MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I never liked adult sub lines, not a fan of gimmicks in general. Feels absurd to me to buy Harry Potter brickbuilt glasses or those tiny Star Wars helmets. Dioramas are cool and have potential, but they could have been even better as playsets. Mos Espa is pretty terrible though and I wouldn't be surprised if 2 polybag builds for $80 end up not selling well and ending the sub line. 

Never saw the appeal of helmets, would rather spend $20-$30 more and get an actual replica from Hasbro. I do know the 1st wave sold well, but it was just all downhill from there, could be because they restricted it to helmets only. Personally I would never buy one no matter the price or character.

Midi scale sets will end up like helmets. There is only a handful of ships they can actually make that would sell well like Venator and Star Destroyer, if we are really getting 3 midi scaled sets per year they will quickly get to obscure ships that casual fans won't recognize and run the line into the ground maybe even inside 2 years.

Dying to see the mandalorian battle pack.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

Dioramas are cool and have potential, but they could have been even better as playsets.

They could, at a fraction of the level of detail. Dioramas are works of art by comparison to play sets. There’s a charm in having a Lego-fied version of the thing you’re interested in. I only collect Lego because of nostalgia and because of the building process, I have no interest in other “high end” replicas or toys that are ready to display out of the box and offer no interactivity. 

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

Midi scale sets will end up like helmets. There is only a handful of ships they can actually make that would sell well like Venator and Star Destroyer, if we are really getting 3 midi scaled sets per year they will quickly get to obscure ships that casual fans won't recognize and run the line into the ground maybe even inside 2 years.

Huh? That just... isn't true at all. The fact one of the midi ships this year is the Millenium Falcon means that basically any Star Wars ship larger than a single-seater can work in this line, not just huge capital ships. Even if LEGO doesn't branch outside of their current bounds for 18+ sets (the first six movies, Clone Wars, and Mandalorian), there are well over a dozen ships I'd say are more well-known than the Invisible Hand that would make for great midi-scale sets. Especially since the main draw for many people is that they're essentially UCS-quality builds at an affordable price and easily displayable size, to try and say they're as niche as the helmets is just plain silly.

Posted (edited)

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

Edited by Renown

7 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I'm very curious about this, especially since the only diorama we got this year was a midi-scale setup. I know a lot of people complained on the figure-based dioramas that they should have just been regular playsets, and I have to wonder if this is LEGO's decision based on that - release dioramas of midi scale scenes alongside midi ships, and save fig-based locations for playsets... But only time will tell if this is actually the case. 

I am one of the biggest proponents of the dioramas, but even I wouldn't complain if they disappeared in favor of more non 18+ sets again. And when LEGO puts a solid $25-ish set in as a GWP, it further reminds me how far we have fallen from the huge cheaper playset spring waves of 2017 to now. 

I can understand the sentiment of keeping minifig sets as playsets. LEGO is clearly a toy and should always be. But I have to say, the only LEGO Star Wars sets I have are a couple of UCS sets, some dioramas, and midiscale ships. I wonder if they found that they open up a further audience for them, hence a greater push to 18+, perhaps more so than other lines?

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I never liked adult sub lines, not a fan of gimmicks in general. Feels absurd to me to buy Harry Potter brickbuilt glasses or those tiny Star Wars helmets. Dioramas are cool and have potential, but they could have been even better as playsets. Mos Espa is pretty terrible though and I wouldn't be surprised if 2 polybag builds for $80 end up not selling well and ending the sub line. 

Never saw the appeal of helmets, would rather spend $20-$30 more and get an actual replica from Hasbro. I do know the 1st wave sold well, but it was just all downhill from there, could be because they restricted it to helmets only. Personally I would never buy one no matter the price or character.

Dying to see the mandalorian battle pack.

