Ngoc Nguyen

42180 Mars Crew Exploration Rover

13 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

At least it's something original and not yet another boring licensed car or construction machine. It's clear that these sets are not targeted at AFOL's and Technic fans but at children. I would have loved this set as a kid. I used to have Contrux and I remember how much I loved building space bases and vehicles.

Absolutely!

5 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

It could at least have been designed with a little more finesse. Look at the Surface Space Loader - functional, but it has some visual swish to it.

The thing is; space vehicles tend to be ugly in real life as well :laugh:

Well, of the four Space Technic sets, this is the one that NASA had a say in design, so it's expected that it looks more like the latter than the former.

15 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Expectations vs. Reality

Lol. Exactly :laugh:

6 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Well, of the four Space Technic sets, this is the one that NASA had a say in design, so it's expected that it looks more like the latter than the former.

Yup. Reality can be harsh :laugh:

I built a replica of this set ysing the only speedbuild on youtuve at the time, this was on on the 29/2/2024

I didnt add much of the system stuff because I cba and theres too much stuff that isnt functional.

But i'll add diffs, steering and suspension on all axles as well as put worm gears on the mechanism which shortens/lenthens the entire vehicle.

But then I'm done because im not a fan of this set.

2 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Woah, C-models already? Cool.

Technically, he calls it the B-model. ;) Or did you see another alternative build already?

4 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Technically, he calls it the B-model. ;) Or did you see another alternative build already?

No, it's just that this set never had an official B-model.

That is a nice C-model! Well done.

Looking at it, I am not quite sure why we needed another red/orange color. I absolutely love what TLG did with the space sets across all themes, but I am not convinced we needed that color.

7 minutes ago, Jim said:

Looking at it, I am not quite sure why we needed another red/orange color. I absolutely love what TLG did with the space sets across all themes, but I am not convinced we needed that color.

I think it's used on actual space/exoplanetary equipment.

Plus, Porsha Crystal wears it in Sing 2.

FRxYPLbXwAEgCGZ?format=jpg&name=large

2 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

I think it's used on actual space/exoplanetary equipment.

Do you have any examples? Never seen this before.

3 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Plus, Porsha Crystal wears it in Sing 2.

LoL fair enough

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Do you have any examples? Never seen this before.

Well, there's Porsha, and also The Martian.

martian3.jpg

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Jim said:

My speculation is that the new Reddish Orange color was specifically developed for NASA's Artemis 1 SLS Rocket which will be released this year as the Icons set nr. 10341 with 3601 pieces. And they wanted this years space color scheme to look different from previous white+orange+black combo.

Edited by R0Sch
wrong quote

16 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Well, there's Porsha, and also The Martian.

O wow, The Martian indeed. Never realized he wore this color. I stand corrected :wink:

I love this new color :laugh:

32 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

My speculation is that the new Reddish Orange color was specifically developed for NASA's Artemis 1 SLS Rocket which will be released this year as the Icons set nr. 10341 with 3601 pieces. And they wanted this years space color scheme to look different from previous white+orange+black combo.

Is that what 10341 is rumored to be now?

On 3/6/2024 at 7:41 PM, Jim said:

Thanks !

If people are interested into this B model, check this topic 👍

I found the review more informative and helpful. Here he talks about the pivot point issue between oscillating axles and the actual plantery hub-axles. LOL, the mini Kill-E has better/smoother negotiation with objects for suspension. 

Posted (edited)

I just got my hands on the latest Technic space sets and I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed to say the least. The orrery and VTOL are the best by far. I really don't understand the loader and find the play features...just dumb. The rover has a bloated piece count and inexplicably awkward, kludgy mechanisms that are virtually unplayable. The whole Technic space line just seems thrown together. Into the parts bin inventory they go!

Edited by shroomzofdoom