Sign in to follow this  
brickphisto

[MOC] Mini 5580 Highway Rig [free instructions]

I am happy to present my mini version of the classic Lego 5580 Model Team Highway Rig. The scale is roughly Speed Champions scale and the model features opening doors and a working V8 fake engine which hides under the hood. Just as you would expect from a classic Model Team set exterior and interior are highly detailed. The biggest challenge was to squeeze the engine inside the tiny engine compartment which is only four studs wide. The colour scheme is slightly different to the original one because I planned to submit it to BDP 3 (which I no longer do) and some blue parts were not available in the BDP 3 palette. I am tempted to add a trailer to store some Speed Champions cars in the near future.

I hope you like the model. Feel free to build your own copy: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-157766/brickphisto/mini-5580-highway-rig/#details

Lego Mini 5580 Highway Rig (8)Lego Mini 5580 Highway Rig 3Lego Mini 5580 Highway Rig (3)Lego Mini 5580 Highway Rig (5)

Edited by brickphisto
new pictures; typo

This is just so cool! Impressive to see you managed to fit that engine in there. The rig looks perfect in speed champion size. I wonder if TLG will ever venture into the truck category with their own line in the future. :)

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Really cool model. Looking through the instructions makes you appreciate the building techniques in this little thing. It surprised me that the engine is actually working since there is no steering. I wish there was a way to fit the steering into this model.

out of curiosity - is the blue axle-pin in the fifth wheel made blue by design? Looking at the instruction, you could have done the attachment point in black the same as in the front portion of this fifth wheel.

7 hours ago, zoo said:

This is just so cool! Impressive to see you managed to fit that engine in there. The rig looks perfect in speed champion size. I wonder if TLG will ever venture into the truck category with their own line in the future. :)

Thank you very much! Looking at how much people seem to love 42098 I also think a Speed Champions car transporter is long overdue.

6 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Really cool model. Looking through the instructions makes you appreciate the building techniques in this little thing. It surprised me that the engine is actually working since there is no steering. I wish there was a way to fit the steering into this model.

out of curiosity - is the blue axle-pin in the fifth wheel made blue by design? Looking at the instruction, you could have done the attachment point in black the same as in the front portion of this fifth wheel.

Thank you very much! To be honest apart from the fake engine the build was pretty much straightforward.

Sadly there is no way to add steering (at least for me) because the tyres fit so tightly into the wheel wells.

You are right about the possibility of avoiding that blue pin at the rear. It is just one of those slight imperfections that seem to be mandatory for my builds. ;-) Another one of those is (was) visible in the pictures but has been improved in the instructions already: The 4x6 plate at the bottom of the front bumper should be (is now) lbg instead of black.

Edited by brickphisto
typo

Really nice! I guess the black cat truck (5571) is 'on its way' as well? Do minifigures fit? That would be especially cool of course. 

On 9/2/2023 at 10:30 PM, Milan said:

Frontpaged.

Thank you very much!

On 9/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, JopieK said:

Really nice! I guess the black cat truck (5571) is 'on its way' as well? Do minifigures fit? That would be especially cool of course. 

Thanks! I do have 5571 in my mind but it is not 'on its way' yet as other projects will come first. Minifigures fit inside but a very slight and easy modification is needed to get the driver's legs under the steering wheel.

16 hours ago, _TLG_ said:

Cool, clean build!

Thanks!

This was probably my favourite set as a child and I always loved Model Team, and this is a great modern rendition of it! Also very impressed that you managed to squeeze in a working engine.

Not just cool, but sehr cool :)

Wish TLG would also re-release Model Team sets with the current part portfolio.

15 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

This is crazy, I remember this set it was at the beginning of my dark age ...beautiful work! :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks!

7 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Not just cool, but sehr cool :)

Wish TLG would also re-release Model Team sets with the current part portfolio.

Thanks! Exactly my thoughts. But seeing more and more retro sets being released my hopes are alive we will someday see a Model Team comeback.

5 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

That’s just really cool! Not only the looks are spot on, but that fake engine elevates it even more!

Thanks! Yes, I am glad to have made the fake engine fit inside. Without it the model would lack something and would just not be "Model Team-ish" enough.

This is just awesome, congrats! If I am not mistaken, are you the designer of the CaDa Porsche 911? I own it and I enjoyed a lot its build, with a lot of functions and no colour vomit unlike modern Lego vehicles. I hope you come up with another Model Team inspired MOC that will be sold as a set, thus being affordable to everyone. I created a Bricklink wanted list for your MOC and it would cost 43 euros+shipping, unfortunately quite steep for a MOC of this size. The free instructions are of course appreciated.

Edited by johnnytifosi

Thank you very much! Indeed I am the one who designed the classic sportscar and the London taxi for CaDA. If you like the 911 you will surely love the C4 WRC which has the same (Creator Expert) style and functions. Hopefully it will hit the market soon. A fourth model is in the pipeline but I cannot reveal the model or license holder yet.

Regarding my mini 5580: If you have a decent parts collection you will most certainly have lots of parts available. I paid about 50€ including shipping for the missing parts of two copies. One of them will be exhibited at the Lego House in Billund. You can replace the dark green 1x2 tiles by a more common colour to save a few euros. I feel 43€ + shipping is not too bad for 500+ parts. But I agree that as much as I like the finished model it does not look or feel like 50€.

Altough I did not plan to submit my Mini 5580 to BDP series 3 I changed my mind and submitted a modified version. A working steering system operated via the spare wheel replaces the working V8 fake engine. The steering mechanism was rather tricky to implement considering the tight space but it works surprisingly well and flawlessly. There was still some space to squeeze a (not working) V8 engine under the hood which can still be opened as well as the doors. I also changed some minor deails (mainly the colour scheme which refers to various Octan City sets).

BDP Octan Truck 5BDP Octan Truck 7BDP Octan Truck 3

If you like my model please feel free to help it become on official LEGO Bricklink set by voting and commenting here: https://www.bricklink.com/r3/designer-program/series-3/1155/Octan-Highway-Truck. In case the model does not make it into the five chosen designs I will publish free instructions.

Thank you very much!

Just as expected my truck did not make it into the top 5 of the BDP series 3. So now you can find free instructions here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-163467/brickphisto/octan-highway-truck/#details.

Could you share them on a public Google Drive link or similar? It would be more convenient for everyone. Cheers.

You are right. So I uploaded both models as well as my 8865 redux on Bricklink. I will update the links above as soon as the Bricklink team check the files.