Agreed that they could well over do the midiscale ships. If me happy if they released an SSD and that was it. Maybe a Venator, as the UCS set is cool, and I like the shape and color scheme. But yes, it quickly gets into obscure stuff at this scale. Fewer sets or year over longer period would be my preference, although they may find that a three year span is optimal for sales.

28 minutes ago, Renown said:

Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

1984? Hmmmmm

37 minutes ago, TheUnusualBuilder said:

Huh? That just... isn't true at all. The fact one of the midi ships this year is the Millenium Falcon means that basically any Star Wars ship larger than a single-seater can work in this line, not just huge capital ships. Even if LEGO doesn't branch outside of their current bounds for 18+ sets (the first six movies, Clone Wars, and Mandalorian), there are well over a dozen ships I'd say are more well-known than the Invisible Hand that would make for great midi-scale sets. Especially since the main draw for many people is that they're essentially UCS-quality builds at an affordable price and easily displayable size, to try and say they're as niche as the helmets is just plain silly.

What would be your list, out if curiosity. I've only seen the movies once, so mostly know things from pop culture references. I don't know if an X-wing at this scale would have the same appeal, but thinking about it, it could work.

37 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

What would be your list, out if curiosity. I've only seen the movies once, so mostly know things from pop culture references. I don't know if an X-wing at this scale would have the same appeal, but thinking about it, it could work.

Alright. My list (in chronological order) is:

1. Republic Frigate

2. Trade Federation Droid Control Battleship 

3. Trade Federation Landing Craft

4. Naboo Royal Starship

5. Republic Gunship

6. Count Dooku's Solar Sailer (this is probably the most obscure on this list, but would be a gorgeous display model if done well)

7. The Malevolence

8. Venator-class Republic Star Destroyer

9. Imperial Star Destroyer

10. Death Star or Death Star II

11. Jabba's Sail Barge

12. Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser

13. Lambda-class Imperial Shuttle

14. The Razor Crest

I could also see them putting out a wide-release remake of the midi-scale Nebulon-B Frigate, but since the first version of that is fairly recent I didn't include it on the list. I'm also not saying LEGO would make all of these (the Trade Federation Landing Craft and Solar Sailer are more pipe dream than prediction), but I think this subtheme has a fair few years worth of untapped set material.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, TheUnusualBuilder said:

Alright. My list (in chronological order) is:

1. Republic Frigate

2. Trade Federation Droid Control Battleship 

3. Trade Federation Landing Craft

4. Naboo Royal Starship

5. Republic Gunship

6. Count Dooku's Solar Sailer (this is probably the most obscure on this list, but would be a gorgeous display model if done well)

7. The Malevolence

8. Venator-class Republic Star Destroyer

9. Imperial Star Destroyer

10. Death Star or Death Star II

11. Jabba's Sail Barge

12. Home One Mon Calamari Star Cruiser

13. Lambda-class Imperial Shuttle

14. The Razor Crest

I could also see them putting out a wide-release remake of the midi-scale Nebulon-B Frigate, but since the first version of that is fairly recent I didn't include it on the list. I'm also not saying LEGO would make all of these (the Trade Federation Landing Craft and Solar Sailer are more pipe dream than prediction), but I think this subtheme has a fair few years worth of untapped set material.

Nice. I was pleased that I knew some of those from the actual movies (2, 4, 9, and 10), and then some from LEGO sets 5, 8, 11, 13, 14). I did like the look of the Nebulon-B Frigate when it was released, and hope they do another. It's an interesting shape and gets you away from every set being, very crudely, a grey wedge.

In fact, that's rather inspired me to piece together a Nebulon-B Frigate, and add it to the others I have. I don't need the sticker, and the only other expensive parts are a light grey fez and a dark grey three-toothed plate, both of which are available in pearl grey, which is close enough. BrickHunter tells me it's $45 to get from Pick a Brick. Given inflation the last three years, you could even describe that as being cheaper than when it was first released!

