Hi again,

here is my second take on the 90s bluecoats, as entry for the pirate contest. In my opinion the Eldorado Fortress lacks in defence so I thought they should add a bastion on a close Island to defend the Fortress to Pirates and even the Redcoat Fleet or the Imperial Fleet.

So present to you the Eldorado Bastion:

53139885782_b978e298f6_c.jpg

The bastion is heavily armed withe 3 static and 2 rotating cannons on towers.

53140898325_8f411504e8_c.jpg

I used the famous baseplate but I wanted to break the rectangular shape wit the pier and the towers.

53140897215_8511aac559_c.jpg

The Bastion can hold amunition in its center and has some supplies, ready to load on the Caribbean Brig on the ramp and dock.

53140687214_463b9b12ec_c.jpg

The admiral and frech soldiers are waiting for the arrival of Governor Broadside.

53140688914_d6f7646202_c.jpg

A small crane is ready load the cargo.

53139887112_cff7a6155e_c.jpg

Here I added some shots with both sets combined (Eldorado Bastion + Caribbean Brig):

53140907345_c365a76503_c.jpg

53140907675_cf0d71275a_c.jpg

There are some more pictures in the Flickr-Album.

Everybody shoud think twice if he sails close to the Bastion and the Caribbean Brig! :pir-murder:

I hope you like my very classic take on these two contest entrys, here you can find Caribbean Brig. There should be only old parts, available in the classic pirates eras.

Good luck everyone, I hope I find some time to stumble through all the new creations and contest entrys!

Edited by Stoertebricker

Very impressive moc, it's quite attractive for me as a historian, but i'm not sure if it isn't too militaristic for a Lego set, as Lego Pirates is full arms, but also forts a bit into this romantic fairytale category, and this is pure military. So, tho i definitely like it and adore what You've managed to do here to enchance that classic baseplate, i think that it would probably have to sacrifice few of those cannons to be more legit, plus the colors You've chosen are very cold, black and grey blend nicely, but i think it could use a bit of others shades to enchance the carribean spirit. And the way it's constructed it's kinda low and squerish, and people prefer more architectual diversity in Lego designs. Tho i absolutely like Your rockwork, it's very impressive and all those additions to the baseplate are A+ in my opinion, lovely towers, lovely arch, lovely tunel, nice bridge. Then again there's hardly space and time to do any upgrades, and i'm not realy sure what could i suggest.

I think that it would get more points if there one a higher tower, possibly a lighhouse could be added. I know that it might be against Yout idea of a redoubt, but it would visually help this build very much. And when i point to towers i think about the one without any cannons, where the main flag is located. Or it could be placed in the middle of Your structure, like where that admiral is located. There's nothing realy there except of that ( nice looking hut ), so i guess it could be more developed. 

But it might be an idea for the future - lighhouse tower, clock tower, whaterver, somethin that would make it stand out even more, and where You could add more color or vegetation, cause plants are also almost nonexistent in here, and they are usually added to bring more "life".

Then again, maybe it doesn't even need to be a tower. Maybe it could be just a nice roof made out of palm tree leaves, or sails, that could provide sun shade or protection from the rain for Your admiral/governor fellow. I just thing even simple upgrades to that area could make the whole set more appealing, and bring a bit of color. Some nice sitting/dinner set could be a good addition too... or You know what?... a simple rotating chair/throne to observe what's going in all direction could be great. If it woudl be colorful too :) Something that captain Kirk or Jean Luce Picard would sit in on Star Trek ;)   

But the way it is now, i'm curious what in that hut and what's in that depression in the baseplate, cause photos don't help me to take a trip there ;)

And i've tho i'm sceptical to so many guns, i do like the way You positioned them, and different techniques You used for towers, while all of them work nicely together. Circular cannon position is fantastic, great design! Tower next to it got some awesome elements too. And those black battlements. 

I wonder if lowers parts of all those towers could be used for some hidden staches tho? Unless of course they are built around those corners in a way that provides very little to no space inside ;) 

And i've always like the idea of "militia" soldiers, frequently used bandanas for uniform for my troopers as well :) So i'll ive You point for that. 

