Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[OKT] Annual Oktoberfest mini-challenge -- WINNERS ANNOUNCED

It’s that time of year again: time for Oktoberfest!

The annual BoBS Oktoberfest celebration features food and drink, contests of skill, games and amusements, traditional/historical costumes, food and drink (did we mention food and drink?), and more!

okt_2020.jpg

The Oktoberfest celebration again takes place in the Eslandolan settlement of Punto Sur on Maldria in the New Haven Sea. The settlement has grown from a frontier outpost to one of the largest towns in the New Haven Sea, bustling with denizens from all the factions of the Brick Seas.

As you can tell from Punto Sur’s original trading post (and the cast of characters pictured above), the town has a Classic Pirates aesthetic. As such, all entries should have a Classic Pirates vibe of some sort, and appear fitting with a Classic Pirates port town, either in traditional 1989 form or updated for 2022 style and techniques.

Rules:

Your entry should show an Oktoberfest activity in Punto Sur appropriate for the island setting. Show residents and/or visitors preparing for or taking part in the festivities. Entries must be licensable properties. Players may submit as many entries as they want, but may only win one prize per category.

In addition to posting your entry in the forum (ideally with a [OKT] tag in the title), please post a link to your build in this thread and in the Punto Sur settlement threadEntries must be posted by October 31.

Categories:

This year prizes will be awarded for all non-military property types: Artisan, Commerce, Factories, Residence, Art/Culture, Education, Plantations, and Mines (it is rumored that an ancient civilization once worked numerous rich gold mines on this island and that these mines could be reactivated with minimal effort). Identify what category you’re entering when you post your entry. Entries will be judged on presentation, quality of build, story, fit with Punto Sur’s architectural style (Classic Pirate, both retro and modern), and fit with the Oktoberfest/festival theme. The only size requirement is a 16x16 minimum. 

Additionally, anyone interested in building a military property should contact Capt Wolf by PM for special consideration.

Prizes:

The top entry in each category will win a free small property license, to be activated by microbuild. The top three entries in each category will win 75, 50, or 25 DBs (for 1st/2nd/3rd place). There will also be an additional prize for best non-brewery factory entry. A grand prize winner and runner-up for Best of the Oktoberfest will have their free license upgraded to a large and medium, respectively.

Builders will also be reimbursed for licensing costs for any property licensed through the EGS, or Capt Wolf will purchase (at 2x the license cost) any property a builder does not wish to license.  

Well, announcing the winners is fairly easy this year. @NOD and @Justsomebrix each win 75 DBs and a free property license to be activated by microbuild. NOD also wins an extra 75 DBs for his build being a non-brewery factory, and Justsomebrix gets an extra 25 DBs to cover licensing costs for his build. NOD's license is upgraded to a large property for being this year's Grand Prize winner, and Justsomebrix's license is upgraded to medium as runner-up.

Both submissions were excellent builds, and I am confident both would have warranted prizes even if there had been more competition. Thanks to both of you for participating in Punto Sur's Oktoberfest!

Congratz @NOD & @Justsomebrix , fairly easy win :grin:, but nonetheless nice entries indeed. I am working a new storyline and did not have any original inspiration to participate this year..

Thank you for the win, and congrats @NOD on first place! 

Despite the lack of competition it was fun taking part in the challenge, thank you for setting it up:pir-huzzah2:

2 hours ago, Justsomebrix said:

Despite the lack of competition it was fun taking part in the challenge, thank you for setting it up:pir-huzzah2:

I like the challenge. But wanted to license it in a Corrington settlement! So I had created my own Oktoberfest in Wullham. 

@Justsomebrix I congratulate on your win and thank you for taking part. :pir-huzzah2:

I always had a lot of fun, for several years since my participation in Brethren of the Brick Seas, with the Oktoberfest challenge. It's a shame that it probably won't be happening next year. :pir-bawling:

Maybe it's time for a new holiday for the new era? I could imagine something like dias de los muertos would bring us some nice mocs.

How about there being a vote on various competition proposals?

My suggestion would be Olympic Games. The construction time should be at least 2-4 months. The 4 official factions and all nations in Jameis Farstrider's Guide to Halos are eligible to participate.

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Maybe it's time for a new holiday for the new era?

2 hours ago, NOD said:

My suggestion would be Olympic Games.

FYI, there used to be a BoBS Football (Soccer) Cup, but it hasn't been held the last few years.

9 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

FYI, there used to be a BoBS Football (Soccer) Cup, but it hasn't been held the last few years.

I remember being a "spectator" in one of these events, probably the last time it was held.

Personally i would prefer something that is fitting the Caribbean/Mesoamerican/Americas setting a bit more :pir_laugh2: But it was just a suggestion.

Sorry for being out of the loop to miss this years round - but great to see this is still going! Congrats to both winners, each build deserved the win despite such low numbers. Well done both @Justsomebrix and @NOD! :pir-classic: