Sign in to follow this  
TeddytheSpoon

[MOC] 1:64 scale Swiss trains - latest addition: Tm'' shunting tractor

Hello Train Techies!

A few weeks ago, I decided I'd like to make a model of a Swiss locomotive on LEGO's narrow-gauge track. So, I did... But not the one I intended!

Initially I was going to make something at minifigure scale, and I probably stil will at some point. But during the planning I noticed that using the narrow-gauge track as scaled standard (1,435mm) gauge track gave a scale of almost exactly 1:64 (1:63.77, to be precise). So I decided to make something at that scale instead!

53380156132_5207db55e4_c.jpg

You may be familiar with the locomotive - after all, there have been loads of great brick-built models of it already. This is the Re460, or Lok2000 on the other side of the Röstigraben. It's the main passenger workhorse of the SBB/CFF/FFS fleet, and one that I grew very familiar with growing up around Lake Geneva.

53381517705_bb73f92246_c.jpg

Although I haven't seen many LEGO models at this scale, it's not an uncommon one in other areas of modelling. It's known as S gauge in train circles, but is more commonly used for miniatures and Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, among other things. It makes this loco roughly 5.5 studs wide - this model is, nominally, 5.6 wide. So aside from the wheels being on the small side, proportionally I think it's alright!

It can handle R84 TrixBrix track, but won't go much smaller than that without further modification.

53381079256_0310003559_c.jpg

This is my first attempt at any sort of LEGO train, and although I'm pleased with the result I think there is still room for improvement. The fluted bricks mean I haven't got the CFF logo on the side; the area around the cab is a bit too angular for my liking; and that coupling probably won't haul much rolling stock as is. Nevertheless, I'm quite proud of the result.

53381397309_57e085767c_c.jpg

Speaking of rolling stock - I do have more planned at this scale, so watch this space! I hope you enjoy my model as much as I enjoyed making it.

Stay tuned...

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

Excellent scale model. Are you planning to motorise it or is it a static model? We can't see the wheels, I'm guessing they are the tiny ones?

1 hour ago, idlemarvel said:

Excellent scale model. Are you planning to motorise it or is it a static model? We can't see the wheels, I'm guessing they are the tiny ones?

Thank you! Yes, it uses the smallest LEGO train wheel. It's the closest fit at this scale, and aesthetically it's the one that looks the best as well IMO.

I have briefly thought about motorisation - but only briefly. There is a fair bit of space inside, so some Circuit Cube bits would probably fit. I think traction would be the main issue; even pushing it around now on the TrixBrix track, the wheels don't spin all the time, so it would need some extra grip to pull it along. I did see someone who motorised these wheels using rubber bands and a Technic half bush, but I'm not sure how well that worked.

If I'm feeling brave down the line (pun intended), I may try and make some older locos with bigger wheels that can accommodate o-rings or rubber bands. I think the next loco I try will be the Re 4/4 II, and the next wheel size up would probably fit quite well for that, so it might be more straighforward to power. But for now I'm content pushing this around by hand!

Thank you all!

21 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Excellent work making this lok 5.5 wide, but still able to run on track. The proportions look correct.

I'm glad you think so - proportions were more important to me than capturing every small detail, particularly since I don't have to worry about fitting minifigures in there. Making this has given me a new appreciation for Sariel's scaler tool, among other things!

Blimey!! That’s a proper build. Congratulations on getting the shape and details down to this scale.

Any news on motorising this? Circuit Cubes would be the way to do it, but with those tiny wheels you will likely need some gearing as the CC motors turn quite slowly. 

1 hour ago, Hod Carrier said:

Blimey!! That’s a proper build. Congratulations on getting the shape and details down to this scale.

Any news on motorising this? Circuit Cubes would be the way to do it, but with those tiny wheels you will likely need some gearing as the CC motors turn quite slowly. 

Thank you!

Nothing to report on the motorising front I'm afraid. I've been focussing on getting some rolling stock made, which strangely has proven more of a challenge than the loco!

I agree it would almost certainly need some gearing, and I have no idea how I'd go about it at the moment. The bogies aren't very big (only 2 x 5 studs and 4 plates tall), and the space immediately above it is taken up with the structure for the cab. Cramming everything in is therefore going to be a not inconsiderable re-design...

