Sign in to follow this  
Haddock51

My Own Orient Express - Addition

53490674408_90bfaab375_c.jpg

The Orient Express has always been one of my absolute favorite trains, with all its history and fame. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to travel with this iconic and mythic luxury train that celebrated its 100th anniversary a couple of years ago.

However, to create this spectacular MOC and watch it moving up and down my 9V extreme track is a decent compensation, to put it least ...

My Orient Express consists of a steam locomotive with tender, a restaurant coach, two sleeping coaches and a baggage coach. The locomotive has some similarities with the legendary french Class 241-A express steam locomotive which appeared on France's rails in the early Thirties and pulled heavy express trains in the golden period of train travel before WWII.

In those days, the Orient Express was operated by "Compagnie Internationale des Wagons-Lits et des Grands Express Européens", a company founded by Georges Nagelmackers from Belgium.

Back to my MOC and some technical details:

• The locomotive and tender are built 8-wide, with a total length of approx. 60 studs. The electric headlights are connected to a 9V battery in the tender.
  • Each coach is 7-wide and 48 studs long. The train has a total length of approx. 2.1 meters.
  • This OE is equipped with six 9V engines: two on the tender and two on each sleeping coach.
  • Like for many of my other wagons carrying "coal", I have used a piece of net stockings to prevent "coal" from dropping off. Quite amazing tu use and classify net stockings as Lego train accessories ...

Last but not least, I would like to thank Selander for all his advice and support. Much appreciated!

And this is what my Orient Express looks like:

53490827249_ceaaebb574_c.jpg

53490827129_9999729837_c.jpg

53489627817_e5e104b33a_c.jpg

53490938850_a868bdd1d3_c.jpg

53490938585_8c81bbec43_c.jpg

53490866554_b5688f784e_c.jpg

53490562816_982c71215a_c.jpg

53490866544_5b2c9265ff_c.jpg

53490522111_6a8e18dc8e_c.jpg

53490940750_3835bef378_c.jpg

53489630547_f80fb9475b_c.jpg

53490522216_02de87e77f_c.jpg

53489628012_274d48e7b3_c.jpg

Bon Voyage!

Addition:

Shortly after finishing my own OE, I watched the movie "Murder on the Orient Express" with Kenneth Branagh acting as Hercules Poirot (2017). Nice pictures of and breathtaking scenes with the classic Orient Express!

All of a sudden appeared a coach at the end of the train that I haven't seen before: a lounge coach with a porch!

I decided right away to build this coach as well, and this is what it looks like - crowded, incl. piano player and waiter:

53541631274_2b51098f8e_c.jpg

53541312531_012da4cfd5_c.jpg

My wife and myself.

53540428117_9feacef99a_c.jpg

53541488488_3ed9bc0215_c.jpg

53541733125_60aab41531_c.jpg

This is what the extended train looks like with five coaches, eight 9V engines - and my wife & myself on the porch, enjoying and toasting to the magnificent views over the Alps and over My Own Lego World!

Finally, we got the opportunity to travel aboard this magic train!

53542736741_6459376371_c.jpg

53542736731_d3027a494e_c.jpg

53541863207_dec5acfc0a_c.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Haddock51

Looking good, was this already in the works before the lego set, or were you inspired by the lego set to build it?

1 hour ago, Haddock51 said:

However, to create this spectacular MOC and watch it moving up and down my 9V extreme track is a decent compensation, to put it least ... 

Will videos be forthcoming?

Already back in May 2018, I exchanged ideas with @ElectroDiva and some others on the theme Venice Simplon Orient Express. But the project never got started.

However, to build an own Orient Express has been on my wish list for many years. A year ago, I received pictures from my brother in Switzerland of one of the two remaining Class 241-A express steam locomotives  exhibited at the Railway Museum in Mulhouse, Alsace/France. That triggered the start of this project, primarily by creating models in Studio 2.0.

Lego set #21344 has not been a source of inspiration at all. My expectations and ambitions re. the Orient Express were and are much higher.

I need to find some help w.r.t. forthcoming videos because I can't drive a train and film at the same time.

Edited by Haddock51

Neat to hear that this has been in the work for a very long time (I know the feeling) and to be clear, it was readily apparent that your build was a completely different league than the lego set, so at most only the subject (not the design) might had been inspired by the set. I hope nothing to the contrary was interpreted by my question

21 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

I need to find some help w.r.t. forthcoming videos because I can't drive a train and film at the same time.

Yes indeed, you have severe mountain grades on your line that no doubt require expert train handling. Looking forward to the videos whenever they come.

No problem @zephyr1934.

It was probably more the intense discussions around the Lego Idea Orient Express that caught my interest. To me it showed the tremendous interest in the Lego train community for a new sophisticated train like the one that was submitted, and the high expectations on the set to come.

As for myself - and like for many others - I was rather disappointed by the final result. By the time this set was launched in early december 2023, my own project had already progressed quite far, i.e. there was never an option to eventually go for the Lego version. 

The guy who helped me with my previous videos, a true professional, has recently become a father again, so I don't have high hopes to see him filming again at my home in the near future. I will continue to work on it.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:25 AM, Haddock51 said:

The guy who helped me with my previous videos, a true professional, has recently become a father again, so I don't have high hopes to see him filming again at my home in the near future. I will continue to work on it.

Tell him to bring his new baby and give them a camera (grin) but seriously though, good trains are worth the wait. It will be neat to see it climbing and descending your grades (or even just cruising on the flats) whenever you get the cameras rolling.

The only realistic alternative right now is my wife. It appears that she is willing to do it but that will require quite some training...

The filming has to take place at full day light, a time when most people - except us - are still working. And weekends are always busy times.

Edited by Haddock51

On 1/28/2024 at 5:25 PM, Haddock51 said:

To me it showed the tremendous interest in the Lego train community for a new sophisticated train like the one that was submitted, and the high expectations on the set to come.

As of today, the topic "Lego #21344 - Orient Express" has close to 125 000 views (!) and 867 replies!

Edited by Haddock51

No rush (definitely don't make any undue requests on your wife) though I suppose if you had a tripod you could capture a couple of views from a stationary camera.

It turned out great 👍 Nice shot among the alps 👏

The additions look amazing (well, okay, it all looks amazing but the shots on the layout take it up a notch)

Hello @zephyr1934

Your Eurobricks logo with a front page picture of RAILBRICKS - probably issued in 2011 - showing an Amtrak train together with the text "Building Superliner Cars with Benn Coifmann" has indeed caught my interest, particularly when considering options for my next train project.

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to get access to this RAILBRICKS edition.

How can I get access to your article?

14 minutes ago, Haddock51 said:

Hello @zephyr1934

Your Eurobricks logo with a front page picture of RAILBRICKS - probably issued in 2011 - showing an Amtrak train together with the text "Building Superliner Cars with Benn Coifmann" has indeed caught my interest, particularly when considering options for my next train project.

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to get access to this RAILBRICKS edition.

How can I get access to your article?

All of the Railbricks issues are available here:

https://brickmodelrailroader.com/index.php/download-railbricks/

Thanks a lot @supertruper1988 !

Yes, I found RAILBRICKS edition #10 with Benn Coifmanns article, a phantastic train indeed! A quite sophisticated construction that would require more building details.

Are there other Superliner models available?

Edited by Haddock51