Not sure if folks here will like the lack of modern torsos and heads. I don't mind, but im more attached to classic Lego figs and i don't see a need to push for modern revolution among every possible character ;)

I'm also curious about that area where that sail and the jetty is, as it seems there's a lot of action there, because of all the supplies. It mignt be my favourite location in here, as it realy creates this vibe of architecure associated with french or english wharfs. It's sort of the place where in movies or novels usualy someone tries to either escape from a chase, or a spy arrives, or a murder is commited and the victim is foung :)

I would do a bit more thinking about that bridge that leads to Your ship tho. Although i very much like the idea behind it, as it completely changes the overal shape of the classic baseplate and its wonderfully designed in it's lower parts ( love those arches again! ) i think it could be donne better on the top. Those black finishes are nice, but is it realy finished? I like the handrail and i like the crane, but at least that closing element on it's edge is a bit confusing. So i would suggest just adding more handrail for the whole lenght of the bridge and then let it be open at the end... or perhaps a little ganway or small drawbridge could be added in there to connect Your bastion with a vessel and to create a visual finish for this part of the set... Not to mention that it would be a great play feature too ;)

To be honest, at first i even thought that Your bridge is there to offer a connection to Eldorado or other sets... and i gues it could still serve this purpose if kids playing with it would be willing to do so ;)  

Very different and therefor a very cool entry. Although I do agree with Mazin that it is a bit too dark and too military focused. For an official set there are also far too many minifigures included and we miss some good old pirates to play out some stories. Probably making a yellow and white design of the same thing wouldn't even look that militaristic and would fit the classic soldiers nicely - skipping a cannon or three (;

But there are a lot of details to like all around this build. I really like the angled pier part and everything around and on it. The crane is very minimalistic yet looks fine and does it's job!

As has been said, you did a great job of integrating the raised baseplate. I got vibes of a star fort when I first saw it. I wonder if you had two or three copies of your MOC, if you could create a star fort.  

I do wonder why your east and west towers (looking down from above) don't match styles? It would add some continuity between the two corners of the build.

That shape you made with the base plate, perfect, that's the only word, it perfectly represents the shape of those old star forts that they used to make :) Here are some suggestions though, first as I stated with your Caribbean clipper there are too many minifigs for this to be a set, and maybe one or two too many guns. Other than this I would make a place for the minifigs to stay when they're not on duty, even a small table would work and perhaps you could add a way for this to attach to the old Eldarado fortress. Anyway, your set looks great so far, so happy building :)

I would say the build is amazing. It looks more realistic than LEGO's fortresses and that's why I love this design. The minifgs are also typical: everybody used that kind of adaptation to the imperial soldiers if they are building big imperial fortresses and need some more manpower. However LEGO would not do that I think. Also LEGO would use more colour, it's too grey to be an official set, LEGO would use colours to make the box art jump out. So that's my main critique although I have to say I really like the build as it is something which just looks so familiar in a sense.

Wow, the base if very unique. I think it feels more true to actual embattlements along the sea.
I think more rock elements would help to make it feel more grounded.
I am curious about the battered walls, with slanted plates, as opposed to building up brick stone traditionally.
There is quite alot packed into this set. Lot's of playability.|
Of course, a TON of cannon fun.
Keep up the great work!

22 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Probably making a yellow and white design of the same thing wouldn't even look that militaristic and would fit the classic soldiers nicely - skipping a cannon or three (;

Best advice here!

This is a great use of the pit and ramp baseplate to make an incredible fort.  As with your Caribbean Brig, there are too many minifigures and cannons.  The overall design is very nice, and the concept itself is outstanding.

I especially like the way the pier breaks the grid, it's just perfect.

Ultimately, this feels much more like a MOC than an official set.  While it's excellent in its own right, it's just a bit too complex and large for an official set.  Still, very nice work.  If you make instructions available, I'm sure lots of people would buy them.

1 hour ago, Mazin said:

I think we might have forgotten about this one too @Mister Phes ? :) How about adding it? 

These entrants are very fortunate to have you!

