MKJoshA

[REVIEW] 60376 Arctic Explorer Snowmobile

1280x1280.JPG

INTRODUCTION
What's this?!? Two small city set reviews in one week? That's right! I've got my second animal battle pack... I mean city set with animals reviewed and compared. Here's the review for the otter set. So how do seals compare against otters? A warning before we begin, taking photos of white Lego pieces is very difficult. My white-balance varies depending on the picture.

SET INFORMATION
Number: 60376
Title: Arctic Explorer Snowmobile
Theme: City
Released: 2023
Part Count: 65
Box Dimensions: 15.7 x 14.1 x 4.5 cm
Weight: 0.13 Kg
Set Price (RRP): £8.99/$10.99/€9.99
Price per Part: 12.8p/15.7c/14.3c
Links: BricksetBricklink

THE BOX
The front shows a frigged snowscape perfect for snowmobiling and seal watching. And we also see meteors in the background? Seems an odd choice for the cover art. We get a fun warning in the bottom left that the set does not float. My son actually helped me test this and I can say the warning is unnecessary. The snowmobile doesn't float, but everything else does!

1280x1280.JPG

Ironically, the back of the box shows the parts float in the water.

1280x1280.JPG

CONTENTS OF THE BOX
Inside are 2 bags and 2 loose plates.

1280x904.JPG

THE BUILD
The set spends the most effort on the snowmobile. The snow/ice landscape is extremely basic. But then, it doesn't take much to depict snow if you're using plates so it works.

1280x1280.JPG

The snowmobile uses technic pieces for treads very effectively. I find it disappointing that the seat/standing area is so basic. Seems like an extra panel or slope would help complete the seat.

1280x1280.JPG

There are a few unique or rare pieces in the set.

800x800.JPG

But of course what we're all really here for are the seals.

1280x1280.JPG

The undersides show the available stud connections.

1280x1281.JPG

The mommy (or daddy) seal's tail has a small arch to it.

1280x1280.JPG

All in all they look amazing.

HOW DOES IT COMPARE?

Compared to the ATV and Otter set this one has fewer pieces, but feels more substantial. It's very interesting to me that both sets include the same woman's face.

800x800.JPG

My guess is Lego chose this face for the wink/closed eye to show when she's looking through a camera at the animals.

1280x1280.JPG

CAN IT BE A MECH?

1280x1331.JPG

Continuing my idea I made another mech with the Seal set. I like how this one turned out better.

1280x765.JPG

So in a fight I think the seal would win.

OVERALL
This is another good $10 (or $11 depending on whether your store is following the inflation trend) set.

1280x1280.JPG

SCORE
How do I rate this set?

DESIGN 7
The snowmobile works really well. The ice section is simple but also works effectively.

BUILDING EXPERIENCE 7
Same as the ATV. Nothing overly exciting, but nothing repetitive either.

FEATURES 7
Most people will be getting this set for the seals. And why not, they are cute! But I think they will be pleasantly surprised by the snowmobile too.

PLAYABILITY 10
This has all the right features for a $10 set. New, good animal molds, a cool vehicle and a bit of scenery to round it out.

PARTS 7
While not a ton of parts, what you get are used very effectively.

VALUE FOR MONEY 10
The final set is solid and certainly worth $10.

FINAL SCORE: 8
This is a good buy. It's a great addition to the Lego animal collection with a good selection of parts. If you want just the seals they are available on Pick-a-Brick ID 6434764 for the baby seal and ID 6434763 for the adult.

Thanks for your review!

Like the "otter battle pack" I like this set, too. Again, it's a decent play set for a fair amount of money.

But: I don't like  the size of the snowmobile. It's not minifig scale. It's far too big. That's why it's just a 5/10 for me.

Hope we see more small animals battle-packs in the future. The otter one is great with 2 new recoloured animals, but this is fantastic with 2 completely new animal moulds :wub:

Thanks for the review. What stands out here (in my opinion at least), are also the backpack and hairpiece - both recolors. Ofcourse, the highlight of this set are both seals. It's nice to get such specific animals in a small and affordable set. While the snowmobile doesn't look special, the snowmobile-mech is great. Definitely adds something to the set. 

I unsealed mine and the seals sealed the deal for me XD. 
Great to have another small set with not just one but 2 new animals!  Let's hope the trend continues.
Here are my quick thoughts:

THE GOOD:

• The seals of course!
  • cheap price!
  • The terrain fits well with the Polar Bears' one in. the other set.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• None but I can be very nip picking and say not enough action features which I usually don't care that much lol

On 11/3/2023 at 4:16 AM, MKJoshA said:

CAN IT BE A MECH?

Gotta love it when a review answers the important questions :wink:

I'm still on the fence about this... it just feels like I'd get so much more use out of a small PaB cup, and I could grab a lemonade too with the spare change, but then... seals!

Excellent review answering life's existential questions.

I loved the detail you pointed out about the box saying that the models don't float and then showing the models floating on the back :laugh:

This set was an absolute no brainer for me, and I picked it up straight away from Kmart Australia who priced it at $10 AUD from the get go, around $6.50 USD. Two new seals, recoloured hairpiece and backpack plus cool Minifigure prints generally - it's a great package, never mind the rest of the parts!

The one feature you didn't display though is that the baby and adult are designed so that the baby fits on the adult's back. It's a very good and important design feature.