1 hour ago, danth said:

Does that mean Lego stores and website only?

As far as I know, yeah. LEGOLAND parks and the LEGO House might also get them, but I've never seen them at ordinary third-party retailers. Granted, it's been a few years since I did a whole lot of in-person toy shopping, so it's possible that's changed?

9 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Ah, hahaha "Space Explorers Pack" is simply the 3 cheapest existing sets in one box...

I thought that this is what it was going to be . Back then I saw the parts added together, from the three set,was the same.

I am a bit disappointed, but saving about $5 is still okay. I don't have any of the three yet so it is a good option to get the three sets.

1 hour ago, danth said:

However, I do think people really like cute aliens. I submitted an entry to a Space themed Lego contest a while back, and it was a spaceship zooming over alien terrain, with a small throwaway green alien looking up. Most of the comments were about that damn alien! "Oh it's so cute". Yeah but...spaceship?

Looking at it, I would say because there are so many microspaceships out there and the alien is what makes it stand out from them. 

Does anyone have any updates of what set 40687 Space GWP will be?  I am hoping it will be a reimagining of an older set like the Blacktron Cruiser from last year.  Are we getting any similar reimaginings of classic sets this year?  Earlier this year I thought that the 'large black ship' coming out later this year will be a Blacktron 1 or 2 ship, but now we know it is neither of those and will be based on a new ship for an upcoming Lego movie.  Are there any new leaks or clues of what it could be?

Dude. DUUUDE.

I just built the Friends Space Research Rover, set 42602. It's soooo freaking good. This is basically the Space theme I've been wanting forever, with the exception of it having minidolls and stickers. The minidolls are easily replaceable, the stickers not as much but I have a plan to replace at least some with printed parts.

But my gosh. Purple windscreens! TWO 4-wide Speed Champion windscreens, TWO MORE 6-wide, a single large rounded panel, plus FOUR 2-wide window panels. Basically the variety provided enables any kind of MOC; bases, spaceships, whatever you want. And the wheels! Big beautiful vibrant orange space wheels. They could be used as engines or as columns under a moon base.

This is pretty close to what I wanted in a Space themed Creator set because of the parts. I kind of want to buy 2 more sets for alt builds: one to build a space ship, and one to build a base.

The little alien build is also super cool. I'm more into the vehicle side of things but the plant-based alien ecology is pretty amazing, especially with the transparent colored leaf parts.

The City sets should've been in those colours (and thus also not labelled as City).

7 hours ago, Artanis I said:

The City sets should've been in those colours (and thus also not labelled as City).

But then they'd be perfect. You can't have perfect space sets, that violates Lego's contract with Disney.

4 hours ago, danth said:

But then they'd be perfect. You can't have perfect space sets, that violates Lego's contract with Disney.

I would really like to see the proof for that claim, we discussed that before and just stating it again and again doesn´t make it any more true. 

21 hours ago, Digitalsound1 said:

Does anyone have any updates of what set 40687 Space GWP will be?  I am hoping it will be a reimagining of an older set like the Blacktron Cruiser from last year.  Are we getting any similar reimaginings of classic sets this year?  Earlier this year I thought that the 'large black ship' coming out later this year will be a Blacktron 1 or 2 ship, but now we know it is neither of those and will be based on a new ship for an upcoming Lego movie.  Are there any new leaks or clues of what it could be?

No new info yet. Can basically be anything from a Retro Set to one accompanying the City/Friends space themes. All info we have now is that it will have 239 pieces, which is quite some less than the Blacktron Cruiser had. Could really be anything.

Rumor: Classic Space Diner GWP coming next month. 2 Classic Space minifigs, white and orange. Alien chef.

22 minutes ago, danth said:

Rumor: Classic Space Diner GWP coming next month. 2 Classic Space minifigs, white and orange. Alien chef.

What? Space Diner? 

Cool to get the orange one again but I would still wish to get the purple one instead of another white one. Well I would guess we will see the purple one coming sooner or later too. I would almost bet, that the chef will have green "skin" ;).

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

Cool to get the orange one again but I would still wish to get the purple one instead of another white one.

