Sign in to follow this  
Something_Awesome

Questions for fans of the Castle and Lord of the Rings themes

Obviously, as people that collect LEGO, we are limited by money, space, or both (both for me). Castle themes were what got me in to LEGO when I was a kid, and I love them. However, Lord of the Rings is my favorite franchise. The sets currently available for these themes are amazing, and more amazing sets for these themes are around the corner. I can't afford, and don't have room for, both themes. And more LotR sets are around the corner BEYOND Barad-Dur, and I fully expect more castle and castle-tangent sets to come out after the Market set this year. Any of you in my same predicament? Rivendell and Barad-Dur sets; the idea of that is WILD. But The Lion Knights Castle set is epic and now it's going to have a market expansion? The medieval CMF's we keep getting are also awesome. Don't really know what to do here.

The other themes I currently collect:

• Pirates (luckily, LEGO isn't going "all out" on this theme for the time being)
  • Ninjago (Aside from modulars, Airjitzu-like temple sets, or remakes, I decided to not collect anything from this theme anymore from Dragons Rising and onward)
  • Star Wars (I needed to reduce my collecting here, so I don't but anything that is not George Lucas era anymore)

So as you can see, I have made huge cuts to how I collect the above three themes. George Lucas era Star Wars stuff is still a broad timeline, but luckily I have zero interest in large UCS sets like the Falcon, AT-AT, Gunship and X-Wing etc even though they are all from episodes 1 - 6. 

Still, given the overlap between LotR and Castle, I feel like I can only pick one. The only way I could see myself collecting both is if I sold off all the Ninjago stuff or Star Wars stuff. But I don't really want to do that. Oh, and the viking village set is awesome, too :laugh:

Not sure I am expecting advice here, though it is welcome. I think my main goal here was to write and discuss this issue to help think through it. 

Edited by Something_Awesome

All I do is fantasy/castle sets now.  I'm building a fantasy world out of lego.  So naturally I collect anything castle and I pick up sets from HP, Ninjago, Monkie kid, Star wars, Jurassic park, Marvel/DC, etc. that I like the minifigs for customizing.  Also some of the sets are nice for castle/fantasy builds.  I usually pick up parts from PAB and bricklink.  I also only have a limited amount of space and obviously money.  That's why I decided a long time ago to stop collecting Star wars.  I'm still in the process of organizing all my bricks and minifigs.  I have several of the LOTR/Hobbit sets still intact.  I'm planning to get Rivendell this year.  

I only buy sets that I want for the minifigs or bricklink the figs now.  I buy a lot of dragons from the Ninjago line for my fantasy world and the figs are very useful.  My real issue is parts organization right now I still have a lot to sort through.  I did recently buy the Viking Village but have not built it yet.  I just bought more storage for my parts so hopefully I can get everything sorted by the end of the month.  That should free up some space for me.  I am planning on build a large display so I need to sort everything so open up space on my tables to build.  

I also found that the new Dreamzzz line has some great figs and new pieces.  

I am also planning on buying the Market coming in March.  I have the LKC and the blacksmith, the 3in1 castle and can't wait for the Market.  I'm trying to optimize my space with shelving and storage bins that are stackable.  

So basically I just buy the sets, figs, or parts that will help build my world at this point.  Although there is one space city set that has a very interesting looking spaceship that I may buy and leave in the box.  

Well, I can feel you here. Even if we are not getting an own Theme of Castle or Lord of the Rings there are still so many other great Sets. And Room and Money is limited (and while you will get more money over time, getting more room is not that easy - and requires more money).

I haven´t bought the Lion Knights Castle yet, even though I would say it is my favourite Set yet produced - but it also a set that I think will stay around for some time, so I am not in a hurry to buy it. As for the Medieval Town Square, we will see when they reveal that Set if it will land on my List. If not I will just buy some Minifigures from Pick a Brick.

I don´t really collect any Theme, though there are some themes I am interested in, such as Castle, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones etc.

