F1stzz

[OFFICIAL] LEGO 40597 Scary Pirate Island - Gift With Purchase - UPDATED October 4

Currently the only GWP remaining seems to be 40596: Magic Maze , despite no indication of it anywhere, it adds to basket over €150 at european versions of LEGO.com. 

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Currently the only GWP remaining seems to be 40596: Magic Maze

So it seems to be. A shame it is, I was hoping to obtain that Scary Pirate Island. :pir-sceptic:

Stupid question but out of curiosity i'll ask. I only got a gwp once and i didn't even know there was one up for grabs when i bought parts a PAB online. Of course they had to ship in in different boxes as they came from warehouses in different countries. But when you buy a set and get a gwp, are they shipped in the same box?

27 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Stupid question but out of curiosity i'll ask. I only got a gwp once and i didn't even know there was one up for grabs when i bought parts a PAB online. Of course they had to ship in in different boxes as they came from warehouses in different countries. But when you buy a set and get a gwp, are they shipped in the same box?

Usually, yes. I bought El Dorado online back when it came out, and the two eligible GWP's at the time shipped with the set.

2 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

Usually, yes. I bought El Dorado online back when it came out, and the two eligible GWP's at the time shipped with the set.

Thank ye :pir-huzzah2:

On 10/14/2023 at 12:38 PM, Jack Sassy said:

So it seems to be. A shame it is, I was hoping to obtain that Scary Pirate Island. :pir-sceptic:

You may have some luck getting one if you have a lego store nearby. Mine had a bunch of scary islands still available yesterday. They also had a few older gwp for sale like the blacktron cruiser!

12 hours ago, bingowaldorf said:

... They also had a few older gwp for sale like the blacktron cruiser!

Older GWP's on sale? Never saw that happen at the nearest LEGO stores near me. Bricklink resellers, yes. But not official stores.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, bingowaldorf said:

You may have some luck getting one if you have a lego store nearby. Mine had a bunch of scary islands still available yesterday. They also had a few older gwp for sale like the blacktron cruiser!

Some store that get less crowds don’t use up all of those gwps and will save them or give them away at a later date, I don’t think this applies to every store sadly

I ordered some Black Falcon legs and torsos, some dark azure bicycle sign tiles for cycle paths in my city, as well as a few other parts for ongoing projects, and qualified for this and a Fun and Funky add on. The Fun and Funky pack will be going in my bits boxes after I take out a few pieces that I’ve got intended uses for, an extra two pigs for POBB for example. As for Scary Pirate Island, I plan on using the parts and following the design concept of the set to create an enlarge and more detailed UCS style model that have a similar footprint to SleeplessNight’s rendition of Sabre Island. I’ll be getting a few copies of the Pirates and Treasure add on pack from eBay and probably another couple of theseScary Pirate Island sets from eBay for the project.

GWP like this plus double points are very dangerous, got mine and built mine few days ago, here are some of my thoughts:

THE GOOD:

• Great looking small location build as desktop display.
  • Very well designed shark head shaped rock/cave.
  • Relatively low purchase threshold compared to other GWPs this year.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• I wish the raft uses individual round pieces.

It's really a nice little GWP.  I'm always a fan of small location build like this.  The shark design is nice but I wouldn't call it scary though.  I thoroughly enjoyed the build and outcome in the end.  While it cannot be classified as criticism, I wish LEGO bring back the chrome gold coins in the future because currently the treasure not really shiny =). With a low purchase threshold, I hope everyone manage to get one! 

On 10/16/2023 at 7:04 PM, bingowaldorf said:

You may have some luck getting one if you have a lego store nearby.

Sadly the last physical LEGO store in Latvia closed around 2018 or 2019 I think. :pirate-sad

On 10/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, Captain Pirate Man said:

It's because Lego doesn't have a lot of faith in Imperial sets selling anymore, heck they don't even have faith in them as a GWP.

I've also heard that a set that is meant for the Pirates faction FAR outsells anything meant for the Imperials.

Just my observations.

That is so depressing and I can't understand the state of mind of the people who prefer the pirates. Sure, they have fancier ships for some reason but imperial soldiers are so much cooler?

I only had the 6266 Cannon Cove growing up plus one additional soldier from the 6258 Smuggler's Shanty and I always wished I had some more. Pirates on the other hand I had loads of and there's some sort of limit there to how many is fun to have whereas an imperial navy can't get too big.

On 10/23/2023 at 3:45 AM, Captain_SoyBeard said:

That is so depressing and I can't understand the state of mind of the people who prefer the pirates. Sure, they have fancier ships for some reason but imperial soldiers are so much cooler?

I only had the 6266 Cannon Cove growing up plus one additional soldier from the 6258 Smuggler's Shanty and I always wished I had some more. Pirates on the other hand I had loads of and there's some sort of limit there to how many is fun to have whereas an imperial navy can't get too big.

I like BOTH equally, of I'm honest. Pirate ships are cooler than Imperial ships, they just are. But land bases and minifigs I prefer the Imperials. Honestly, you need a TON of both IMO. But i DO think you can have enough pirate minifigs, but you can never have enough Imperial minifigs.

6 hours ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

Fair enough!

Do you think this GWP will return? That Blacktron ship did...

We can't really know for sure. Luckily if it doesn't come back, as of now, it isn't too expensive on the aftermarket. I think it's at about $20, which is what Lego values it at.

Saw this set on Ebay just now with the Halloween Add-on for £12 in a bundle and caved in... Definitely want to mod it a bit, that tower definitely goes. I quite like the small tweaks to the rock and cave done here:

Edited by zinnn