MontyMatte

[ENTRY] Captain's Cabin (Mini set)

Ahoy together,

since I'm still busy with another MOC, I'm happy that the Mini Set challenge still offers an opportunity to participate in this great contest.

Name: Captain's Cabin
Category: Mini set 49 pcs. ("A new Classic-Style set")

MqxtO60.jpeg

With the captain's cabin, I've tried to find a balanced mix between classic elements and colors as well as more modern content.
The window is of course based on the Barracuda ship. Magnifying glass and rat should brighten up the scenery a bit.

Below some pictures from different angles...

oXCZ0fw.jpeg

9aYYxCg.jpeg

...and finally just for fun ;)

sVgApOZ.jpeg

Hope you like it and of course I'm happy about any kind of feedback :)
Keep Sailing & see you soon

BR, Tobi / MM

Edited by MontyMatte

Wow, this mini category is getting out of control! Fabulous creation, great idea and overall design. Another of those such unique sets. Very detailed and very well designed. Love the idea of using the modified tile for the seat to be able to fit the peg leg! Speaking of which, it could be of a different color to represent a seat cushion and I do miss the back of the seat. Great work!

A great little vignette with many excellent details!  I love the sloping window, the sword holder, the parrot's perch, and especially the melted wax beard.  I would use your extra part to add a 1x1 round plate with open stud placed on the jumper tile to reinforce the parrot's perch -- it looks a bit unstable as it is.  Or, add epaulets to the captain.

Very well done, a charming build that evokes some great storytelling with the animals and accessories.

Awesome build! Lovely little space that would make a great display piece, might offer some good parts as a set too. I love all those elements, and the rat brings a lot of charm. Makes a great duo with that parrot. And what a cool looking place to sit that parrot has, almost as good as captain's chair.

I think the whole think might look even better if You could use those two things that are sticking out of wall in both top corners as a fire holders, this would give Your captain a bit more light to work and ( if it wouldn't burn the ship of course ) and bring more life to the top part of the set...  that is You could find one piece that could be sacrificed. 

I understand that white beard represents melting wax from that candle? :) Interesting. Not sure if it wouldn't be confusing for others tho, as they just might wonder why there is a beard in such place ;) Then again it's a nice element, and i guess Your captain could use it for christmas parties, wouldn't he. 

Anyway. Great stuff and Great presentation. 

Edited by Mazin

13 hours ago, MontyMatte said:

With the captain's cabin, I've tried to find a balanced mix between classic elements and colors as well as more modern content.

And you've succeeded!  It's a great update to what I assume is the cabin of the Black Seas Barracuda!

I have added it to the Entries Index.

Fantastic entry @MontyMatte :pir-thumb:

Question: what is this part which you used on the chair, some kind of tile-modified? I'm not able to find it Studio, do you have a bricklink number?

On 8/23/2023 at 9:40 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

I like that set! :pir-triumph: Nice usage of the beard for candle wax drips.

Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate you've higlightened the wax/beard :)

12 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

And you've succeeded!  It's a great update to what I assume is the cabin of the Black Seas Barracuda!

I have added it to the Entries Index.

Hi Mr Phes :)
Thanks so much for your words and also for adding my creation to the index :)

1 hour ago, Marooned Marin said:

Fantastic entry @MontyMatte :pir-thumb:

Question: what is this part which you used on the chair, some kind of tile-modified? I'm not able to find it Studio, do you have a bricklink number?

Hi my friend :)

First of all: Thank you!

It's this part... https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=93590#T=A

You can probably also build wonderful (wooden) details with it and I once saw an armchair in which this part was used - unfortunately I can't find it anymore

I love that medium nougat for the floor and other color choices, the rest of the build especially the candle, perfect. Now all we need to see is the back of the cabin, perhaps there is a cool design, or was this axed, because of the part limit? Anyway, happy building :)  

Very small, very effective build. Echoing the sentiments of others, using the beard as candle wax was a nice touch!

