BrickBob Studpants

Despicable Me 2024 - Rumours & Discussion

Codename „orange“ turned out to be Despicable Me 4! The theme will launch in May at Smyths and June elsewhere. The following 5 sets are part of the theme:

• 30678, 48 pcs, €3.99, 6+
  • 75580, 136 pcs, €24.99, 6+
  • 75581, 379 pcs, €39.99, 7+
  • 75582, 839 pcs, €54.99, 9+
  • 75583, 868 pcs, €99.99, 8+

The price difference between the last two is striking, given the similar piece count!! *huh* Combined with the higher age recommendation, I guess 75582 could be a buildable figure?

I thought Minions theme didn’t sell very well a few years ago? Now I’m curios abut this one….

I wonder if the minions will be redesigned in a way… Probably not, but they‘ll look huge next to the human characters, especially the three girls :laugh_hard: They even gave kid Gru normal legs in the Minions sets to adjust for that! 

17 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I wonder if the minions will be redesigned in a way… Probably not, but they‘ll look huge next to the human characters, especially the three girls :laugh_hard: They even gave kid Gru normal legs in the Minions sets to adjust for that! 

I wan’t interested in buy entire Minions set but only grabbed Minion characters. I don’t like that Gru wiht normal legs right next to Belle Bottom character. 

Talking about scale problem!

15 hours ago, Lion King said:

I thought Minions theme didn’t sell very well a few years ago? Now I’m curios abut this one….

Covid messed up the movie production and scheduling. The sets came out long before the movie, so sat on shelves for a long time.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

Covid messed up the movie production and scheduling. The sets came out long before the movie, so sat on shelves for a long time.

And split up into two mini-releases too, which likely didn't help get the shelf presence that a full wave would. Having said that, they were generally expensive for what they were, and I think had limited play potential compared to similar Friends or City sets. The wider range of price points this time may suggest a broader array of play experiences that could lead to greater interest.

Since Indy and Avatar are both dead, I now have quite a lot of unused space that was intended for them, perfect for this theme :snicker:

I haven’t seen the third movie and don’t really care about the fourth one either, but the first two I liked quite a bit, so I hope the sets feature lots of locations, vehicles, and characters that also appeared there :thumbup: 

We now have some set names, courtesy of @Brick Clicker:

• 75580 Banana Car $24.99
  • 75581 Minions Party Bus $39.99
  • 75582 Buildable Minions $59.99
  • 75583 Gru's House $99.99

Pretty strong focus on the minions, unsurprisingly :laugh: 

Posted (edited)

A blurry picture of the Gru minifig has leaked! Lack of a nose aside, it‘s a cool minifig! :thumbup: Glad they gave him the scarf piece in LBG rather than using a print like they did with Kid Gru

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Gru‘s house allegedly includes the entire family (Gru, Lucy, the three girls, and Gru Jr)! :thumbup: Awesome to have all of them in the same set!

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Gru‘s house allegedly includes the entire family (Gru, Lucy, the three girls, and Gru Jr)! :thumbup: Awesome to have all of them in the same set!

Oooo that gonna be sweet!!!

Two of the sets have been revealed! Gru‘s house looks cool, but I have no idea what‘s going on with these minion mutant abominations :laugh_hard: And the less said about buildable Gru, the better *huh*

I think the buildable Gru looks pretty decent besides the head, DND for the head it would've looked so much better if they'd just printed his eyes of regular 1*1 bricks not snot attached round 1*1 tiles.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

but I have no idea what‘s going on with these minion mutant abominations

Yeah I thought they all looked weird.

33 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Can’t decide which is the weirdest: HAL 9000, Aunt Marge, or Mr Fantastic :laugh_hard: Seems to be a plot point they’ve hidden so far

40 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

[…] the head it would've looked so much better if they'd just printed his eyes of regular 1*1 bricks not snot attached round 1*1 tiles.

Maybe, but think of the possibilities! These tiles will be used for so so many unholy abominations, it’s gonna be glorious :laugh_hard:

33 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Maybe, but think of the possibilities! These tiles will be used for so so many unholy abominations, it’s gonna be glorious :laugh_hard:

Stick them straight on the 'Aunt Marge minion'.

6 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I think the buildable Gru looks pretty decent besides the head, DND for the head it would've looked so much better if they'd just printed his eyes of regular 1*1 bricks not snot attached round 1*1 tiles.

Same. Honestly even with the horrifying eyes, I think it looks hilarious and is 100% something I could see people putting on their desks. I think they shot themselves in the foot adding all the weird minion outfits though- if the set had just been gru, for like $35-40, I think it would do really well. I know I'd have gotten one!

The mutant minions are apparently indeed a spoiler, since TLG has sent out the wrong version of the set images and is now trying to fix it :laugh: The rest of the sets will be revealed on April 22nd it seems

16 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The mutant minions are apparently indeed a spoiler, since TLG has sent out the wrong version of the set images and is now trying to fix it :laugh: The rest of the sets will be revealed on April 22nd it seems

I don't get why they are trying to hide the mutated minions when the movie doesn't release until July, and the sets are going to be released in May. Also, without the side builds, the house looks really terrible value, so there's not much point in revealing just half of the set early. Do it right, or not at all. This was a case of not needing to do an early reveal, so why bother?

I rather like the house. It seems very shallow, which is a shame. I hope one of the other sets might connect with it to provide more interior. The side builds aren't that interesting, but add a lot to the cost sadly.

The buildable figures aren't great. The Minions are the wrong shape. The base is quite parts heavy for a function that no one will use, surely? And Gru is really spoilt by the eyes, the gaps, the shaping at the side of his head. Oh well.

Hopefully something nicer with the other sets in a few weeks.

As I said on Brickset: The house, from the outside, looks like it could go in Hogsmeade. It has the high-pitched roof and muted color scheme of their buildings. I might just have to look at the instructions someday to see if I can add a back to it as well. ...and maybe second floor. (if I felt daring!) If I did get the set, I'd sell the figs for a quick buck to recoup costs, of course.

So this theme was around for the last Despicable Me movie, and was brought back for this new one. Maybe I am asking for too much but I wish they had just invested in a new mould for Gru. Maybe not a big fig, but think a mid sized fig like Hagrid. This figure simply does not capture the essence of Gru, and given how they keep brining this theme back (okay brought back once but still..) I think it would have been worth investing in a new mould.  They could even make the most of said mould by releasing Legacy sets of the older movies and throw Gru in some of those to profit off said mould. The house looks cute and currently unsure if I really want it. This theme is not great or terrible for me so far, kind of middle of the pack. Somewhat meh. Maybe on a discount I wouldn't mind scooping this up. The house that is. That buildable Gru set is um... how do you say, creepy? Lol.

The banana car set has just been revealed! It‘s almost a minion battlepack in a way :laugh_hard: The mutated minions continue to look pretty strange 

The banana car is neat, but seems vastly overpriced at $25. I was shocked at seeing the price after the photos.