MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2024 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

11 hours ago, Llewop said:

I’ve always felt army building is more for warhammer rather than Lego but for those who do it fair play, must have a lot more disposable income than myself, I never get why all the streamers and YouTubers buy so many bps. 

I miss the days when we got 4 battle packs a year and they covered all factions. Depending on what it is, clones I prefer the 3 similar and 1 unique but like rebels I prefer 4 different figures completely. It’s the variety that’s key to their success as these days whilst the clones are cool give us some more variety Lego.

at least the bp in June can give us a chance to get some beskar imperials and a few new Mandolorians.

For someone that lives, breathes and loves Star Wars their entire life, warhammer won't really cut it. At least not for me.

There is no greater joy for me than building an army of anything from a piece of media I love, give them some kind of lore, proper leadership, a story... My mandalorian army is set in a period where Maul and Vizsla had an alliance and then I reinforce and expand on them based on my budget. I can add clone wars AATs that Dooku gifted Death Watch, I can add just a squad or an important character like Savage Opress. It can be $5 or it can be $5000. Things you can do with stormtroopers and how creative you can be with planets they are located on, leadership they are under to battles from rebels to OT and the Mandalorian is unreal.

Sadly youtubers kinda ruined this creative art form and turned it into aimlessly stacking figures on baseplates (I like to call is Solid Brixing) by buying as many battle packs as they can without any goal, canon or logic in mind causing hate and arguments between the two groups.

22 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

I like to call is Solid Brixing

He popularized it but there’s been so many more egregious examples in the past few years. 

I agree that the grey baseplate stackers give creative army builders a bad name 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

For someone that lives, breathes and loves Star Wars their entire life, warhammer won't really cut it. At least not for me.

There is no greater joy for me than building an army of anything from a piece of media I love, give them some kind of lore, proper leadership, a story... My mandalorian army is set in a period where Maul and Vizsla had an alliance and then I reinforce and expand on them based on my budget. I can add clone wars AATs that Dooku gifted Death Watch, I can add just a squad or an important character like Savage Opress. It can be $5 or it can be $5000. Things you can do with stormtroopers and how creative you can be with planets they are located on, leadership they are under to battles from rebels to OT and the Mandalorian is unreal.

As someone who has loved and been obsessed with Star Wars since my father introduced me to it when I was 4 I whole heartedly agree.

This next bit I know that I may be coming off as 🤓 so my apologies but I feel I need to say it. 
Clones are great, this is coming from someone who adores the Clone Wars and loves the Bad Batch, but they’re canonically only a part of galactic history for around 5 years, and mostly only fighting on specific outer-rim worlds. (all the coloured P2 legions for only 2 of them.) Stormtroopers on the other hand are present throughout the entirety of the galaxy for an expanse of 30 years.
The vast majority of live-action Star Wars content has featured them. This allows kids, like I for one did, who want to keep their battles from contradicting canon, to have breathing space and let their imaginations run wild with the events that could happen. I wasn’t able to easily amass even a squad of stormtroopers back then and now that I have the funds to I want Lego to make a normal stormtrooper battlepack so that I and kids who feel the same as me will have an easier time of building up their imperial garrisons.

Even rebels aren’t as versatile as the generic stormtrooper as their uniforms kept changing over the period of the galactic civil war. The only rebel variant that even gets a mile close to the imperial stormtrooper in versatility is the rebel fleet trooper but even they are only around for 10 years.

Once again, my apologies if that bored you guys and made me sound 🤓.

1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

Sadly youtubers kinda ruined this creative art form and turned it into aimlessly stacking figures on baseplates (I like to call is Solid Brixing) by buying as many battle packs as they can without any goal, canon or logic in mind causing hate and arguments between the two groups.

I wouldn’t say that Solid Brix is the problem. I feel that Mandr and LifeBricks are the bigger perpetrators with this issue. I personally blame Mandr for the toxicity of the community towards modern clones. For crying out loud, the helmet holes aren’t the end of the world!