OMG! Cheapest on Bricklink is $140 in Hong Kong. One in Canada, then the rest in the US starting from $165. Definitely PAB for parts, instead of a $100-$120 box, sticker, and a 12 slightly different coloured pieces.

Edited by RichardGoring

3 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

They could, at a fraction of the level of detail. Dioramas are works of art by comparison to play sets. There’s a charm in having a Lego-fied version of the thing you’re interested in. I only collect Lego because of nostalgia and because of the building process, I have no interest in other “high end” replicas or toys that are ready to display out of the box and offer no interactivity. 

Exactly. I didn't get either of the old emperor's throne rooms in the past decade, but the diorama is one of my favorite sets. They're just the right level of complexity and look while still having the lego feel.

1 hour ago, Renown said:

Not sure about this one. I have two guesses given the quote:

1. There is a character that originated around 1984 coming, or some sort of surveillance character/build. Not sure what it'd be.

2. Given the specific qoute, it's possible Renown unfortunately was found and has to stop leaking. Truly sorry if it is the latter.

Ok, can someone set me straight on the current state of affairs with the anniversary figs? I've become disoriented with all of the changes lol. Here's what I can tell so far:

Darth Malak

Saw Gerrera

Cal Kestis

Fives

Nien Nunb

R2-KT

Am I missing anyone? Do I have anyone incorrect?

2 hours ago, Renown said:

Okay. So, the last lines of 1984...

I can only find two things that relate to that year on Wookiepedia: the birth years of E. K. Johnston, who wrote the Ahsoka novel, or, it's a refence to the year that Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure released.

If it's a refence to the first one... The only thing I can think of is that the Inquisitor that goes after Ahsoka, and it's a reference to us getting a set for Tales of the Empire (which has a shot of the same Inquisitor).

I think the second one makes more sense though... What is "Young Leia" is actually the girl from the film, Cindel Towani? And the "Creature Build" is an Ewok? It even came out at the end of 1984, and the line comes from the end of the book. Now that would be a deep cut.

Unless the line is supposed to be more literal, and it's a hint at a character that's accepted defeat/been brainwashed and indoctrinated. Something to do with the First Order? Barriss?

31 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not sure about this one. I have two guesses given the quote:

1. There is a character that originated around 1984 coming, or some sort of surveillance character/build. Not sure what it'd be.

2. Given the specific qoute, it's possible Renown unfortunately was found and has to stop leaking. Truly sorry if it is the latter.

Surveillance in Star Wars could relate to the ISB, but there are plenty of other quotes that @Renown could have used to hint at that; I am unfortunately leaning towards option 2. 😕

4 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Okay. So, the last lines of 1984...

I can only find two things that relate to that year on Wookiepedia: the birth years of E. K. Johnston, who wrote the Ahsoka novel, or, it's a refence to the year that Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure released. 

I saw those as well, but renown’s past quotes have things said by or about specific characters. I also cannot remember them ever using a non-Star Wars quote. 

37 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Ok, can someone set me straight on the current state of affairs with the anniversary figs? I've become disoriented with all of the changes lol. Here's what I can tell so far:

Darth Malak

Saw Gerrera

Cal Kestis

Fives

Nien Nunb

R2-KT

Am I missing anyone? Do I have anyone incorrect?

Per Brick Clicker, Malak, Fives, Saw, Cal, Nien Nunb, and Young Leia are the main six figs. R2-KT is an "unofficial" anniversary fig that will be Lego exclusive/limited release (like the Obi-Wan 20th Anniversary fig). The droid will still have an anniversary stand. 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I saw those as well, but renown’s past quotes have things said by or about specific characters. I also cannot remember them ever using a non-Star Wars quote. 

Looking through Renown's profile, there are some other smaller quotes from other sources/the Bible. Though I don't think that any of them were a direct tease for a character - moreso in response to a Eurobricks user. So, sadly, it may be a sign that Renown (or Renown's source) has gone dark... If, so, thanks for the fun teases you have given, @Renown!

