Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

The amount of GoF figures this year makes me think Yule Ball is fairly likely for the advent calender so some could be repeated. The Harry and Ron variants I mentioned before could be joined by Hermione in her dress using one of the newer plastic pieces and medium legs. Side builds could also include plenty of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons stuff. 

1 hour ago, Seaber said:

The amount of GoF figures this year makes me think Yule Ball is fairly likely for the advent calender so some could be repeated. The Harry and Ron variants I mentioned before could be joined by Hermione in her dress using one of the newer plastic pieces and medium legs. Side builds could also include plenty of Durmstrang and Beauxbatons stuff. 

Next year might make more sense for a Yule Ball AC, so the exclusive or exclusive versions of the minifigs still serve as a draw for the Durmstrang / Beauxbatons set. It's basically what they did the last time, too (Clock Tower 2019 / YB AC 2020). But I'd bet you're right that they'll almost certainly do it eventually, and I think it's a good choice as themes go. As long as they don't cover too much of the same material (by which I mean the minifigs; they can knock themselves out with repeat buffet tables & co.), I'll happily buy it when the time comes. I wouldn't mind repeat Durmstrang minifigs with their cloaks, though. They were such standouts for me in the costuming. That overhead shot of them waltzing made the scene for me.  (eta: https://theartofcostume.com/2020/12/23/designing-the-yule-ball-harry-potter-and-the-goblet-of-fire/ midway down that shot of them dancing 🥰; I'll also add that, in sharp contrast to the blogger, there aren't words to describe my loathing of Hermione's abomination of a dress)  

Some year I'd love to see a revisit of this year's AC, too, but with a different focus. Maybe the DA sign-ups? With Hogsmeade always snow covered, it's just such rich Xmas material. I think this AC was my favourite yet for what it offered. 

Edited by krimimimi

22 hours ago, mark1991t said:

It looks purple tot me. Very, very dark purple yes, but purple. LEGO tends to make colors more brighter than they appear on screen through..

tmp_KdlTb4_5f0aefacc3088515_MCDHAPO_EC58

I wonder if that's just lighting though because it can also come across as indigo and even Alan Rickman's hair has tinges of the same color. It's hard to tell especially in the later HP movies where everything is so dark and gray and you can barely see any color (especially thinking of HBP).

23 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

It’s a throwback like the sand green roofs I  think. The original Snape minifig had a lot of purple. 

At least they didn't bring back the glow-in-the-dark skin for Snape.

3 hours ago, krimimimi said:

I wouldn't mind repeat Durmstrang minifigs with their cloaks, though. They were such standouts for me in the costuming. That overhead shot of them waltzing made the scene for me.  (eta: https://theartofcostume.com/2020/12/23/designing-the-yule-ball-harry-potter-and-the-goblet-of-fire/ midway down that shot of them dancing 🥰; I'll also add that, in sharp contrast to the blogger, there aren't words to describe my loathing of Hermione's abomination of a dress)  

That's a great idea to include some Durmstrang minifigs, even if they're just representing generic students. 

And I agree, I was never a fan of Hermione's pink dress, from the color to the overall design. Emma Watson seems to be a curse when it comes to movie dresses because the Belle dress from BATB is even more terrible to the point that I almost miss Hermione's Yule Ball dress in comparison.

18 minutes ago, JeanGreyForever said:

And I agree, I was never a fan of Hermione's pink dress, from the color to the overall design. Emma Watson seems to be a curse when it comes to movie dresses because the Belle dress from BATB is even more terrible to the point that I almost miss Hermione's Yule Ball dress in comparison.

Hogwarts Mystery released a book canon blue version of the dress awhile back that honestly looks a lot better, but it’s also prudent to remember that this isn’t meant to be a grand ball gown from a top designer - it’s a fancy party dress chosen by a fourteen year old girl who doesn’t care that much for fashion. In that sense, the horribly lackluster dresses sported by Fleur and the Patil twins bother me a lot more because those characters are supposed to care more about their clothes on a regular basis. 