Right? The purple guy was in an employee only set -- I wonder if that means he's around for an upcoming official set? Maybe we'll get the white, orange, and purple guys in an upcoming CLASSIC. SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SETTM that comes with all the trans yellow windows from the Micro Rocket GWP and perhaps the Monkie Kid Megapolis. But now I'm dreaming. 

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

I would almost bet, that the chef will have green "skin" ;).

Maybe using the existing alien head from 2024 City Space.

2 hours ago, danth said:

Next month will have one or more Star Wars GWPs for May the 4th week.  I don't think Lego runs other GWPs at the same time as I recall.  So if there is another GWP in May, it would be in the second half, correct?

Personally, I've given up on a purple astronaut being officially released.  I think we'll get another color before we get purple, but that's just my speculation.  I'm also not very hopeful about another CS set.  I think the current crosscutting space theme is drowning out any other space items.  On the other hand, doing the classic space micro-set in February was nice, but it seemed out of place lacking anything else classic space.  It was also offered at what almost certainly is a low sales time for Lego.

I think it’s an odd decision they came up with GWP as a space diner but I agree that it’s really nice to get an orange spaceman. White one is meh. 

2 hours ago, Space78 said:

Next month will have one or more Star Wars GWPs for May the 4th week.  I don't think Lego runs other GWPs at the same time as I recall.  So if there is another GWP in May, it would be in the second half, correct?

Personally, I've given up on a purple astronaut being officially released.  I think we'll get another color before we get purple, but that's just my speculation.  I'm also not very hopeful about another CS set.  I think the current crosscutting space theme is drowning out any other space items.  On the other hand, doing the classic space micro-set in February was nice, but it seemed out of place lacking anything else classic space.  It was also offered at what almost certainly is a low sales time for Lego.

Brickmerge says the 14th.

3 hours ago, danth said:

Right? The purple guy was in an employee only set -- I wonder if that means he's around for an upcoming official set? Maybe we'll get the white, orange, and purple guys in an upcoming CLASSIC. SPACE. THEMED. CREATOR. SETTM that comes with all the trans yellow windows from the Micro Rocket GWP and perhaps the Monkie Kid Megapolis. But now I'm dreaming. 

That is why I thought he would be a cool choice, though of course they made those sets and were done with the figure, so doesn´t really matter for them wether they bring back that one or an other.

3 hours ago, danth said:

Maybe using the existing alien head from 2024 City Space.

Yeah, though I wouldn´t be surprised if they would use the 2x2 dome from friends instead.

I got four of the Minifigure Visual History books on clearance for £7 each for the orange classic space figure and was happy with that. Always thought it was a bad move to put them exclusively in an expensive book. And now they're doing them in a GWP. It would be nice if these were in a set available to buy. Perhaps they will appear on PaB.

The description of the GWP sounds great though. Looking forward to seeing it.

21 hours ago, danth said:

Dude. DUUUDE.

I just built the Friends Space Research Rover, set 42602. It's soooo freaking good...

It really is, isn't it? I continue to be so impressed with the Friends sets. I genuinely believe they are the best line LEGO does. It balances so well everything LEGO should be, to me. That set is pretty terrific.

8 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I would really like to see the proof for that claim, we discussed that before and just stating it again and again doesn´t make it any more true. 

No new info yet. Can basically be anything from a Retro Set to one accompanying the City/Friends space themes. All info we have now is that it will have 239 pieces, which is quite some less than the Blacktron Cruiser had. Could really be anything.

Where did you get the information about the 239 piece count?  This is the 40687 set?  239 pieces is not that much compared to the Blacktron Cruiser's 356 pieces.  My guess is that whatever it is, it is going to be smaller than the Blacktron Cruiser.  Maybe if it's a Retro set, it's going to be a smaller ship or land vehicle?

9 hours ago, danth said:

Where did you get this information?  Is this the 40687 Space GWP set?  The Space 40687 GWP set is rumored to be coming out in May.  Based on your description, I can say that it isn't a Retro set based on any 80s or 90s sets.

Posted (edited)

I was really hoping for a purple Spaceman in that GWP instead of the white one since it's the only color that didn't came out already (except that one 2023 design seminar employee gift set). I already own the orange one and it's bad enough I had to spend 20 bucks for the book to get it while the LUG's could just order them in massive quantities a couple of years ago.