Rivendell is a very great Set but I am not sure whether I will get it. As you wrote, place and money are limited and Rivendell might suffer from this. I am not really interested in Barad-Dûr so the desicision for that one is an easy skip. There are still enough Sets I would like to get but in the same time new ones get released (as the Medieval Town Square or the Dungeon and Dragons Set, that would likely be a must buy if it is close to the fan design).

In the end there are so many great Sets nowadays so in the we will have to decide which ones we really want and which we don´t, even though we would like to get them. As for what Set you should choose and which not, that is a question only you can answer. I mean everyone has a different taste and while I like the Lion Knights Castle most, you might like somethings else more ;).

Just now, Black Falcon said:

Well, I can feel you here. Even if we are not getting an own Theme of Castle or Lord of the Rings there are still so many other great Sets. And Room and Money is limited (and while you will get more money over time, getting more room is not that easy - and requires more money).

I haven´t bought the Lion Knights Castle yet, even though I would say it is my favourite Set yet produced - but it also a set that I think will stay around for some time, so I am not in a hurry to buy it. As for the Medieval Town Square, we will see when they reveal that Set if it will land on my List. If not I will just buy some Minifigures from Pick a Brick.

I don´t really collect any Theme, though there are some themes I am interested in, such as Castle, Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones etc.

Rivendell is a very great Set but I am not sure whether I will get it. As you wrote, place and money are limited and Rivendell might suffer from this. I am not really interested in Barad-Dûr so the desicision for that one is an easy skip. There are still enough Sets I would like to get but in the same time new ones get released (as the Medieval Town Square or the Dungeon and Dragons Set, that would likely be a must buy if it is close to the fan design).

In the end there are so many great Sets nowadays so in the we will have to decide which ones we really want and which we don´t, even though we would like to get them. As for what Set you should choose and which not, that is a question only you can answer. I mean everyone has a different taste and while I like the Lion Knights Castle most, you might like somethings else more ;).

The LKC is such a great set and fun build.  If you do get it you will love it.  I really like making custom figs and creating MOC's for the figs that I create and now I'm trying to get my hands on some Basil the batlord from the CMF but so far no luck, probably going to have to get a scale or a small endoscope.

I agree that there are many sets that I want but can't buy like some of the bigger marvel and Star wars sets but I just don't have the space or budget if I want to buy the MTS and Rivendell this year and Barad Dur also later this year.  

48 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

All I do is fantasy/castle sets now.  I'm building a fantasy world out of lego.  So naturally I collect anything castle and I pick up sets from HP, Ninjago, Monkie kid, Star wars, Jurassic park, Marvel/DC, etc. that I like the minifigs for customizing.  Also some of the sets are nice for castle/fantasy builds.  I usually pick up parts from PAB and bricklink.  I also only have a limited amount of space and obviously money.  That's why I decided a long time ago to stop collecting Star wars.  I'm still in the process of organizing all my bricks and minifigs.  I have several of the LOTR/Hobbit sets still intact.  I'm planning to get Rivendell this year.  

I only buy sets that I want for the minifigs or bricklink the figs now.  I buy a lot of dragons from the Ninjago line for my fantasy world and the figs are very useful.  My real issue is parts organization right now I still have a lot to sort through.  I did recently buy the Viking Village but have not built it yet.  I just bought more storage for my parts so hopefully I can get everything sorted by the end of the month.  That should free up some space for me.  I am planning on build a large display so I need to sort everything so open up space on my tables to build.  

I also found that the new Dreamzzz line has some great figs and new pieces.  

I am also planning on buying the Market coming in March.  I have the LKC and the blacksmith, the 3in1 castle and can't wait for the Market.  I'm trying to optimize my space with shelving and storage bins that are stackable.  

So basically I just buy the sets, figs, or parts that will help build my world at this point.  Although there is one space city set that has a very interesting looking spaceship that I may buy and leave in the box.  

Yeah, it seems like a lot of people do what you do. You buy the sets that have a lot of the pieces you want. You can also build the set before dismantling it which perhaps introduce you to a build technique you did not think of.

46 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

I haven´t bought the Lion Knights Castle yet, even though I would say it is my favourite Set yet produced - but it also a set that I think will stay around for some time, so I am not in a hurry to buy it.

