320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

320x180.jpg 320x180.jpg

This is my version of the Ferrari Monza SP1 & SP2 in 1:8 scale. There are two models in ‘one’.

I designed this model to be played with as well as look good on a shelf like a proper Lego set should be :grin:

You can get he instructions here

Features and Functions:

·         opening doors, bonnet/hood and boot/trunk

·         independent suspension

·         Akerman steering geometry

·         8 + N + R sequential gearbox without the need for a drive and reverse selector (inspired by Anto)

·         paddle shift gear selection

·         rear-wheel drive

·         detailing on the interior, virtual windscreen and engine

Dimensions:

Length: 73 Studs (59cm); Width: 35 Studs (28cm); Height: 17.5 Studs (14cm)

Weight: 2.8 Kg

Edited by Cardboy
Adding content

Really good rebuild in lego.

yes, lego lloks somehow flat, original is somehow more curvy, but those are lego limitations.

First I wanted to abstain from commenting, primarily because I don't like the real car very much, secondary I don't like your interpretation very much too. On the other hand it's still a Ferrari which can't let me indifferent. So here come my critics (which represent my personal opinion only):

• I always prefer to see a MOC built from real bricks, rather than purely digital renders.

• I'm always interested to see some functionality, at least a belly shot, and I'm sure many other visitors of the Technic forum are.

• It's beneficial first to demonstrate the model in a convincing video, which will then lead to higher instructions sales.

• The real car shows some elegant curvature all over the body which I'm missing in this replica. It looks rather flat and squarish.

• Proportions are a bit off. Means the car looks too wide / too short in the wheelbase.

• Using the Daytona wheels adds to the exaggerated appearance, rim/tire are by nature inacurate and disproportional in their dimensions.

• The front grill has no actual „grill“ in it.

Anyway I appreciate you have done this and I hope to see more from you! This is absolutely not meant to discourage you. Thanks for sharing your work with us :thumbup:!

Edited by brunojj1

I’m a fan of the car and appreciate what you’ve done but I think a few things look off. I agree with others that it looks a bit too flat and boxy. But the thing that gets me is the upper part of the grille aperture. It almost looks like a fat upper lip on a guppy (fish).

also as others have said please do share some technic detail shots here, so underneath that skin to show suspension, engine, gearbox etc

but keep up the good work

I don't have any clue about these computer-driven building programs... I still stick to real-life building with real bricks and beams and gears and so on.

So my question might seem a bit off, but it is meant seriously:

Why is there a gap shown between the tapered panels on the right side of the bonnet/hood, while there is no such gap between the corresponding panels on the left side?

Same question for the gap between the center panel and the tapered panel on the right and on the left side, respectively...?

Cool idea, and nice start, some sections are quite nice, and the conversion between the SP1 and SP2 version is a nice touch.

Unfortunately I have to agree with others about the boxiness. And what's even worse for me is not the flat shapes themselves but all the clutter on the flat surfaces being built from many small parts. And it's all worse on the SP1 version, as that by nature has more flat surfaces. At first I thought it's due to part limitations of this being an alternate model, but now I see it's not an alternate of the Daytona set, right? So what's the reason for all the small parts, when some sections on the hood could be done much smoother by using more 11x5 and 11x3 panels? Is it that you don't have more?

So I think the SP2 version is a better choice for avoiding the boxiness, so I'd focus on that one in the presentation and just mention that it can be converted to SP1 as well. But more importantly, I would use more of the bigger panels that you can free up from the cover of the second seat to build the hood section with less clutter.

I'm especially not a fan of the curved line where the openable clamshell separates from the rest of the hood, that line gets lost in all the clutter. I'd try using 11x3x2 wing panels there to make that line more defined, and possibly give that section some curvature.

Also, a bit less clutter on those protruding things behind the seats (don't know the name) would be nice maybe by using fewer larger wing panels.

22 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

It's beneficial first to demonstrate the model in a convincing video, which will then lead to higher instructions sales.

There's a video of the real build and some functions, it's just hidden behind the instructions link, which I guess many people don't follow. I definitely agree you should link your videos in here, as that would show the real build immediately. It looks better than in renders, and also shows the openable parts and the conversion, which I wasn't aware of at first look.

10 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

There's a video of the real build and some functions, it's just hidden behind the instructions link, which I guess many people don't follow. I definitely agree you should link your videos in here, as that would show the real build immediately. It looks better than in renders, and also shows the openable parts and the conversion, which I wasn't aware of at first look.

Sorry for my ignorance, my bad. It looks better in real, I agree! Though I'm disappointed again about the functionality hidden and not presented adequately. The Ferrari V12 engine is still the core of what it is all about, if it makes any sense at all for the buyer to buy, the driver to drive, the player to play with. 

