Aurore

GoH 11: Elmire's Couture House (Chronicles of Embervale Digression #5)

My plan for this challenge was a full-fledged elven merchant's guildhouse. Then life happened, and I realised I would never be able to finish it in time - even with the extended deadline.
But I really wanted to participate; so here is an unassuming entry, just for the enjoyment of building and fleshing out Historica.

PS. Of course, I couldn't help but write a short story. A story that would take place a few years before my main storyline in Embervale, but featuring the same main characters.

Elmire's Couture House

Meborin, Avalonia. The great merchant city of the High Elves. A place of awe and wonder, where only the finest was good enough.
In the upper part of the city, Elmire’s couture house was the kind of confidential place where a few high-end, unique articles were offered to the admiration of selected guests. Trivial things such as prices were never, ever spoken. If gold ended up changing ownership, it was patronage of the Arts. A sign of recognition of Elmire’s talent – nothing to do with menial trade.

When Lord Dresghar, Ambassador of the Dark Elves in Meborin, solicited an appointment, Elmire got a bad feeling. Yet the Ambassador himself was as fine as a Dark Elf could be: he had a charming smile, beautiful blue eyes and the refined manners expectable from a diplomat.

Alas, he was also afflicted with a niece who had none of these things but needed a new ball gown.    

53489536639_c553f5dc4c_b.jpg

“What have you done to me? I can’t breathe anymore!” Alrune cried out, struggling to free herself from the garment that was crushing her ribs. “Get me out of here!”
“You just need to stop panicking, honey, everything’s all right,” Dresghar placidly replied.
“Really, that’s all you can come up with? I’ll stop panicking once I’ll be able to breathe again!”

Ties. There were ties beneath Alrune’s fingers. If only she could loosen them up…She felt searing pain in her forefinger – but insisted. Hopefully those nasty strings would give up before her nails.
“That dress of yours is an exquisite masterpiece, dear.” She heard Dresghar’s voice say in an insufferable worldly tone. “Youthful yet elegant, with just a hint of glamour. That’s how a proper elf maiden should look like.”
What? To hell with elegance and glamour – she wanted to breathe! And now, from the corner of her tearful eye, she saw the dressmaker smile blissfully at her uncle.
None of them seemed to intend to move even a little finger to save her.

All right. Too bad for the dress – it did look good, she had to admit, but it was trying to kill her.
Under the increasingly horrified gaze of the dressmaker, she created tiny, glowing darts of magical force from her bleeding fingertips.
And then, unceremoniously, she sliced the back of the garment.

-- Epilogue
Smelling salts were needed to revive Elmire after the incident, and it took Dresghar an elaborate floral arrangement and two boxes of candied violets to obtain forgiveness for the affront to her creation.
Alrune kept the dress. Even adjusted to a more sensible fit, it was still as mesmerizing as Elmire had imagined it.

Two more pictures...

53489384723_989b8efb82_c.jpg

53489537064_fa97fb6203_c.jpg

Edited by Aurore
Re-took and updated the photos

Fun story and build.  I like the gold detailing around the build.  I like all the little details like the amulet, crown, other fabrics, flowers, etc.  Are the pieces at the top of the wall and bottom of the wall on the right printed?  Also nice use of the Agatha body and NInjago for dresses.  

Another great piece of worldbuilding from this challenge! It really makes me want to see more of the city of Meborin :classic:

In addition to everything else (the quality of the figures, the color palette and the story!) I particularly like the depth you were able to put into this creation, which is barely 16 tenons deep. The sloping walls, the mirror and the window with its view of the castle all worked in this direction. Congratulations!

I love how this scene looks so pleasant and light... and then you see her face in the mirror :laugh:  Great subtle floor patterns and that window print looks simply amazing.  An excellent little interior scene!

Gorgeous little shop with excellent wares, definitely above my price range!

This is so cool! The stickers and the mirror add a lot of depth to the build! The facial expressions of the minifigs are perfect! Nice build. Brick on!

I always love seeing your builds!  You have a great eye for detail and color, and I enjoy seeing what creative new uses for parts you have.  The color scheme here with the white, tan, gold, and light purple are outstanding.  I love the mirror! :wub:  The use of the car doors for rolls of fabric is outstanding, and the dresses with false head boosted just a stud off the floor really sell them as dresses on a mannequin and not just a random minifig body hanging around.  The stickered microscale bricks look great for small detail!  The brick built vase and flowers are also fantastic.  Well done!