This is actually an important point. Not a GUARANTEE, but this anniversary set, which is meant to be a brand flagship set and is selling well for a big set, will probably be around for well over the 2 years we typically see for big sets. This gives me the opportunity to save and to use LEGO's wearhouse as temporary storage.

1 hour ago, zoth33 said:

The LKC is such a great set and fun build.  If you do get it you will love it.  I really like making custom figs and creating MOC's for the figs that I create and now I'm trying to get my hands on some Basil the batlord from the CMF but so far no luck, probably going to have to get a scale or a small endoscope.

I agree that there are many sets that I want but can't buy like some of the bigger marvel and Star wars sets but I just don't have the space or budget if I want to buy the MTS and Rivendell this year and Barad Dur also later this year.  

The Lion Knights Castle is a Set I will definitely get - the question really is just when, if we would have gotten the same Black Friday deals USA got I would already call it my own ;).

50 minutes ago, Something_Awesome said:

This is actually an important point. Not a GUARANTEE, but this anniversary set, which is meant to be a brand flagship set and is selling well for a big set, will probably be around for well over the 2 years we typically see for big sets. This gives me the opportunity to save and to use LEGO's wearhouse as temporary storage.

In the end we know when Sets will retire about half a year before they - of course they also change such dates nearer to the end of the year and let them retire earlier but that seems unlikely to happen to the Lion Knights Castle - and even then there should still be plenty of time to get it.

Welcome to life as an adult collector of Lego.

I have so much old stuff packed away and unopened sets (mostly Star Wars and recent releases) that I have to just imagine what they look like built. Nowhere to put it all. No time to build or look at it. Not enough money to afford everything of interest.

Last year I built Optimus Prime, the Nexo Knights sets I bought on their release (lava monsters as a fantasy castle faction, nexos as a space faction), and a couple of Marvel spaceships. One of which has its updated version released this year, it's so old!

I haven't opened the new Castle yet, nor the companion sets, nor the blacksmith house, nor the 2 Space sets. All the Elves sets are still unopened somewhere, yet to be built. Dozens of Star Wars sets dating back to Episode VII's release and later, all stored unopened in big cardboard boxes, all waiting for a 10 bedroom house to fall into my lap or something.

NGL - space is the biggest issue for me, followed by money. I haven't got much space to display sets and I don't even have that many. Lion knights castle was the last set I got and that was after the blacksmith which was after the airjitsu temple lol. 

As for the lotr rivendell set, I didn't buy it bc space and money, but most of all bc I don't have anything lotr related in my collection.

Most of my Lego space is covered by lidl organizers, pab cups and other containers. It's gotten out of hand. I need a designated room, lmao.

My wishlist atm: market village, el dorado and the viking village. Will see...

I feel you. I am in a position similar, but mainly self imposed. I have plenty of funds, but i am trying to limit the space and time that lego consumes.

I buy anything and everything medevil, but i have not built a few large ones (rivendell) as I have not set aside space to display.

I find you can trim a collection, which helps increase space for other stuff, as you dont need to display it all at once. I was LOTR complete but I don't want the Brickheadz and I've not really got space for Rivendell. I borrowed and built it, but I won't be buying it. I've already got the original figures and I've built smaller parts of Rivendell for display, along with small parts of other scenes, without needing the whole thing. The only set I've got built as a set is Bag End. Orthanc, I went the other way and I increased that in height. The other sets, I've now either boxed away or sold without minifigs. Or used as moc parts. After a while distinct sets that are different sizes just create a messy sprawl. I prefer doing a 16x16 vignette with a few figures to create a scene. Then have a series of the same size vignettes. I find that is neater and gives me more space for other stuff on display.I do the same for SW aside from the occasional big set. I only do the original trilogy, but have most important scenes shrunk to 16x16, at least enough of them to recreate the storyline. Jabba created a big problem, needing a double slot.

Then similar for other movie franchises. So I have a 16x16 display for each of Indiana Jones, ET, The Goonies, Gremlins, Mission Impossible, Stand By Me, and so on. For those, the core characters plus a bit of scene is enough for me.