Ha I love the 460, this is an amazing build as well. Especially considering the size. Congratulations

Posted (edited)

It's taken me longer to update this than it should have done, but I can finally share some photos of the first bit of rolling stock!

53578567499_f1e16b189e_c.jpg

Naturally, I had to build some coaches for the Re460 to pull along. Or, er, a coach. I actually finished this at the start of the year, but have been on the fence about posting it as is. There are a few things I think could be improved, including the buffers, the flexing sidewalls... And the big one, the scale.

53578458793_7f9de82da7_c.jpg

I posted about this here last week, but in short, building this coach revealed a short-coming of this scale and its frequent use of the small LEGO train wheel. When I built the coach, the clearance to the track looked totally wrong. So I raised it up by a plate, even though it's now not to scale, strictly speaking. And it had the added benefit of allowing space for the couplings. But next to the Re460, it doesn't look right - the roofline of the coach should be noticeably lower than that of the loco, by about - well - a plate.

53578567504_30294e902f_c.jpg

In the end, I think I'll probably tweak the Re460 to be taller. The rails will also be wildly oversized for the scale, so I figure it's better to make everything above that match, and make the track clearance look 'about' right. I've designed a few more items with the same thing in mind (stay tuned for those in a few weeks!) and it's a reasonable compromise, I think.

I was hoping I'd be able to copy-paste this design of coach to make a full consist - until I realised that the second-class coaches have 11 windows, not 10 like these first-class ones! So that will be the next thing to work out. I might even build them in the old dark green CFF livery... If I can afford it!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

The coach looks good. As for the height between them, only a rivet counter would complain. I think they look great together.

Thanks all!

13 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

The coach looks good. As for the height between them, only a rivet counter would complain. I think they look great together.

42, 43, 44... I think I'm running low on rivets! :laugh: it's true that it's less noticeable from a distance. If I ever create the double-decked CFF coach, maybe that will be the time to look at the heights and any possible rebuilds in detail.

On 3/12/2024 at 6:30 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Impressively small!

If you thought that was impressively small, wait 'til you see what I've got next!

53605199251_79d9ec146e_c.jpg

This little guy is a Tm'' (or Tm II). It was a shunting tractor built in the late 50s-early 60s that remained in use until about 2010. Despite that designation, though, it was more often used by maintenance crews to travel up and down the network, hauling parts, spares and tools if necessary.

53605411053_d8ee6b3864_c.jpg

I was going to make one or both of its shunting siblings - Tm' or Tm''' - first, as I have more vivid memories of seeing those in train yards. But I haven't been able to find any good type sketches to use as references for those, unlike the Tm''. Besides, chances are I did go past one and I just don't remember it. It was a long time ago, after all...

53605662370_cd23e9d154_c.jpg

For hauling parts around, I've also built a Ks flatbed wagon. These are still part of the CFF Cargo fleet today, so I'm not sure if the Tm''s would have ever pulled them, but I still think it looks the part... Even if it is a bit flexible in the middle, as this picture shows!

I had a blast building this one; it helped that I had the new wedge tiles to hand, courtesy of the Speed Champions Mustang Dark Horse. They're a perfect fit for the lower end panels. It's also surprisingly solid. I've dropped it a few times and the only bit that's really prone to pop off is the running boards!

Love it and your attention to detail at that scale. The front lights, coupling, snowplough, buffers are all wonderfully done. I especially like the interior lights. And the flat wagon in tow is pretty cool as well.

What new wedge tiles are you referring to?

8 hours ago, idlemarvel said:

Love it and your attention to detail at that scale. The front lights, coupling, snowplough, buffers are all wonderfully done. I especially like the interior lights. And the flat wagon in tow is pretty cool as well.

What new wedge tiles are you referring to?

That's very kind, thank you!

The wedge tiles are these ones in dark bley - the Ford Mustang includes two pairs of them. I've found them a welcome addition to the tile family!

The Tm is a great piece. I like how you've got sideways building techniques to make it work at such a small scale.