2GodBDGlory

48-Hour MOC Challenge General Discussion Topic

Speed-MOCing Challenge  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the challenge last for?

• 24 Hours
    • 48 Hours
    • 72 Hours
    • 24 Weeks :)
  2. 2. When should the challenge take place?

• Soon, during the winter
    • Later, during the summer
    • Both soon and during the summer
    • One weekend a month, or something regular like that
  3. 3. Are you interested in doing this challenge? (For the purpose of gauging numbers of people interested)

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I am agreeing to @Lipko, there is always chances for one having a fitting build accidentally - but who really cares when its about the fun of building / working on ideas?

@grum64 I have no power, but when I would be the deciding person, you would be the person who is allowed to do so! (I am just a silent reader occationally of your thread, just want to say how much of a inspiration you are to me for always looking forward! ♥)

On 2/7/2024 at 5:55 PM, aFrInaTi0n said:

@grum64 I have no power, but when I would be the deciding person, you would be the person who is allowed to do so! (I am just a silent reader occationally of your thread, just want to say how much of a inspiration you are to me for always looking forward! ♥)

You’re very kind 😳

Edited by grum64

On 2/7/2024 at 2:18 PM, 2GodBDGlory said:

Well, the idea is that the topic would be chosen randomly/revealed on the day it starts, so that people wouldn't know what to start building. If they already happened to have something built, that could make things easier, but it's not a judged contest, so I don't think it's something we need to worry about.

I'm not sure how you can have a contest, without having judges.

28 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

I'm not sure how you can have a contest, without having judges.

Fair enough! :)

I'll rephrase that: "but it's not a contest, so I don't think it's something we need to worry about"

I just added a short poll to the topic, mainly to get people's opinion on how long of a time period we should do, and when the challenge should take place; as well as how many people are interested

After looking at the poll, it looks like doing a 48-hour challenge is the most popular option, and it sounds like the majority would be willing to do something soon, so I think we should try to choose a weekend, figure out the details, and then see how it goes to decide how any future challenges could be changed.

What weekend should we aim for? The weekend of March 8-10 is probably about as early as we'd want to do, but other than that, I may not be free until April 5-7, though weekends after that would likely work

Also, we'll need to start getting a shortlist of possible topics to choose from at the time

Let me know what you're thinking!

I think that as you mentioned before, the topics should be very broad so everyone can build something. Also, as this is a "challenge" not a "contest", perhaps we could have multiple things?

Another idea is to maybe have a specific car, and we all just build something inspired by it.

Alright, I think we're at the point where nothing will happen unless I'm decisive and choose something, so I'll just pick a day:

The official date for the first trial run will be the weekend of March 8 to 10 (Unless people are vocal about preferring a different time)

The challenge will run for 48 hours, starting at 10:00 PM, GMT, on March 8th, and ending at 10:00 PM, GMT, on March 10. I think this is a good compromise for people in all time zones, with far westerners and far easterners both losing a similar number of weekend hours, and people in less extreme time zones having all 48 hours within their time off. For a few example time ranges from areas with large proportions of Eurobricks users:

GMT-8, (Pacific Time in North America) would be 2 PM Fri to 2 PM Sun

GMT-5, (Eastern Time in North America) would be 5 PM Fri to 5 PM Sun

GMT+1 (Continental Western Europe) would be 11 PM Fri to 11 PM Sun

GMT+9 (Central Australia [Wait, you're actually GMT+9.5? That's weird]; Korea; Japan) would be 7 AM Sat to 7 AM Mon

GMT+12 (New Zealand) would be 10 AM Sat to 10 AM Mon

I don't think any of these are too absurd, so that should be a good time to plan on. If you live in a time zone not in my examples, you should be able to figure it out easily based on an online time zone map.

Topics aren't finalized yet, but here's a couple options pulled from earlier in the thread [EDIT: Now some from later in the thread too] that sound workable to me:

• A vehicle with at least three axles
  • An alternate model for any set
  • >150 part "polybag" model
  • TC18-style car
  • Motorcycle
  • Three-wheeled vehicle

I'll be taking more suggestions for topics over the next few weeks to build a final list (Or fleshing it out myself if there aren't too many ideas), and then the final topic will be randomly chosen from the list and revealed at the start of the challenge!

Any major objections to this plan?

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

Sounds great!
As a suggestion for topics: maybe construct them in the way "build X but with/without Y" and then draw random topics for things to build (car, truck, construction vehicle, mechanism, etc.) and then a constraint added to it (with at least 3 axles, without using black pieces, with at least one mechanical function beyond steering and driving, etc.). This way the topic can be something everyone understands without beeing too generic (aka. boring) for the more advanced builders. Additionally they would be highly reusable for future challenges without having to come up with completely new things every time.

Edited by Saruzeufel
typo

Here are some other ideas to throw in the pot:

- Monochromatic: Build only in 1 colour (except tires, axles and pins)

- Polybag-scale: Recreate an official model with under 150 parts (video or digital model for approvement)

- Tracked: Come up with a model on tracks

More simpler version of previous TC will interesting too.