I kep the licensed and unlicensed separate (in different rooms), partly as unlicensed doesn't work so well as vignettes.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:59 AM, Artanis I said:

I haven't opened the new Castle yet, nor the companion sets, nor the blacksmith house, nor the 2 Space sets. All the Elves sets are still unopened somewhere, yet to be built. Dozens of Star Wars sets dating back to Episode VII's release and later, all stored unopened in big cardboard boxes, all waiting for a 10 bedroom house to fall into my lap or something.

LOL all I been waiting for to fall in to my lap is a 6 bedroom house. 

Yeah, well, up to 4 for people to sleep in, 1 for musical instruments, 1 for stuff/study, 1 for Castle, 1 for Space, 1 for Star Wars & others, and 1 for storing parts and for building. Big dreams are never big enough! Or you could kick everyone else out of the house? Maybe do what that guy on here years ago did, and buy the house next door to put all his Lego!?!

I collect Classic Castle over all other themes, so I have a bias towards sticking towards Classic Castle personally.  I don't own many LOTR sets aside from a Dimensions one-off and some parts here and there from Thrift Store bulk purchases.

If you are coming at this from money and space limits, I'd say LOTR might be the better pick just because there is more consistency to expectations for future releases.  They did Rivendell, they are doing Barad Dur, and we may get an Osgilliath/Minas Tirith in the future if the map is any hint.  Maaaaybe a Helms Deep remake further down the line.  Either way, I see em sticking to big sets, and spacing em years apart so it's reasonable.

For Classic Castle, being an unliscenced theme makes it much more unpredictable for what they could release.  They could suddenly make a whole theme out of it like what they seem to do with Space Moments.  Or they could do nothing at all for years, like we had before the Medieval Blacksmith.  We're kind of counting our blessings with Castle, and I'm not sure if it's worth starting if you don't have space.  I know I don't, and I still collect, and it's kind of frustrating because every Castle collector wants the subthemes like Wolfpack and Fright Knights and Dragon Masters and Black Knights to also come back, and if Lego ever does do em, there is going to be a LOT of sets and a LOT of new space needed.

TLDR;  LOTR may be more stable with consistent big releases every few years.  Classic Castle is higher risk/reward for many more sets or no sets in the future.

Edited by Triceron

Started getting into it again with the Lion Knights Castle and Medieval Blacksmith. So, it's Castle and Fantasy themed sets for me. Getting Rivendell later this year.

My main project though is a castle moc I started building last Spring. My biggest challenge is to learn all the smart designs you can build with a huge variety of brick shapes now; bricks that didn't exist when I was a kid. That's why this is likely a two year project; learning by doing and experimenting.

3 hours ago, Triceron said:

If you are coming at this from money and space limits, I'd say LOTR might be the better pick just because there is more consistency to expectations for future releases.  They did Rivendell, they are doing Barad Dur, and we may get an Osgilliath/Minas Tirith in the future if the map is any hint.  Maaaaybe a Helms Deep remake further down the line.  Either way, I see em sticking to big sets, and spacing em years apart so it's reasonable.

For Classic Castle, being an unliscenced theme makes it much more unpredictable for what they could release.  They could suddenly make a whole theme out of it like what they seem to do with Space Moments.  Or they could do nothing at all for years, like we had before the Medieval Blacksmith.  We're kind of counting our blessings with Castle, and I'm not sure if it's worth starting if you don't have space.  I know I don't, and I still collect, and it's kind of frustrating because every Castle collector wants the subthemes like Wolfpack and Fright Knights and Dragon Masters and Black Knights to also come back, and if Lego ever does do em, there is going to be a LOT of sets and a LOT of new space needed.

Hmm I would disagree here. Actually I see higher chances for Lego bringing Lord of the Rings back as a theme than castle. While surely with both themes it is possible they could bring them back, I feel like for castle they will keep doing Lion Knights Castle- like Sets and retro sets for the next future - doesn´t necessarily have to be only sets that are that big (>200€) as I would love doing them some smaller sets aswell, and they could reach an wider audience then expensive sets like the castle.