Hi thanks for all your feed back, This was an attempt to get better at making a more curvy model seems more practice is needed.

I have added a belly shot and one with out some panels so you can see inside a bit more but it's not the most interesting 

I do always build for real then make the model in studio. I would love to have more photos i just don't have the space to set up a photo stage and lighting is poor as you will see from the videos (I didn't know how to add YouTube to Eurobricks i though they needed embedding turns out its just a link)

This was an old blanket and a very fixed camera angle so you cant see the carpet :grin: but any suggestions or tricks i can employ to take better images are welcome.

Yes it does have a bit of a lip problem but seeing as the real car that's where the bonnet opens from i couldn't think of a way to hinge it. Again due to the way the bonnet opens the grill area was shallow to add a nice grill a printed part would have been nice or if Lego made a 3x14 panel but this is where I ran out of talent.

The bonnet on the original is a giant U shape that also has to taper as the body gets narrower towards the rear wheels I tried more large elements and curves but it was very flimsily. My design philosophy is that its Lego so it should be strong-enough to be played with and i hate it when  you pieces of body work come away in your hands just by touching it.

On 10/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, brunojj1 said:

First I wanted to abstain from commenting, primarily because I don't like the real car very much, secondary I don't like your interpretation very much too. On the other hand it's still a Ferrari which can't let me indifferent. So here come my critics (which represent my personal opinion only):

• I always prefer to see a MOC built from real bricks, rather than purely digital renders.

• I'm always interested to see some functionality, at least a belly shot, and I'm sure many other visitors of the Technic forum are.

• It's beneficial first to demonstrate the model in a convincing video, which will then lead to higher instructions sales.

• The real car shows some elegant curvature all over the body which I'm missing in this replica. It looks rather flat and squarish.

• Proportions are a bit off. Means the car looks too wide / too short in the wheelbase.

• Using the Daytona wheels adds to the exaggerated appearance, rim/tire are by nature inacurate and disproportional in their dimensions.

• The front grill has no actual „grill“ in it.

Anyway I appreciate you have done this and I hope to see more from you! This is absolutely not meant to discourage you. Thanks for sharing your work with us :thumbup:!

On 10/9/2023 at 2:05 PM, Seasider said:

I’m a fan of the car and appreciate what you’ve done but I think a few things look off. I agree with others that it looks a bit too flat and boxy. But the thing that gets me is the upper part of the grille aperture. It almost looks like a fat upper lip on a guppy (fish).

also as others have said please do share some technic detail shots here, so underneath that skin to show suspension, engine, gearbox etc

but keep up the good work

8 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Cool idea, and nice start, some sections are quite nice, and the conversion between the SP1 and SP2 version is a nice touch.

Unfortunately I have to agree with others about the boxiness. And what's even worse for me is not the flat shapes themselves but all the clutter on the flat surfaces being built from many small parts. And it's all worse on the SP1 version, as that by nature has more flat surfaces. At first I thought it's due to part limitations of this being an alternate model, but now I see it's not an alternate of the Daytona set, right? So what's the reason for all the small parts, when some sections on the hood could be done much smoother by using more 11x5 and 11x3 panels? Is it that you don't have more?

So I think the SP2 version is a better choice for avoiding the boxiness, so I'd focus on that one in the presentation and just mention that it can be converted to SP1 as well. But more importantly, I would use more of the bigger panels that you can free up from the cover of the second seat to build the hood section with less clutter.

I'm especially not a fan of the curved line where the openable clamshell separates from the rest of the hood, that line gets lost in all the clutter. I'd try using 11x3x2 wing panels there to make that line more defined, and possibly give that section some curvature.

Also, a bit less clutter on those protruding things behind the seats (don't know the name) would be nice maybe by using fewer larger wing panels.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, Timewhatistime said:

I don't have any clue about these computer-driven building programs... I still stick to real-life building with real bricks and beams and gears and so on.

So my question might seem a bit off, but it is meant seriously:

Why is there a gap shown between the tapered panels on the right side of the bonnet/hood, while there is no such gap between the corresponding panels on the left side?

Same question for the gap between the center panel and the tapered panel on the right and on the left side, respectively...?

This is an issue of Stud.io It's collision detection is not great/ overly strict (depending on what your doing) Where real plastic will have a bit of flex once a part has its been designed in Ldraw its 100% accurate but as far as a 3D render is concerned it might as well be made of steel. So you kind to have to fudge it. There are may little issues like that and i could point to many more floors. Definitely don't look to closely at the rear wheel arches :grin:. I could probably sort some of them out with a lot of tweaking but as with all things in life it's a time / cost calculation.

Ah, thank you very much for this clarification. Now I got what is the problem and its cause.

It is a bit disappointing to me that the collission detection cannot handle those standard situations... for the combination if the panels doesn't rely on any flex: They are simply mounted side by side.