20240203_124034.jpg

Inspired primarily by the Opel Manta 400, I've made my own RWD rally car. It features independent front suspension, and a rear live axle using the big ball joint and a metal U-Joint. Its propelled by 4 buwizz motors and steered by one C+ L motor.

Some late WIP photos

Spoiler

640x360.jpg20240203_135132.jpg
640x360.jpg640x360.jpg

Earlier WIP photos

Spoiler

640x360.jpg640x360.jpg640x360.jpg640x360.jpg640x360.jpg640x360.jpg640x360.jpg

Problems
Because of the narrow wheelbase and relatively high center of mass due to high up buwizz units, the model easily rolls when driving at high speed and cornering.

I was lazy with the design of the suspension; the front is too soft and the steering is inaccurate because I am using 15460.jpg Instead of the newer parts with longer arms for steering links. This allowed me to fit the wheels inside the body, though. The rear suspension is too hard primarily because I got lazy and wanted it done, after about 8 hours on the model I was getting bored.

The bodywork has some parts that could be white if I had the parts in white, but those parts are quite small.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. As of right now I still have the model assembled.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Aurorasaurus
Add underneath photo

It looks good! I do expect some melting to happen with the axle between the motors. I did a similar thing and in 5 meters of driving I destroyed an axle and a frame :grin:

2 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Great bodywork specialy the mudguards.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Alex Ilea said:

It looks good! I do expect some melting to happen with the axle between the motors. I did a similar thing and in 5 meters of driving I destroyed an axle and a frame :grin:

Thanks! And yeahh it melted the axle this evening. Finally an excuse to take it apart, I've been waiting all day!

2 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

Great bodywork specialy the mudguards.

Thank you!

31 minutes ago, Alex Ilea said:

Thanks! And yeahh it melted the axle between the diffs driving gear and the U joint this evening. Finally an excuse to take it apart, I've been waiting all day!

Edited by Aurorasaurus
add info

4x BuWizz motors in this pretty small build it is something to behold. You have done great!

Also, you can try to take out 2x motors and leave just the other 2x, assuming the model is light enough for running with 2x BuWizz motors and so you get rid of another BuWizz hub too.

But anyway, it looks good and I think it is pure fun to take it for a run (until something melts :/).

Edited by Lixander

57 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Like it, as build is really TECHNICal . 

Exactly my feeling. I enjoy those fancy new builds with a lot of SYSTEM bricks, but the old good full technic builds are the ones I frist feel in love with. :D I am curious does that relatively small model needs 4 motors? :O
There are another two pillars next to A pillars in the car which I particulalry don't like and the ones inside interior of the car, but I guess those are some construction points, which would be hard to remove.

6 hours ago, Krxlion said:

Exactly my feeling. I enjoy those fancy new builds with a lot of SYSTEM bricks, but the old good full technic builds are the ones I frist feel in love with. :D I am curious does that relatively small model needs 4 motors? :O
There are another two pillars next to A pillars in the car which I particulalry don't like and the ones inside interior of the car, but I guess those are some construction points, which would be hard to remove.

Well, it doesnt need 4 motors... but the bodywork was pretty heavy and I wanted to see what I could get away with. As for the internal pillars, I usually always have those so that I can pick the model up by the roof, so yes, they're structurally vital. The external pillars are completely optional and can be removed.

Thank you everybody for your praise!

Looks nice and clean, and four of those motors should give you gobs of power! 

7 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Looks nice and clean, and four of those motors should give you gobs of power! 

Thanks! A bit too much, perhaps.

9 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very cool rally car! :thumbup:

Great design and nice colors! :wub:

Thank you very much!