On 3/24/2024 at 1:17 PM, danth said:

More like: you either have all the elements that the first 20 years of Space had, or you don't. The more you have, the more it feels like Space to me.

Ah, OK; fair. I think that we agree, then. 

On 3/28/2024 at 5:47 AM, Artanis I said:

Simply substituting the legs for the ones from Galaxy Squad, and adding a yellow visor:

I am not completely sold on the visor colour, but the legs look great! 

16 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Again one more reason not to blindly follow "leaks" anticipating Blacktron like 9 months ahead of time, and then if it doesn't happen is not LEGO's fault, it's over-expecting on some potential set name / description way ahead of time.

Agreed. As a fan of in-house themes  (I’m not a fan of Space, Pirates or Castle alone, I’m just in the middle), I was excited to see another non-licensed spaceship like Galaxy Explorer. It’s indeed fans’ fault for high Expecto on.  “Black spaceship” descpriton was very vague and it was leaked as early as August of 2023.

But somehting bothers me about Space fans - it seems some of them are very picky toward the rapper’s spaceship set. I gt that they want Classic Space stuff for old time’s sake.

We haven’t seen images yet. So i rather reserve my judgment until images turn up.

On 8/15/2023 at 1:04 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Per BrickMerge, via @Falconfan1414, sets 40715 and 40716 (Alien Pack and Alien Planet Habitat) are going to be GWPs. 😕
This is rather disappointing, both due to their (lack of) availability and to the possibility that they will be BrickHeadz-style display items (rather than Minifig-based). 

Pictures for both are up, and supposed to be released in may.

40715 has 181 pieces and will be 14,99€, including a classic spacemen, with a not classic face (no idea who made that choice, but it does look kinda creepy to me)

40716 has 206 pieces and also will cost 14,99. No minifigures here.

Both are based on the City/Friends Spacesets and include buildable wildlife. I kinda like them, though I wish they would have used the classic face for the spacemen (of course that is easy to fix)

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

Both are based on the City/Friends Spacesets and include buildable wildlife. I kinda like them, though I wish they would have used the classic face for the spacemen (of course that is easy to fix)

I’m not surprised that they use modern face for classic spaceman. In any case, I would swap modern face out with classic face… but I am fan of modern face myself.

Just now, Lion King said:

I’m not surprised that they use modern face for classic spaceman. In any case, I would swap modern face out with classic face… but I am fan of modern face myself.

Yeah, well but if they want to use a modern face, then the modern space minifigures from City would be the better fit. With the plants and aliens known, or better said related to that from city and friends, that would be the more fitting choice anyways.

Not that I complain that we get a classic space figure instead, though, since they were not in production anymore anyways, I would have wished they would bring back another colour we didn´t had in the galaxy explorer just recently.

17 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Not that I complain that we get a classic space figure instead, though, since they were not in production anymore anyways, I would have wished they would bring back another colour we didn´t had in the galaxy explorer just recently.

The space figure is not very exciting other than if you like the space print.  All of the parts to make a white spaceman are still available on pick a brick, so no need to get the set just for the minifigure - unless you want the face print.

Just now, Space78 said:

The space figure is not very exciting other than if you like the space print.  All of the parts to make a white spaceman are still available on pick a brick, so no need to get the set just for the minifigure - unless you want the face print.

I´d say this set is actually the reason why it is still avaiable at Pick a Prick. But yeah, as I said, overall a strange decision.

I like modern faces nd I don’t like classic faces. 

but I understand that classic spaceman should have classic face. To me, I don’t think. It’s a strange decision to include a modern face. It’s not a first time for me to see - there is a Brown Spaceman from Series 24 with a blue Astro bay (with modern face).

3 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I like modern faces nd I don’t like classic faces. 

but I understand that classic spaceman should have classic face. To me, I don’t think. It’s a strange decision to include a modern face. It’s not a first time for me to see - there is a Brown Spaceman from Series 24 with a blue Astro bay (with modern face).

The Brown Spaceman has a classic face though, and well the baby uses a more childish look with how the eyes are designed, but overall it still the smile is quite similar to the classic face.

Oh, these look like very fun parts packs for plant and creature parts! I can certainly imagine people repurposing the parts to come up with their own original alien designs. The new alien eye tile is also very cute, and complements this year's City/Friends/Duplo alien designs very nicely.

30 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

The Brown Spaceman has a classic face though, and well the baby uses a more childish look with how the eyes are designed, but overall it still the smile is quite similar to the classic face.

Maybe I’m not writing very good but I know Brown Spaceman has classic face while baby spaceman has modern face.  Sure the baby’s face looks childish but it still doesn’t match with adult spaceman’s face anyways. It’s that strange decision they made. 

I’m fine adult spaceman with modern face, in my opinion 

The face of the space woman is the same of the last Christmas "santa wife" BAM Minifigure (still available in all BAM towers)

Posted (edited)

I am genuinely annoyed that the White Classic Spaceman, the only one to have been in more than a single set in the last ten years, is being used a third time here. Pink and Yellow were exclusive to the Benny pack, Red was exclusive to Galaxy Explorer, Green hasn’t been seen since the Mech set, Purple and Gray required assembly, Brown was a CMF and Orange was exclusive to that book . . but no, White gets three sets. That doesn’t even make sense, Red and Yellow were the originals and Blue is the most iconic because Benny and also Classic Space’s inherent blue/grey/trans-yellow aesthetic. (Relatedly, how has it been ten years since TLM and we still don’t have a non-scratched up version of Benny’s torso print?)