48 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Thanx, well, it's just that looking at the Index, i'd swear i've reviewed more of them, so they might be missing ;) And i'm still sure there was more entries than those that are linked ;) Anyway, i hope they will fing their way in before 28th, cause we wouldn't want votes lo reveal their verdicts without even realizing there's stuff they haven't seen ;) 

On 8/25/2023 at 6:44 PM, Mazin said:

Very impressive moc, it's quite attractive for me as a historian, but i'm not sure if it isn't too militaristic for a Lego set, as Lego Pirates is full arms, but also forts a bit into this romantic fairytale category, and this is pure military. So, tho i definitely like it and adore what You've managed to do here to enchance that classic baseplate, i think that it would probably have to sacrifice few of those cannons to be more legit, plus the colors You've chosen are very cold, black and grey blend nicely, but i think it could use a bit of others shades to enchance the carribean spirit. And the way it's constructed it's kinda low and squerish, and people prefer more architectual diversity in Lego designs. Tho i absolutely like Your rockwork, it's very impressive and all those additions to the baseplate are A+ in my opinion, lovely towers, lovely arch, lovely tunel, nice bridge. Then again there's hardly space and time to do any upgrades, and i'm not realy sure what could i suggest.

I think that it would get more points if there one a higher tower, possibly a lighhouse could be added. I know that it might be against Yout idea of a redoubt, but it would visually help this build very much. And when i point to towers i think about the one without any cannons, where the main flag is located. Or it could be placed in the middle of Your structure, like where that admiral is located. There's nothing realy there except of that ( nice looking hut ), so i guess it could be more developed. 

But it might be an idea for the future - lighhouse tower, clock tower, whaterver, somethin that would make it stand out even more, and where You could add more color or vegetation, cause plants are also almost nonexistent in here, and they are usually added to bring more "life".

Then again, maybe it doesn't even need to be a tower. Maybe it could be just a nice roof made out of palm tree leaves, or sails, that could provide sun shade or protection from the rain for Your admiral/governor fellow. I just thing even simple upgrades to that area could make the whole set more appealing, and bring a bit of color. Some nice sitting/dinner set could be a good addition too... or You know what?... a simple rotating chair/throne to observe what's going in all direction could be great. If it woudl be colorful too :) Something that captain Kirk or Jean Luce Picard would sit in on Star Trek ;)   

But the way it is now, i'm curious what in that hut and what's in that depression in the baseplate, cause photos don't help me to take a trip there ;)

And i've tho i'm sceptical to so many guns, i do like the way You positioned them, and different techniques You used for towers, while all of them work nicely together. Circular cannon position is fantastic, great design! Tower next to it got some awesome elements too. And those black battlements. 

I wonder if lowers parts of all those towers could be used for some hidden staches tho? Unless of course they are built around those corners in a way that provides very little to no space inside ;) 

And i've always like the idea of "militia" soldiers, frequently used bandanas for uniform for my troopers as well :) So i'll ive You point for that. 

Not sure if folks here will like the lack of modern torsos and heads. I don't mind, but im more attached to classic Lego figs and i don't see a need to push for modern revolution among every possible character ;)

I'm also curious about that area where that sail and the jetty is, as it seems there's a lot of action there, because of all the supplies. It mignt be my favourite location in here, as it realy creates this vibe of architecure associated with french or english wharfs. It's sort of the place where in movies or novels usualy someone tries to either escape from a chase, or a spy arrives, or a murder is commited and the victim is foung :)

I would do a bit more thinking about that bridge that leads to Your ship tho. Although i very much like the idea behind it, as it completely changes the overal shape of the classic baseplate and its wonderfully designed in it's lower parts ( love those arches again! ) i think it could be donne better on the top. Those black finishes are nice, but is it realy finished? I like the handrail and i like the crane, but at least that closing element on it's edge is a bit confusing. So i would suggest just adding more handrail for the whole lenght of the bridge and then let it be open at the end... or perhaps a little ganway or small drawbridge could be added in there to connect Your bastion with a vessel and to create a visual finish for this part of the set... Not to mention that it would be a great play feature too ;)

To be honest, at first i even thought that Your bridge is there to offer a connection to Eldorado or other sets... and i gues it could still serve this purpose if kids playing with it would be willing to do so ;)  

1paragraf: The colour choice was intentional in contrast to the eldorado fortress. In the fortress, the grey baseplate works as a rock as the foundation where on top the fortress is constructed. Here in contrast, everything except the stones at the water line are constructed to build up the bastion. Thats why i choosed old grey as main colour. In addition why are grey/black castles with tons of minifigs suiatable as a set and my creation is not? example:  Kings castle or other sets from the Lion knights wave from around 1984.

Thanks, I liked the towers as well, I wanted to create 3 completely different ones! Yes, Bandanas are great! Smile faces, too (I wanted to stay with the classic look of the first soldiers).