2 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Hogwarts Mystery released a book canon blue version of the dress awhile back that honestly looks a lot better, but it’s also prudent to remember that this isn’t meant to be a grand ball gown from a top designer - it’s a fancy party dress chosen by a fourteen year old girl who doesn’t care that much for fashion. In that sense, the horribly lackluster dresses sported by Fleur and the Patil twins bother me a lot more because those characters are supposed to care more about their clothes on a regular basis. 

I looked it up, yeah, it's basically a blue version of her movie dress. Fleur's dress is a little too simple for me. The silvery gray color looks nice on her but for a Parisian girl (especially the English idea of a Parisian girl), it seems very basic and unadorned. The Patil twins had the worst dresses imo, simply garish. Even the twins' actresses have gone on record and said the clothes were awful and they hated them. But Afshan Azad, who played Padma, did say she understood that the costume designers needed to underplay everyone else in order for Hermione's dress to stand out.

In Jim Kay's illustrated editions of Harry Potter, we do see a completely different take on Hermione's blue dress which looks more like wizarding robes than a gown. And in the book, I think they were all supposed to be dressed in robes anyway.

https://i0.wp.com/blogs.princeton.edu/cotsen/wp-content/uploads/sites/88/2021/05/krum-hermione-ball.jpg?ssl=1

@Huigberts Builds, @JeanGreyForever, @Accio Lego I was still thinking about McGonagall's sleeves and saw this: https://www.picuki.com/media/3297529835406200828

So they could always use flippers... Dark green to match her dress. :pir-triumph: 

eta: sorry, I should have tagged @Seaber and not Accio Lego. Apparently I can't remember things one page to the next. :tongue:

Edited by krimimimi

17 minutes ago, krimimimi said:

@Huigberts Builds, @JeanGreyForever, @Accio Lego I was still thinking about McGonagall's sleeves and saw this: https://www.picuki.com/media/3297529835406200828

So they could always use flippers... Dark green to match her dress. :pir-triumph: 

eta: sorry, I should have tagged @Seaber and not Accio Lego. Apparently I can't remember things one page to the next. :tongue:

That’s definitely fun parts usage - but I’m not sure it’s ‘legal’ in the sense that I don’t think lego would ever allow removing minifigure hands to thread something onto the arms to be included as an official instruction. 

26 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

That’s definitely fun parts usage - but I’m not sure it’s ‘legal’ in the sense that I don’t think lego would ever allow removing minifigure hands to thread something onto the arms to be included as an official instruction. 

They'd have to make something cloth that goes onto the arms like Storm's cape. That's the only part I can think of in LEGO history that has gone over the hands to rest on the arms.

So apparently there’s going to be a new theme for the Wicked movie, and I literally could not care less except for that amazing hat. I want that hat for a Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade patron, but it’s probably going to be IP locked - very annoying. 

The last week I built some sets I had not time to build before; in those there was also the 76423_Hogwarts Express and Hogsmeade Station.

Originally I was not sure about purchasing it. I already had the 2018 75955_Howgarts Express and I was not convinced enough by the new set. In the end, I was gift with this set, so I can't compain too much, but I'm not really satisfied by this new Hogwarts Express.

Hogsmeade station is a pretty, neat building, for me it's the strongest part of the set. There one minor defects, unavoidable: using glasses for two windows break the harmony of the building, but there are no grates for the 1x2x2 frame.

Minifigure selection is obliged by the scene (Philosopher's Stone ending). Nothing special. I appreciate the new Train conductor, but for a long time collector like me minifigures don't justify the purchase of the set.

Rails pieces inclusion could be appreciated for exposing purposes and to push parents into buying more rails for their kids :laugh: but the fact that you can't even put the entire train on the rails is a small minus.

