Fraunces

[ENTRY] 1747 Treasure Surprise Remake: Rum Rock

Just in time for to enter this amazing Contest: Return of the Classic Pirates - NEW Mini Set Category

"Every soldier has a right to a drink on friday night!" Captain Valiant trade-minded brother Lieutenant Sabelotodo makes a good living on his side business: shipping, selling and stacking the best rum of the Caribbean. This particular rock had a secret rum-storage under the hidden hatch!

I present the first (this is the second version) Imperial Armada miniset with exactly 49 pieces: 

[ENTRY] Rum Rock (update)

The Lieutenant always brings his blunderbuss with him, in case he encounters pirates. 

Inspired by the Imperial Armada theme which deserved much more sets like 1747 (which always felt strange or unfinished to me ) and Jack Sparrow's rum storage in the Pirates of the Caribbean.

[ENTRY] Rum Rock

Spoiler

The first version:

[ENTRY] Rum Rock

Edited by Fraunces
A new version after the use of the critique & tips in the comments.

Nice little set! I love to see such a hiding place for vital rum supplies :pir-huzzah2: Guarded by our old friend :parrot:

The face works perfect for the minifig. From which set is the big bottle? It looks great!

Really nice twist with swapping the gold for a tasty liquid! The build is simple and nice and does the job. I also like the minifigure.

I'm not too fond of the hinges holding the cover being different color. The lighting is quite sharp in the images so it's quite hard to see if the stump under the top leaves is brown or gray? A bit more color could be added fo the handle of the cover to be a different color. Also there seems to be quite an unnecessary gap above the rounded rock piece behind the build.

Great, build, very simple but well done.  Nice concept, too!

The plant leaves should have lighter green on top and darker green on the bottom (new growth is lighter).  And I would swap out the light green foliage bricks on the top of the set for some palm leaves, a single modern palm leaf would work there and free up a piece for other purposes.

I'm not sure I understand the coin's role here, it seems unnecessary (?)

This is really nice and a solid entry.  Good job!

I'll start off by saying, I didn't connect this set to the original with all of the changes. The theme is the same but it is quite the shift.  Not an unwelcome one; just a bit of a surprise.

The rocks on the left side of the set is a bit flat. I think you could fix that by removing one leaf piece and putting a 1x2 dark grey cheese slope piece there to add some variety. 

Nifty work! You did a great job retaining the play features and decorative details from the original set, but with a substantially bigger and more naturalistic-looking design. The colors are very lovely and well balanced, and a great fit for the tropical setting. I also love that you added some fun new details like a parrot and a clip for the Lieutenant's gun!

Obviously, LEGO would be unlikely to identify the contents of the bottles as any type of liquor in an official set name or description in this day and age. But I personally wouldn't hold that against this model, particularly when it's being submitted to a contest on an AFOL-targeted website like this, and isn't going out of its way to be mature/crude/scandalous.

I am a little unsure about the use of that old Belville jug/bottle in a MOC designed to resemble a modern set, since that particular piece is long retired, and if LEGO made a modern jug piece, I feel like it would be a lot smaller and simpler to maximize its compatibility with minifig- and minidoll-scale sets. I do appreciate the value of including a larger and more distinctive bottle/flask for variety's sake instead of just several identical bottles. However, a brick-built design (perhaps using similar parts/techniques to the potion bottles from the LEGO Minecraft sets) might be more fitting.

I also agree with @iragm that the coin feels a bit incongruous since you changed the treasure stash to a rum stash, and it might be more fitting to have the Lieutenant holding a gun or sword in the main image (as with the pirate in the original set).

That said, you did a great job with this I feel — it fits in nicely with the style of other recent LEGO Pirates throwback sets, but presents a very different subject and scenario, and at a nice compact size. Best of luck in the contest!

4 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Nice little set! I love to see such a hiding place for vital rum supplies :pir-huzzah2: Guarded by our old friend :parrot:

The face works perfect for the minifig. From which set is the big bottle? It looks great!

Thanks! The face of the minifig was just so nice I couldn't help using it. The big bottle originates from those small LEGO Jack Stones pirates sets. A great piece they need to bring back if you ask me .