While I’m soapboxing, can we please get a reissue of the Black Classic Spaceman? It’s the only one I don’t have (even managed to find an old but pristine Blue torso to use with the helmet from Gamers’ Market, so I’m fine for Blue, but for everyone else’s sake they should still make new Blue and Black).

Edited by Fenghuang0296

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I am genuinely annoyed that the White Classic Spaceman, the only one to have been in more than a single set in the last ten years, is being used a third time here. Pink and Yellow were exclusive to the Benny pack, Red was exclusive to Galaxy Explorer, Green hasn’t been seen since the Mech set, Purple and Gray required assembly, Brown was a CMF and Orange was exclusive to that book . . but no, White gets three sets. That doesn’t even make sense, Red and Yellow were the originals and Blue is the most iconic because Benny and also Classic Space’s inherent blue/grey/trans-yellow aesthetic. (Relatedly, how has it been ten years since TLM and we still don’t have a non-scratched up version of Benny’s torso print?)

While I’m soapboxing, can we please get a reissue of the Black Classic Spaceman? It’s the only one I don’t have (even managed to find an old but pristine Blue torso to use with the helmet from Gamers’ Market, so I’m fine for Blue, but for everyone else’s sake they should still make new Blue and Black).

Yellow (1979, 1982 in a set) was not an original color.  The originals were red and white (1978), so it does make sense (to me) to be continuing white as the "common" space minifig.  I think this is also seen in prices/availability.  White and red tend to be the cheapest and most widely available of the original space minifigs, with yellow close behind.

As far as re-makes of blue and black, IMO we are not going to get them.  Some where, some how within corporate Lego, there seems to be someone (or a division) that make sure the "collector" part of Lego lives on.  Or maybe it's that the "heritage" of vintage Lego is maintained.  No idea, really, but there are a number of vintage Lego sets/parts people wish Lego would make again, but the odds seem vanishingly small.

Edited by Space78

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

I feel like this is a case where the designer only had one new element frame for 40715 and 40716, which they used for the printed eye tile. They probably just chose to include the white Classic Space torso and helmet as a bonus since they're still in production and haven't been in a low-priced set like these ones since Benny's Space Squad. But I agree it's less exciting than another color would've been.

Edited by Aanchir

I'm pretty excited to see the Classic Space person! It's the only one in any 2024 set right? It's nice to have SOMETHING to tie the "Year of Space" back to the original Space theme!

I like the face with glasses. Modern faces look super cool in the old Space get-up. Perhaps Neo Classic Space MOCs prepared me for this (though they often use fleshies). The black airtank is a puzzler. I'm almost inclined to give that a pass as it reminds me of mixing colors as a kid to get new combos; I think they did this in some Idea Books too. It would probably look cooler if she had a black waist and gloves too.

Also the two alien sets don't appear to be City sets. Or Classic or Creator sets. Are these literally just Space sets??!!

26 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I feel like this is a case where the designer only had one new element frame for 40715 and 40716, which they used for the printed eye tile. They probably just chose to include the white Classic Space torso and helmet as a bonus since they're still in production and haven't been in a low-priced set like these ones since Benny's Space Squad. But I agree it's less exciting than another color would've been.

Are they in production though? I mean sure, they are still on Pick a Brick, but it seems more like it is still around because of this set to me. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, danth said:

I'm pretty excited to see the Classic Space person! It's the only one in any 2024 set right? It's nice to have SOMETHING to tie the "Year of Space" back to the original Space theme!

I like the face with glasses. Modern faces look super cool in the old Space get-up. Perhaps Neo Classic Space MOCs prepared me for this (though they often use fleshies). The black airtank is a puzzler. I'm almost inclined to give that a pass as it reminds me of mixing colors as a kid to get new combos; I think they did this in some Idea Books too. It would probably look cooler if she had a black waist and gloves too.

Also the two alien sets don't appear to be City sets. Or Classic or Creator sets. Are these literally just Space sets??!!

A lot of LEGO Brand retail exclusives like this have this sort of branding, with a yellow brick-patterned border on the left side and no theme name next to the LEGO logo. Some other recent examples include 40638, 40644, 40678, 40709, 40714, and 40725. I think the category is just referred to in house as "LEGO Extended Line" (or LEL for short). Though I guess the shared Space banner on these ones does set them apart from those earlier examples which didn't have any sort of "brand names" on the package at all besides "LEGO".

Edited by Aanchir

56 minutes ago, danth said:

I 100% agree with you on modern faces for Classic Spaceman! Neo Classic Space-people welcome

Great they made the white classic... but with black air tanks???

If I get 40715, I'm  going to place the spaceperson with the Galaxy Explorer and place the brick aliens with '24 City Space

Ah, hahaha "Space Explorers Pack" is simply the 3 cheapest existing sets in one box...

A nice little three pack of sets, but I was hoping for a minifig people pack. Shrug.

Posted (edited)

More thoughts on the aliens sets. I really, really wish the second alien set had a classic space minifig in another color. As it is, I don't have that much interest in it.

However, I do think people really like cute aliens. I submitted an entry to a Space themed Lego contest a while back, and it was a spaceship zooming over alien terrain, with a small throwaway green alien looking up. Most of the comments were about that damn alien! "Oh it's so cute". Yeah but...spaceship?

I wonder if one will sell more than the other.

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

LEGO Brand retail exclusives

Does that mean Lego stores and website only?

Edited by danth