13 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Looking through Renown's profile, there are some other smaller quotes from other sources/the Bible. Though I don't think that any of them were a direct tease for a character - moreso in response to a Eurobricks user. So, sadly, it may be a sign that Renown (or Renown's source) has gone dark... If, so, thanks for the fun teases you have given, @Renown!

If this is the case, it'll be the end of an era. RIP 😭

Posted (edited)

Renown has corrected/clarified hints before, and he hasn't been on in the hours since his comment. While it's definitely possible that they got him, there's still hope. 

If they did get him, it is sad though. By far my favorite leaker- had fun with it with the quotes without trying to spread a single piece of info out over a full livestream or make himself a brand.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If they did get him, it is sad though. By far my favorite leaker- had fun with it with the quotes without trying to spread a single piece of info out over a full livestream or make himself a brand.

Agreed. I definitely do like the reliability and certainty of other leakers, but having some riddles on this little corner of the Internet was also great to have. Hopefully Lego doesn't take out anyone else... Assuming we're reading this correctly and we're not all getting sentimental over nothing!

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The Evil Falcon comes with Darth Jar Jar

The death star set has a hot tub included implying, if not including, beach troopers.

At least one august set includes a minikit

Our dark lord must arise to take his rightful place as the Lord Of The Sith.

The other two are honestly my current predictions for the R2 KT set. (But as an add on to the Tantive Hallway.) If Lego did do that I’d hope they include normal stormtrooper bodies as well as rebel friend.

Looks like we get Sabine Wren with the LSW Magazine at some point. Brick Clicker shows a picture of the paper bag in his video. I have so many Mandalorians from the magazines already :laugh: Enough to populate the whole of Mandalore!

A completely off-topic, but since it came up, I have the urge to ask: why is it bad for TLG to have leaks? I mean, on one hand, the people who follow these leaks are the minority of the consumers, and even if they decide to not buy a leaked set, it doesn't affect TLG's sales that much, I imagine. On the other hand, if there's a promising upcoming set, it can hype up sales quite well, too.

I follow the Star Wars topic every now and then, but if Renown will be gone, my heart will be broken :(

10 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Oh I agree about dioramas it's just a question of how many other people actually appreciate this art. I personally just got the Endor one.
I understand where you are coming from, but I guess my own appeal with nostalgia is to have things I had in my childhood as in playsets and figures while things like helmets didn't really exist so it's not doing anything for me if that makes sense. 

9 hours ago, TheUnusualBuilder said:

Ofc anything can work, but will those things actually sell well? 
My point in comparing it with helmets wasn't about them being niche, it was about understanding a lot of people will want Boba, Vader, Stormtrooper, Mandalorian helmets, but if you are going to get to something as obscure as Boushh helmet in just 3 years that will sell horribly you will quickly be ending the sub line. Same thing will happen to these sets in my opinion. Give it 3 more years and 9-12 more of these sets and they will quickly get to some pretty obscure stuff that just won't sell. How many people outside of the super-fan forums can even recognize half of the sets on your list?

55 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Looks like we get Sabine Wren with the LSW Magazine at some point. Brick Clicker shows a picture of the paper bag in his video. I have so many Mandalorians from the magazines already :laugh: Enough to populate the whole of Mandalore!

Very happy about this! I've been hoping to get a few of that Sabine figure to use as generic female Mandos so this is perfect. Glad she includes the helmet too, they were pretty stingy with her helmet in the old Rebels sets. 

55 minutes ago, Jockos said:

A completely off-topic, but since it came up, I have the urge to ask: why is it bad for TLG to have leaks? 

Remember in Charlie and the Chocolate factory when Slugworth wanted to get an everlasting gobstopper early so he could steal the design and undercut Wonka's market? Yeah, that's why. 

Also if a set leaks and then gets cancelled for whatever reason it could be bad PR for LEGO if it's something people were looking forward to.