As for Lord of the Rings, it wouldn´t surpirse me if they would start doing normal sets again, since Rivendell seems to be selling well, they might consider it if Barad-Dûr is doing good aswell.

4 hours ago, Triceron said:

This is why I like displaying MOCs/MODs over sets. You can make them fit the space and be continuous / coherent, rather than having to fit in a mixture of sets at different sizes or scales. If there is a new faction, they can move in to an existing structure or destroy it and rebuild if there is no more space. Whereas squeezing in more sets into an already crowded display looks messy. Plus if they sell the minifigure parts, it can be way cheaper than buying whole new sets.

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

This is why I like displaying MOCs/MODs over sets. You can make them fit the space and be continuous / coherent, rather than having to fit in a mixture of sets at different sizes or scales. If there is a new faction, they can move in to an existing structure or destroy it and rebuild if there is no more space. Whereas squeezing in more sets into an already crowded display looks messy. Plus if they sell the minifigure parts, it can be way cheaper than buying whole new sets.

I agree.  Most of my castle sets are all combined from smaller sets to make one bigger display, and I cram as much as I can together to make use of the space.  Kinda like my profile picture, which is a moc'd up Wolfpack Tower with Majisto's workshop added, and the Black Knights are assaulting it from land and sea.  I have that as one of three displays done like this, the others being a fuller Hemlock Stronghold with forest creatures around it, and a volcanic valley battle between Dragon Knights escaping with the Dragon Wagon and some chima Wolf dudes I converted into an extended Fright Knights army.

Don't collect Star Wars, that's my advice. I'm not saying this to bash on SW, obviously the historical significance of the theme can't be underestimated. Having said that, it's really just a money pit of a theme. Constant rereleases, alt version, more grey spaceships, etc. Ive never collected SW, and I NEVER will. I enjoy the franchise, but my Lego collecting predates SW becoming a Lego theme. I collect Pirates, Castle and LOTR and I'm happy with those themes. We also have a rather large City, but if I'm honest that's a step below collecting for my big 3. The wife collects HP and my son collects JP, so we DO collect other themes as well. But for me, it's Castle, Pirates and LOTR that's where it's at. Plus LOTR is better than SW anyways. 🤪

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

Hmm I would disagree here. Actually I see higher chances for Lego bringing Lord of the Rings back as a theme than castle. While surely with both themes it is possible they could bring them back, I feel like for castle they will keep doing Lion Knights Castle- like Sets and retro sets for the next future - doesn´t necessarily have to be only sets that are that big (>200€) as I would love doing them some smaller sets aswell, and they could reach an wider audience then expensive sets like the castle.

As for Lord of the Rings, it wouldn´t surpirse me if they would start doing normal sets again, since Rivendell seems to be selling well, they might consider it if Barad-Dûr is doing good aswell.

I don't see LOTR coming back as a full theme.  There's always a chance, but it's slim, considering it's not really back in demand in general.  A new theme would have to have kid appeal, and there's nothing really in public domain that appeals to a new generation of kids.  I think that all the LOTR fans are going to be AFOLs who can afford to get the big sets, which is what TLG seems to be aiming for.

I really doubt the return of normal sized LOTR sets.  On that note, I had the same debate about Classic Castle coming back as a full theme, and I have my doubts over whether TLG will do it.  Maybe one day?  But it's difficult for me to see it happening considering the slow release of big sets and high-priced GWPs that says otherwise.  Meanwhile, we get full new waves of something completely radical and new like Sonic sets, and that kind of turned around pretty quickly after the Sonic Greenhill Ideas set, which came out about 6 months before the LKC.  I feel like if Lego were really gung-ho on any smaller sets, they would have already done it instead of just making one-offs for GWPs.