Only thing I would honestly nit-pick would be the choice of chair for the Captains' Cabin.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:06 PM, MstrOfPppts said:

Wow, this mini category is getting out of control! Fabulous creation, great idea and overall design. Another of those such unique sets. Very detailed and very well designed. Love the idea of using the modified tile for the seat to be able to fit the peg leg! Speaking of which, it could be of a different color to represent a seat cushion and I do miss the back of the seat. Great work!

Thank you very much! I think the idea of using a different color for the seat is great. You are also right about the back of the seat. Unfortunately, the set has 49 parts and I couldn't do without any of them. So I gave up the back.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:13 PM, iragm said:

A great little vignette with many excellent details!  I love the sloping window, the sword holder, the parrot's perch, and especially the melted wax beard.  I would use your extra part to add a 1x1 round plate with open stud placed on the jumper tile to reinforce the parrot's perch -- it looks a bit unstable as it is.  Or, add epaulets to the captain.

Very well done, a charming build that evokes some great storytelling with the animals and accessories.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Glad you highlighted your favorite details. The perch is already stable, but you are certainly right. I would also have placed a kind of holder under the candle - but 49 parts. I don't know which one to leave out ;)

On 8/24/2023 at 10:13 AM, Mazin said:

Awesome build! Lovely little space that would make a great display piece, might offer some good parts as a set too. I love all those elements, and the rat brings a lot of charm. Makes a great duo with that parrot. And what a cool looking place to sit that parrot has, almost as good as captain's chair.

I think the whole think might look even better if You could use those two things that are sticking out of wall in both top corners as a fire holders, this would give Your captain a bit more light to work and ( if it wouldn't burn the ship of course ) and bring more life to the top part of the set...  that is You could find one piece that could be sacrificed. 

I understand that white beard represents melting wax from that candle? :) Interesting. Not sure if it wouldn't be confusing for others tho, as they just might wonder why there is a beard in such place ;) Then again it's a nice element, and i guess Your captain could use it for christmas parties, wouldn't he. 

Anyway. Great stuff and Great presentation. 

Hi. Thank you for this refreshing feedback - I had to smile :) Your criticisms are well chosen. I think the highlighting of the upper part with light/fire is excellent. Thanks for that too. The only real problem is that I don't know which part(s) to take away somewhere else. I physically built this set first and when it was transferred to Studio it had 60 parts.

On 8/26/2023 at 5:41 AM, JeffBuilds said:

Very small, very effective build. Echoing the sentiments of others, using the beard as candle wax was a nice touch!

Only thing I would honestly nit-pick would be the choice of chair for the Captains' Cabin.

Thank you for your feedback... You're right: the chair is the first thing I would revise :)

57 minutes ago, MontyMatte said:

Thank you very much! I think the idea of using a different color for the seat is great. You are also right about the back of the seat. Unfortunately, the set has 49 parts and I couldn't do without any of them. So I gave up the back.

Hello and thank you for your feedback. Glad you highlighted your favorite details. The perch is already stable, but you are certainly right. I would also have placed a kind of holder under the candle - but 49 parts. I don't know which one to leave out ;)

Hi. Thank you for this refreshing feedback - I had to smile :) Your criticisms are well chosen. I think the highlighting of the upper part with light/fire is excellent. Thanks for that too. The only real problem is that I don't know which part(s) to take away somewhere else. I physically built this set first and when it was transferred to Studio it had 60 parts.

Thank you for your feedback... You're right: the chair is the first thing I would revise :)

You're welcome and thanx for responding :) 

On 8/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, Rogue Redcoat said:

I love that medium nougat for the floor and other color choices, the rest of the build especially the candle, perfect. Now all we need to see is the back of the cabin, perhaps there is a cool design, or was this axed, because of the part limit? Anyway, happy building :)  

Thanks for the kind words. In fact I had some ideas for the back of the cabin - but you're right: The limitation doesn't give me the opportunity.
Good luck in the contest btw :)

I really like this set, and it totally fits the idea what Lego would release in a wave in 2023. I'm not 100% sold on the beard as candle wax, but other than that it's qute awesome :)