Edited by R0Sch

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, GreenhouseBricker said:

Do you think the orange classic spaceman could be the new orange/red colour?

I somewhat doubt it, since that would require quite a few more recolors than the orange one. After all, even aside from the helmets and airtanks, LEGO has not yet had monochrome Reddish Orange leg or torso assemblies in any set at this point, with or without printing!

15 hours ago, Lion King said:

I think it’s an odd decision they came up with GWP as a space diner but I agree that it’s really nice to get an orange spaceman.

One thing I find charming about a space diner as a concept is that it'd be "retro" in more ways than one! I wonder whether it will opt for a similar design language to Classic Space bases/outposts or if it'll have a curvier sort of look in keeping with the streamlined aesthetic of a lot of real-life diners.

There is something very charming about the idea of a diner converted from a Classic Space outpost or designed to resemble one, similar to how a number of real-life diners were converted from train cars or designed to resemble them!

Edited by Aanchir

1 minute ago, Aanchir said:

There is something very charming about the idea of a diner converted from a Classic Space outpost or designed to resemble one, similar to how a number of real-life diners were converted from train cars or designed to resemble them!

I agree, it's a great idea.  Of course there were diners/cantinas in many science fiction franchises. 

I'm just not sure it will be too elaborate if it's really going to be a GWP. 

1 minute ago, Space78 said:

I agree, it's a great idea.  Of course there were diners/cantinas in many science fiction franchises. 

I'm just not sure it will be too elaborate if it's really going to be a GWP. 

Yeah, probably not. That said, most Classic Space type outpost builds weren't that elaborate themselves, which is part of why the idea of one converted to a diner for this sort of set even occurred to me! I'm imagining something somewhere within the size range of of the "building" portions of Alpha 1 Rocket Base and Space Command Center (without the launchpad, car port, or comms tower assemblies), with a counter and a few booths inside.

It helps that a lot of diners tend to be wide, flat structures, closer in proportions to the Lars Family Homestead Kitchen or Winter Market Stall than to Majisto's Magical Workshop, and that bases and outposts in traditional Space themes were generally not particularly enclosed compared to their more recent City counterparts.

13 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Yeah, though I wouldn´t be surprised if they would use the 2x2 dome from friends instead.

I can definitely imagine a brick-built alien chef behind the diner counter using either style of alien head, and two to four tentacle arms for holding food and utensils. And either the minifig-style head or the 2x2 dome head with a plate on top would be able to wear a chef's hat for an additional touch of humor!

I wonder what sort of food will be included. Packets of dehydrated or or liquefied space food would have some retro charm, but would not really require the sort of prep work you'd really need a diner chef for, so I am imagining something more fanciful like a salad or sandwich made with some of the colorful alien plant pieces we've seen in this year's Space sets. And of course a couple of drink mugs like the ones in the Galaxy Explorer!

Mind you, if the final set's contents aren't like the stuff I'm imagining, it could still be a very nifty set in its own right. I'm just rattling off possibilities that occur to me! I can picture a lot of different directions LEGO could take with a set like this.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

One thing I find charming about a space diner as a concept is that it'd be "retro" in more ways than one! I wonder whether it will opt for a similar design language to Classic Space bases/outposts or if it'll have a curvier sort of look in keeping with the streamlined aesthetic of a lot of real-life diners.

Googie style would be fun, but that might be hard to pull off with Lego.

Yeah, i think Google style might be a challenge when it comes to GWP. I mean, traditionally, GWP sets have low piece counts. Probably,  barstools, countertop, kitchen with two walls, i assume. 

Does anyone have any educated guesses about whether or not we will get another reimagining of a classic set this year?  Could we get a large set like the Galaxy Explorer or a smaller GWP set like the Blacktron Cruiser?  The chances are that if we end up getting a set like this it would probably have to be much later this year because I would have heard of some leaks by now.  Given that Lego is publicly celebrating their 60th anniversary of space, I would think that they would want to add a reimagining of a vintage space set for this year like they did in the last two years.