What I find really lacking in comparison with the 2018 set is the train. The new locomotive seems, at least for my unexpert eye, more faithfull to the original train but the space for the conductor is so small that not even a kid minifigure could stay in it unless without hairpiece. For playability this is a strong minus. Even the tender has less playability than the 2018 version, in which this part can be opened. And for the carriage... I've read one of the designers saying that roof is lighter in a new train and becames darker for smoke, but I wouldn't have change a long time element of this LEGO train, that has black roof since 2001... and I don't remember ever having seen this light grey for the Hogwarts Express even outside of LEGO. Even the decision of having two carriages instead of one, driven by the request of LEGO fan, while appreciable in theory doesn't end very well in practice. In my opinion the final result is like having a modelling locomotive pulling two toy carriages. I find it really out of proportion in the end, even for a playset, both as a stand alone and in comparison with the 2018 train.

Concluding, I find the train a worse version of the 2018, both in term of playability and representation. I save the Hogsmeade station. Probably buying pieces to build the station and purchasing only the train conductor would have been a better idea. But, as I said, it was a gift, so really I can't complain too much :iamded_lol: Now the 2018 Hogwarts Express is near the Hogsmeade Station in my Hogsmeade section, while the 2023 locomotive and tender with no carriages in King's Cross.

Edited by BrickMatit

I really hope this Years Advent Calendar gives us Karkaroff wearing his grey outfit, I imagine in the ship set he will have his white arrival coat which can be repurposed as his Yule ball outfit. Then we would have 2 varieties to balance the Madame Maxime figures we already have.

Extra students from both schools with random faces for background students would be so awesome too.

I updated my wishlist:

Harry, Ball suit without jacket (new torso print)

Ron, Ball suit without jacket (new torso print)

Ginny, Ball dress (new torso and dress/brick prints), OR alternatively Fleur in lake task swimsuit (new torso)

Karkaroff, Lake task (new print torso)

Durmstrang student (repeat parts)

Beauxbatons student (repeat parts)

Merperson (repeat parts)

So that would be only 4-5 new prints but fantastic fan service for adding to existing sets such as the lake task. 

Edited by Bugbot20082

finally got my hands on gringotts. its a great set, but I just wouldve felt so much better about the purchase if it was just the building and maybe another shop, the underground section really just doesnt do it for me. 

Also, had the thought that autumn from the newer friends sets hair might work well for a deathly hallows pt 2 hermione

8 hours ago, Surge said:

finally got my hands on gringotts. its a great set, but I just wouldve felt so much better about the purchase if it was just the building and maybe another shop, the underground section really just doesnt do it for me.

I haven't built it yet, but I agree with you. Already having Diagon Alley, I really would have prefered if Gringott was paired with other buildings at street level, like Leaky Cauldron and Borgin and Burkes... For this reason, for me, while Diagon Alley is a 9/10 rating set, Gringotts is a 7/10 rating set.

If Lego does a Grimmauld or Burrow-themed Advent calendar, what minifigs and builds would you want to see included (that aren't already in the non-Advent sets)? I'm finding it difficult to come up with a wish list. For Grimmauld, an injured Mr. Weasley minifig in a crown seems a bit grim and not a useful figure outside of that one scene. In terms of builds, the broomstick Santa at Grimmauld and the ice-skating snowman cake at the Burrow are too small to build on a scale to display with the minifigs. So what would be better options that you'd be excited to get?       

10 hours ago, Xenophilius said:

If Lego does a Grimmauld or Burrow-themed Advent calendar, what minifigs and builds would you want to see included (that aren't already in the non-Advent sets)? I'm finding it difficult to come up with a wish list. For Grimmauld, an injured Mr. Weasley minifig in a crown seems a bit grim and not a useful figure outside of that one scene. In terms of builds, the broomstick Santa at Grimmauld and the ice-skating snowman cake at the Burrow are too small to build on a scale to display with the minifigs. So what would be better options that you'd be excited to get?       

