CroissantBricks

[MOC] [BDP-S4] Opera House

Hi everyone!

Here's the Opera House design we submitted to the Bricklink Designer Program Series 4.
We hope you like it! Please support us by clicking "Love it" in the link below if you want this design to become a set. 😊
Opera House on Bricklink Series 4

render1.jpgrender2.jpgrender3.jpgrender4.jpgrender5.jpgrender6.jpgrender7.jpgrender8.jpgrender9.jpgrender10.jpg

Here are some actual pictures of our prototype. We're still missing the minifigures, the interior stickers, and a couple of decorative pieces, but it's 99.5% complete.

p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpgp7.jpgp8.jpg

This is awesome! I'm in love with it!

The "Forbidden Connection" in one of the billboards is a very nice touch. Admirable!

Edited by hugore

You've got a 'love it' from me.

Lots to love here indeed. In particular the shaping to the building's rear is very clever.

6 hours ago, hugore said:

This is awesome! I'm in love with it!

The "Forbidden Connection" in one of the billboards is a very nice touch. Admirable!

Thanks! I'm quite proud of finding this title with double meaning. :laugh:

6 hours ago, Henning M. said:

simply awesome - many very fine details. I hope you get it approved.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Yoggington said:

You've got a 'love it' from me.

Lots to love here indeed. In particular the shaping to the building's rear is very clever.

Thank you for the support! We spent a lot of time figuring out how to build the curved rear. Achieving that shape while having the floors detachable and also trying to avoid creating gaps in the walls/floor was what took us the longest.

A beautiful model! Goes to show that it is possible to create an opera modular. Well done! :pir-thumb:

On 2/7/2024 at 4:37 PM, Jack Sassy said:

A beautiful model! Goes to show that it is possible to create an opera modular. Well done! :pir-thumb:

Thank you! We went a bit outside of the modular standard: The base is 1.5 baseplate deep which is a bit of a peculiar size for a modular layout, but it was the best way to achieve the overall design we wanted, especially in order to include everything we wanted in the interior. :classic:

We will add a half baseplate behind the building with either a fountain or statue when we integrate the opera into our city (when we have space for a proper city, lol). This way, both the front and the back of the building will be visible, and we quite like both. 

On 2/8/2024 at 8:40 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Quite the build. Good array of details all around. Love the posters.

Thank you. We had a lot of fun creating the posters and titles for the performances. :tongue:

19 hours ago, _TLG_ said:

Nice build with many details!

Thank you! :blush:

Nice to see that you also built it with real bricks! Looks really good! :thumbup:

I am just wondering about the accessibility of the seats from the top, might be ok actually with taking out the balconies section.

On 2/9/2024 at 12:53 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Oooh yes I love it!:wub:

Thank you!

21 hours ago, BrickPerfection said:

Nice to see that you also built it with real bricks! Looks really good! :thumbup:

I am just wondering about the accessibility of the seats from the top, might be ok actually with taking out the balconies section.

Thank you!

We wanted to build the model with real bricks to check the stability and structural integrity of the design before submitting it. Having the IRL prototype in parallel to the Stud.io version helped us ensure that the design is rigid enough. We probably could have reduced the piece count if we were willing to sacrifice on the stability of the model, but it's not something we wanted to cheapen out on. As it is, I can even lift each section with a single hand. :purrr:

The balcony seats are easily accessible from the front of the balconies. Here's a quick picture of me placing my sigfig into one of them. It can be done with the balconies section in place or when it's taken out, like in this picture.

balcony_access.jpg