Peppermint_M

LEGO Monkie Kid 2024 Rumours and Discussion

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Whoa! A lot to look at in this set! I see new fence molds, a new peach mold

New peach mould? It just look like a Technic ball to me. 

Edit: It actually is a new piece - Nice! 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

What a fantastic set! Another one loaded with character(both minifig & buildings)! I didn’t realize we were gonna be getting such a sprawling Megaopolis, I love it. Hopefully it’ll as well priced as Lanterns was...and that LEGO would finally put these sets back in stores.

Wow. Can’t wait to see high quality images, although I like what I see already. I hope it’s the same price as CoL. I somewhat like the figure selection, cool getting lots of new parts and the different figures but it would have been a godsend to get the original figures in all of them. Macaque and Tang especially. The build itself looks very impressive, I like the wide array of buildings and how each character has a tie to one at least. Not really a fan of how empty it feels though, they could have bulked up the buildings, it feels way more empty because of how the elevator and the other 2 builds are positioned. Not a fan of the ferris wheel in concept and execution to be honest as well. Other than that though, stellar build and parts pack, hopefully it does connect to the city of lanterns and I think then it will look the best. I like how design cues like the billboard and the electrical pole are carried over, and the real railway track has a 2x2 tile on it so I think that confirms it can connect up. I like the outfits for the gold and silver demons, they will be good for customs and the entire build on the left side of the elevator looks really cool. This would be an awesome project for a Ninjago city integration I suppose. 

Edited by a guy from somewhere

Megalopolis looks great, and definitely compatible with the City of Lanterns - in several ways, it seems, since Bone Demon’s shop has stairs there that seem pointless unless they’re used to bridge the gap between the two-storey-tall CoL with the three-storey-tall Megalopolis. 

But, but I have to ask . . why is there snow at the base of the thing? Literally, why? It clashes so much, it’s so unnecessary, having a random snowdrift looks so out of place . . even if it’s supposed to be clouds, that still doesn’t make any sense . . why?

Just now, Fenghuang0296 said:

Megalopolis looks great, and definitely compatible with the City of Lanterns - in several ways, it seems, since Bone Demon’s shop has stairs there that seem pointless unless they’re used to bridge the gap between the two-storey-tall CoL with the three-storey-tall Megalopolis. 

But, but I have to ask . . why is there snow at the base of the thing? Literally, why? It clashes so much, it’s so unnecessary, having a random snowdrift looks so out of place . . even if it’s supposed to be clouds, that still doesn’t make any sense . . why?

THIS. I agree, not a fan of the clouds. It feels like theres a lot of good ideas and concepts but mixed execution, unlike the city of lanterns, which is basically perfect. Still, comparison is the killer of joy, and this looks absolutely awesome. 

All those antagonists turned into civilians is a cool touch, shame they lose thier unique headgear though.

A little underwhelming buildwise, just seems lesser and smaller than the city of lanterns, but still looks good.

9 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Awesome-looking set! :thumbup: Also, this appears to be the first time they‘re celebrating the fourth anniversary of a theme, right? :laugh: 

Yeah, kinda weird they’re doing an anniversary for the 5th year (I thought it was the 4th???). There’s also a GWP with an exclusive monkey king figure on Dylan chows Instagram page. 

So now I have to buy 80044 too?! My one and only MK set is City of Lanterns.
LEGO-Monkie-Kid-80054-Megapolis-City-8.j

23 minutes ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Yeah, kinda weird they’re doing an anniversary for the 5th year (I thought it was the 4th???). There’s also a GWP with an exclusive monkey king figure on Dylan chows Instagram page. 

It's "5th year" not "5 year" anniversary. 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024... so 5th wave of sets.

7 hours ago, R0Sch said:

It's "5th year" not "5 year" anniversary. 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024... so 5th wave of sets.

That makes a bit more sense. That picture is amazing, I need HD pics of this set ASAP. How long did it take for us to get pics of the monkey mech last year? 

Also I can recommend the team hideout, it's good, not as good as city of lanterns, but still pretty damn strong and looks awesome. I dont really agree with it being compatible with the other 2 city sets, I feel like the rural landscape stands out a bit too much but the modularity is nice. funny how theres like 20 versions of pigsys noodles now, hes running a business anywhere he can!

WOW

Go wild, I want to hear any and all theories. I have a few. really loving macaques outfit, looks so damn cool. Strange that MK no longer has any side printing on legs or arms, hopefully this is just an exclusive variant for the set and his regular suit is much more interesting. Looks like jade snakes could be our new villain. Maybe a hunt for a new jade emperor? 

Really neat overview!