We got Sirius from the wanted poster which took a long while to work out so nothing is off the table 😅

I’ve have a think about this too and here are some of my ideas:

Figures: 

Kreacher (repeat from the set)

Sirius Black, from the final battle 

Ephelious Douge + broom, based on OotP 

OotP Death Eater (could have a new mask print)

Umbridge, new variant 

builds: mop, sponge and bucket for kreacher, Prophesies shelf, Kitchenet for GP, Christmas cake and broom Santa as you mentioned (I think they could be approximated), furniture for Umbridge’s office, dragon fireworks, mini ministry fountain, a recolour of a dog for Ron’s patronus, mini thestral carriage, 

Its a hard film to cover 😅, maybe some HP filler such as a detailed Hall lectern, another Christmas tree, gifts colour coded on members of the order such as Moody, Tonks, Kingsley and Sirius

Moody’s broomstick?:

www.instagram.com/p/C0T8mEroGbW/?igsh=MWlydXRiM2UzZ2NlbQ==

Edited by Bugbot20082

3 hours ago, Xenophilius said:

Grimmauld Place:

Going off the normal 6 minifigs - golden trio with their outfits from the Christmas scene, Sirius Black (either Christmas or final battle), Kreacher and Mrs. Weasley repeats. 
For builds - things like the kitchen table and other pieces of Grimmauld furniture in addition to the normal Christmas tree, I’d also expect a lamppost and snowman since the scene starts with an outside shot. 

The Burrow - 

6 minifigs - Harry with new torso, bathrobe Ginny, Lupin, Bellatrix with Gringotts torso and skirt with new head, Tonks repeat, Greyback repeat

For builds - plenty of Burrow furniture options, chairs, sofa, tables with food, the iconic clock. Add in a Christmas tree and presents along with some outdoor builds (marsh plants and frog, flames, etc.) and you’ve got plenty to work with. 

The success of Hogwarts Legacy and rumors that a sequel is more a when than an if is making me wonder if we could ever get sets on the games. That's never been an issue with Star Wars but Harry Potter isn't Star Wars, so I don't know.

It’s odd that the flying car finally introduces the 1x2 slope tile without grills, and then the boathouse uses the old version with grills anyway. Surely they could’ve found the budget to recolor the new piece?

10 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

The success of Hogwarts Legacy and rumors that a sequel is more a when than an if is making me wonder if we could ever get sets on the games. That's never been an issue with Star Wars but Harry Potter isn't Star Wars, so I don't know.

I'd say that it's unlikely, since the game has a customisable main character. 

Not only that, but it's kinda pointless from LEGO's POV — the builds would be probably the same Hogwarts expansions we're getting, but with less recognisable minifigures. Regular expansions with Harry, Hermione and Ron would sell better.

10 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I'd say that it's unlikely, since the game has a customisable main character. 

Not only that, but it's kinda pointless from LEGO's POV — the builds would be probably the same Hogwarts expansions we're getting, but with less recognisable minifigures. Regular expansions with Harry, Hermione and Ron would sell better.

That's a good point. It wouldn't be very helpful to have a protagonist who could look like anyone and be in any house. Even the other students who are established characters like Sebastian, Natsai, Poppy, Amit, Ominis, etc. could easily be created with spare parts and spare Hogwarts uniforms. The Hogwarts trunk already accomplishes that.

16 hours ago, Bugbot20082 said:

Ashnflash has video reviews up for the new wave of sets 

The Hagrid's Hut looks so cosy. I love that one.

The placement of the clips to attach the Forbidden Forest set is pretty strange though. They make sense for the included side builds, but not the Forest, when they really should be at the back. The designer could've just included attachment spots at both the front and back for maximum options.

I thought it was kind of amusing how Ash made a big deal out of the hut being fully enclosed when literally every Hagrid's Hut besides the last one, going back to the very beginning, has been fully enclosed.

2 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

The Hagrid's Hut looks so cosy. I love that one.

The placement of the clips to attach the Forbidden Forest set is pretty strange though. They make sense for the included side builds, but not the Forest, when they really should be at the back. The designer could've just included attachment spots at both the front and back for maximum options.

I thought it was kind of amusing how Ash made a big deal out of the hut being fully enclosed when literally every Hagrid's Hut besides the last one, going back to the very beginning, has been fully enclosed.

To be fair, this is our first enclosed hut since 2010 - over 14 years ago! I can see how he'd be excited.

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

To be fair, this is our first enclosed hut since 2010 - over 14 years ago! I can see how he'd be excited.

I think the 2001’s verison is the first enclosed one?

12 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I think the 2001’s verison is the first enclosed one?

You are correct.