1 hour ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Don't collect Star Wars, that's my advice. I'm not saying this to bash on SW, obviously the historical significance of the theme can't be underestimated. Having said that, it's really just a money pit of a theme. Constant rereleases, alt version, more grey spaceships, etc. Ive never collected SW, and I NEVER will. I enjoy the franchise, but my Lego collecting predates SW becoming a Lego theme. I collect Pirates, Castle and LOTR and I'm happy with those themes. We also have a rather large City, but if I'm honest that's a step below collecting for my big 3. The wife collects HP and my son collects JP, so we DO collect other themes as well. But for me, it's Castle, Pirates and LOTR that's where it's at. Plus LOTR is better than SW anyways. 🤪

It is perfectly possible to collect LEGO SW without it being a money pit. You just need to define the limits for your own collection. Being a collector doesn’t mean you have to have it all. For my SW collection, I limit myself to mainly minifigures in small vignettes, original trilogy only, I don't need every variation of every outfit for every character,  only a couple of larger spaceship sets but plenty of the small advent calendar, polybag or planet series ships.

13 hours ago, Triceron said:

I collect Classic Castle over all other themes, so I have a bias towards sticking towards Classic Castle personally.  I don't own many LOTR sets aside from a Dimensions one-off and some parts here and there from Thrift Store bulk purchases.

TLDR;  LOTR may be more stable with consistent big releases every few years.  Classic Castle is higher risk/reward for many more sets or no sets in the future.

All great points. Some I had not considered.

Also, Falconfan (who is maybe the most reliable LEGO leaker?) sort of revealed on a small livestream a month or so ago that more LotR is coming BEYOND Barad-Dur. I will say this though. I have a very strong bias towards Orcs, Trolls, and Goblins. This is something we are bound to get for LotR, so it has a huge advantage there for me. However.... if we ever see a return of the Castle Troll line in the form of a large set on the scale of the Castle, or Market or Eldorado, I WILL CRY! I actually got in to Ninjago for this very reason with the Master of the Mountain wave which featured skeletons, orcs, and goblins. That's a top two LEGO wave for me.

8 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

You're not wrong about Star Wars. Tbh it is not something I have admitted to myself because nobody wants to feel like they are getting exploited. There was a marketing expert who said that it is a viable strategy for LEGO to not make the absolute best and most perfect version of a Star Wars figure so that they have room to make changes on future iterations so that the figure continues to sell sets. I am definitely dialing back my Star Wars collecting. I am hoping for an Endor MBS set. With that said, LEGO has done some pretty cool things with the theme. I think the Mos Eisley set is one of the best sets the theme has ever seen and looks great even though it's all tan LOL!

Also one thing to note, if you are looking to collect Castle just for the minis, you can always look towards Collectible Minifigures and Pick a Brick instead of buying the big sets.  It's still quite an expense, but at least you don't need to drop $300+ on a large Castle set if you're just looking for army building some Knights.  I tend to do this with the CMF line, and get 1-3 of the ones I really like, and supplement with PAB orders to fill out bigger armies of knights.  Or it also works out if you just want to collect one of each faction just for the sake of having them.

I do this with some of the more special Monkie Kid characters, and buy parts directly from PAB instead of buying all the sets.  That way I focus mostly on Castle, without completely missing out on other themes I'm interested in like Monkie Kid or like you said, the Hidden Mountain Ninjago wave that had a lot of great Orc and purple Goblin parts that can be bought straight off PAB.  You gotta be on the ball though, the PAB parts retire and the lists change on the regular.

Edited by Triceron

16 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

Don't collect Star Wars, that's my advice...

I 100% agree. I sold my Star Wars USC collection back in 2019, no regrets.

19 hours ago, Captain Pirate Man said:

110%,Star Wars has some great sets but there is simply too much to collect. All my Lego money recently has been towards fantasy/castle. I bought most of the sets I wanted as a kid last year so now my budget is strictly for pirates/LOTR/castle 

10 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

110%,Star Wars has some great sets but there is simply too much to collect. 

You don't have to have it all though. Just like you can enjoy Castle or Pirates without owning every set.

In that sense LOTR and The Hobbit are quite bad (at least the originals) as you have to own just about every set to own the main cast. It would be a bit weird to have 7 out of 9 of the Fellowship or just 10 of the company of Dwarves. Obviously now you can buy the big set and be done in one go.