When there are two many cannons, ok (we had stes with 6 and I have 5), then frow 2 of them away and let the children decide where to put them.

Yes the small port with the messi equipment is great, on top of the fort, everything has to be sorted, would be a catastophe if at battle a soldiers stumple over an oar or something. This area will also be the best place for pirates to sneak into the bastion. Yeah the bridge is needed to properly doch a big ship (one thing that lego ever missed out until today when they rereleased eldorado frotress, where you have a proper doch for e.g. the Barracuda!

On 8/25/2023 at 9:06 PM, MstrOfPppts said:

Very different and therefor a very cool entry. Although I do agree with Mazin that it is a bit too dark and too military focused. For an official set there are also far too many minifigures included and we miss some good old pirates to play out some stories. Probably making a yellow and white design of the same thing wouldn't even look that militaristic and would fit the classic soldiers nicely - skipping a cannon or three (;

But there are a lot of details to like all around this build. I really like the angled pier part and everything around and on it. The crane is very minimalistic yet looks fine and does it's job!

Thanks! As I mentioned above, check Kings Castle for reference.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:07 PM, bingowaldorf said:

Love how you used that raised baseplate!

As a kid I struggeled to use them so it was a great challenge to use one again!

On 8/26/2023 at 1:13 AM, durazno33 said:

As has been said, you did a great job of integrating the raised baseplate. I got vibes of a star fort when I first saw it. I wonder if you had two or three copies of your MOC, if you could create a star fort.  

I do wonder why your east and west towers (looking down from above) don't match styles? It would add some continuity between the two corners of the build.

That is actually the intention, here at eurobricks have been some very good renditions of star chaped forts, would be great to see if it workes with this one, too. (I have just one so could not try it out! :pir-huzzah1:)

On 8/26/2023 at 2:47 AM, Rogue Redcoat said:

That shape you made with the base plate, perfect, that's the only word, it perfectly represents the shape of those old star forts that they used to make :) Here are some suggestions though, first as I stated with your Caribbean clipper there are too many minifigs for this to be a set, and maybe one or two too many guns. Other than this I would make a place for the minifigs to stay when they're not on duty, even a small table would work and perhaps you could add a way for this to attach to the old Eldarado fortress. Anyway, your set looks great so far, so happy building :)

Thank you! My old fortress is boxed, but I will check how to connect them both when I build it next time!

On 8/26/2023 at 7:32 PM, Fraunces said:

I would say the build is amazing. It looks more realistic than LEGO's fortresses and that's why I love this design. The minifgs are also typical: everybody used that kind of adaptation to the imperial soldiers if they are building big imperial fortresses and need some more manpower. However LEGO would not do that I think. Also LEGO would use more colour, it's too grey to be an official set, LEGO would use colours to make the box art jump out. So that's my main critique although I have to say I really like the build as it is something which just looks so familiar in a sense.

For colours check Kings castle as an example :pir_tong2: because its third time mentioned, was there a rule that says: the entry has to be designed how lego would make a set at todays standards? Then I missed that one, because this entry and the Caribbean Brig both are built as it would have been done in the 80s/90s (at least, as I would have done it, if I would have been born and working at LEGO HQ).

On 8/26/2023 at 7:35 PM, hatchpattern said:

Wow, the base if very unique. I think it feels more true to actual embattlements along the sea.
I think more rock elements would help to make it feel more grounded.
I am curious about the battered walls, with slanted plates, as opposed to building up brick stone traditionally.
There is quite alot packed into this set. Lot's of playability.|
Of course, a TON of cannon fun.
Keep up the great work!

Every extra cannon makes the customer happy :cannon::pir-triumph:

On 8/26/2023 at 8:10 PM, iragm said:

Best advice here!

This is a great use of the pit and ramp baseplate to make an incredible fort.  As with your Caribbean Brig, there are too many minifigures and cannons.  The overall design is very nice, and the concept itself is outstanding.

I especially like the way the pier breaks the grid, it's just perfect.

Ultimately, this feels much more like a MOC than an official set.  While it's excellent in its own right, it's just a bit too complex and large for an official set.  Still, very nice work.  If you make instructions available, I'm sure lots of people would buy them.