TC13 pull back - Limited only car. Just like TLG's pullback model.

TC18 small car / TC19 motorcycle - Tire limit will much smaller

I'm down! TC18 rules are right up my alley for a challenge, but anything car related works for me.

Starts at 3pm my time, so I'll ask to get off work early for the contest.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:11 PM, Aurorasaurus said:

No objections, I'm excited!

Great!

On 2/22/2024 at 12:52 AM, Saruzeufel said:

Sounds great!
As a suggestion for topics: maybe construct them in the way "build X but with/without Y" and then draw random topics for things to build (car, truck, construction vehicle, mechanism, etc.) and then a constraint added to it (with at least 3 axles, without using black pieces, with at least one mechanical function beyond steering and driving, etc.). This way the topic can be something everyone understands without beeing too generic (aka. boring) for the more advanced builders. Additionally they would be highly reusable for future challenges without having to come up with completely new things every time.

Ooh, that's an interesting idea! You'd have to be careful to make sure that the randomly selected parameters made decent sense, but it could work nicely! It would kind of require restarting the list, though, so I'm thinking I might not incorporate it this time, at least.

On 2/22/2024 at 2:36 AM, Jundis said:

Here are some other ideas to throw in the pot:

- Monochromatic: Build only in 1 colour (except tires, axles and pins)

- Polybag-scale: Recreate an official model with under 150 parts (video or digital model for approvement)

- Tracked: Come up with a model on tracks

Thanks! I've added the polybag option to the list, but the other two both sound like they could end up excluding builders who don't have enough parts in one color, or just don't have track parts. That wouldn't really be a problem for a traditional contest, since people just wouldn't participate, but it would suck for someone to set aside time to do this, and then draw a topic that they simply can't complete.

On 2/22/2024 at 3:23 AM, msk6003 said:

More simpler version of previous TC will interesting too.

TC13 pull back - Limited only car. Just like TLG's pullback model.

TC18 small car / TC19 motorcycle - Tire limit will much smaller

Thanks!

I've added both motorcycles and the TC18 car to the list of ideas, though I think it's fine to allow them to be full-size, since larger models don't necessarily take longer than smaller ones. The pullback theme is good too, but I decided to exclude it for the same reason I mentioned above: not everybody has pullback motors, so it could limit the pool a bit.

41 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

I'm down! TC18 rules are right up my alley for a challenge, but anything car related works for me.

Starts at 3pm my time, so I'll ask to get off work early for the contest.

Glad to hear it! TC18 has been added--I'd actually be quite happy if it got drawn, since I joined the forum just too late to participate in that contest!

One idea of my own that I added to the list is a three-wheeled vehicle, which sounds like it could bring up some interesting options!

I'm excited for next weekend to start this challenge!

I'm just realizing that I hadn't thought about how daylight savings time in certain countries might affect the times, so it's possible that the times I put in the list a few posts up could be off by an hour.

GMT will be the standard!

One other thing I just realized is that daylight savings time here actually ends next weekend, so we'll be losing an hour Saturday night. Because of that, people in locales coming on to daylight savings time might have some confusion about specific hours, but just refer to whatever the GMT standard is for clarification

Here's a reminder that we'll be starting the challenge in 24 hours and 43 minutes!

I'll randomly select a topic from our list then, and post it on here for you all to see.

Looking forward to it!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I'm very excited - working on cleaning off my desk so I can be ready!

Agh- I need to do this... I dont want to... I feel like this is a universal problem for lego builders

update: I did it

Edited by Aurorasaurus

Just set myself an reminder alarm... :D

Curious abou the topic and if I have some idea for it haha! All the best for all participants - may the fun be with us!

12 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I'm very excited - working on cleaning off my desk so I can be ready!

7 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

Agh- I need to do this... I dont want to... I feel like this is a universal problem for lego builders

Yep, I was just getting ready to clean off my desk last night when I read @letsbuild's post!

1 hour ago, Aurorasaurus said:

Question, will 3d printed parts be allowed?

I'd say it's fine! It's just for fun anyways

Can we have a new, separate topic for the actual challenge where its idea and guidelines are posted, in addition to posting the results?

15 hours ago, Aurorasaurus said:

8 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Yep, I was just getting ready to clean off my desk last night when I read @letsbuild's post!

Great minds think alike!

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

Can we have a new, separate topic for the actual challenge where its idea and guidelines are posted, in addition to posting the results?

I think this is a good idea, but we'll have to see how @Jim feels about that, he probably wouldn't want us clogging up the subforum

Just a couple of hours left, I'm excited! Quickly finishing up my last jobs of the day so I can get home on time

4 hours ago, howitzer said:

I may want to agree

6 hours ago, howitzer said:

1 hour ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

I may want to agree

Yep, that's a good idea! I can make a new post at the appointed time--unless @Jim thinks it would be better to keep it in here.
I'll link the new topic into here, though, to make it clear where things are moving to