4 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Really nice twist with swapping the gold for a tasty liquid! The build is simple and nice and does the job. I also like the minifigure.

I'm not too fond of the hinges holding the cover being different color. The lighting is quite sharp in the images so it's quite hard to see if the stump under the top leaves is brown or gray? A bit more color could be added fo the handle of the cover to be a different color. Also there seems to be quite an unnecessary gap above the rounded rock piece behind the build.

Thank you, about the hinges: me too. I just don't have 2 dark grey ones. You'd have to excuse me. I made the handle brown now, swapped the treetrunk with a brown pole and the unnecessary gap above the rounded rock is now closed in the second version. Thanks for the feedback!

3 hours ago, iragm said:

Great, build, very simple but well done.  Nice concept, too!

The plant leaves should have lighter green on top and darker green on the bottom (new growth is lighter).  And I would swap out the light green foliage bricks on the top of the set for some palm leaves, a single modern palm leaf would work there and free up a piece for other purposes.

I'm not sure I understand the coin's role here, it seems unnecessary (?)

This is really nice and a solid entry.  Good job!

The leaves are swapped in this new version, thanks for the heads-up! Also the foliage-tip I took to heart and changed it to more piratey-like palm trees. In the end I still had the same brickpart after skipping the coin: you are right it was just too much considering I swapped the original sets coins for rum bottles. Got to keep consistent!

37 minutes ago, durazno33 said:

I'll start off by saying, I didn't connect this set to the original with all of the changes. The theme is the same but it is quite the shift.  Not an unwelcome one; just a bit of a surprise.

The rocks on the left side of the set is a bit flat. I think you could fix that by removing one leaf piece and putting a 1x2 dark grey cheese slope piece there to add some variety. 

Well, after I finished I also noticed it didn't really look 100% like the base-material anymore. :grin:

I tried your tip about the cheese slope but it just didn't look right... Changed it back to the leaves to make it more jungly again .

This is a very cheeky set!
Great build style.
I would try adding some different colors for the stones.
Articulate the rock just a bit more.
Love the bottles.
Keep up the great work!

The opening rock is a bit primitive although simple, a rock you can lift up might be better though, the gold is unnecessary, as the rum is clearly the real treasure, other than this the rock looks nice and the story is clear, so happy building :)

Just tell @Mister Phes to add this to the entry index :)

5 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Minifigure, Utensil Flask with Handle / Jug : Part 4429 | BrickLink that's the part number, and it's from this set Scurvy Dog and Crocodile : Set 7080-1 | BrickLink

53 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

Also the foliage-tip I took to heart and changed it to more piratey-like palm trees

This looks really nice now, a huge improvement!

I actually love it. Charming funny little build, with nice rock and plant work, interesting stash, even if that hatch is not exactly concealed and i guess everyone would easily fing did. Tho perhaps those leaves can be used to cover it? I can;t see if there a play feature like this on the photo You've provided. So consider this idea to be used in future mocs, if You'd like to :)

And i have same thoughts about vegetation. One of those plants on the wall looks like something pullable, that could trigger some effect? Or do i see too much again? ;)

But anyway, it is a hiding place that could appeal to anyone in my oppinion. Doesn;t matter what;s inside it. And as You said, original one seemed unfinised. And this one looks as one cool set usable for many plays. And the character is even more intruguing. This might be the best Armada soldier done in all of the Entries. Something about his face, and even that plume. Very nice. Even that bottle he;s holding, the color chosen, the fact that it's a seetrough item is a plus. Even such simple things make it quite attractive.

Not sure if the contencts of that secret treasury would be appealing to many, and Lego might have something to say against promotion of drinking ( it;s actualy prohibited in some countries now ), but it;s still something different from all those hidden coins, diamonds, golden bars etc. To me, after seeing so many similar entries, this little difference is quite refreshing. I think it would be even cooler if that cave could made bigger, so that he would be able to hide inside to undergo a booze treatment. 

And i don't think that since You went with liquor that single coin is needed in there. After all, he doesn;t need it to buy contents of this treasure, nor is this a vending machine... or is it? ;) And that little coin is still a piece that could be switched for something more valuable. Like a snake, which could symbolize dangers of drinking ;)

Or a warning sign, that could make it even funnier, "keep out", "restricted area", "shark zone", "radioactive", "mine field" or somesuch :) After all, this set is for pure fun, not to be taken seriously, so why not go all the way ;) 

1 minute ago, Mister Phes said:

Tell?  He could ask nicely. :pir-grin:

You are right I, nor anyone else should neglect manners in front of royalty, the governor :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Nifty work! You did a great job retaining the play features and decorative details from the original set, but with a substantially bigger and more naturalistic-looking design. The colors are very lovely and well balanced, and a great fit for the tropical setting. I also love that you added some fun new details like a parrot and a clip for the Lieutenant's gun!

Thanks!

But I personally wouldn't hold that against this model, 

I wish LEGO would keep the same standard... but what you say is true ofcourse they are very cautious nowadays in Billund.

that old Belville jug/bottle

I just love it, although I understand your reservations.

1 hour ago, hatchpattern said:

This is a very cheeky set!
Great build style.
I would try adding some different colors for the stones.
Articulate the rock just a bit more.
Love the bottles.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks about the compliment but I can't change the bricks anymore, I am too late now to make a third version. 

1 hour ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

The opening rock is a bit primitive although simple, a rock you can lift up might be better though, the gold is unnecessary, as the rum is clearly the real treasure, other than this the rock looks nice and the story is clear, so happy building :)

Just tell @Mister Phes to add this to the entry index :)

Thanks, and I know the hatch seems a little primitive but i have tried EVERYTHING and this is the one which looked best considering the contests aim. The coin is now gone in V2 bc you are right: he Rum is the treasure :pir-huzzah1:

31 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Tell?  He could ask nicely. :pir-grin:

It has Rum Rock has been added to the Entries Index.

Thanks a lot well appreciated and esteemed pirate moderator! You are doing a great job, and in Dutch we would say : "it might be said" (so People may know about it)

30 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

You are right I, nor anyone else should neglect manners in front of royalty, the governor :pir_laugh2:

Considering this a forum full of pirates,  I would say we keep a decent amount of manners in respect to the authority of Phes  :pir_laugh2:

@MazinThank you very much for the elaborated comment. You are right, and i dropped the coin in version 2. I wish I read your comment before BC a "keepout" sign or a snake would be a good addition I think. Now I am not able to change unfortunately but I do like you imaged some additions. 

1 hour ago, Mazin said:

This might be the best Armada soldier done in all of the Entries.

Thanks! I have to give the Brethren of the Brick Seas a shoutout here, as I believe the Eslandolan standard outfit in the introduction topic has this suit (except for the headprint) . I always thought it was so classic...

7 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

@MazinThank you very much for the elaborated comment. You are right, and i dropped the coin in version 2. I wish I read your comment before BC a "keepout" sign or a snake would be a good addition I think. Now I am not able to change unfortunately but I do like you imaged some additions. 

Thanks! I have to give the Brethren of the Brick Seas a shoutout here, as I believe the Eslandolan standard outfit in the introduction topic has this suit (except for the headprint) . I always thought it was so classic...

Thanx for responding :) I'm very happy You liked my thoughts :)

BTW, what did You replace that coin with then? Or did You just loose that piece, and nothing new came instead? :)  

15 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Thank you, about the hinges: me too. I just don't have 2 dark grey ones. You'd have to excuse me. I made the handle brown now, swapped the treetrunk with a brown pole and the unnecessary gap above the rounded rock is now closed in the second version. Thanks for the feedback!

Not even two brown ones? Would work out even better (:

13 hours ago, Mazin said:

BTW, what did You replace that coin with then? Or did You just loose that piece, and nothing new came instead? :)  

Just skipped it to make parts free, a battle to keep under 50 parts....

1 hour ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Not even two brown ones? Would work out even better (:

I did that first but later swapped again and made 1 Brown with below it a diagonal cornerbrick to close the gap which was mentioned here, the idea was to make it part of the trunk of the tree . Later changed it again, building in that scale is just like a long puzzle :laugh: