start building mocs myself. :excited: Maybe it's a bit of a silly question because in the end it depends on you, but I would like to hear some references. What is your criteria for deciding whether to keep a set built or use it to get loose pieces to build?

Thanks in advance :pir-thumb:

In your mind's eye, I imagine the ideal 'lego room' in your future dream house. Would I have the set built on display in that room? If not, then I'm happy to disassemble.

Looking at my collection stats I've about 70 medium-large sets bought since I came out of my dark ages. About 25 passed that test, typically bigger ones.

15 hours ago, Yoggington said:

In your mind's eye, I imagine the ideal 'lego room' in your future dream house. Would I have the set built on display in that room? If not, then I'm happy to disassemble.

It is certainly a good perspective. Thanks for sharing!

I guess that my case is similar, especially the larger ones pass the test.