It sounds like the set might not be "canon" but there's always a chance that they find a way to work these neat versions of the villains into the show—maybe this could be another Calabash illusion or something?

I love how each of the villains got an appropriate job—the silk-themed Spider Queen is a seamstress, Lady Bone Demon is a chiropractor, Red Son is in charge of a barbecue (autism be damned my boy can work a grill!), the always punk-rock Macaque is a graffiti artist, and the over-the-top Gold and Silver Horned Demons are Daft Punk-style DJs. Other businesses like the jade shop and the new version of Pigsy's Noodles also look great.

I've spotted some other easter eggs in the set already—one of the transparent billboards on the classic space building is commemorating the 50th anniversary of 200 LEGO Family.

4 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Go wild, I want to hear any and all theories. I have a few. 

The Jade Rabbit Spirit fits the jade but not the snakes, and the Python Demon fits the snakes but not the jade (her colour is red). Maybe LEGO plans to change her colour to green, since we have gotten multiple red villains already (DBK family, Macaque), but that seems unlikely given how surprisingly accurate to the source material the theme is. 

Another one, this time by user @DuckBricks. Dude is living the dream right now. I have to say, I redact my previous statement. I absolutely love this set, I just hope the price won’t be extortionate. Highest I’ll go is £140. Other than that, I’m absolutely sold. Hopefully the other monkie kid sets and the ninjago sets aren’t gonna be as good as this othwise I’m gonna need to seriously rethink my budget. 

Edited by a guy from somewhere

4 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Thanks for sharing this, it's a great overview, it does make me like the set more and I already liked it! 

Also a good look at the Chinese new year set, which I intend on getting!

Just got the prices. £160, $190 and €175. Ouch. That really hurts, it's about the same size as city of lanterns I believe. Season 5 villain is called "Nuwa". Dang. Still, im sold, but im gonna have to find some extra cash. 

Uh, what 5th anniversary? 

Anyways, I’m excited about Megapolis and the villians-turned-civilian minifigures! 

They definitely nailed this combo. Not on par with Ninjago City, but pretty close, especially with all the Easter eggs and references to older MK sets.
n3E69yB.jpg

Overall, not quite as enthusiastic as I was with City of Lanterns...and deep down, I was hoping for a 4000-5000 piece set. Even if that was never up for debate. Are we still assuming the end of the series (or is that off the table?) and that this would be the big bang for the finale? An extension of the tracks would have been great and the Ferris wheel somehow doesn't fit in.

But still it's fantastic, the colors, the Easter eggs, the minifigures and all the prints or stickers. I love the possibility of design.
I try to combine it with the Ninjago sets, I think the combination of both subject areas is so great, they go well together. I would find two individual topic blocks next to each other...separate.

The price is...phew.
But this set, the markets and also the new restaurant from CNY. There are still a few great sets on the list.

10 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Does anyone have a higher quality image of this or the other picture of everything combined? Need to find one ASAP and would appreciate if anyone can point me in the direction of one.

5 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Season 5 villain is called "Nuwa". 

Very interesting! Nüwa does not seem to have been a villainous figure (she created Humans and repaired the sky), but her lower body is that of a snake, so that part does fit the hints in the set. Also, if Nüwa is in the next season, then the five coloured stones are absolutely going to be the collectible item! 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Very interesting! Nüwa does not seem to have been a villainous figure (she created Humans and repaired the sky), but her lower body is that of a snake, so that part does fit the hints in the set. Also, if Nüwa is in the next season, then the five coloured stones are absolutely going to be the collectible item! 

If Nuwa has a lower body that of a snake, it would be interesting to see a return of Medusa’s lower body part from the older CMF Series! 

4 minutes ago, Lion King said:

If Nuwa has a lower body that of a snake, it would be interesting to see a return of Medusa’s lower body part from the older CMF Series! 

To be fair in the duckbricks video you can see the silhouette of the Medusa hairpiece on a poster on the side wall of the jade store. I think it’s likely. Can’t wait for the wider community to see “snakes! It’s just a Ninjago rip off” like Ninjago hasn’t been doing snakes over and over and over again for years. Don’t get me wrong I love both themes but I wish there could be something a little more interesting cooked up in those prestigious designer concept sessions. Like the amount of unique snake figures I have now is ridiculous. You want a sea snake? Have a hydro-whipper. A tunnelling snake? Have a constricti. A python? Pythor! A mummified snake? Pyro viper! Sorceress snake? Aspherea! Warriors made of snakes taking on a human form? Vermillion! Snakes that like giant ham sandwiches? Chokun! Snakes that hypnotise you? Hypnobri……. The list is endless. 

Seriously what is with Ninjago and snakes?