I am not sure if it is too large, in contrast to eldorado fortress it is not very high and therefore more attachements to the sied of the baseplate are done (but I have to admit that I did not counted any pieces...)

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Thanks @Mazin, you create very long and good critic posts with tons of suggestions and even helped out here! Special thanks to you! :pir-thumb:

Edited by Stoertebricker

Yes, it's been said by others the colors are drab and dunkel (dark), but I really appreciate you taking the nostalgic 3/D base plate and adding the fortified corners, in an expansive manner. I am particularly fond of taking big ugly Lego pieces and using them to maximum effect. You pulled it off here! Now that's a fortification that could withstand a Redcoat or Pirate attack :).

1 hour ago, Stoertebricker said:

1paragraf: The colour choice was intentional in contrast to the eldorado fortress. In the fortress, the grey baseplate works as a rock as the foundation where on top the fortress is constructed. Here in contrast, everything except the stones at the water line are constructed to build up the bastion. Thats why i choosed old grey as main colour. In addition why are grey/black castles with tons of minifigs suiatable as a set and my creation is not? example:  Kings castle or other sets from the Lion knights wave from around 1984.

Thanks, I liked the towers as well, I wanted to create 3 completely different ones! Yes, Bandanas are great! Smile faces, too (I wanted to stay with the classic look of the first soldiers).

When there are two many cannons, ok (we had stes with 6 and I have 5), then frow 2 of them away and let the children decide where to put them.

Yes the small port with the messi equipment is great, on top of the fort, everything has to be sorted, would be a catastophe if at battle a soldiers stumple over an oar or something. This area will also be the best place for pirates to sneak into the bastion. Yeah the bridge is needed to properly doch a big ship (one thing that lego ever missed out until today when they rereleased eldorado frotress, where you have a proper doch for e.g. the Barracuda!

Thanks! As I mentioned above, check Kings Castle for reference.

As a kid I struggeled to use them so it was a great challenge to use one again!

That is actually the intention, here at eurobricks have been some very good renditions of star chaped forts, would be great to see if it workes with this one, too. (I have just one so could not try it out! :pir-huzzah1:)

Thank you! My old fortress is boxed, but I will check how to connect them both when I build it next time!

For colours check Kings castle as an example :pir_tong2: because its third time mentioned, was there a rule that says: the entry has to be designed how lego would make a set at todays standards? Then I missed that one, because this entry and the Caribbean Brig both are built as it would have been done in the 80s/90s (at least, as I would have done it, if I would have been born and working at LEGO HQ).

Every extra cannon makes the customer happy :cannon::pir-triumph:

I am not sure if it is too large, in contrast to eldorado fortress it is not very high and therefore more attachements to the sied of the baseplate are done (but I have to admit that I did not counted any pieces...)

Thanks @Mazin, you create very long and good critic posts with tons of suggestions and even helped out here! Special thanks to you! :pir-thumb:

You're very welcome :)

As for colors and Your reflections of knights, well Knights were an entirely different theme, with different rules and different color paulette, they started with grey and black walls and so it was normal to go with them, and they were historically acurate too, BUT, with all that grey and black they also used a lot of colorful elements to balcance it, like flags, colorful outfits for knights, plumes and of course caparisons for horses! And horses themselves brought some color too, often being brown or white, with colorful saddles and colorful pennant's on their riders' lances :)

Amd Castle is somewhat associated with dark times, dark ages, after all that's medieval! It was supposed to be grey and deppressing and wet ;)

And Pirates started with colorful Eldorado and Baracuda on the other hand. Those were completely different, carribean vibes, sun, vacation, tropics, beaches, palmtress. Even if the Rock Island Refuge seems somewhat out of place, cause it;s dark and depressing, tho it's got a bit of green and brown shades too.  I like Your bastion as an idea, but it would be suited better for the neverrealeased Europa theme, with Ancient Regime/Revolutionary France tones, as this structure seems like if some new governor arrived to the colonies and didn't care about local tones at all, creating his version of Bastille instead ;)

Now to think of it, i guess the simplest way to make it work better would to b be to balance that grey-black scheme of fortification with colorful uniforms of the garrison. Like we had ideas for orange and purple outfits for soldiers, so i guess that's also something that could be done in the future. Blue uniforms simply blend with the structure a bit ;)

But it doesn't change the fact that i realy like this work a lot :)  

Edited by Mazin