Edited by CloneCommando99

2 hours ago, CloneCommando99 said:

This next bit I know that I may be coming off as 🤓 so my apologies but I feel I need to say it. 
Clones are great, this is coming from someone who adores the Clone Wars and loves the Bad Batch, but they’re canonically only a part of galactic history for around 5 years, and mostly only fighting on specific outer-rim worlds. (all the coloured P2 legions for only 2 of them.) Stormtroopers on the other hand are present throughout the entirety of the galaxy for an expanse of 30 years.
The vast majority of live-action Star Wars content has featured them. This allows kids, like I for one did, who want to keep their battles from contradicting canon, to have breathing space and let their imaginations run wild with the events that could happen. I wasn’t able to easily amass even a squad of stormtroopers back then and now that I have the funds to I want Lego to make a normal stormtrooper battlepack so that I and kids who feel the same as me will have an easier time of building up their imperial garrisons.

EXACTLY! 

Kids like clones, and have over the past 5 years had the ability to army-build an INSANE amount of clone troopers, but it's not like they don't like stormtroopers, or rebels, or want droids for the clones to face. Let's let other factions have a turn now.

Ideally, we get, say, 3 battle packs a year. 2 $20 standard BPs, and one $30-40 "super" BP. I would prefer if only one of the three was mainly clones. 

2 hours ago, CloneCommando99 said:

I wouldn’t say that Solid Brix is the problem. I feel that Mandr and LifeBricks are the bigger perpetrators with this issue. I personally blame Mandr for the toxicity of the community towards modern clones. For crying out loud, the helmet holes aren’t the end of the world!

I agree. I don't know as much about LifeBricks beyond the fact that he was buying absurd quantities of the $30 clone pack before it even officially released, but I do know MandR. They clearly care about the toys and I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinions. But it's also completely fair to say that (I'm gonna use MandR since I've heard more of his stuff) MandR is a bad influence on a lot of younger fans by overexaggerating and complaining constantly about every little thing. That's not to say you can't have criticism. Jangbricks does an excellent job criticizing lego while staying measured. But people like MandR act as if they're trying to rally up a rebellion of their own, not review toys.

Posted (edited)

Lego’s initial failure to really capitalise on the renewed interest in the Clone Wars during 2020 has been more than made up for since 2021. I completely agree we need other army builders at this point.

I feel like I’m beating a relatively dead horse at this point, but I’ve been finally playing through Jedi: Survivor and it irks me to no end that the buildable BD-1 and Cal minifigure are all that Lego are willing to do for that series. I totally understand there’s a glut of Star Wars content to cover these days, but is a Stinger Mantis with some killer minifigures really considered that risky? It’s such a shame, the games are some of the best canon storytelling we’ve had in recent memory IMO.

Edited by Kaijumeister

On 3/18/2024 at 10:02 AM, LEGOscum said:

Has anyone seen a copy of the instructions for the C-3PO/Oscar statue that is free with the LSW 25 fan film submission?

(I'd post a pic for attention but I'm only allowed to attach 20 kB... it's 2024...)

If anyone is interested:

https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.beckett.1972/posts/pfbid0bXAAfcaP3aZPjxpnkazThEwJaPEt7RdFsimdFQv3HEGWRUJL5sKMaaFEFN1LVvKHl

Per MandR, it looks like there's another book coming out in July that's being advertised on the back of the Droideka instructions in his latest review.

Via his Twitter.

2 hours ago, Old Master said:

Per MandR, it looks like there's another book coming out in July that's being advertised on the back of the Droideka instructions in his latest review.

Via his Twitter.

Just saw this too. It looks amazing. I'd almost say it's a definite purchase for me without even seeing the price lol

2 hours ago, Old Master said:

Via his Twitter.

It's the history of the LSW theme, written by Graham Hancock (Brick Fanatics & Blocks Mag). 

12 hours ago, CloneCommando99 said:

As someone who has loved and been obsessed with Star Wars since my father introduced me to it when I was 4 I whole heartedly agree.

Even rebels aren’t as versatile as the generic stormtrooper as their uniforms kept changing over the period of the galactic civil war. The only rebel variant that even gets a mile close to the imperial stormtrooper in versatility is the rebel fleet trooper but even they are only around for 10 years.

Once again, my apologies if that bored you guys and made me sound 🤓.

You are 100% right. I am a massive TCW and PT fan, but Stormtroopers offer so much more when it comes to versatility and creativity. I really hope we get a stormtrooper bp, but I am not a fan of the new stormtrooper helmet mold and it's kinda getting annoying to have to get out of my way to pick up older helmets.

I like MandR personally even though he doesn't know how to army build. For me he is just a very passionate fan voicing his opinions and his work ethic and effort he makes into trying to make the community better is respectable. I don't mind helmet holes at all, but him talking about quality of some of the figures we got recently like Fox, Fives or Vaughn are very valid, love him or hate him you kinda have to admit it. Even here most of us are incredibly passionate and have a different opinion on anything from stickers in sets, Maul's eyes to Stormtrooper helmet mold and you just won't please everyone no matter what stance you take, but that will get you hate as a public figure. Jang just might communicate his feelings in a more mature grounded way which is something that comes with years and experience while people like me will just react emotionally.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I really hope we get a stormtrooper bp, but I am not a fan of the new stormtrooper helmet mold and it's kinda getting annoying to have to get out of my way to pick up older helmets.

Same. With all the discussion of Night Troopers, Incinerator Troopers, and so on over the last couple of pages I keep having to remind myself that even if they do get made I won't be buying them unless they change the helmets. At least with standard Stormies I can get the old helmets on Bricklink or wherever, but for these new designs that isn't an option. 

Edited by CallumPears

Everything for 5/4 getting revealed today except the UCS Tie Interceptor... :cry2:

Hopefully it's only a matter of days now.

8 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Everything for 5/4 getting revealed today except the UCS Tie Interceptor... :cry2:

Hopefully it's only a matter of days now.

If I remember correctly, they waited til the last minute for the X-Wing reveal last year. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Old Master said:

If I remember correctly, they waited til the last minute for the X-Wing reveal last year. 

I was wondering about this too. It was only a week or so before release last year, right? 

EDIT: Seems it was April 4/5 when we got images. Seems like anytime now!

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

I don't really know what else you could do beyond a Tie pilot, but I sure hope there's something else. $240 for one guy is just kinda painful.

3 minutes ago, Old Master said:

I don't really know what else you could do beyond a Tie pilot, but I sure hope there's something else. $240 for one guy is just kinda painful.

To be fair, the figures are never the point of a UCS set. If you're paying $240 for a tie pilot, the issue isn't that it's a tie pilot and not also an officer or something, it's that you're paying $240 for two minifigures.
That said, I think it would be a good idea for them to drop a second figure in- it's a perfect opportunity for a semi-obscure named officer.

6 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

I was wondering about this too. It was only a week or so before release last year, right? 

EDIT: Seems it was April 4/5 when we got images. Seems like anytime now!

I sure hope so! It's the Star Wars set to which I'm most looking forward next month. 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

To be fair, the figures are never the point of a UCS set. If you're paying $240 for a tie pilot, the issue isn't that it's a tie pilot and not also an officer or something, it's that you're paying $240 for two minifigures.
That said, I think it would be a good idea for them to drop a second figure in- it's a perfect opportunity for a semi-obscure named officer.

I'd buy the thing with zero figures, as would be the case with nearly every UCS set. The only exceptions would be minifig-scale sets, and even then I can populate them on my own.

15 hours ago, CallumPears said:

Same. With all the discussion of Night Troopers, Incinerator Troopers, and so on over the last couple of pages I keep having to remind myself that even if they do get made I won't be buying them unless they change the helmets. At least with standard Stormies I can get the old helmets on Bricklink or wherever, but for these new designs that isn't an option. 

That's exactly why I am terrified to see how they will do Captain Enoch and especially Imperial Super Commandos.

11 hours ago, Old Master said:

The X Wing got revealed early, as mentioned, due to the Celebration Event in London. 

The Landspeeder though got its revelation just a couple of days before. 

I just noticed that the eyes for the buildable droideka are reversed lipstick pieces. That’s really smart, great part usage by the designer. 

9 hours ago, TotoMagnus said:

The X Wing got revealed early, as mentioned, due to the Celebration Event in London. 

The Landspeeder though got its revelation just a couple of days before. 

Good call. Yeah the Landspeeder was not until April 21, so we have some time yet, if old timelines can give insight to current ones. 

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Hot take but I'd almost prefer they stop including minifigs in UCS sets in general. So much of the online discourse gets tied up in arguments about minifig quality/exclusivity for massive sets that often aren't even minifig scale/compatible.

A couple of $5 minifigs aren't really a huge value add to a $300-800 display model at the end of the day, and it would likely quell some of the community outrage (e.g. Gunship/Venator) to present these sets for what they are: display models that are mostly outside of the minifig "world".

The midi-scale ships are an example of this already, and - prices aside - they don't actually need figs included. What we do need are more opportunities for good figures, meaning either a Star Wars CMF, or more fig-focused playsets with better overall quality.

51 minutes ago, SketchBrick said:

Hot take but I'd almost prefer they stop including minifigs in UCS sets in general. So much of the online discourse gets tied up in arguments about minifig quality/exclusivity for massive sets that often aren't even minifig scale/compatible.

A couple of $5 minifigs aren't really a huge value add to a $300-800 display model at the end of the day, and it would likely quell some of the community outrage (e.g. Gunship/Venator) to present these sets for what they are: display models that are mostly outside of the minifig "world".

The midi-scale ships are an example of this already, and - prices aside - they don't actually need figs included. What we do need are more opportunities for good figures, meaning either a Star Wars CMF, or more fig-focused playsets with better overall quality.

This would not stop the complaints. People won't let go of the helmet holes or the commander being in the gunship instead of the pilot. You think they'll let go of the figures disappearing entirely?

13 hours ago, Rwbricks said:

I just noticed that the eyes for the buildable droideka are reversed lipstick pieces. That’s really smart, great part usage by the designer. 

It is a really smart usage. That entire set is pretty impressive on a technical level. I'm not a droidika superfan and my only statue/droid right now is BD-1, but I'm heavily considering the droidika.

16 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

I'd buy the thing with zero figures, as would be the case with nearly every UCS set. The only exceptions would be minifig-scale sets, and even then I can populate them on my own.

If the set's minifig-scale I think it should come with it's crew, but I otherwise agree. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't put minifigs in these- more lego is good, and I doubt the figures being removed would cause a significant price reduction on these two figure $240 sets. But for the people who are going to be seriously disappointed if the UCS TIE Interceptor's figure isn't what they're hoping for- buy playscale sets.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This would not stop the complaints. People won't let go of the helmet holes or the commander being in the gunship instead of the pilot. You think they'll let go of the figures disappearing entirely?

LOL you're very right. I guess in my fantasy world, they wouldn't have started the precedent of including figures in sets like that at all, so there wouldn't be anything to miss.

I genuinely don't know where this massive minifigure uproar discourse comes from every time a non-minifig scale UCS set comes out.  (actually I do, it was the whole Gunship fiasco, which was completely predictable from the get-go.  The set was never going to be minifigure scale and I don't know why people were so blindsided by that).  They have been very consistent with UCS minifigure selection.

1) If the ship/vehicle cannot be represented accurately at a playscale size, the UCS set will almost certainly be minifigure-scale, or as close to minifigure scale as you can realistically get.  (Examples - minifig scale = The Slave I, Millenium Falcon, Sandcrawler, Imperial Shuttle, etc; non-minifig scale = X-Wing, Landspeeder, Y-Wing, TIE, etc; minifigure scale isn't possible, but they make it as large as they can = SSD, ISD, Venator, etc).  

2) If the ship/vehicle falls into category A, a larger minifigure selection is generally the case, but at the very least, the characters most associated with the ship/vehicle are included.

3) If the ship/vehicle falls into category B, 1-2 minifigures is the norm.  As a @SketchBrick pointed out, this wasn't even always the case, as it wasn't until the 2010s that non-minifig scale UCS models even came with minifigures, since they're essentially just display add-ons when the ship/vehicle is too big to interact with them.

4) If the ship/vehicle falls into category C, it varies heavily.  The SSD had like five minifigures, the second ISD and Venator have each had two, so the five might just be an anomaly, but they've truly only done like 4 ships that are in this category and one was two decades ago.  

5) MBS sets (or sets that retroactively fit the MBS label, such as the Ewok Village, Death Star playset, Assault on Hoth, and 2003 Cloud City if you count that) will have a large minifigure selection regardless.

Point being, I don't really know why the TIE having two minifigures instead of one would be the main selling point.  It's a $240 display model that the minifigure can't do anything with, so I'm not sure why the inclusion or omission of a figure is that major of a point.