Bob De Quatre

[Contest] Space Pirates - Back to the Carribean Galaxy!

On 1/31/2024 at 5:13 PM, Banbi64 said:

Are homemade fabric cape or flag are authorized too in Cat. 

Yes

If we make twins with minimal color differences like these, do they count as two minifigs or can we count them as one?

pi012.pngpi013.png

18 minutes ago, Oky said:

If we make twins with minimal color differences like these, do they count as two minifigs or can we count them as one?

pi012.pngpi013.png

Depends on how minimal the differences are...

Ideally you should build six different characters, if two are identical you only built five...

This sounds like fun! Thanks for organising. Will give it a try :pir-classic:

2 hours ago, --pichu-- said:

Where can I post my entries?

Just post a topic in the Sci-Fi forum

I’ve already build 6 differents minifigs + 1 monkey (old classic pirate one) and 1 parrot. Can I use all my 6 minifigs or should I choose between the monkey and the sixth minifig? Can I count the parrot as an accessory ? 🤔

Edited by Sympatik Brick

4 hours ago, Sympatik Brick said:

I’ve already build 6 differents minifigs + 1 monkey (old classic pirate one) and 1 parrot. Can I use all my 6 minifigs or should I choose between the monkey and the sixth minifig? Can I count the parrot as an accessory ? 🤔

If your monkey and parrot are jsut the standard monkey and parrot, not briuckbuilt or customized, you should better post your six minifigs, and you can hae the parrot as an accessory.

8 hours ago, BrynnOfCastlegate said:

For Category B, is it possible to rebuild two smaller pirates sets in one entry, or does it have to be a rebuild of just one set?

Just one set per entry, but you can enter as many entries as you want

I'm working on a steampunk flying tugboat, would that style fit within the parameters of the contest, or is it strictly space style sci Fi pirates? 

Gentlemen,

my plan is to build a modern version of a ground space station like 6970 and then to "piratify" it (think of 6253).  So I just finished the space station - showing a standard space station, peaceful and stylish. They just don't know what will happen ...

My question - can I post this moc as

a) seperate MOC with its own topic in the space forum outside this competition
b) start a [SPC-Cat B] - Topic as a WIP Moc - but with expected numerous modifications after the pirates arrived
c) Don't show it at all....

Edited by jansued

Sorry for the late reply...

On 2/11/2024 at 2:49 AM, JimBaggins said:

I'm working on a steampunk flying tugboat, would that style fit within the parameters of the contest, or is it strictly space style sci Fi pirates? 

Altough I really like the idea of a steampunk pirates theme, for this contest we'll stick to space pirates... So yes it is stricly space style pirates.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:01 AM, jansued said:

Gentlemen,

my plan is to build a modern version of a ground space station like 6970 and then to "piratify" it (think of 6253).  So I just finished the space station - showing a standard space station, peaceful and stylish. They just don't know what will happen ...

My question - can I post this moc as

a) seperate MOC with its own topic in the space forum outside this competition
b) start a [SPC-Cat B] - Topic as a WIP Moc - but with expected numerous modifications after the pirates arrived
c) Don't show it at all....

For Category B you have to redesign an existing pirate set in the space pirate theme. I added a precision to the rules "For category B, you must rebuild one existing Lego pirate set, from any era including the latest produced last year, into a space pirate moc. The original set must be recognizable, with key features, shapes or functionnalities for example."

If you wanted to enter category B, I think you took the wrong path starting from a space set isntead of a pirate set.

If you want to continue this MOC, I then suggest you post it for category C.

Hello!

I'm fine with entering a piratefied space station as Cat C, though I think if you take 21322 as an example, a wrecked spacestation would also be applicable for Cat B. So its ok to post the Space Station before the arrival of the pirates as WIP?

" The original set must be recognizable, with key features, shapes or functionnalities for example" In my opinion this puts a too strong restriction on the creativity. Does that include a piece count?  Most islands and outposts in the classic series have just 100-300 parts... I interpreted Cat B to built a MOC as to take the idea óf a classic pirate set (a pirate hideout, a pirate or imperial battleship, etc.) and transfer it into a space theme. Taking 10210 for example:

1. Key features: A propulsion system (sails) - ok, Solar sails, I got it. 4-8 Cannons - no problem. A bridge, a lookout, a kitchen, Captains Room  - also no problem
  2. Shape: A spaceship can't have the shape of a sail ship if, by any means this moc should make sense at all. Big problem.
  3. Functionnality: Firing Cannons, Anchor whinch, crane, Decks can be opened. Somehow solveable.

So if I fullfill 1) and 3) but fail at 2) - would this be within the rules?

Edited by jansued

2 hours ago, jansued said:

I'm fine with entering a piratefied space station as Cat C, though I think if you take 21322 as an example, a wrecked spacestation would also be applicable for Cat B. So its ok to post the Space Station before the arrival of the pirates as WIP?

Anything can enter cat C. For cat B you'll have to follow the rules, and then your entry is considered a WIP until the end of the contest.

" The original set must be recognizable, with key features, shapes or functionnalities for example" In my opinion this puts a too strong restriction on the creativity. Does that include a piece count?  Most islands and outposts in the classic series have just 100-300 parts...

There are no rules about number of parts, you can use as many as you want...

I interpreted Cat B to built a MOC as to take the idea óf a classic pirate set (a pirate hideout, a pirate or imperial battleship, etc.) and transfer it into a space theme. Taking 10210 for example:

1. Key features: A propulsion system (sails) - ok, Solar sails, I got it. 4-8 Cannons - no problem. A bridge, a lookout, a kitchen, Captains Room  - also no problem
  2. Shape: A spaceship can't have the shape of a sail ship if, by any means this moc should make sense at all. Big problem.
  3. Functionnality: Firing Cannons, Anchor whinch, crane, Decks can be opened. Somehow solveable.

So if I fullfill 1) and 3) but fail at 2) - would this be within the rules?

If you read carefully the rules, the key word is "or"... key features, shapes or functionnalities are mentiuonned as examples, the important thinkg is that when people see your moc and the original set, they could see the link between the two.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:12 AM, jansued said:

Shape: A spaceship can't have the shape of a sail ship if, by any means this moc should make sense at all. Big problem.

I guess that if the shape is harder to match, it'd be a good idea to use the sets recognizable color scheme into your build ...

2 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

I guess that if the shape is harder to match, it'd be a good idea to use the sets recognizable color scheme into your build ...

Working on it ;-)

Meanwhile:

5 hours ago, Math Wizard said:

For category B does the scary pirate island gwp count?

Yes, any official set in the pirate theme, even the VIP parts pack if you want :pir-sweet: